Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Feedback on my CP layout  (Read 2692 times)

gedman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 26, 2021, 01:25:30 pm
  • My first cab is almost done. Loving the challenge.
Feedback on my CP layout
« on: May 23, 2017, 06:32:23 pm »
I'd appreciate feedback on my CP layout (attached).  Two joysticks (mag-stik plus), 6 buttons per joystick, spinner, 3" trackball.  The CP surface is pretty large 26 5/8in. x 13 3/16in - from a Mortal Kombat cabinet.

Notes:
  • I tried to keep the CP uncluttered. Only admin buttons are P1/P2. Coin-ups will be done on the coin door (depress coin-reject to coin-up).  No dedicated buttons for Pause or Escape - as those will be done via Shift sequences.  (I wonder if I'll later regret not including other admin buttons. Thoughts?)
  • The relative positions of joystick and buttons is directly from slagcoin.
  • The "4-way"/"8-way" arrows printed on the CP are to remind the players how to switch the mag-stick between modes (lift, rotate in the correct direction, release).
  • The "Player 2" text in the lower right is there temporarily while I choose a font for the Player 1/Player 2 text.

The color scheme of the cabinet is blue sides and yellow T-molding.  The CP surface will have black joysticks, white trackball with black trim, spinner top is black with chrome band.  P1/P2 buttons are white.  All 6+6 player buttons will probably be yellow to match the T molding - but I haven't fully decided yet.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 06:42:04 pm by gedman »

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
Re: Feedback on my CP layout
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2017, 07:01:48 pm »
Basic layout is great, however I don't think you allowed enough clearance under the panel for both the player 2 magstick and a 3" trackball.

I would also suggest using all your width to clear as much room around the trackball as possible. You know, tighten those buttons up closer to the sticks and move the whole player stations closer to the edges.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

Slippyblade

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2023, 11:39:51 am
  • And to the death god we say, "Not today!"
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2017, 08:42:48 pm »
What Paige said.  My first reaction was not enough space between the trackball and P2 stick.

gedman

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2017, 11:45:10 pm »
You guys are absolutely right.  I checked the layout against the actual trackball and magstick dimensions, and they definitely collide under the panel.

I can only move my Player stations .75" closer to the outer edges, because the width of the magstick body (under the CP) combined with a wood reinforcement on the cab (also under the CP) means that the closest I can get the center of the Player 1 joystick to the edge of the CP is 2.25". Currently the center is 3" from the edge of the CP, so I can only move Player 1 joystick .75" closer to the edge. To keep things symmetrical, I would also move Player 2 station 0.75", which may be enough to avoid the trackball and the Player 2 magstick from colliding under the panel.

I found images online of someone else doing a remarkably similar layout on the identical Mortal Kombat cabinet.
  • See the .75" wood reinforcement on the side of the cab under the CP:
  • Notice how close his trackball spot is to his joystick spot on the bottom of the CP.
  • Bottom of the CP with the components installed:
  • His finished product:

If moving Player 2 by .75" isn't enough clearance between the trackball and the magstick, then I have two choices:
  • Move Player 2 closer to the right edge (but since I can't move Player 1 closer to the opposite edge, I'll lose the symmetry of the CP.)
  • Tighten up the space between the joysticks and the buttons to move the Player 2 stick further from the trackball. I got my button and joystick layouts from slagcoin and I've read that the slagcoin layouts are the "gold standard".

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 12:05:52 am by gedman »

markc74

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2024, 03:08:33 pm
  • Flipping out
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137295.0.html
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2017, 04:25:57 am »
You could just move your trackball down a bit and the joy/buttons up along with moving the controls 0.75" as suggested. Tuck your joystick buttons together another 0.5" and that should give you enough room.

Cynicaster

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 22, 2021, 12:12:55 pm
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2017, 12:17:38 pm »
Regarding fitting the track ball in, I have to believe there would be a way with the space you have.  Move the joysticks outboard to the limit you mentioned, and if that is still not enough, pick up the rest from moving the buttons closer to the sticks and/or moving the buttons closer to each other. 

The spinner placement should work, but be aware that if you have any meat head buddies that like Golden Tee, they'll probably smash their fingers into the spinner by trying to crank on the track ball like a hero (even if you explain to them in single-syllable words that putting one's entire body behind a shot in GT is not needed to get maximum distance).

What games are you planning to play that require two 4-way sticks?  There aren't very many. 

Like left and right mittens for your hands, I think the designations "player 1" and "player 2" are kind of self-explanatory and don't need labels; it's up to you of course, but IMO those labels are just clutter on your design.  Same with the rotational arrows... personally, I'd move those to an instruction card on the bezel or leave them out. 

jeremymtc

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:53:10 am
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2017, 04:12:21 pm »
In the interests of space utilization and getting the player stations moved out toward the edges, make sure to orient the MagStik mounting plates with the long axis vertical rather than horizontal. This also allows the buttons to be moved in closer to the sticks. The sticks do not care what orientation they are placed in.

GeoMan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:17:57 pm
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2017, 07:34:46 pm »
Why not use Ultrasticks instead of Magsticks? You will have analog, 8-way, 4-way, diagonals only, ... or any other combination for both players...

gedman

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2017, 06:25:18 pm »
The convenience of being able to easily switch between 4-way and 8-way without having to reach under the CP led me to choose the MagStik Plus.  My wife and kids may play often, and I want to make it easy for them.