Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Swap joystick axes in Windows  (Read 6602 times)

AlexFLA

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 25, 2017, 08:44:04 pm
  • What are you waiting for? Christmas?
Swap joystick axes in Windows
« on: May 24, 2017, 01:45:40 pm »
Hi!

Does anyone know how to change axes (or invert a single axis) in Windows? After digging around, I came across a custom driver for generic USB joysticks called USB Network Driver. It adds more features but still fails short to accomplish what I need.
I was able to swap axes with this driver but while X axis works correctly, Y axis is inverted. It might be possible to change the hex values in registry to invert it, but I can't find it anywhere in Google.
As you might have figured it out, I connected my joystick wires to the wrong terminals on a zerodelay controller.

I would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks

JDFan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Swap joystick axes in Windows
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2017, 02:27:30 pm »
Easiest to just get access to the joystick and swap the wires on the micro switches (or swap the 2 micro switches themselves) or on the zero delay board. :dunno
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 02:29:44 pm by JDFan »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 11:59:54 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2017, 02:53:48 pm »
Yeah man... I thought I was lazy. 

AlexFLA

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2017, 05:16:30 pm »
I would have moved the wires already. Not only it will involve removing a few things (my bartop is tiny and everything is packed) but I will most likely damage and will have to reprint the artwork. I feel like I googled the entire Internet and didn't find anywhere how to juggle those hex values to invert Y axis.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2017, 08:38:15 pm »
If you can't access your controls then your bartop is poorly designed.  You might as well bite the bullet because arcade machines require regular maintenance.... sooner or later you will have to get inside the thing. 

JDFan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2017, 11:41:29 am »
If you can't access your controls then your bartop is poorly designed.  You might as well bite the bullet because arcade machines require regular maintenance.... sooner or later you will have to get inside the thing.

^THIS -- eventually you are going to need access to them anyway (as your current situation proves) so best to correct it now than use work arounds, that you or the next person that works on the thing will have to figure out when the next problem arises (ie. if you use software to swap things now what happens when you put in a new joystick later) - plus the software fixes will always degrade performance as it involves new processing steps.

AlexFLA

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2017, 12:26:22 pm »
The thing is - I can access the joystick and buttons if I REALLY need to, which I believe might occur at some point. I just simply wasn't ready to open it in the first few days after I assembled it. I'm not really looking for software fixes - instead I'm interested in Windows registry fix, which changes axes on a driver level. As a workaround I installed the xpadder as it seem to do the job.
Also, please keep in mind it is my very first bartop arcade, and I'm about to build the second one soon, so I will certainly learn on my own mistakes.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2017, 12:40:38 pm »
I would count this as one of those occasions when you really need to get access ;)

Its a pretty fundamental issue that needs to be put right not bodged.

In all the time you have spent with this you could of had the whole thing apart, fixed and playing again.

AlexFLA

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2017, 09:11:33 pm »
I'll see if I can move the wires without disassembling too much, but I was under the impression that anything is customizable on PC. By the way, don't you guys still need to redefine keys (configure controls, remap joystick, etc) in every single emulator including MAME (the one from mamedev dot org still requires configuring controller and there you can swap your joy1up with joy1down)?

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2017, 11:25:10 pm »
Here's the deal.  I'm sure you can find an app somewhere that reroutes one joystick into a virtual joystick allowing you to swap the axis, but more complications on an emulation rig just lead to more problems down the line.  You'll eventually find a pc game or something you want to run, it won't like the work-around and you are going to have to fix it anyway, only now you've already setup everything with the workaround and you'll have to go back and remap all of those as well.  It's just like a house.... start with a good foundation by having everything work the way it should and everything is just going to be easier after that.