Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Another Asteroids Deluxe HELP PLEASE!  (Read 22079 times)

gargoyle73

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 08, 2021, 12:54:20 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Another Asteroids Deluxe HELP PLEASE!
« on: May 22, 2017, 04:59:29 pm »
Hi everyone, here with an Asteroid Deluxe cab I scored DELIVERED $75:)  I collect old pinballs, history of working on them, I suck at power supplies though, hence my question.

Game not currently powering on, flip toggle switch nada, pics attached

Have NOT checked fuses yet, BUT most suspicious thing is 2 wire leads disconnected from toggle power switch (see pic), do they need re-attaching?

See anything needs addressing?

For power on does the white 'slam switch' need to be pulled out or in?  And also switch on coin door, coin door needs to be closed?

Thanks SO much for any help everybody

Lee in NC

chopperthedog

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:27:26 pm
Re: Another Asteroids Deluxe HELP PLEASE!
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2017, 06:52:25 pm »
Attached is a photo of the switch with the cover off. So yes you need to get those reattached. When you have all doors off and coin door open, you pull the switch outward to pass power. Before applying any power, I would disconnected edge connector from pcb and also the molex connector that is by the monitor. There are labeled test points on the power supply, you want to verify all is correct and set 5v to about 5.20v (without pcb connected). Even if you get life out of it, I wouldn't trust it for longer than 10min untill you replace ALL the caps on power supply (doesn't hurt to do voltage regs as well), big blue cap on power brick and all caps in the monitor.

good day.

gargoyle73

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2017, 01:19:54 pm »
Thank you Chopper, just what I needed

BUT, the more I research, the more I realize how much work it will be to get this thing stable/dependable, SERIOUSLY considering running a Raspberry Pie conversion in there, pull out the vector monitor, lay a monitor flat and make a killer retro MAME machine, hopefully without rendering it un-restorable, I dont want to destroy the history.  I can store the monitor in the cab, or even leave it in place, the only thing is the control panel, need to drill for a joy & buttons, BUT perhaps I can make my own panel, wood, OR, anybody know of something that wpuld fit the cab?

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:33:13 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2017, 01:25:24 pm »
 :censored: :angry: :angry:

gargoyle73

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2017, 02:05:42 pm »
:censored: :angry: :angry:

Uh Oh did I hit a sore point?  Hey, if its not too hard, I'm ALL about restoring, but I would NEVER defile the machine permanantly.............

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2017, 02:07:31 pm »
I have an Asteroids Deluxe cocktail. It is   my favorite machine in my small collection. It also gets the most compliments from guests.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2017, 02:10:51 pm »
It's your machine and you can do what you like with it, but I don't think you will be happy staring at an LCD in the place where a sweet vector monitor should be.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:02:22 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2017, 09:00:24 pm »
It's not that hard, dude. Put some effort into it before you ruin a vector cab.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

gargoyle73

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2017, 11:18:04 pm »
Okay, so maybe I'll give it a try, anyone have a link to a FULL cap kit, including a 'big blue'?

I Do NOT know how to check voltages on a multimeter, so any detailed tutorials also a plus

ANY help greatly appreciated!

Lee

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2017, 04:37:59 am »
A Google search turns up lots of information for Asteroids Deluxe restoration.
Twisted Quarter sells the cap kits you are looking for. There are also several other places. I am not sure if the big blue cap is included, but that is easy to find as well.

YouTube has many multimeter tutorials.

If you have specific questions going forward there are several people here who will chime in. They are all far more knowledgeable than me.
I can provide more specific links later today.

Don't give up on this machine. It's a good one.

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2017, 09:34:19 am »
When you get it working again pick up a Braze Multi-Kit.

https://www.highscoresaves.com/braze-asteroids-multigame-high-score-save-kit-493.html

It lets you play the better game (Asteroids) in the better cabinet (Asteroids Deluxe).  I installed mine last week and have been in arcade heaven ever since.

chopperthedog

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2017, 09:38:16 am »
http://www.arcadeshop.com/s/1/c_asteroids%2bdeluxe.htm

and.

http://www.arcadeshop.com/i/153/electrohome-g05-802-805-xy-monitor-cap-kit.htm

or.

http://www.arcadeshop.com/i/195/wg-19v2000-19-b-w-xy-cap-kit.htm

You'll have to figure out which monitor you have. Interwebz is chocked full of all the info you need to know on this game.

If you think you can't fix, maybe offer it up for trade with another local collector. where are you based?

good day.

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2017, 09:49:43 am »

If you think you can't fix, maybe offer it up for trade with another local collector. where are you based?

This is a good idea.  AD would make a terrible candidate for a MAME cabinet.  Trade it to someone who will fix it.

chopperthedog

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2017, 10:03:53 am »

It lets you play the better game (Asteroids) in the better cabinet (Asteroids Deluxe).  I installed mine last week and have been in arcade heaven ever since.
After years of looking, a couple near misses along with making a stupid offer on one only to get denied, I finally got one through arcadeshop. Great stuff. Lunar Lander NEEDS analog control though.

I ordered a couple 5k linear slider potentiometers with 30mm and 45mm sweep lengths. Attached is a pic of the idea I'm going for. It's out of the way of the buttons, no holes need to be drilled, plenty of room to rest hand to work the fader and the wire can just tuck in between the bezel and panel. Plus it's cheap.  :applaud:

Just need to find the analog to digital interface, yeah I know hss will have it, but I'm not on fakebook and miss all his hype list announcements and sign up really late.

good day.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2017, 11:11:48 am »

https://www.highscoresaves.com/braze-asteroids-multigame-high-score-save-kit-493.html

It's a great kit. I have one as well.

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2017, 11:38:49 am »
That is really cool.  I like that you don't have to modify the panel.  Could you provide a link to the parts?

After years of looking, a couple near misses along with making a stupid offer on one only to get denied, I finally got one through arcadeshop. Great stuff. Lunar Lander NEEDS analog control though.

I ordered a couple 5k linear slider potentiometers with 30mm and 45mm sweep lengths. Attached is a pic of the idea I'm going for. It's out of the way of the buttons, no holes need to be drilled, plenty of room to rest hand to work the fader and the wire can just tuck in between the bezel and panel. Plus it's cheap.  :applaud:

Just need to find the analog to digital interface, yeah I know hss will have it, but I'm not on fakebook and miss all his hype list announcements and sign up really late.

good day.

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2017, 11:43:45 am »

It's a great kit. I have one as well.

It really is a great kit.  Much better than I was expecting.  To be honest my AD was likely going to be sold soon because nobody played it.  The Braze kit has given it new life.  Now that I can play Asteroids on it it is my favorite cabinet.  If I could go home and play Asteroids right now I would.   ;D

chopperthedog

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2017, 12:03:48 pm »
That is really cool.  I like that you don't have to modify the panel.  Could you provide a link to the parts?
http://www.mouser.com/search/ProductDetail.aspx?r=652%2dPTA45532015DPB50
http://www.mouser.com/search/ProductDetail.aspx?r=652%2dPTA6432010CIB502
Wanted to try both sweep lengths.

http://www.frys.com/product/1669338?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG
I'm local to a store and was able to look at the whole selection. I liked this one for the slanted sides and size.

good day.

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2017, 04:02:31 pm »
Okay, so maybe I'll give it a try, anyone have a link to a FULL cap kit, including a 'big blue'?

I Do NOT know how to check voltages on a multimeter, so any detailed tutorials also a plus

Lee

Not to be a dick here but you work on pinball machines and don't know how to check voltages with a multimeter?

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2017, 04:38:33 pm »
http://www.mouser.com/search/ProductDetail.aspx?r=652%2dPTA45532015DPB50
http://www.mouser.com/search/ProductDetail.aspx?r=652%2dPTA6432010CIB502
Wanted to try both sweep lengths.

http://www.frys.com/product/1669338?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG
I'm local to a store and was able to look at the whole selection. I liked this one for the slanted sides and size.

good day.
Thanks!

mourix

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:23:43 pm
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2017, 04:44:54 pm »
You got a perfectly original restoration candidate here, why don't you use it to improve your technology skills? There's plenty of info online and people here tend to be quite helpful when you don't destroy a classic :timebomb:

gargoyle73

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2017, 07:17:57 pm »

Lee

LOL:)  Not a dick, yeah cant explain , dont get me wrong I can do a simple fuse check with a multimeter, but the higher science kinda psychs me out, I tend to replace burnt coils instead of looking for underlying problems, PCBs I just ship off for work (so far), have a great eye for switches and the mechanical, but yeah I need to get over my phobia and dive in, I agree with mourix, this is a good opportunity to learn

Not to be a dick here but you work on pinball machines and don't know how to check voltages with a multimeter?

gargoyle73

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2017, 07:20:00 pm »

will do, thank you, dear god how I LOVE Lunar Lander

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2017, 10:22:12 am »

You can replace a burnt coil over and over and over again if you don't replace the driver transistor that's burning it.  That's sort of the point.  And since most failures are the result of either too much or too little current for various reasons knowing how to use a DMM is non negotiable in this hobby.  Especially in pinball.  I'm not saying you have to be able to hack an ATM with the thing but you do need to know how to read AC and DC voltages and verify components.  There is no way around it.

gargoyle73

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2017, 11:31:22 am »

You can replace a burnt coil over and over and over again if you don't replace the driver transistor that's burning it.  That's sort of the point.  And since most failures are the result of either too much or too little current for various reasons knowing how to use a DMM is non negotiable in this hobby.  Especially in pinball.  I'm not saying you have to be able to hack an ATM with the thing but you do need to know how to read AC and DC voltages and verify components.  There is no way around it.

Like I said up until now I have left such issues up to board experts in SS pins I've worked with, working on it Chad, thanks, have let it intimidate me too long, lemme know if you have recommenations on a solid cost effective MM

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2017, 11:47:15 am »
Like I said up until now I have left such issues up to board experts in SS pins I've worked with, working on it Chad, thanks, have let it intimidate me too long, lemme know if you have recommenations on a solid cost effective MM

Either of the two on the right will do the job for you and last a long time.

gargoyle73

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2017, 02:50:55 pm »
Thanks Chad!  Ordering now, BUT I do have an analogue MM on hand, will it work OK?  If so, can anybody walk through what pins to test and what voltages I'd hope to see?

DAMMIT, just discovered, the 3D cardboard background is missing from my cab, probably up on some wankers wall somewhere, grrrrrr, and I LOVE the 3D effect, only repro I see is TWO HUNDRED on epay.  Any ideas?  Surely there are other repros?

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2017, 04:12:46 pm »
Thanks Chad!  Ordering now, BUT I do have an analogue MM on hand, will it work OK?  If so, can anybody walk through what pins to test and what voltages I'd hope to see?

DAMMIT, just discovered, the 3D cardboard background is missing from my cab, probably up on some wankers wall somewhere, grrrrrr, and I LOVE the 3D effect, only repro I see is TWO HUNDRED on epay.  Any ideas?  Surely there are other repros?

Try Phoenixarcade.com

gargoyle73

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2017, 04:47:35 pm »
phoenix are the guys on ebay:)  190 shipped, if I have to I have

gargoyle73

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2017, 04:52:55 pm »
UPDATE - against possible better judgement, I reconnected the toggle and powered on, red leds on pcb and monitor board, no video, BUT set on freeplay, the credit buttons flash, one and two player buttons start a game (hear sounds for all buttons), and game ends, credit buttons go back flashing, repeat.

I assume this is a decent sign, but still doesnt mean board is all good?  Also assuming I still need to replace all caps, checking fuses in next few days

Chopper - thank you for your tutorial

Feedback?  Thanks so much everybody

Lee
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 04:56:39 pm by gargoyle73 »

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2017, 09:29:44 pm »

Very likely means you have a game playing blind with a video problem.  Not quite isolated to monitor or boardset yet but you are a lot of the way there to a working game.  Don't give up on this game.  We can help you.

I will look around my basement.  It's possible I have an extra AD background.  If not, it's not super hard to make a new one, or even upgrade to something cooler.  It's really just a posterboard with some black light reactive asteroids. 

EDIT:  I found it.  I'll send it to you for the cost of shipping with one condition.  This game does not get converted.  If you don't get it working then you move it on to someone else who will.  I might have some other AD parts as well if I look around.  Let me know what you need. 

Does this game have the mirror intact?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 09:33:51 pm by ChadTower »

gargoyle73

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2017, 01:24:57 am »
Holy WOW Chad, thank you for your offer man, very kind, and one must respect your fight for arcade purity:)  And as I am a convert having worked today, I am totally onboard with keeping the purity of the vector cab, so if offer still stands I'd love the piece and swear not to destroy/alter my cab:)  Digging through it and making it come back to life a bit has made me respect the engineering so much more.

Mirror - it IS in there, BUT so far I see no 'opaqueness', should I be able to see through it to the cab back?  How did the asteroid black light piece show through?  Is it possible someone put a regular mirror in?  Or painted/altered the original mirror back once they snagged the cardboard insert?  Or is there just something I'm not seeing yet?

Also, the blue film is missing to cover the monitor, easy to mimic I assume?

Werent there TWO different upright AD cab variations?

Thank you as always guys

Lee
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 01:27:55 am by gargoyle73 »

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2017, 06:49:22 am »
ChadTower. Kudos to you.

chopperthedog

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2017, 09:13:16 am »
It's known as a half silvered mirror or 2 way mirror.

Are you just missing the film or is the front inner art gone to? If the front inner art is missing, that is super easy to replicate with using some black foam core art board from hobby lobby. The cab I have came with a "recreation" with the foam care material and they did a good job with it. If yours is missing and as you move further along I can pull mine and snap pics to give you an idea. See here for info on film: http://www.biltronix.com/asteroids_dlx.html

The cab stayed the same throughout its production life, but there are 2 different versions of the background artwork. I have the more green version (pic attached) and there is a orange version (personally I dig the green version more).

good day.

gargoyle73

• Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2017, 12:09:15 pm »
chopper - thank you, yes I do still have the front cardboard art and monitor cover, just missing the film, I saw that page and will order some!

http://www.classicgaming.cc/classics/asteroids/graphics

In case someone stumbles on the thread, hi res backgrounds for printing

I actually think I prefer the orange BG but both are cool, I DO like how Phoenix raised the large asteroid off the BG for added 3D effect, I may copy that

Hope to check fuses tonight after work

Lee

chopperthedog

• Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2017, 04:02:13 pm »
http://www.classicgaming.cc/classics/asteroids/graphics

In case someone stumbles on the thread, hi res backgrounds for printing

I actually think I prefer the orange BG but both are cool, I DO like how Phoenix raised the large asteroid off the BG for added 3D effect, I may copy that

Hope to check fuses tonight after work

Lee
Printing a background from that link would be a waste of time and money. The backgrounds are done with uv ink that react to black lights. Also this game uses what is known as a black light "blue" bulb (the bulb looks white when turned off) unlike the common party type black light. Attached are pics of the correct "blue" bulb and wrong "black" bulb. Also the 3d asteroids and ship are on the stock art, Phoenix just did a reproduction of an old one.

good day.

gargoyle73

• Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2017, 01:22:14 pm »
chopper - gotcha, original is obviously best, but have a lot of experience with UV reacting ink, I think its doable, if you are good, to go in over a print and paint in a decent/solid effect

Chad - sent you a PM, let me know and thanks again so much!

Okay cap kits ordered along with my first solder sucker, BUT in the meantime anyone have tips on investigating why my monitor isnt working?  Is shipping the pcb off for inspection/maintenance/fixing an inevitability? 

Today will check/replace fuses everywhere, double check molex connectors, any other ideas?

I could still really use a step-by-step explanation of checking voltages with a MM, off to Radioshack today to procure a digital unit

Thanks for the help/support all

Lee

gargoyle73

• Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2017, 06:04:27 pm »
UPDATE - checked all fuses today, power supply all fine, 2 DEAD on monitor board, switched out, powered on and behold I got some 'neck glow' in monitor (albeit feint but there, how bright should it be?) which is new, still no visuals though, red leds on pcb & monitor board, I can still start a game but it seems to reset when first asteroid explodes, sound is good & strong.

Next?  Go ahead and switch out all capacitors?  Should I go ahead and ship the board off?  Or try and address myself?  Also was planning on doing the Braze kit, should I go ahead and order/install?  However I assume the pcb could also be culprit in no picture?

Lee

chopperthedog

• Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2017, 06:58:34 pm »
You still haven't mentioned make and model of the monitor, AD was produced using 2 different types or it could've ​been switched to another model at some point. Once you know make / model you will be able to find flow charts and repair logs to help diagnose issue.

good day.

gargoyle73

• Offline Offline
« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2017, 12:41:11 pm »
Monitor - Amperex M50-102W, or wait is that just the tube?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 12:46:25 pm by gargoyle73 »