Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Help Wiring IEC 320 Plug  (Read 2564 times)

MarkyB

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 30, 2019, 02:54:43 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Help Wiring IEC 320 Plug
« on: June 03, 2017, 05:17:18 pm »
Hi to all,

I need some help wiring a IEC 320 socket which was bought on eBay from China.

I have tried to wire it up, but what happens is that the neon red light glows very faintly, when putting the rocker
switch to the (1) postion.

The 320 plug is wired to a 4 plug power strip, the IEC was then attached to a bedside lamp via the
4 strip plug socket, upon switching on the red on/off switch the red light lit up brightly, but no power to
the lamp?

Have I got the live wired wrongly, it seems it maybe wired to the neon light on the switch.

I have attached a couple of pictures below, and you can see how I have wired it up.

The live brown wire (going to the power strip), goes to the middle of the 3 pins of the neon on/off switch, which you
can't see clearly in the photo.

Any help would be very grateful.....

Thankyou

« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 05:28:35 pm by MarkyB »

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:12:01 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
Re: Help Wiring IEC 320 Plug
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2017, 06:16:12 pm »
You don't have neutral connected to the switch.

With no power applied (unless you want to fry your meter), use your multimeter to confirm which tabs are 7 and 8.
 - <2 ohms/continuity when the switch is closed (On)
 - Open when the switch is open (Off)

Neutral goes from 1 to 6 to the neutral wire of the power strip in your cab.

Scott
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 06:37:21 pm by PL1 »

MarkyB

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2017, 06:41:12 pm »
You don't have neutral connected to the switch.

With no power applied (unless you want to fry your meter), use your multimeter to confirm which tabs are 7 and 8.
 - <2 ohms/continuity when the switch is closed (1)
 - Open when the switch is open (0)

Neutral goes from 1 to 6 to the neutral wire of the power strip in your cab.

Scott

Hi Scott,

Thankyou for your help. I didn't think you had to connect the neutral to the switch, if you didn't want the neon light to illuminate?

Only that is what I have read? Just want the rocker switch for power, not worried about the red neon light illuminating.

I don't really understand regarding the multimeter, do you have an easy way of explaining it please, sorry but just a beginner with electronics.

I do have a multimeter, can you let me know what setting I need to put the switch on the multimeter please, sorry to sound a bit dumb....

Thankyou

Regards

Marc :-)

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2017, 07:53:51 pm »
I didn't think you had to connect the neutral to the switch, if you didn't want the neon light to illuminate?

Only that is what I have read? Just want the rocker switch for power, not worried about the red neon light illuminating.
If you don't care about the lamp, you can indeed go straight from 1 to neutral on your cab power strip.

I don't really understand regarding the multimeter, do you have an easy way of explaining it please, sorry but just a beginner with electronics.

I do have a multimeter, can you let me know what setting I need to put the switch on the multimeter
There are lots of good general-purpose multimeter tutorials on YouTube like .

Once you've watched that 8-minute video, here's one showing how to do the check.

Set your multimeter to "Ohms"/"Ω" or "Continuity".

- When you don't touch the red lead to the black lead, you'll get the same open/infinite resistance reading ("1     ." in the video below) as you'll get on tabs 7 and 8 with the switch open.
-- No contact = no path for the current to flow from one lead to the other = open/infinite resistance reading.

- When you touch the red lead to the black lead, you'll get about the same reading as you'll get on tabs 7 and 8 with the switch closed.
-- The touching leads or closed switch will allow a path for current to flow and you'll get a resistance reading (ohms mode) or a beep (continuity mode).

I think your switch is oriented like the one in this video. (8  7  6)

The video shows less-than-perfect contact between the leads and switch, but if you make firm, steady contact you should get a reading of less than 2 ohms.

For all your power connections, you want a low-resistance connection to avoid generating heat like this.

This is why you always want clean, corrosion-free, mechanically-solid and low-resistance (<2 ohms) power connections.

Scott

MarkyB

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2017, 08:26:47 pm »
I didn't think you had to connect the neutral to the switch, if you didn't want the neon light to illuminate?

If you don't care about the lamp, you can indeed go straight from 1 to neutral on your cab power strip.

I do have a multimeter, can you let me know what setting I need to put the switch on the multimeter
There are lots of good general-purpose multimeter tutorials on YouTube like .

Once you've watched that 8-minute video, here's one showing how to do the check.

Set your multimeter to "Ohms"/"Ω" or "Continuity".

- When you don't touch the red lead to the black lead, you'll get the same open/infinite resistance reading ("1     ." in the video below) as you'll get on tabs 7 and 8 with the switch open.
-- No contact = no path for the current to flow from one lead to the other = open/infinite resistance reading.

- When you touch the red lead to the black lead, you'll get about the same reading as you'll get on tabs 7 and 8 with the switch closed.
-- The touching leads or closed switch will allow a path for current to flow and you'll get a resistance reading (ohms mode) or a beep (continuity mode).

I think your switch is oriented like the one in this video. (8  7  6)

The video shows less-than-perfect contact between the leads and switch, but if you make firm, steady contact you should get a reading of less than 2 ohms.

For all your power connections, you want a low-resistance connection to avoid generating heat like this.

This is why you always want clean, corrosion-free, mechanically-solid and low-resistance (<2 ohms) power connections.

Scott

Hi Scott,

Thankyou for your help and advice, I have watched the video, and have done the ohm's test with the multimeter,
you are correct  the sequence is 8 7 6, as like in the video, and I have a reading of less than 2 ohms.

All I should need to do is swap the wires over, I will let you know how I get on....

Many Thanks

Regards

MarkyB

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2017, 01:31:27 pm »
Hi Scott,

Power is all good with the IEC 320, I swapped over to lead 8 7 6,
and have now got power on tap... :-)

Thankyou for your help, much appreciated

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2017, 02:18:51 pm »
Glad to assist.   ;D

One final check to make sure you won't have long-term heat problems:

- Unplug from the wall outlet

- Put the IEC switch to the "On" position

- Check resistance of the Hot, Neutral, and Ground lines from the wall outlet plug to the cab's power strip socket -- <2 ohms is good

The higher the resistance, the more heat the connection will generate and the more likely it will result in an electrical fire.

Scott

MarkyB

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2017, 05:19:36 pm »
Glad to assist.   ;D

One final check to make sure you won't have long-term heat problems:

- Unplug from the wall outlet

- Put the IEC switch to the "On" position

- Check resistance of the Hot, Neutral, and Ground lines from the wall outlet plug to the cab's power strip socket -- <2 ohms is good

The higher the resistance, the more heat the connection will generate and the more likely it will result in an electrical fire.

Scott

No worries,

I will check that Scott

Thankyou

Regards