Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Can anyone identify this connector?  (Read 1244 times)

gedman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 26, 2021, 01:25:30 pm
  • My first cab is almost done. Loving the challenge.
Can anyone identify this connector?
« on: May 25, 2017, 10:14:31 pm »
Can anyone identify this connector?  My current Midway game uses a few of these for the disconnects of the Jamma wiring to the control panel.  It appears to be setup without needing to crimp connectors to the ends of every wire like Molex.

gedman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 26, 2021, 01:25:30 pm
  • My first cab is almost done. Loving the challenge.
Re: Can anyone identify this connector?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2017, 12:23:24 am »
I think I figured it out.  It is a Molex 0.156" IDC connector. 

Folks on some online forums say this kind of connector is inferior and was used when making pinball machines and arcades because it is fast and cheap  during manufacturing, but without real crimps the connections aren't reliable.

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=catalog&parent=235&pg=1

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:47:13 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2017, 10:34:24 am »
yes, you are correct. they are called IDC or Insulation Displacement Connectors. these smaller ones in your photo are actually (0.1) in size though ...the larger connectors (0.156) like for the general illumination and whatnot are usually what you hear about needing replacing.

problem with these connecors (the bigger ones, the smaller ones are fine) the connectors are only designed to carry a few amps AT MOST. When these connectors where chosen they failed to notice they were putting upwards of 5 amps through these poor connectors and they get absolutely fried.

The connector part in your photo is also called a "molex Z connector" it allows 2 IDC plugs to be connected together.

tommyinajar

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 15, 2023, 12:23:20 pm
  • My other cab is a Cube Quest
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2017, 11:34:22 am »
Huh, you learn something new every day, I always refer to them in my Tron cab (waaaaay unfinished) as the small ones= crumbled pos and the large ones = melted pos.
 :)