Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Hybrid Hard Drive  (Read 2014 times)

DrLarryE

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 23, 2018, 10:03:26 pm
Hybrid Hard Drive
« on: May 25, 2017, 03:37:41 pm »
Kind of off topic because it's not so much for arcade usage, but what is the purpose of a hybrid hard drive...ie "1TB hard drive +128GB Solid State hard drive".  It's not too hard to figure out what it is, but what is the benefit?

JDFan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Hybrid Hard Drive
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2017, 03:45:35 pm »
The most loaded info will eventually be stored on the ssd portion of the hdd - thus read times for it will be much faster - (ie. the windows boot files being stored on the ssd portion will make the system much faster (almost as fast as with an ssd drive) while still allowing plenty of room on the HDD portion to store less often used files without having to spend money on both an ssd and a hdd or large capacity ssd drive. Not so important for a desktop pc (esp now that 128gb. ssds and  1tb. hdds are cheap (which is why they never really caught on ) - but very beneficial for a laptop that has room for only a single HDD/ssd internally as it gives you the speed of an ssd system while still allowing plenty of storage.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 03:51:00 pm by JDFan »

GeoMan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 18, 2024, 01:17:57 pm
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2017, 05:41:39 pm »
The problem is when you start filling them up. More and more files end in the slower 1TB drive, so while the speed is very good when you get them, it degrades the more files you add...

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:59:19 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2017, 10:49:43 am »
in a nutshell, that which is accessed most often will be placed on the SDD portion for fast access, that which is just occasionally read out or in "long term storage" is written to the HD portion.

initially, all data is written to the SSD, after a while the data is sorted as the SSD becomes full and file access frequency becomes more concrete.

in the end, generally the files needed for boot and and files accessed all the time (like a swap file) will be on the SSD.

the issue becomes, if you where to use this in a machine that is on all the time or a game system you'd boot once and that's it. So all the constantly accessed game data ends up on the SSD and your  system boot would end up on the platters so it would boot slow... but your game file access would be good.

a hybrid drive is good in a few situations, but far from ideal for others.

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2017, 06:37:45 am »
in a nutshell, that which is accessed most often will be placed on the SDD portion for fast access, that which is just occasionally read out or in "long term storage" is written to the HD portion.

initially, all data is written to the SSD, after a while the data is sorted as the SSD becomes full and file access frequency becomes more concrete.

in the end, generally the files needed for boot and and files accessed all the time (like a swap file) will be on the SSD.

the issue becomes, if you where to use this in a machine that is on all the time or a game system you'd boot once and that's it. So all the constantly accessed game data ends up on the SSD and your  system boot would end up on the platters so it would boot slow... but your game file access would be good.

a hybrid drive is good in a few situations, but far from ideal for others.

I have always avoided them, the concept is great, but long term storage...I don't know.  Any issues mounting them vertical?
If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:59:19 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2017, 10:29:11 am »
i don't believe  there has ever been any issue mounting any type of harddrive any whichwords. horizontal, vertical, upside down, slantways.

you may as well just buy an ssd and be done with it. i bought a 500gb samsung evo 340 about 3 years ago now. and thats all i have in my system.

i don't store on it.  i have a few games on it and some misc documents. i occasionally purge files (invoices, pictures, etc)  onto an external 3tb drive dubbed the dump.

with the advent of streaming services, i dont download mp3s and videos anymore. there is literally no need to. therefore no need to have terabytes of space on your computer anymore.

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2017, 04:32:18 pm »
i don't believe  there has ever been any issue mounting any type of harddrive any whichwords. horizontal, vertical, upside down, slantways.

you may as well just buy an ssd and be done with it. i bought a 500gb samsung evo 340 about 3 years ago now. and thats all i have in my system.

i don't store on it.  i have a few games on it and some misc documents. i occasionally purge files (invoices, pictures, etc)  onto an external 3tb drive dubbed the dump.

with the advent of streaming services, i dont download mp3s and videos anymore. there is literally no need to. therefore no need to have terabytes of space on your computer anymore.

I totally agree, yet there has been times when the internet has gone down/unavailable and the back up has been handy.  The verticle issue stemmed from platter damage due to motor issues when stored vertically. I guess it was a bit once twice shy scenario I didn't want reapeating  ;D. I have the dump too  :lol
If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.

Warborg

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 28, 2024, 12:41:41 am
  • Personal text? Nah...
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2017, 03:25:09 pm »

Actually, I have read that not mounting them level in some way (i.e. slantways) can potentially accelerate wear due to uneven loading/balance on the motors/bearings.  So horizontal, vertical, upside-down should be fine, but just on the off chance "slantways" could cause a future, I wouldn't...  :)