Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Got me a Vectrex.  (Read 56014 times)

chopperthedog

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:27:26 pm
Got me a Vectrex.
« on: June 04, 2017, 02:56:56 pm »
It wasn't until I picked up my Asteroids Deluxe 3 years ago that I actually even learned what a Vectrex was. It was during my searches and reading up on vector monitors that I saw the little thing in some image results. Skimmed a quick history, watched a couple videos and was amazed with it. Casually kept an eye out over the last 3 years for one that didn't break the bank and wasn't beat to crap complete with a roached out controller cable for $400+ and no games. There were a couple nice setups that came with 20+ games for 2k+ and FIRM!! WILL NOT SPLIT!!!, NO LOWBALLERS bla bla bla.

Picked up this great package off Craigslist last Thursday for a very fair price. The 3 games do have the overlays and manuals.

The buttons on the controller were not registering consistently, especially button 4 (which makes sense now cause it's "fire" in like every game :p ). I didn't even want to try my hand at heating up and trying to peel back the overlay, so I just cut circles over the screws. Got everything cleaned and lubed, controls are spot on now. I'm probably just gonna leave the overlay like that for future access and to avoid blowing 12 bucks on a new one only to have to ruin it at some point.

Of course since I'm addicted to Everdrives I did some searches and saw what the main options were and how awful the secondary market is on ebay. On Friday I was chatting with a local collector friend and he offered to loan me his "Sean Kelly multicart" to try and he said or you can see if he has any since he's local to you. He sent me the phone number and I called.

me: Hi, a friend gave me the number to your store and said you guys might have the Vectrex multcart.
him: (slight chuckle) Hi, I'm Sean the guy that builds them.
me: Oh sh!t, how cool. Do you happen to have one for sale?
him: Yeah, 50 bucks.
me: See you in 30min with cash.

Now that was pretty cool, didn't have to wait for something from the Ukraine, get on some waiting list or get hosed on the secondary market. Nope, I was able to snag the 2016 2.5 version right from the actual dude the next day after picking up the Vectrex. Even Colonel Smith couldn't have planned that any better.

I also have a cap kit on order, but the coolest thing on the multicart is the test rom. After reading the service manual I was able to get dac offest adjusted and image dialed in to spec. While playing Hyper Chase (fantastic game) I noticed the steering was locked a little left, the test cart also helped with getting the internal centering trim pots set on the analog joystick. Such a cool piece of hardware, some really really fun games as well, which is pretty much all the cool b&w vector games. Vector monitors are pure eye sex in any form, one great home brew is "Patriots" and that one is awesome for vector Z hotness.

good day.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 03:09:58 pm by chopperthedog »

thomas_surles

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 19, 2023, 07:20:00 pm
Re: Got me a Vectrex.
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2017, 03:08:16 pm »
Im jealous. I need one in my collection but can't fork out the 400 to get one online. Im a cheap Bayard with expensive hobbies.

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2017, 05:40:57 pm »
Congrats on getting a working one!
I was able to pick one up about 5 years ago for $50, but it wasn't working. I put it in my storage for a future project, but now I'm thinking it's time to take a look at it. Thanks for the inspiration.

If you get a chance, check out Moon Lander, a homebrew consolized version of Lunar Lander. Plays great with the Vectrex's controller.

There are still active home brewers for the Vectrex and I'm sure you can find more gems out there.

adder

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 04, 2021, 10:51:51 am
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2017, 06:07:36 pm »
if u use facebook or dont mind facebook, i would recommend joining this group:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/104852679725118/

you'll get all the latest on what's happening in the vectrex scene there

ps. there is a new flash cart coming out soon called the vecfever which is very highly recommended  :)

! No longer available

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2017, 09:03:46 am »

I've been a Vectrex collector for many years.  Thank god I picked up the vast majority of my collection way back before retrogaming was anything other than people who collected junk Funcoland didn't buy.  Congrats, man, it's a great system.  Wait until you decide you absolutely must have the 3D goggles.

adder

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2017, 08:23:25 pm »
oh and get yourself a psychedelic overlay  :)
you can just use it for all games, that's what i do
(the original vectrex overlays were not very ambitious or exciting)
a guy called Steven Kray on the facebook group sells them..  $13
https://www.facebook.com/notes/104852679725118/Overlays%20from%20Steven%20Kray/523467281196987/

! No longer available

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 03, 2024, 06:00:00 am
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2017, 09:17:56 am »
That's a cool overlay.

Nice pick up. The Vectrex is on my list of cool items that I'll probably never own do to the price point.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2017, 09:32:36 am »

Wait on it.  Prices are absolutely insane right now.  They will go down.  They have to go down.  This stuff is NOT WORTH what idiots are paying for it right now.  I've been in this hobby for 20 years and it has never been anything like it is right now.

chopperthedog

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2017, 07:34:18 pm »
Caps came yesterday, got them all installed and very happy with results. It looked great before. but now it's much better. The details in little things such as the tiny ships in Solar Quest and Cosmic Chasm can be seen now. The programmed variance with the intensity of the Z axis is much more prominent, it was hard to tell which player had the ball in Blitz! and the difference in teams with Head On. Got this sucker dialed in now.

@opt2not. Moon Lander is included on the multicart, was pulling my hair out for a couple games with just the buttons til I realized the joystick does analog thrust. Fun stuff. After doing the cap job and learning more, these things are really just mini arcade units minus a coin mech. Check your voltages on +5 and -5 sounds cliche, but if you get nothing, replace the corresponding voltage regs or re-pin power connector to game baord.

@adder. Yeah, I'm not a FB type person at all, would take 5 figures tax free per year to get me on that cesspool. I saw the thread on atariage for the vecfever, looks like a nice product, we'll see if it pans out. I'll be quite fine with the sean kelly thingy for some time.
Pretty sure I placed an order on Sunday for 4 overlays through ebay from the same guy as the FB link. I ordered 4 kinda cool and unique ones, Armor Attack, Cosmic Chasm, Pole Position and Spin Ball. Seller sent me a pic of his modified Spin Ball that he came up with instead of the original and asked if I wanted to try it, I said sure.

@ChadTower haha, I don't want the original goggles, that's for sure, unless they're free. I did see the "homebrew" ones from a guy in Germany? though, those look kinda interesting. Yeah the prices are a little cray cray now, same could be said for a lot of various hobbies, even the arcade market. Persistence does pay off eventually, it was nice to run into a seller that wasn't wearing dollar sign sun glasses with crack stem burnt lips.

good day.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 08:09:08 pm by chopperthedog »

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2017, 08:08:13 pm »
This is BYOAC, how hard would it be to make one?
If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.

coasterlvr

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2023, 09:02:24 pm
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2017, 08:09:15 pm »
i've got one in my shed in the backyard.  i need to get it out.  i know that the cartridges stopped working.  i have a couple games around here somewhere.

chopperthedog

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2017, 08:48:36 pm »
Anything is possible on this site with illeagal roms, LCD panels, Pi's and wine barrels, presented from the 3rd person aspect.

Make one? seriously bro? honky paaahleeze......

good day.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2017, 09:08:17 pm »
@opt2not. Moon Lander is included on the multicart, was pulling my hair out for a couple games with just the buttons til I realized the joystick does analog thrust. Fun stuff. After doing the cap job and learning more, these things are really just mini arcade units minus a coin mech. Check your voltages on +5 and -5 sounds cliche, but if you get nothing, replace the corresponding voltage regs or re-pin power connector to game baord.
Yeah Moon Lander is pretty great with the analog. My favourite out of the homebrew.

Good looking out for the vectrex fix. I should pull it out of storage and start poking around.  :cheers:

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:02:22 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2017, 09:33:19 pm »
Anything is possible on this site with illeagal roms, LCD panels, Pi's and wine barrels, presented from the 3rd person aspect.

Make one? seriously bro? honky paaahleeze......

good day.

This is why I want to have Chopper's babies.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

adder

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2017, 09:31:36 am »
ooh another thing chopperdog if u havnt spotted these yet;
if u want to eliminate the vectrex buzzing noise:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/152563460846

(or u can DIY to eliminate most of the buzz, here):
https://console5.com/wiki/Vectrex_Shielded_Wire_Buzz_Reduction

chopperthedog

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2017, 09:46:06 am »
Ordered the debuzz kit at the same time as the caps from console5. I didn't install it though, the buzz really doesn't bother me. Just gonna leave that as a future option.

good day.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2017, 10:10:45 am »

People have made their own 3D goggles in the past.  Usually using a CD motor.

adder

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2017, 11:39:36 am »
Ordered the debuzz kit at the same time as the caps from console5. I didn't install it though, the buzz really doesn't bother me. Just gonna leave that as a future option.
good day.
some vectrex models buzz worse than others, perhaps you have one of the better ones
mine (hong kong model) was buzzing a bit too loud when i got it so i did the shielded audio cable mod and it really tamed the buzz. there's still a little buzz but it's so mild it's not a problem for me

ps. you can make you own light pen...   (or i think someone sells repro's on the facebook group)

http://www.playvectrex.com/vectech/mvlp/mvlp_f.htm

http://vectorgaming.proboards.com/thread/1420/lightpen-build-updated-components

light gun:

http://www.binarystarsoftware.com/?p=282

! No longer available

8BitMonk

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2023, 05:27:00 pm
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2017, 02:17:21 pm »
Very cool, congrats on the pickup! I've had my eye out for one of these for years as well, they just never pop up at what a reasonable price.
Games: Asteroids Deluxe | Atomiswave | Centipede | Championship Sprint | Defender | Donkey Kong | Dig Dug | Frogger | Ikari Warriors | Missile Command | Pac-Man | Pole Position | Robotron | Spy Hunter | Tempest | Super Mario Strikers

chopperthedog

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2017, 07:07:47 pm »
Received the ebay repro overlays. Ehhhh, meh, glad I only ordered 4. The transparency printing process isn't perfect and the detail in screen image degrades the further away it is from the overlay due to the convex nature of the tube, so you end up with fuzzy looking corners and score numbers. I'm sure most are fine with it, but these are not for me, I'd rather have nothing at all if the overlay is gonna degrade the awesome vector monitor details.

good day.

markc74

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 11:59:15 am
  • Flipping out
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137295.0.html
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2017, 07:20:37 pm »
Just to chime in - great score!  :applaud:

My friend had one when I was a kid and I was hooked on Pole Position and Minestorm. The music at the start of each level of Minestorm still gives me goose bumps.

adder

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2017, 07:54:35 pm »
Received the ebay repro overlays. Ehhhh, meh, glad I only ordered 4. The transparency printing process isn't perfect and the detail in screen image degrades the further away it is from the overlay due to the convex nature of the tube, so you end up with fuzzy looking corners and score numbers. I'm sure most are fine with it, but these are not for me, I'd rather have nothing at all if the overlay is gonna degrade the awesome vector monitor details.

good day.
hey that's a shame it didn't turn out so good,   here in general i quite like using an overlay as they seem to tame the effect of flicker a little. i did notice they smooth (blur) the screen a bit but i don't mind that effect. i only like to use an overlay in a darkened room though as it seems like with too much light in the room, it makes it harder to see through or 'past' the overlay

chopperthedog

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2017, 03:17:28 pm »
I'll get some pics for others to see. In the meantime if anyone is interested in 4 repro overlays (armor attack, cosmic chasm, pole position and custom spinball) for $40 shipped (no returns) in the 48 states, shoot me a pm.  :applaud: These have been sold.

good day.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 05:55:49 pm by chopperthedog »

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2017, 12:30:06 pm »

You rarely need the overlay for anything other than art anyway.  I usually don't bother.

chopperthedog

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2017, 10:20:40 am »
You rarely need the overlay for anything other than art anyway.  I usually don't bother.
Yeah I know, it's part of the charm of the unit though. There are like 11 or so I would like. After drinking and ebay'ing over the weekend, I have 3 more to go.  :applaud:

Here you can see my complaint about the inkjet repros floating around. It's quite "clear" which is the original... Get it... wakka wakka. Both overlays are just under 3/8" away from the text, but actually the repro is probably closer because of how flimsy the material is. Hard to get a good photo of it.

good day.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 10:22:24 am by chopperthedog »

chopperthedog

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2017, 09:54:50 am »
Received the 4 loose carts with overlays from eBay (cosmic chasm, solar quest, hyper chase and bedlam) armor attack arrived on Monday. I'm not afraid to buy scratched and trashed overlays now.

Seems the fronts of the overlays always took the most abuse and get scratched up bad. It's super easy to buff all that stuff out of the fronts. I have 2 separate wheels for my drill for each novus 2 & 3. The ink side on all the ones I've got are pretty good, there was a couple that needed a delicate touch of #2 with a cloth in small spots. Obviously don't use the drill on the ink side.

So glad the seller didn't clean it before packing it up.

With a drill, buffing pads and some nuvous, You Can Make Your Vectrex Overlays Great Again.

Current line up. Love em all. The hyper chase one looks great with patriots and some of the other homebrews. Still waiting on a couple others from the UK to come in. On the hunt for Star Hawk and Fortress of Narzod.

good day.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2017, 12:34:45 pm »
I love this thread.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:33:13 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2017, 12:37:27 pm »
I love that work space. I wish I had the discipline to be that clean and organized.

adder

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2017, 12:47:56 pm »
wowsers, amazing clean up job on those overlays!   :applaud:

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2017, 01:21:41 pm »

Nice work.  They look great.   :cheers:

chopperthedog

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2017, 06:57:36 pm »
Thanks guys, they really did polish up nicely, I was really worried about solar quest and cosmic chasm. Those 2 were pretty bad, it's a thick enough material and figured what the hell and busted out the drill. If you really zoom into the lights on the before of solar quest you can see how f'd up it was.

Having 3 overlays around was easy but 9 is a different story and needed a storage solution. Ran out to Staples today and found this sweet 13 pocket thingy for overlay storage. Front 2 pockets can hold couple carts and some manuals. Great solution for the guy that doesn't want to dick around with white envelopes.

Got home from Staples to find the package from the UK arrived.  :applaud:

It's from this fine gentleman and his fantastic product. http://www.vectrex.co.uk/shop4.htm I also ordered the generic green one as well. Both are top notch. Glad I ordered these.

good day.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 07:06:05 pm by chopperthedog »

chopperthedog

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2017, 08:28:14 pm »
I love that work space. I wish I had the discipline to be that clean and organized.
Some pics in this thread, was done out of necessity to get more games in the house >:D . Closets are pretty much worthless, but this one was given a purpose. http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,152135.0.html

You just need to be willing to throw sh!t away that you haven't looked at or touched in 4+ years.

good day.

chopperthedog

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2017, 10:09:42 pm »
I stopped at microcenter today to pick up some microSD cards and wandered off to the always trashed and sad project/component area. Stumbled upon 4 yellow "mini arcade buttons", no other colors, couldn't find anymore stock, there was just 4 of these. Brain instantly went into overload and I raced over to Fry's to obtain a robotics joystick and a slanted project box.

Was able to whip up this nifty little thing. The joystick is sooo nice and the buttons are pretty damn good as well. Perfect controller to have out when I have friends over, won't have to hover making sure they're not abusing my sh!t.

After some trial and error I came up with the absolute perfect combo of resistors to compensate for the 5k pots in the robotics joy, an original stick has 10k. Using the test rom I was able to have the original and mine side by side and get the sweep matched up on the new one. Played 2 minutes of hyperchase, yup feels the same....  :cheers:

Thing came out great. I had to go with the strain relief on the side because of the way the back of the box is molded, the bottom ridge is too tick to slot and work with the relief.

And a pic for size comparison to original. After about 20 minutes of play after building it, I'm pretty impressed. Will report back after some more gaming sessions.

good day.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 10:11:45 pm by chopperthedog »

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:33:13 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2017, 11:17:30 pm »
This thread just keeps producing gold.

JudgeRob

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 10:55:50 pm
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,149265.120.html
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2017, 11:52:52 pm »
That's a sexy ass machine man.  Good find!  :D

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2017, 12:04:35 am »
Is that really all there is to the controller?? Hmmm, a custom Moon Lander throttle isn't so far fetched after all!

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2017, 09:59:45 am »
Is that really all there is to the controller?? Hmmm, a custom Moon Lander throttle isn't so far fetched after all!

He sort of glossed over the fact that the robotics joystick has the pots built in for analog control and he had to do some real trial and error to match up proper resistors to match the new stick's range with the Vectrex stick's range.  It's some pretty nice work.

You could sell that controller on the Vectrex groups very easily.  People would buy it.

My favorite Vectrex controller is the Playstation to Vectrex adapter.  Fully analog Dual Shock control on the Vectrex with a PS1 controller.  Even when it was being made that thing was nearly unobtanium and I've never seen one in person other than the one I have.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:00:13 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2017, 10:59:12 am »
Well now you pretty much have to work up an overlay for that controller.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2017, 11:10:41 am »

Where did the molded 2600/serial style cable come from?

chopperthedog

• Offline Offline
« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2017, 08:31:10 pm »
Where did the molded 2600/serial style cable come from?
Harvested from a useless and beat to crap genesis controller. I might ponder looking into ordering materials to build some more and come up with a label.

Here's a video that shows the analog function against an original.

good day.