Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: 2017 Anti-Chuff Thread  (Read 21796 times)

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:52:28 am
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
Re: 2017 Anti-Chuff Thread
« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2017, 03:52:12 pm »
I find it mildly hysterical you're trying to attempt to troubleshoot a vehicle problem without the vehicle in front of you.

"Engine cranks, but won't start - no CEL" has probably one of the biggest troubleshooting trees of any vehicle problem. You gotta follow the troubleshooting steps. If you skip a step, you'll waste time for nothing. My previous years of experience, lean my thought more towards a fuel delivery issue and not an electrical issue, since it cranks over fine (one of the first steps of almost any troubleshooting tree is to check the battery connections). But, to reiterate, follow the proper troubleshooting steps. If you can't, take it to a technician who is capable.

And Randy, don't forget about the fuel return line... if that's obstructed, engine no runny. Point is, there are many components that could fail in a fuel system. Don't be just a parts changer. Find the problem, fix the problem. Don't shotgun ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---.

I agree with everything you have said regarding a problem like this, but there are some common issues with specific vehicles, and sometimes you can get lucky by checking those first. There are vast portions of the internet devoted to this type of thing, and they have helped me out on numerous occasions.  Granted, this probably isn't the best place to find that information, but I've done my share of reading about and working on issues with these vehicles, because I own one.  Just trying to help someone in need.

Hey in a recent thread he went on to try and explain the effects of alcohol on rubber even though I worked almost exclusively on printers (which often require a touch of alcohol on their rubber parts for cleaning) for a 4 year period.  Don't feel bad.  ;)

Howard, you warned against using isopropyl alcohol on rubber (of which there are many compositions), in direct response to my recommendation to do so in the context of cleaning a membrane pad for a remote. You didn't offer an alternative and now state that you used alcohol to clean rubber parts.  If it's bad for the rubber, why do rubber manufacturers indicate that it has little effect on the type of rubber in question, and more curiously, why did you use it?  Did your boss know? :)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 04:11:02 pm by RandyT »

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2017, 08:51:52 pm »

Somehow I get the feeling that there has never been a lot of usage of rubbers around here.  So we'll forgive the lack of hands on experience.

knave

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 13, 2023, 03:32:33 pm
« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2017, 12:47:50 am »
It's hard to feel bad when you're laughing... :lol
I'm not laughing...its at the dealer$hip. Sigh...

Nephasth

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 11:02:52 pm
  • Bitches love Centipede
« Reply #43 on: July 09, 2017, 01:39:33 am »
Keep us informed!
%Bartop

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2024, 10:59:21 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #44 on: July 22, 2017, 03:38:10 pm »
Well I managed to get a pre-order in for a Snes classic, and nothing good ever happens to me so I was waiting for the other shoe to drop.  The cat is missing.  At first I thought he just ran off, but I've been looking all day.  He's a house cat.... rarely goes outside, so I'm afraid something happened to him.

thomas_surles

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 19, 2023, 07:20:00 pm
« Reply #45 on: July 22, 2017, 05:15:15 pm »
Well I managed to get a pre-order in for a Snes classic, and nothing good ever happens to me so I was waiting for the other shoe to drop.  The cat is missing.  At first I thought he just ran off, but I've been looking all day.  He's a house cat.... rarely goes outside, so I'm afraid something happened to him.

Start kicking in neighbors doors. That's where I would expect to find mine. ---daisies---  see one lost cat and they think its theirs now.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #46 on: July 22, 2017, 07:12:25 pm »
Eh I've went about a mile in either direction asking people and looking wherever I can.  I'm not sure what happened to the little guy. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #47 on: July 22, 2017, 10:46:04 pm »
Well the cat comes knocking on the door at 10:00pm dirty as hell looking up at me like nothing happened.  Poor guy drank water for about 10 min... he was definitely stuck somewhere.  You've got to understand.... this cat might be in great health but it's 17 years old.... I figured it had ran off to die.  I had an old yeller moment there for a second.  Man tears.... super chuffed. 

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #48 on: July 23, 2017, 05:36:30 am »
I had ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- news today.  A good mate from school topped himself.  His ---smurfette--- of a wife left him and took the kids and made him homeless.

He got a room at a 5 star hotel in town and hung himself.

He never let on.  Had a good job, and was a really sweet guy.  Salt of the earth.

I would have looked after him. What a pisser. 

2017 is turning out to be another crap year.
If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #49 on: July 23, 2017, 12:46:57 pm »
Had a good job, and was a really sweet guy.

People don't get it.  Money means absolutely nothing... you think it does until you lose something or someone that's actually important.  Sweet guys are typically sensitive guys.... it's the jerks that don't let anything phase them. 

My condolences. 

pixel

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 24, 2019, 05:33:55 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #50 on: July 28, 2017, 11:23:53 am »
Had a good job, and was a really sweet guy.

People don't get it.  Money means absolutely nothing... you think it does until you lose something or someone that's actually important.  Sweet guys are typically sensitive guys.... it's the jerks that don't let anything phase them. 

My condolences.

You mean... its the Jerks that cause most normal people to go insane.   Got it.

There are many kinds of strength.   Having the strength to be fair, kind, and compassionate... when it is the most challenging,  is something that many are incapable of.

Being rude,  mean spirited,  impatient, unapologetic, seeking revenge,  unable to forgive / let go...   are all signs of internal weakness.   Flawed characters.

Im sorry to hear of your loss... and a loss of a good man.
 It can be very difficult to deal with such heavy matters of the Heart.

For me,  was born into abuse.   Much like any physical fighter...  when one gets hit the first time,  its far harder to deal with than after your body and mind have adapted and developed... from years of training and repeated trauma.    The heart is much the same.   The first hurt,  such as a breakup... can be the most devastating.   But often after like the  +3rd  time... there is often far less pain,  less damage,  and less recovery time.

Key inner knowledge helps greatly... such as found in spiritual and or self-help channels  (IE:  Buddhist principle:  that mankinds greatest suffering comes from too much attachment (and expectation).    You can enjoy the wonderful gifts of the world...  but if you are too invested in them...  you set yourself up for greater pain and suffering,  as a result of not having / losing them.    Learning to be Content,   with oneself,  ones life, ones job...etc...  can be difficult initially...  but over time... it gets easier to think and feel these ways... and life gets a little easier,  and you end up enjoying and appreciating life a lot more.

Its is true,  that money does not bring happiness.   Many people have great wealth,  and many of them are often still very unhappy internally.

Taking such a hit,  of loss of family,  love life,  and a place to live all at once... is something Id never wish upon anyone.
Its hard enough to deal with being homeless... especially as a man.   For society in general,  seems to place far less value and aid / help  to men.   It is something we really should be striving to repair.    So many Feminist Cultists,  will try to paint a picture that western woman have it worse than men...  when in fact,  woman pretty much always have special privileges... and get more help and benefits out of life.   Of course,  part of this is largely mans fault... for not standing together as Brothers.   Instead,  often betraying justice at the bat of some pretty eyes...  or some (poorly acted) crocodile tears.

It does not help... that the people whom could change many of the unfair laws,  do not understand the issues... because they live in a completely different world.    They are not going Homeless,  let alone having 90% of their wealth and quality of life... dissolved from a Psychopathic Vampire.   They also stand to lose the most,  from far too aggressive child-support and other such cash cows...  should they altered to reasonable / fair  levels.

Hopefully the great mans soul will re-incarnate into a future where things are much better...  rather than much worse.

Please do ones best,  to spread positivity, compassion, love, and support.   To be just,  patient,  open minded,  and inspiring.   One kind talk,  even just a few choice words...  can change a persons entire life for the better...  and the result could effect millions of others,  in a successive chain of kindness,  compassion,  and inspiration...  leading to a far better and brighter future...  as well as just a far better quality of life in the Present (the Gift).

Best Regards to all

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:01:53 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #51 on: July 28, 2017, 10:51:46 pm »
I'm in Oklahoma.

:badmood:

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2024, 11:03:32 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #52 on: July 28, 2017, 11:02:53 pm »
I'm in Oklahoma.

:badmood:

Go meet up with Harveybirdman
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

harveybirdman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 19, 2024, 12:40:25 pm
  • SHMUP'EM
« Reply #53 on: July 28, 2017, 11:16:38 pm »
I'm already drunk too

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #54 on: July 28, 2017, 11:47:53 pm »
Well, head on down to Moore and shoot me kthx.

harveybirdman

• Offline Offline
  • SHMUP'EM
« Reply #55 on: July 29, 2017, 09:44:08 am »
Well, head on down to Moore and shoot me kthx.

We have a saying here, "Moore is less"

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #56 on: July 29, 2017, 10:07:41 am »
Yes, everyone in this miserable state is pithy.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #57 on: July 29, 2017, 03:14:26 pm »
Yes Oklahoma, the Ohio of the Mid-West.  I know it well.  ;)

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #58 on: July 29, 2017, 05:00:45 pm »
Don't think an escape to Cactus Jacks is likely on this visit.  Probably gonna head to Stillwater tomorrow and see if Eskimo Joes is still in business.

harveybirdman

• Offline Offline
  • SHMUP'EM
« Reply #59 on: July 29, 2017, 05:03:26 pm »
Get a fowl thing, my personal fav.  And yes they are definitely still in business.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #60 on: July 29, 2017, 05:47:38 pm »
Hm.. Will do.  I'll already be explosively shitting their cheese fries.  Did get some excellent grits and home fries this morning.  They've got the diner food on lock around here.  Plus they're so far behind that Wonder Woman was still showing, so finally caught that.

:cheers:

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #61 on: July 30, 2017, 03:29:21 pm »

Better not suck, bro
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 04:33:09 pm by pbj »

harveybirdman

• Offline Offline
  • SHMUP'EM
« Reply #62 on: July 30, 2017, 09:10:23 pm »
I love em

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #63 on: July 31, 2017, 12:32:38 am »
Fries were amazing, chicken sandwich was decent, Eskimo Joes was still 40% more expensive than it should be and thus Stillwater is unchanged in 15 years.  We jiggled a gate and got into the OSU football stadium which looks great.  The local Stilly Wheat was very nice.

This is going to change your life, Harvey:

https://www.amazon.com/Goya-Criollo-Marinade-24-50-Ounce-Bottle/dp/B00032CV8O

harveybirdman

• Offline Offline
  • SHMUP'EM
« Reply #64 on: July 31, 2017, 10:17:54 am »
I'll have to pick some up Jim, love trying new marinades.

but since this is the anti chuff thread after all.  Look what I did to my ankle ya'll... The moral of the story is to clear the construction site of ALL debris!

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2024, 11:03:32 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #65 on: July 31, 2017, 04:40:36 pm »
I just want to know if he got the shits this weekend.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #66 on: July 31, 2017, 10:24:52 pm »

I ate some kind of dried chili mango thing on the way to OKC and had to stop four times to ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---.  That was horrible, so I've been eating the rest in smaller portions.  Somewhere along the way, I paid $7 and chugged a small bottle of pepto, so it's been black bricks all weekend.

Thanks for asking.

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #67 on: August 01, 2017, 04:40:27 am »

I ate some kind of dried chili mango thing on the way to OKC and had to stop four times to ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---.  That was horrible, so I've been eating the rest in smaller portions.  Somewhere along the way, I paid $7 and chugged a small bottle of pepto, so it's been black bricks all weekend.

Thanks for asking.

Too much iron?

If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.

vwalbridge

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2021, 12:21:09 pm
  • Don't half-ass two things, whole-ass one thing.
« Reply #68 on: August 04, 2017, 02:59:45 pm »
Photobucket's money grab has ruined the internet in 2017.
If you can read this, it means Photobucket's money grab ruined my signature photos.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #69 on: August 18, 2017, 04:11:40 pm »
There are moments where I'm conflicted about everyone having an internet enabled camcorder in their pockets.  I think we're all allowed to have an occasional bad moment that doesn't need to be uploaded onto YouTube.  On the other hand, an 'armed' society is a politer one I suppose.

This afternoon, I came up on several people standing around in 102 degrees filming a clearly unwell and agitated man in a hospital gown having a standoff with a city bus in the middle of a busy intersection.  The bus driver has about had it and has come mere inches away from nailing this person multiple times trying to get around him.  This has been going on for several minutes.  "Someone should call 911" many of them mentioned.

Well, that someone was me, and one of the filmers announces "hey, he's calling 911" and our trouble maker immediately clears the street.  The police arrive a couple minutes later and I bounce.  Life goes on.

Folks, please.  Don't be a chicken ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- desperate to get internet famous.  Some day it might be you needing the help.

:hissy :hissy :hissy

Nephasth

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 11:02:52 pm
  • Bitches love Centipede
« Reply #70 on: August 19, 2017, 10:55:41 am »
%Bartop

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #71 on: August 23, 2017, 02:06:46 pm »
Folks, please.  Don't be a chicken ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- desperate to get internet famous.  Some day it might be you needing the help.

:hissy :hissy :hissy

I agree with this 100%.  There is a person on our small street having a serious breakdown of some sort.  Lots of emotional episodes outdoors, incoherent ranting at any hour, sometimes they are aggressive towards bypassers.  To my knowledge nobody yet has tried to take advantage of this for youtube hits.  That might be because the average age on our street is probably over 40 and the only two teenagers (my kids) don't have cell phones.  I'd like to think that if some --cream-filled twinkie-- were out there obviously livestreaming this person a neighbor would smack the phone from their hand.

knave

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 13, 2023, 03:32:33 pm
« Reply #72 on: August 23, 2017, 02:27:25 pm »
Keep us informed!

Update on my Truck.

It took the techs a few days to look into the issue, Funny how diagnostics work, started at $350 jumped to $1500 and settled on $3800. Issue was traced to a bad sensor in the high pressure oil pump. So they replaced the sensor and the pump itself just to be sure. $$$ sucks but as long as its fixed right...Well no.

I returned home two weeks later (thus the delay) and the truck is not right. It starts rough, as in barely starts. once it does it seems to run ok. so I drive it for a few days, leave a message at the shop, few more days, issue gets worse and take it back in. For whatever reason or some how the batteries are shot. They are only 2 years old.

Top all this off and the night before my appointment at the dealership I get a flat tire. Truck is cursed I tell you. I was so frustrated I took the day off and had it towed in.

Silver lining...They had it for 3 days, Diagnostics were free, fixed the tire under warranty, replaced the batteries, also under warranty, And they are going to honor a coupon that I had that my wife didn't know about when she picked it up that will save me $150

So still $3650 but I got a fixed tire and a set of two new batteries ($120 each)

Sigh. but...a couple of injectors tested rough while they were looking. It's fine for now but eventually I'll have to do all 8 injectors. (~$3500)

That's what I get for buying a used 7 year old truck...although I priced out a new one with all my options and it was over $60K

Blue book looks to be about $13-14k, I paid under 20 4 years ago. I remember how much the depreciation hurt when I bought my jeep new.

Anyway thanks for listening. I have to get back to work and make up that $$$

In the end I like my truck so its worth it...well almost

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #73 on: August 23, 2017, 02:30:03 pm »

Depreciation really only matters when you sell.  If you're not going to sell it's not that big of a deal.  It's not like you're going to take out a car equity loan.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #74 on: August 23, 2017, 02:48:06 pm »
It's not like you're going to take out a car equity loan.

Lol.  Yeah, one would hope. I told a car salesman back when I was 22 that there was no way I'd lease a vehicle, as I needed to build equity.

"What are you gonna do, take out a second loan on your car?"

Well, yes, maybe in case of emergency considering as I have zero other assets.

Dick.

Mike A

• Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 11:18:57 am
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #75 on: August 23, 2017, 02:53:00 pm »
I have never owned a diesel, but those numbers sound out of whack.

How could they possibly rack up 3800 dollars in diagnostics?

Are diesel injectors really that expensive?

I replaced the fuel injectors in my dad's 1992 Corvette. It was 300 some dollars for a complete set from Summit. They were easy to install with phone support from my friend who is a mechanic. Is the cost mostly labor?

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #76 on: August 23, 2017, 02:57:40 pm »

When we bought my wife a brand new car in 2005 my family gave me some crap about that.  "Dude, you just drove it off the lot, it's already worth 20% less."  Why should I care, then or now?  The thing is still in our driveway being used occasionally and is probably worth under a grand now.  Next to it is the 2017 Civic with which we replaced that car.  We'll probably still be driving that Civic in 2027.

Mike A

• Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 11:18:57 am
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #77 on: August 23, 2017, 03:08:21 pm »
If you buy a car that is slightly used the previous owner takes the giant immediate depreciation hit. Cars can go 200,000 miles with hardly a hiccup now. Buy a car with 50,000 miles or less on it and you will have a like new car for way less money.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #78 on: August 23, 2017, 03:13:19 pm »

That's more important for some cars than others.  A lower range car, like an Elantra or Civic, doesn't have nearly the depreciation hit of a Lexus or Audi.  And those first couple of years of perfect operation do have value. 

That said, I did buy my Tacoma with 14k on it, because trucks have a much bigger depreciation than a Civic.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #79 on: August 23, 2017, 03:13:59 pm »
If you buy a car that is slightly used the previous owner takes the giant immediate depreciation hit. Cars can go 200,000 miles with hardly a hiccup now. Buy a car with 50,000 miles or less on it and you will have a like new car for way less money.

That depends on the car, man.  I bought my car new because 2-3 years old they were selling for $1,500 less.  For that kind of hit, I'll take that factory warranty and having the luxury of drilling farts into virgin upholstery kthx.