Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Got me a Vectrex.  (Read 56034 times)

chopperthedog

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 27, 2024, 09:27:26 pm
Got me a Vectrex.
« on: June 04, 2017, 02:56:56 pm »
It wasn't until I picked up my Asteroids Deluxe 3 years ago that I actually even learned what a Vectrex was. It was during my searches and reading up on vector monitors that I saw the little thing in some image results. Skimmed a quick history, watched a couple videos and was amazed with it. Casually kept an eye out over the last 3 years for one that didn't break the bank and wasn't beat to crap complete with a roached out controller cable for $400+ and no games. There were a couple nice setups that came with 20+ games for 2k+ and FIRM!! WILL NOT SPLIT!!!, NO LOWBALLERS bla bla bla.

Picked up this great package off Craigslist last Thursday for a very fair price. The 3 games do have the overlays and manuals.

The buttons on the controller were not registering consistently, especially button 4 (which makes sense now cause it's "fire" in like every game :p ). I didn't even want to try my hand at heating up and trying to peel back the overlay, so I just cut circles over the screws. Got everything cleaned and lubed, controls are spot on now. I'm probably just gonna leave the overlay like that for future access and to avoid blowing 12 bucks on a new one only to have to ruin it at some point.

Of course since I'm addicted to Everdrives I did some searches and saw what the main options were and how awful the secondary market is on ebay. On Friday I was chatting with a local collector friend and he offered to loan me his "Sean Kelly multicart" to try and he said or you can see if he has any since he's local to you. He sent me the phone number and I called.

me: Hi, a friend gave me the number to your store and said you guys might have the Vectrex multcart.
him: (slight chuckle) Hi, I'm Sean the guy that builds them.
me: Oh sh!t, how cool. Do you happen to have one for sale?
him: Yeah, 50 bucks.
me: See you in 30min with cash.

Now that was pretty cool, didn't have to wait for something from the Ukraine, get on some waiting list or get hosed on the secondary market. Nope, I was able to snag the 2016 2.5 version right from the actual dude the next day after picking up the Vectrex. Even Colonel Smith couldn't have planned that any better.

I also have a cap kit on order, but the coolest thing on the multicart is the test rom. After reading the service manual I was able to get dac offest adjusted and image dialed in to spec. While playing Hyper Chase (fantastic game) I noticed the steering was locked a little left, the test cart also helped with getting the internal centering trim pots set on the analog joystick. Such a cool piece of hardware, some really really fun games as well, which is pretty much all the cool b&w vector games. Vector monitors are pure eye sex in any form, one great home brew is "Patriots" and that one is awesome for vector Z hotness.

good day.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 03:09:58 pm by chopperthedog »

thomas_surles

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 19, 2023, 07:20:00 pm
Re: Got me a Vectrex.
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2017, 03:08:16 pm »
Im jealous. I need one in my collection but can't fork out the 400 to get one online. Im a cheap Bayard with expensive hobbies.

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2017, 05:40:57 pm »
Congrats on getting a working one!
I was able to pick one up about 5 years ago for $50, but it wasn't working. I put it in my storage for a future project, but now I'm thinking it's time to take a look at it. Thanks for the inspiration.

If you get a chance, check out Moon Lander, a homebrew consolized version of Lunar Lander. Plays great with the Vectrex's controller.

There are still active home brewers for the Vectrex and I'm sure you can find more gems out there.

adder

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 04, 2021, 10:51:51 am
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2017, 06:07:36 pm »
if u use facebook or dont mind facebook, i would recommend joining this group:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/104852679725118/

you'll get all the latest on what's happening in the vectrex scene there

ps. there is a new flash cart coming out soon called the vecfever which is very highly recommended  :)

! No longer available

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2017, 09:03:46 am »

I've been a Vectrex collector for many years.  Thank god I picked up the vast majority of my collection way back before retrogaming was anything other than people who collected junk Funcoland didn't buy.  Congrats, man, it's a great system.  Wait until you decide you absolutely must have the 3D goggles.

adder

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2017, 08:23:25 pm »
oh and get yourself a psychedelic overlay  :)
you can just use it for all games, that's what i do
(the original vectrex overlays were not very ambitious or exciting)
a guy called Steven Kray on the facebook group sells them..  $13
https://www.facebook.com/notes/104852679725118/Overlays%20from%20Steven%20Kray/523467281196987/

! No longer available

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 03, 2024, 06:00:00 am
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2017, 09:17:56 am »
That's a cool overlay.

Nice pick up. The Vectrex is on my list of cool items that I'll probably never own do to the price point.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2017, 09:32:36 am »

Wait on it.  Prices are absolutely insane right now.  They will go down.  They have to go down.  This stuff is NOT WORTH what idiots are paying for it right now.  I've been in this hobby for 20 years and it has never been anything like it is right now.

chopperthedog

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2017, 07:34:18 pm »
Caps came yesterday, got them all installed and very happy with results. It looked great before. but now it's much better. The details in little things such as the tiny ships in Solar Quest and Cosmic Chasm can be seen now. The programmed variance with the intensity of the Z axis is much more prominent, it was hard to tell which player had the ball in Blitz! and the difference in teams with Head On. Got this sucker dialed in now.

@opt2not. Moon Lander is included on the multicart, was pulling my hair out for a couple games with just the buttons til I realized the joystick does analog thrust. Fun stuff. After doing the cap job and learning more, these things are really just mini arcade units minus a coin mech. Check your voltages on +5 and -5 sounds cliche, but if you get nothing, replace the corresponding voltage regs or re-pin power connector to game baord.

@adder. Yeah, I'm not a FB type person at all, would take 5 figures tax free per year to get me on that cesspool. I saw the thread on atariage for the vecfever, looks like a nice product, we'll see if it pans out. I'll be quite fine with the sean kelly thingy for some time.
Pretty sure I placed an order on Sunday for 4 overlays through ebay from the same guy as the FB link. I ordered 4 kinda cool and unique ones, Armor Attack, Cosmic Chasm, Pole Position and Spin Ball. Seller sent me a pic of his modified Spin Ball that he came up with instead of the original and asked if I wanted to try it, I said sure.

@ChadTower haha, I don't want the original goggles, that's for sure, unless they're free. I did see the "homebrew" ones from a guy in Germany? though, those look kinda interesting. Yeah the prices are a little cray cray now, same could be said for a lot of various hobbies, even the arcade market. Persistence does pay off eventually, it was nice to run into a seller that wasn't wearing dollar sign sun glasses with crack stem burnt lips.

good day.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 08:09:08 pm by chopperthedog »

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2017, 08:08:13 pm »
This is BYOAC, how hard would it be to make one?
If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.

coasterlvr

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2023, 09:02:24 pm
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2017, 08:09:15 pm »
i've got one in my shed in the backyard.  i need to get it out.  i know that the cartridges stopped working.  i have a couple games around here somewhere.

chopperthedog

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2017, 08:48:36 pm »
Anything is possible on this site with illeagal roms, LCD panels, Pi's and wine barrels, presented from the 3rd person aspect.

Make one? seriously bro? honky paaahleeze......

good day.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2017, 09:08:17 pm »
@opt2not. Moon Lander is included on the multicart, was pulling my hair out for a couple games with just the buttons til I realized the joystick does analog thrust. Fun stuff. After doing the cap job and learning more, these things are really just mini arcade units minus a coin mech. Check your voltages on +5 and -5 sounds cliche, but if you get nothing, replace the corresponding voltage regs or re-pin power connector to game baord.
Yeah Moon Lander is pretty great with the analog. My favourite out of the homebrew.

Good looking out for the vectrex fix. I should pull it out of storage and start poking around.  :cheers:

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:58:57 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2017, 09:33:19 pm »
Anything is possible on this site with illeagal roms, LCD panels, Pi's and wine barrels, presented from the 3rd person aspect.

Make one? seriously bro? honky paaahleeze......

good day.

This is why I want to have Chopper's babies.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

adder

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2017, 09:31:36 am »
ooh another thing chopperdog if u havnt spotted these yet;
if u want to eliminate the vectrex buzzing noise:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/152563460846

(or u can DIY to eliminate most of the buzz, here):
https://console5.com/wiki/Vectrex_Shielded_Wire_Buzz_Reduction

chopperthedog

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2017, 09:46:06 am »
Ordered the debuzz kit at the same time as the caps from console5. I didn't install it though, the buzz really doesn't bother me. Just gonna leave that as a future option.

good day.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2017, 10:10:45 am »

People have made their own 3D goggles in the past.  Usually using a CD motor.

adder

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2017, 11:39:36 am »
Ordered the debuzz kit at the same time as the caps from console5. I didn't install it though, the buzz really doesn't bother me. Just gonna leave that as a future option.
good day.
some vectrex models buzz worse than others, perhaps you have one of the better ones
mine (hong kong model) was buzzing a bit too loud when i got it so i did the shielded audio cable mod and it really tamed the buzz. there's still a little buzz but it's so mild it's not a problem for me

ps. you can make you own light pen...   (or i think someone sells repro's on the facebook group)

http://www.playvectrex.com/vectech/mvlp/mvlp_f.htm

http://vectorgaming.proboards.com/thread/1420/lightpen-build-updated-components

light gun:

http://www.binarystarsoftware.com/?p=282

! No longer available

8BitMonk

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2023, 05:27:00 pm
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2017, 02:17:21 pm »
Very cool, congrats on the pickup! I've had my eye out for one of these for years as well, they just never pop up at what a reasonable price.
Games: Asteroids Deluxe | Atomiswave | Centipede | Championship Sprint | Defender | Donkey Kong | Dig Dug | Frogger | Ikari Warriors | Missile Command | Pac-Man | Pole Position | Robotron | Spy Hunter | Tempest | Super Mario Strikers

chopperthedog

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2017, 07:07:47 pm »
Received the ebay repro overlays. Ehhhh, meh, glad I only ordered 4. The transparency printing process isn't perfect and the detail in screen image degrades the further away it is from the overlay due to the convex nature of the tube, so you end up with fuzzy looking corners and score numbers. I'm sure most are fine with it, but these are not for me, I'd rather have nothing at all if the overlay is gonna degrade the awesome vector monitor details.

good day.

markc74

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:54:33 am
  • Flipping out
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137295.0.html
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2017, 07:20:37 pm »
Just to chime in - great score!  :applaud:

My friend had one when I was a kid and I was hooked on Pole Position and Minestorm. The music at the start of each level of Minestorm still gives me goose bumps.

adder

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2017, 07:54:35 pm »
Received the ebay repro overlays. Ehhhh, meh, glad I only ordered 4. The transparency printing process isn't perfect and the detail in screen image degrades the further away it is from the overlay due to the convex nature of the tube, so you end up with fuzzy looking corners and score numbers. I'm sure most are fine with it, but these are not for me, I'd rather have nothing at all if the overlay is gonna degrade the awesome vector monitor details.

good day.
hey that's a shame it didn't turn out so good,   here in general i quite like using an overlay as they seem to tame the effect of flicker a little. i did notice they smooth (blur) the screen a bit but i don't mind that effect. i only like to use an overlay in a darkened room though as it seems like with too much light in the room, it makes it harder to see through or 'past' the overlay

chopperthedog

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2017, 03:17:28 pm »
I'll get some pics for others to see. In the meantime if anyone is interested in 4 repro overlays (armor attack, cosmic chasm, pole position and custom spinball) for $40 shipped (no returns) in the 48 states, shoot me a pm.  :applaud: These have been sold.

good day.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 05:55:49 pm by chopperthedog »

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2017, 12:30:06 pm »

You rarely need the overlay for anything other than art anyway.  I usually don't bother.

chopperthedog

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2017, 10:20:40 am »
You rarely need the overlay for anything other than art anyway.  I usually don't bother.
Yeah I know, it's part of the charm of the unit though. There are like 11 or so I would like. After drinking and ebay'ing over the weekend, I have 3 more to go.  :applaud:

Here you can see my complaint about the inkjet repros floating around. It's quite "clear" which is the original... Get it... wakka wakka. Both overlays are just under 3/8" away from the text, but actually the repro is probably closer because of how flimsy the material is. Hard to get a good photo of it.

good day.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 10:22:24 am by chopperthedog »

chopperthedog

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2017, 09:54:50 am »
Received the 4 loose carts with overlays from eBay (cosmic chasm, solar quest, hyper chase and bedlam) armor attack arrived on Monday. I'm not afraid to buy scratched and trashed overlays now.

Seems the fronts of the overlays always took the most abuse and get scratched up bad. It's super easy to buff all that stuff out of the fronts. I have 2 separate wheels for my drill for each novus 2 & 3. The ink side on all the ones I've got are pretty good, there was a couple that needed a delicate touch of #2 with a cloth in small spots. Obviously don't use the drill on the ink side.

So glad the seller didn't clean it before packing it up.

With a drill, buffing pads and some nuvous, You Can Make Your Vectrex Overlays Great Again.

Current line up. Love em all. The hyper chase one looks great with patriots and some of the other homebrews. Still waiting on a couple others from the UK to come in. On the hunt for Star Hawk and Fortress of Narzod.

good day.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2017, 12:34:45 pm »
I love this thread.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:37:55 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2017, 12:37:27 pm »
I love that work space. I wish I had the discipline to be that clean and organized.

adder

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2017, 12:47:56 pm »
wowsers, amazing clean up job on those overlays!   :applaud:

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2017, 01:21:41 pm »

Nice work.  They look great.   :cheers:

chopperthedog

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2017, 06:57:36 pm »
Thanks guys, they really did polish up nicely, I was really worried about solar quest and cosmic chasm. Those 2 were pretty bad, it's a thick enough material and figured what the hell and busted out the drill. If you really zoom into the lights on the before of solar quest you can see how f'd up it was.

Having 3 overlays around was easy but 9 is a different story and needed a storage solution. Ran out to Staples today and found this sweet 13 pocket thingy for overlay storage. Front 2 pockets can hold couple carts and some manuals. Great solution for the guy that doesn't want to dick around with white envelopes.

Got home from Staples to find the package from the UK arrived.  :applaud:

It's from this fine gentleman and his fantastic product. http://www.vectrex.co.uk/shop4.htm I also ordered the generic green one as well. Both are top notch. Glad I ordered these.

good day.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 07:06:05 pm by chopperthedog »

chopperthedog

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2017, 08:28:14 pm »
I love that work space. I wish I had the discipline to be that clean and organized.
Some pics in this thread, was done out of necessity to get more games in the house >:D . Closets are pretty much worthless, but this one was given a purpose. http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,152135.0.html

You just need to be willing to throw sh!t away that you haven't looked at or touched in 4+ years.

good day.

chopperthedog

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2017, 10:09:42 pm »
I stopped at microcenter today to pick up some microSD cards and wandered off to the always trashed and sad project/component area. Stumbled upon 4 yellow "mini arcade buttons", no other colors, couldn't find anymore stock, there was just 4 of these. Brain instantly went into overload and I raced over to Fry's to obtain a robotics joystick and a slanted project box.

Was able to whip up this nifty little thing. The joystick is sooo nice and the buttons are pretty damn good as well. Perfect controller to have out when I have friends over, won't have to hover making sure they're not abusing my sh!t.

After some trial and error I came up with the absolute perfect combo of resistors to compensate for the 5k pots in the robotics joy, an original stick has 10k. Using the test rom I was able to have the original and mine side by side and get the sweep matched up on the new one. Played 2 minutes of hyperchase, yup feels the same....  :cheers:

Thing came out great. I had to go with the strain relief on the side because of the way the back of the box is molded, the bottom ridge is too tick to slot and work with the relief.

And a pic for size comparison to original. After about 20 minutes of play after building it, I'm pretty impressed. Will report back after some more gaming sessions.

good day.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 10:11:45 pm by chopperthedog »

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2017, 11:17:30 pm »
This thread just keeps producing gold.

JudgeRob

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 10:55:50 pm
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,149265.120.html
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2017, 11:52:52 pm »
That's a sexy ass machine man.  Good find!  :D

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2017, 12:04:35 am »
Is that really all there is to the controller?? Hmmm, a custom Moon Lander throttle isn't so far fetched after all!

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2017, 09:59:45 am »
Is that really all there is to the controller?? Hmmm, a custom Moon Lander throttle isn't so far fetched after all!

He sort of glossed over the fact that the robotics joystick has the pots built in for analog control and he had to do some real trial and error to match up proper resistors to match the new stick's range with the Vectrex stick's range.  It's some pretty nice work.

You could sell that controller on the Vectrex groups very easily.  People would buy it.

My favorite Vectrex controller is the Playstation to Vectrex adapter.  Fully analog Dual Shock control on the Vectrex with a PS1 controller.  Even when it was being made that thing was nearly unobtanium and I've never seen one in person other than the one I have.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:47:56 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2017, 10:59:12 am »
Well now you pretty much have to work up an overlay for that controller.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2017, 11:10:41 am »

Where did the molded 2600/serial style cable come from?

chopperthedog

• Offline Offline
« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2017, 08:31:10 pm »
Where did the molded 2600/serial style cable come from?
Harvested from a useless and beat to crap genesis controller. I might ponder looking into ordering materials to build some more and come up with a label.

Here's a video that shows the analog function against an original.

good day.

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 03, 2024, 06:00:00 am
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2017, 09:57:39 pm »
I love your projects.  :applaud:

Vectrexer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 05, 2022, 06:21:08 pm
  • Vectrex forever
« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2017, 01:53:53 pm »
I stopped at microcenter today to pick up some microSD cards and wandered off to the always trashed and sad project/component area. Stumbled upon 4 yellow "mini arcade buttons", no other colors, couldn't find anymore stock, there was just 4 of these. Brain instantly went into overload and I raced over to Fry's to obtain a robotics joystick and a slanted project box.

Was able to whip up this nifty little thing. The joystick is sooo nice and the buttons are pretty damn good as well. Perfect controller to have out when I have friends over, won't have to hover making sure they're not abusing my sh!t.

After some trial and error I came up with the absolute perfect combo of resistors to compensate for the 5k pots in the robotics joy, an original stick has 10k. Using the test rom I was able to have the original and mine side by side and get the sweep matched up on the new one. Played 2 minutes of hyperchase, yup feels the same....  :cheers:

Thing came out great. I had to go with the strain relief on the side because of the way the back of the box is molded, the bottom ridge is too tick to slot and work with the relief.

And a pic for size comparison to original. After about 20 minutes of play after building it, I'm pretty impressed. Will report back after some more gaming sessions.

good day.

Nice work on the custom controller!

thomas_surles

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 19, 2023, 07:20:00 pm
« Reply #42 on: June 21, 2017, 06:49:02 pm »
Now open a store on ebay selling custom vertex controllers. Get a bunch of knockoff genesis controllers to work with.

chopperthedog

• Offline Offline
« Reply #43 on: June 21, 2017, 09:32:41 pm »
Thanks Guys! :applaud:

It be rainin' Vectrex goodness up in here!

Quote from: Richard H.
I make the VecMulti.

If you want one, I'm selling the last 10 units at half price ($45 USD shipped)

So, last Tuesday I happen to see the post above by Richard Hutchinson in some noob vectrex help thread on atari age 20min after he made it. Had the man paid about 15min later, I'm no idiot, Helluva deal. Package arrived from the UK today. Fabulous product.

good day.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 09:37:34 pm by chopperthedog »

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2017, 01:55:13 pm »
Did he happen to sell all of them? (I don't have an Atari age account)

chopperthedog

• Offline Offline
« Reply #45 on: June 22, 2017, 08:41:45 pm »
Did he happen to sell all of them? (I don't have an Atari age account)
Same, I've read a ton on AA, just never felt the need to create an account and post there. I sent you a pm.

good day.

burn_654

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2024, 03:31:13 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #46 on: June 23, 2017, 08:47:28 am »
Really like the joystick, I'd be interested in building one!

Do you have a part no. for the joystick? From what I understand vectrex joystick wiring is pin to pin, no encoder is needed, correct?

I have some old analog tandy/ch mini computer analog sticks in the parts bins, I wonder if they could be suitable...would probably have to dial in different resistors too.

Well done!

chopperthedog

• Offline Offline
« Reply #47 on: July 24, 2017, 03:26:38 pm »

The VecMulti from Richard H. is a neat piece of hardware. I just didn't like how it was packaged in the 3d printed case and how it just kind hung there in the cart slot with the edge connector being the only support.

The SDcard reader was soldered to the underside of the main pcb with a straight header. After some thinking and planning I came up with a way to mount the SD reader to the top of the main pcb and offset the SD placement so that I could use a stanrdard cartridge shell.

No modifications were needed to the scramble cartridge shell, I'll find a repro shell to use in the future. The 2 plastic posts in the bottom shell are narrower than the width of the SD reader pcb, so it made sense to figure out a way to top mount it. The SDcard has been set up and sorted the way I want and I haven't had the need to pull it for a couple weeks. It's only 1 screw to get access anyway.

good day.

chopperthedog

• Offline Offline
« Reply #48 on: September 14, 2017, 09:36:21 am »

mmmmmmmm, Nothing like the smell of fresh Sanwa 24mm buttons in the morning.

good day.

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 27, 2024, 07:02:12 am
« Reply #49 on: September 14, 2017, 02:08:33 pm »
when you scroll down the page your pic of the buttons in the box creates an optical delusion of it getting bigger.
totally made my eyes go  :dizzy: LOL!

vwalbridge

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2021, 12:21:09 pm
  • Don't half-ass two things, whole-ass one thing.
« Reply #50 on: September 14, 2017, 02:46:21 pm »
If you can read this, it means Photobucket's money grab ruined my signature photos.

chopperthedog

• Offline Offline
« Reply #51 on: September 14, 2017, 06:05:04 pm »
I'll have what you 2 are smokin'.....

chopperthedog engineering has been established.   :cheers:

good day.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #52 on: September 16, 2017, 06:44:25 am »
Oh good. Its not just me.

Good luck with the venture, Chopper!

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #53 on: September 16, 2017, 06:45:11 am »
Well said Chopper. So what are you up to?
This thread makes me wish I never sold my Vectrex.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:29:33 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #54 on: September 16, 2017, 05:04:45 pm »
I agree with ark.  (Falls over from shock)

chopperthedog

• Offline Offline
« Reply #55 on: September 16, 2017, 08:09:21 pm »
I agree with ark.  (Falls over from shock)
If you look at the original GCE logo, and if one were to create an "O" you would just close off the opening in the "G". For the "D" it was based off the "E" with the wider left side of the letter and offset opening. I tried the opening on both sides, and it looked better right heavy.

good day.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:29:33 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #56 on: September 16, 2017, 09:24:05 pm »
With respect... no it looks better the other way.  I know you are going for a specific graphical style, but a "D" needs the curvy bits on the right so people know it's a "D" and not an "O".

Everyone check out this revised version.  You could still argue that it kinda still looks like CTOE, but with the curvy bits on the proper side most people will know what you are getting at.

chopperthedog

• Offline Offline
« Reply #57 on: September 17, 2017, 01:57:24 am »
With respect... no it looks better the other way.  I know you are going for a specific graphical style, but a "D" needs the curvy bits on the right so people know it's a "D" and not an "O".

Everyone check out this revised version.  You could still argue that it kinda still looks like CTOE, but with the curvy bits on the proper side most people will know what you are getting at.
That was a variation I tried, it looked ok to me, but got away from sticking to the original format of the logo with only having the rounded corners on the left side of each letter. I tried about 3 other ways and I went with what I went with because I liked it the best. :burgerking:

good day.

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+45)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 27, 2024, 07:37:53 pm
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #58 on: September 18, 2017, 11:38:46 am »
Cleanup on aisle 3!

Carry on.   :cheers:

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #59 on: September 18, 2017, 12:48:10 pm »
I get what Chopper is trying to do with the visual consistency, and I'm all for it. I wouldn't overthink it - if the product works, no one cares what the logo looks like.

chopperthedog

• Offline Offline
« Reply #60 on: September 24, 2017, 03:40:23 pm »
Holy crap.... what is with printers in this hobby??? I've pretty much exhausted all the major folks that print between klov and here. Some would start with good correspondence and then never provide a price, others would give me the common excuses off the dart board and some just would ignore me. I just wanted 18 copies of my image laminated and cut like an arcade cpo. After losing a couple weeks being jacked off by others I contacted Brad (who has a thread here: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,134866.0.html) and he actually followed through and felt like making a couple bucks to do something simple.

:applaud: Received the cpo's from Brad and applied one to a box, came out great. Nice textured material. Too bad I slacked off during the great printer hunt and I forgot to order the needed metric step drill bit set. :(

Analog joystick circuit pcb's put together.

Joystick harness made up, keeping the same wire color scheme as the original controller.

good day.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 04:06:36 pm by chopperthedog »

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #61 on: September 24, 2017, 09:26:53 pm »
Awesome stuff! You going to make these available for sale?

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #62 on: September 24, 2017, 09:51:08 pm »
Looks badass, Chopper. Can’t wait to see the final version.

chopperthedog

• Offline Offline
« Reply #63 on: September 26, 2017, 07:07:32 pm »

First one assembled, very happy with the results. Tooling for cutting circles in the overlay around joystick screws has been perfected and will look better moving forward.

Found some nice rubber strain reliefs that look much better than trying to use those plastic crimp grommets stuffed in the hole. I have done extensive testing of various methods of achieving a coiled cable. While playing the prototype controller I didn't like having to find a place to put 6ft of cable when I only play it from a foot away. I thought it would be cool if it had a coiled cable like the originals do. No ordering options for such a thing, so I just kinda figured it out.  Not a perfect tight consistent coil, but I think it's cool and is a nice touch. I'll probably just offer the ones for sale an option of straight or coiled cable.

The Sanwa 24mm buttons are sweet, very light action compared to the yellow ones from the proto. I also tried ordering a couple of the "replaces sanwa" 99 cent ones from ebay and they were awful, had to pay up and get the real deal.

good day.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #64 on: September 26, 2017, 07:31:32 pm »
Wow this looks really good chopper!

It's gotta be a hellava lot better to  use than the stock controller. I have a hard time with the buttons, but having more arcade grade pushbuttons would make this console play a lot better.

Too bad you couldn't get a small balltop on top of that joystick ;)

Can't wait till you put these up for sale, consider me in for one!

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #65 on: September 26, 2017, 07:52:19 pm »
Bad ass, dude!

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #66 on: September 26, 2017, 09:34:10 pm »
I want one for sure.

Rattus

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 05, 2024, 09:09:48 am
« Reply #67 on: September 26, 2017, 10:45:14 pm »
Looks great, watching thread :)

nexusmtz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 01, 2022, 03:14:22 am
« Reply #68 on: September 27, 2017, 03:09:41 am »
I'm certainly interested! Nice details.

Malban

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 13, 2021, 03:50:36 pm
« Reply #69 on: September 27, 2017, 03:32:41 am »
I you intend to sell one of these beatifull things - I'd be surely interested too.

Great work!

Malban

nexus6

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 10:01:38 am
    • LowRez Retroshirts
« Reply #70 on: September 27, 2017, 05:05:37 am »
That looks amazing!
Where did you get the analog joystick circuit pcb's from and which stick did you use?

danny_galaga

• Grand high prophet of the holy noodle.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:42:50 pm
  • because the mail never stops
    • dans cocktail lounge
« Reply #71 on: September 27, 2017, 08:39:28 am »
This thread just keeps producing gold.

Godamstraight! I think I wanna buy a CTDE controller, even tough I don't have a Vectrex! That can come later :D

PS: For inexpensive DB9 cables for controllers, I usually get sega megadrive extension cables from ebay (",)  Love the curly bit!
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 08:44:28 am by danny_galaga »

ROUGHING UP THE SUSPECT SINCE 1981

Vectrexer

• Offline Offline
  • Vectrex forever
« Reply #72 on: September 27, 2017, 10:34:55 am »
Holy crap.... what is with printers in this hobby??? I've pretty much exhausted all the major folks that print between klov and here. Some would start with good correspondence and then never provide a price, others would give me the common excuses off the dart board and some just would ignore me. I just wanted 18 copies of my image laminated and cut like an arcade cpo. After losing a couple weeks being jacked off by others I contacted Brad (who has a thread here: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,134866.0.html) and he actually followed through and felt like making a couple bucks to do something simple.

:applaud: Received the cpo's from Brad and applied one to a box, came out great. Nice textured material. Too bad I slacked off during the great printer hunt and I forgot to order the needed metric step drill bit set. :(

A better link to Brad's (Lucian045) thread
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,134866.0

vwalbridge

• Offline Offline
« Reply #73 on: September 27, 2017, 10:50:18 am »
I know almost nothing about the Vectrex but this thread makes me want one.  :applaud:

And yes, if you had not already found Brad for your artwork, I was going to suggest him.

Love chopper's threads.
If you can read this, it means Photobucket's money grab ruined my signature photos.

Vectrexer

• Offline Offline
  • Vectrex forever
« Reply #74 on: September 27, 2017, 11:55:49 am »
For your controller kit project is it possible to list the materials and sources?
Serpac 07S for the case I believe.
Sanwa 24mm buttons
Robot Zone (ServoCity) R-200 joystick.
Brad's (Lucian045) Sticker Overlay

« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 06:04:20 pm by Vectrexer »

brood69

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 28, 2017, 08:05:00 am
« Reply #75 on: September 27, 2017, 03:14:41 pm »
Very interested...

Just met me know when you plan to produce a few ones and I ll take one !

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #76 on: September 27, 2017, 03:30:23 pm »
:lol  The body's still warm you leeches!

chopperthedog

• Offline Offline
« Reply #77 on: October 01, 2017, 12:21:41 am »
Guess I can avoid a for sale thread. I think someone posted it to facebook (which I'll gladly take $20k to sign up for) and I got numerous pm's and also sent pm's to interested parties in this thread and I'm all sold out now.

It's gotta be a hellava lot better to  use than the stock controller. I have a hard time with the buttons, but having more arcade grade pushbuttons would make this console play a lot better.

Too bad you couldn't get a small balltop on top of that joystick ;)
It's soooo much better than the stock and perfect for adult hands. The sanwa buttons don't need to be bottomed out to engage, so you can find that flutter point like a leaf switch. Having the buttons in a row is great for homebrews and others that use 1&2 for left and right. Another highlight is playing protector (defender clone), button one is a thumb twitch away for reverse, can't say that for the stock controller. Button 2 is also nicely within reach from the joystick. I also notice that while gaming that there is no wasted muscle strain with having to hold the controller in place in use on a flat surface like I do with the stock unit.

**EDIT** Another thing, even though I did a complete tear down of the pots in my stock unit, it was still jumpy and loose. It wasn't til I built the proto that I noticed that Pole Position has 3 steps of analog steering, I've always read that hyperchase and starhawk were the 2 games that had analog. The joystick I use in the controller is pretty nice. 

As for the ball top.... eeeww. Although, a week ago I did stumble upon an odd completed sale on ebay with a strange button layout and a joy with ball top.  :dizzy:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Vectrex-Blackout-Controller-/112497580180?hash=item1a3160d894%3Ag%3AmdwAAOSwYyVZeTvl&nma=true&si=kP0eQx1hQxa0YN95WW%252FV%252BmidXMk%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I'll also gather up some links to the things I ordered, busy finalizing these controllers to ship this week currently.

good day.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 01:31:16 am by chopperthedog »

chopperthedog

• Offline Offline
« Reply #78 on: October 07, 2017, 10:15:25 am »
Looks like some folks will be receiving their panels today. I wanted to have this done and printed before I shipped stuff out, but time got in the way. Here's a link to a pdf to help with any analog calibration that may be needed. 
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5n0qzd411mgyfx2/CTDEPanelCalibration.pdf?dl=0

good day.

Vectrexer

• Offline Offline
  • Vectrex forever
« Reply #79 on: October 07, 2017, 10:48:36 pm »
Analog Joystick Vectrex Controller Panel by Chopper The Dog Engineering (CTDE)
More images here:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/qN3mFudKxlvrajlo2

#Vectrex
#Analog
#Controller
#CTDE
#ChopperTheDogEngineering

VectrexRoli

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 20, 2018, 01:55:56 am
    • VectrexRoli´s Youtube Channel
« Reply #80 on: October 08, 2017, 04:14:57 am »
Hi, just signed up for this forum, is that controller still for sale?

nexusmtz

• Offline Offline
« Reply #81 on: October 08, 2017, 04:39:31 pm »
My controller arrived yesterday. Couldn't wait to try it. Worked great out of the box, so I haven't done the calibration or put the feet on yet. The stick is easy to handle and the buttons respond beautifully. Thanks for putting together a professional looking quality product!
 :cheers:

chopperthedog

• Offline Offline
« Reply #82 on: October 08, 2017, 07:57:25 pm »
I got all the vectrex cool kids coming out of the wood work to this thread....  :afro:

@nexusmtz awesome pic, may your scores be higher and the tendons in your hands thank you.

@Vectrexer, I wasn't expecting a full macro focus porn shoot of the CTDE panel. Great Shots! man....

Columbus Day is gonna add an extra 24hrs to the wait for some other folks.  :badmood:

good day.

WilliamMurphy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 10, 2017, 12:30:25 pm
« Reply #83 on: October 10, 2017, 12:30:25 pm »
@chopperthedog

Sir it' s beautiful, how can i get one please?  :)

Johnny79

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 22, 2020, 04:04:35 pm
« Reply #84 on: October 21, 2017, 07:41:52 pm »
Hello,

is it possible to order one, please?

Thank you in advance!

aviphysics

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 02, 2017, 10:24:23 pm
« Reply #85 on: December 02, 2017, 01:01:59 am »
Chopper, do you mind indicating how you got those nice curly cables?

Best,
Avi
« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 01:07:59 am by aviphysics »

solar

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 26, 2018, 05:59:28 pm
« Reply #86 on: January 09, 2018, 08:35:33 pm »
Nice Job.

Think I got lucky with mine, when I stumbled across the vectrex online. It was just before everyone seemed to want one (so before the imo crazy prices)...at that time there was one guy sell his boxed collection (most still have the film on the overlays) and another was selling his vectrex right nearby.

I took that as a sign, not that I needed much convincing. :D

Turbofly

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2018, 10:37:02 pm
« Reply #87 on: January 19, 2018, 03:50:35 pm »
@chopperthedog

I picked up an ebay Vectrex with display issues just before Christmas.  I've long since tracked the problem down, it was a faulty power switch.  After getting the screen going and making some adjustments I then had a great looking Vectrex that I couldn't play because it didn't come with a controller.  So I made a controller, which it turns out is similar to yours, though your case and logo look way better, (I used a plastic tackle box for my case).  I've been having a problem with my control stick though.  I've only got Minestorm to play so far, (a Sean Kelly Multi-cart should be arriving next week), so the only directions I need are Left and Right.  The Right works great.  The Left works good to about the midway point and then starts turning Right.  In trying to figure out what was wrong I found this thread.  After I read that your sticks are 5k ohm I checked mine and found that I have the same.  I had thought I was ordering a 10K, but that's not what I have.  Anyway, I was wondering if you would post or message me with a diagram of the resistor board you made to overcome this problem?  Thanks in advance for any help you give.  I would have messaged you but, where I am new to the forum I can't.

chopperthedog

• Offline Offline
« Reply #88 on: January 19, 2018, 11:08:05 pm »
My diagram is the same as the stock vectrex analog circuit, but instead of the "trim pots" used in the original circuit I used a fixed value of resistors. Since the joystick I used has a way of adjusting the X Y centering position. I used 3 resistors in parallel that yielded a value of 1.53KΩ and finalized the trim with on the joystick itself. The sean kelly cart has the Test Rev4 rom so you will be able see what"s off and to tune yours more precisely. If your joystick has no centering abilities I would add maybe 2 - 3kΩ trim pots to your design.

good day.

Turbofly

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2018, 10:37:02 pm
« Reply #89 on: January 20, 2018, 12:03:30 am »
@chopperthedog

Thanks for replying.  Since making the post, I did some more testing of the joystick with my mulitmeter and found that when I tested it removed from my case and the circuit, both pots showed as being 10K.  While in the circuit both pots are connected in parallel through both the -5v wire and the +5v, which seems to be what gave me the 5K readings.  Once I had that figured out, I checked the original controller circuit in the Vectrex service manual, (which I belatedly read in your reply, great advice for sure), and noticed the two 4.7k resistors and the two 10K variable resistors.  I hadn't had these in my original circuit.  so I added the two 4.7k resistors and in the place of the variable resistors I used two 10k regular resistors.  Left worked great, Right not at all.  I then started thinking those originals were variable for a reason so I took out the 10k resistors and figured I'd start at half of that, the closest resistors I had were more 4.7K, so I put those in, and now in works awesomely.

My joystick does have the adjustments on the potentiometers too, so as you suggested, I will definitely be checking the calibration once I get the multi-cart and have use of the Diagnostics program.  Thanks again, and like all the rest I gotta say that is one great looking controller you made.  It really matches the Vectrex, you'd think it was an OEM pro controller offered GCE back in the day.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 12:06:16 am by Turbofly »

chopperthedog

• Offline Offline
« Reply #90 on: January 20, 2018, 11:03:44 am »
Glad you were able to get a handle on it. If you're using a similar style stick in yours, check post #78 of this thread for my little instruction sheet.

good day.

stephbmx

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 10, 2018, 11:28:29 am
« Reply #91 on: January 21, 2018, 02:20:59 pm »
Hello, I'm new here
do you sell those controllers?
I'll be interested if you do!

chopperthedog

• Offline Offline
« Reply #92 on: August 14, 2018, 09:57:26 pm »

Caught a thread on AA advertising the above cart. I had seen some "spinner hack" roms and also noticed in some homebrews with spinner control options and never tested the games with the driving controller. Well, once I finally tested some of the roms, my mind went to work and ordered up a spin cart.

Spent some time at the bench and came up with this thing, took a way different approach and used 16mm buttons. I had no real plot for the buttons, just kinda laid my fingers down at my playing position and made dots with a sharpee. For those not in the know, you can plug an atari 2600 driving controller into port 2 and use it with the hacked roms and brews. So the thumb joystick and 4 buttons act as full player 1 control panel and the grey encoder from the atari driving control is in port 2.

First objective was to figure out a way to mount a PS style thumb stick on a sloped panel without visible screws from the top. I used some 8/32"x1" flat head nylon screws to act as mounting studs and epoxied them to the interior, which also works well for setting joy to tight clearances.

Second objective was to avoid having the paddle knob floating 3/4" off the panel. I've seen the lazy work of others that just mount encoder in hole and slap the knob with a huge gap between panel and knob. I came up with a small chunk of hdpe to act as a recessed mounting plate, the spinner knob is large enough to hide the 2 screws and the knob is down low.

Also if you own an atari driving controller with the smaller AMP connector, there is no modding needed to the plug end or controller, it will fit in the joy port with no issues.

Pro-Tip: The particular grey encoder I was using was easy to take appart and clean/lube. While cleaning it, I got the idea to just bend down the 5 unused sweeps to reduce the friction. Makes a huge difference!

Overall inside shot. I don't like the buttons, I've got some others on the way to try.

Cosmic Chasm with a spinner just feels right... Also, the edit of Bedlam on the spin-cart is fantastic, the resolution on the spinner is perfect, where the previous spinner hack of the game you can find online is kinda frustrating to play. The over all menu and way the spin-cart acts is great. For the couple bucks that it was, a proper Bedlam spinner edit and CC are well worth it, all other games on cart are a bonus.

I have NO plans to do a run or make anymore of these. I saw the other side before and wasn't really a fan. I enjoy creating stuff for myself in my spare time. I just wanted to share my ideas / methods of what I came up with for an all in one vectrex spinner controller. Someone with more time than I have, copy  it and ca$h in, make 20 of these and retire large on your own private island.  :cheers:

good day.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 10:43:53 pm by chopperthedog »

Vectrexer

• Offline Offline
  • Vectrex forever
« Reply #93 on: August 14, 2018, 10:03:50 pm »
Thanks for sharing your latest build here. 

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #94 on: August 15, 2018, 08:37:09 am »
You do nice work Chopper.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #95 on: August 15, 2018, 02:25:10 pm »
That's awesome!  Though I see what you mean about the buttons, they don't look built for gameplay. Are they industrial-type pushbuttons, or are they actual arcade ones?

On a related note (but not to steal chopper's thunder),  I was able to purchase a set of NOS Vectrex boards from a guy on a vector facebook group, who bought a huge stash from a repair tech. 

My Vectrex has been out of commission for years now, and I've tried everything to get it to work, including bringing it to a tech to repair as well. Unfortunately the multiple attempts by me exacerbated the problem, beyond being able to repair it. But now I've got these replacement boards for a swap!  Gonna try them out this weekend when I get a chance.  I'm really looking forward to using Chopper's custom joystick I bought from him as well as the Multicart I picked up.

chopperthedog

• Offline Offline
« Reply #96 on: August 28, 2018, 11:53:21 pm »

Been thinking about a generic set of overlays for some time. Finally made some things happen and this is the new offering from CTDE. All 7 colors are pretty damn cool on the vectrex, purple is the bomb. The material is a little thinner, original overlays are around .50mm and the material I'm using is around .28mm, but is sturdy material. You can also use 2 of these at once to mix up more colors.

Precision cut to match original.

I have 14 sets ready for sale and will be doing more as well.

To order or for more info send an email to:
You can also just click appropriate link below for your location.

***Links removed, placed large order with same supplier and material quality degraded and I'm not happy.***

Please leave "paying for goods" box checked. If paid by "gift" it takes away 2 click shipping option for me. I don't mind the fee.

good day.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 10:36:19 pm by chopperthedog »

chopperthedog

• Offline Offline
« Reply #97 on: September 06, 2018, 04:47:42 pm »
Thanks to all! Been some great responses. 28 sets shipped so far and 3rd material order placed.

Vectrexer also did a a very sweet photo shoot just like he did with my controller, but featuring the set of overlays he received. https://photos.app.goo.gl/VJb34CpGRXqroynF7   Thanks again sir!

I also lowered the price of international orders to $36usd now that I have a handle on shipping worldwide. I kicked back $4 to all folks that paid the original $40 for an international order.

good day.

chopperthedog

• Offline Offline
« Reply #98 on: September 29, 2018, 04:01:09 pm »

Some badass sheet right here.  :afro:

good day.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #99 on: September 29, 2018, 06:11:47 pm »
Nice work.

nexusmtz

• Offline Offline
« Reply #100 on: September 30, 2018, 04:51:05 am »
Very neatly routed USB to VF, or a new CTDE creation? Jealous either way.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #101 on: September 30, 2018, 10:30:41 am »
What is this madness??

chopperthedog

• Offline Offline
« Reply #102 on: September 30, 2018, 12:25:03 pm »
Wish I was remotely smart enough to conceive such madness. But, yes USB uart pcb added to VecFever. Mame vector games displayed on a Vectrex. Cart also transmits controller information through USB to mame for game play control.

good day.

nexusmtz

• Offline Offline
« Reply #103 on: October 01, 2018, 12:09:33 am »
Excellent implementation. You do a great job of taking things to the next level. I appreciate that 'functional' seems to be more of a starting point for your projects instead of the ending point.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #104 on: April 21, 2019, 01:11:39 pm »
After years of being in a non-working state, failed 2 service attempts by me, and 1 by a TV repair guy. I finally got this working (through an ebay Vectrex repair guy)!

I'm running the VecMulti cart, Chopperthedog's custom controller  and his solid coloured overlays. The overlay set consists of Blue, Orange, Red, Pink, Purple, Yellow, and Green...but I found that Blue and Purple look the best.

Been playing a lot of Moon Lander, which is a clone of Lunar Lander with some QoL additions that make the replay value much better than the original LL.

Shouts out to Chopper for all the help and guidance.  :cheers:

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #105 on: April 21, 2019, 03:34:26 pm »
After years of being in a non-working state, failed 2 service attempts by me, and 1 by a TV repair guy. I finally got this working (through an ebay Vectrex repair guy)!

I'm running the VecMulti cart, Chopperthedog's custom controller  and his solid coloured overlays. The overlay set consists of Blue, Orange, Red, Pink, Purple, Yellow, and Green...but I found that Blue and Purple look the best.

Been playing a lot of Moon Lander, which is a clone of Lunar Lander with some QoL additions that make the replay value much better than the original LL.

Bring that bad boy to ZC!!! :D

chopperthedog

• Offline Offline
« Reply #106 on: April 21, 2019, 04:43:18 pm »

Way cool man!  :applaud: :applaud:  Glad everything finally worked out. Must've sucked buying a badass controller and a cool multi cart and only being able to look at them for over a year.  :laugh2:

Still enjoying the hell out of mine. Been some cool additions to the mix recently and it might be time for a thread update.

Vectrex dorks unite!!!!!

good day.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #107 on: April 21, 2019, 04:44:21 pm »
I am still pissed at myself for selling my vectrex years ago.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #108 on: April 21, 2019, 06:21:45 pm »
Bring that bad boy to ZC!!! :D

I'm going to try to make this work.  The vectrex is too good, and totally relative to arcade gaming not to bring it.  I think I have a carry-on bag that I can stuff this thing into.  Ain't no way I'm checking this.

You guys gotta try out chopperthedog's controller. It's like butter!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 09:34:55 pm by opt2not »

chopperthedog

• Offline Offline
« Reply #109 on: December 22, 2019, 07:14:12 pm »
Long time since last real update, been some neat vectrex things in the last year. Still enjoy gaming on mine in some fashion at least a couple times a week.

CTDE overlays are still being produced and sold, around the 50 sold mark I found a material set that was the same quality as the 7 but had 2 more colors (tint and teal). So I transferred over to the 9 color set without raising price or updating sale thread. :p

The tint one is nice, gives the unit a clean look.

There's a guy on the twittergrambooks named Laurence that does some cool UV overlays, nabbed a couple from him and I came up with a small light hood to use them vertical or horizontal. Added some thin metal strips to the inside of the vectrex case where the light hood snaps into place with the magnets.

Last winter stumbled upon this neat project http://www.razmasynth.com/io/VectrexControl.html, reminded me of the old Heathkits I watched dad build as a young lad. Has some cool features and works well as a pass through auto fire unit. Great as a bench remote to get through test cart screens while setting up unit.

Funny thing, original plan was for #1 and #15 to be my 2 controllers, but once #14 was built I never did #15 but all the finished the parts were in a box and I finally assembled #15 for myself late this July. :p Sometimes I can get real lazy with things, nice to get something off the todo pile.

There's a 3D print file for a vectrex in horizontal mode, had PL1 print me one, his print was great, the stand design was... ummmm, borderline pathetic. Came up with this mdf and 1x2 stand last winter with some specs in mind. When playing in vert or horiz the center of the screen is at same height, pitched back nicely and unit was secure. 3D design offered non of these considerations.

Kept thinking about a design that would be fold-able, minimal, have a small footprint and be safe. With some aluminum angle and threaded rod I came up with something pretty cool. Place stand on side of unit, hold in place with one hand, lift unit with 2 hands and set unit on its side. When tube is aligned in front of you you see no skewed lines from stand, slope compensation is handled on back legs, also all legs are a different length so that tube is perfectly level when playing.

During the summer I nabbed a filthy working unit off CL locally for $200, already had the controller overlay on hand. Full tear down, cleaning, full recap/ integrator caps/ voltage regs/ calibration to service manual specs and LM386 sound amp board as the much cheaper "obtanium buzzoff" option.

Cleaned and ready for many years of action.

For those that know the vecmulti, it only offers one level of menu sorting. Came up with an idea to use a microSD extension cable and a dual microSD switcher so that's there's some separation of game types that can be switched on fly. Was able to lend backup unit with modded vecmulti to a coworker and there was no confusion of what they were playing vs. a super long list of stuff in alphabetical order.

Upcoming vecfever update will include the entire CCPU (pretty f'ing amazing) game collection in static binary translation glory. Been testing it for Thomas almost all summer pretty much and wanted some custom overlays for the games that had them. Used mah little cutter and pieced them together on backside with some good trans tape. Battlezone was one that I came up with using the same method last winter, so it was easy to figure out the CCPU stuff for myself.

GCE overlay collection is complete and the number of "other" overlays has grown to a total of 48 and they all needed a larger and more appropriate home.

Always fun stuff....  :applaud:

good day.

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #110 on: December 24, 2019, 05:24:51 pm »
 :applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

vwalbridge

• Offline Offline
« Reply #111 on: January 10, 2020, 05:30:24 pm »
I've had this incredible thread bookmarked for months hoping one day I would own a Vectrex myself. I'm late to the party but I was lucky enough to snag a Vectrex from my local OfferUp for a really great price.

Wish I had been keeping an eye on this thread more often because I already installed The Buzz-off kit. When I could have used Chopper's awesome and WAY less expensive LM386 sound amp solution.

Man...there is just so many awesome Chopper stuff going on in this thread. (below is the pictures of the one I picked up)

Chopper - Do you still have some of your multi-colored overlays for sale?

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #112 on: January 10, 2020, 05:58:36 pm »
One thing I'd love to see made for this thing is a right-angle cart connector.  Having the cart stick out of the side is a PITA, especially with the extra long flashcart shells.

chopperthedog

• Offline Offline
« Reply #113 on: January 12, 2020, 03:15:13 pm »
Congrats vwalbridge!! Still doing overlays. See my last post for a pic of the set of 9. Waiting on larger material order coming in tuesday and lowered price to reflect better order price. See post #96 for purchase links.

Sean Kelly has released some new items. The tour de france package is very impressive. The overlays are fantastic, great print quality. He's doing cube quest and test cart next, also planning to repro the entire GCE overlay set. Not that I need those, but it will be great to kill the secondary market and have some good quality repros at a fair price.

Check out his store here:   http://www.vectrexmulti.com/order2.html

good day.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #114 on: January 12, 2020, 03:37:52 pm »
I’ll probably grab that multicart overlay.
But I wish there was a good one for Moon Lander. That’s really the only game I play on this console these days.

chopperthedog

• Offline Offline
« Reply #115 on: January 12, 2020, 03:49:52 pm »
The multicart one is cool, the colored edges are a nice touch.

and opt2not there's a vecmulti version you can try here:  http://vide.malban.de/5th-of-january-2020-berzerk-again

Some impressive flicker free programming going on there.

good day.

chopperthedog

• Offline Offline
« Reply #116 on: January 12, 2020, 04:29:09 pm »

Some really cool vecfever porn. Thomas added an option to rotate menu text, fantastic for the horizontal coin-op game list, no more taco neck.   :cheers:

For those curious of what star wars looks and sounds like running on a vectrex. The static binary translations are really impressive, you'll notice the lack of x-wing and shield graphics. He includes different graphic settings that omit thing to save on the needed draw cycles. Game play and vector drawing comes direct from vecfever while receiving controls and sending sounds to vectrex. For the limited 3 channel yamaha sound chip on the vec, Thomas did a fantastic job of translating some of the sounds over, even R2 chirping towards the end as I was about to die.

I wish every vectrex owner could have one of these carts.

good day.

vwalbridge

• Offline Offline
« Reply #117 on: January 13, 2020, 10:24:49 am »
He's doing cube quest and test cart next, also planning to repro the entire GCE overlay set. Not that I need those, but it will be great to kill the secondary market and have some good quality repros at a fair price.

Check out his store here:   http://www.vectrexmulti.com/order2.html

good day.

Wow! Thanks for this update. That's great news. I'm going to need to pick up a few so this is good timing. And yes, people are asking stupid money for original overlays so I'm excited to have some options. I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for these reproductions on his site.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #118 on: January 13, 2020, 02:16:55 pm »
So how does one get a vecfever cart?

Troff

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 24, 2020, 04:27:00 pm
« Reply #119 on: December 24, 2020, 04:21:14 pm »
Hi Chopper,

I am just now looking at the old post. Looks great!

I am building a Vectrex controller with an analog joystick mine has 5K pots not 10K. Would you mind sharing with me how you wired the resistors?

Thank you for any help!

Brandon

good day.

chopperthedog

• Offline Offline
« Reply #120 on: December 28, 2020, 04:50:06 pm »
Hi Chopper,

I am just now looking at the old post. Looks great!

I am building a Vectrex controller with an analog joystick mine has 5K pots not 10K. Would you mind sharing with me how you wired the resistors?

Thank you for any help!

Brandon
See post #88 for some info on what I did.
Controller schematic on page 17 here:  https://console5.com/techwiki/images/a/a7/Vectrex-Service_Manual.pdf

good day.

moknbyrd

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 11, 2021, 10:13:20 am
  • Vectrex lover
« Reply #121 on: May 05, 2021, 04:27:15 pm »
Long time since last real update, been some neat vectrex things in the last year. Still enjoy gaming on mine in some fashion at least a couple times a week.

CTDE overlays are still being produced and sold, around the 50 sold mark I found a material set that was the same quality as the 7 but had 2 more colors (tint and teal). So I transferred over to the 9 color set without raising price or updating sale thread. :p

I know, I'm kinda late to the game. Just found this thread. Where can I get those solid color tinted overlays?

Have you given up the custom biz.

Thanks!
MB
"If you can't show it, you don't know it." - Aron Ra

gtoal

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 03, 2022, 09:03:00 pm
« Reply #122 on: August 21, 2021, 02:26:10 pm »
In another forum's post you mentioned "Texture of the overlay is crucial and a nice touch to try to match."  We may have discussed this at some point but I don't think it's mentioned in this thread.  Obviously the right kind of material for a control panel overlay is to be preferred, but if you can't get that stiff textured plastic that is also printable at home (I've never found any, at any rate) then the second best substitute that I've found so far has been Burlington's Photo Silk.  It's regular flexible paper, but once applied you can't tell that it isn't the stiffer plastic that Vectrex CPO's are made from, and the surface feel is an almost perfect match.  The down side is that they don't make it any more and the equivalent that they sell under a similar (but not identical) name is nowhere approaching as good.  I bought NOS packets of the stuff the few times it turned up on eBay and have enough at the moment for all my future Vectrex needs, unless I go crazy at some point and make industrial quantites of controllers :-) (So if it turns up again it won't be me in a bidding war with you ;-) )  I keep buying every new material I see advertised in the hope of finding something just like the Burlington's but no joy so far.