Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Anyone know where to get 1/2" melanine around DC/MD/VA?  (Read 1503 times)

nugarp

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 04:05:58 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Anyone know where to get 1/2" melanine around DC/MD/VA?
« on: May 26, 2017, 12:52:53 am »
I've been pulling my hair out trying to find a place that has 1/2". Looking to build my first bartop and I'd ideally like to shrink it down to 1/2 instead of using the 3/4" at Lowes. I can make do with 3x 2'x4' panels if need be. Black or white; I'd be fine with either at this point. I have access to a CNC, so I'm not too concerned about chipping etc. of the material (if it's particle board instead of MDF). Has anyone had success around here?

Thanks!
Wheel2XInput | HDRecoil | LeaderLamps | NetLauncher | Discord | Youtube

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2024, 07:51:43 pm
Re: Anyone know where to get 1/2" melanine around DC/MD/VA?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2017, 02:04:02 am »
I used to live in Alexandria, never could find it but I didn't look too hard. You got a couple options.

You could buy 1/2" material and use vertical grade laminate. It's easy to do. Need a flush trim router bit.

You could also use that roll on vinyl.

Go with the 3/4" stuff. I will never use 1/2" again. Too thin to put screws through.

Good luck.

SlyBlueFox

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 29, 2023, 12:11:50 pm
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2017, 08:51:22 am »
Reread the post. You wanted 1/2" melamine. My fault.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 09:45:03 am by SlyBlueFox »

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2024, 09:27:36 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2017, 10:41:08 am »
Go with the 3/4" stuff. I will never use 1/2" again. Too thin to put screws through.

Can confirm. not much meat to bite into during assembly. Consider 3/4. it's much more common and you are more likely to find it.

nugarp

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2017, 04:08:53 am »
Thanks for all of the responses!

I did 13/16" T-Molding on my 3/4 upright cab, and that took more time than I would've liked, hence the pre-finished route. I'm more interested in the design of this next build over all of the manual labor required ;). That said, if I can't find 1/2 (or even up to 5/8), then I'm going to go ahead and do as you suggested leapinlew.

Lilshawn, I'm not too worried about screws to hold the thing together as I plan to route out shallow (1/16" or so) areas on the cab's inside to glue square dowels to hold the various pieces square and together - on top of glue & routing at the joints themselves. True statement though about the screws. The only place I can think of needing them is the CP -- where else did you screw things in on your builds?

I made some more calls today, and for those in the area, it turns out that Woodcraft in Rockville has 3/4" melamine in black or white. I was told to give A&M Supply a call from the Woodcraft in Alexandria to see if they could order it -- I'll try that on Tuesday.

nugarp

• Offline Offline
Anyone know where to get 1/2" melanine around DC/MD/VA?
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2017, 02:05:40 pm »
Just to follow up here, Woodcraft in Rockville is able to order it (arrives in 2-3 days). I ordered the 1/2" white melamine for $40, which is a little pricier than elsewhere, but very convenient for me -- and not 5 hours away at a Menards in Ohio.

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2024, 07:51:43 pm
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2017, 05:31:48 pm »
and not 5 hours away at a Menards in Ohio.

Ohio does have White Castle though, so it wouldn't be a totally wasted trip.  ;D