Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: TV power on/off  (Read 2451 times)

JQ

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2005, 06:30:59 pm
  • I want to Build My Own Arcade Controls!!
TV power on/off
« on: May 16, 2002, 09:47:04 am »
I bought a TV yesterday for my cabinet, and spent some time planning on how it will work in the cabinet.  Of course the main problem I came across was the fact that it won't stay powered on when the power is disconnected.  I was wondering if anyone has come up with some way to handle this, other that using the remote everytime you want to power up the system.

One of the VCR's that I've bought comes with a wire hookup, with a RF transmitter on the end, to send a signal to cable boxes or satellite boxes to handle changing channels.  I was wonder it this might be a possibility to handle sending a signal to the TV for turning it on.

Any suggestions?

Daniel
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by 1026619200 »

jelloslug

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 25, 2005, 03:55:59 pm
  • Splut!
    • Jelloslugs Arcade
Re: TV power on/off
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2002, 07:34:45 am »
The easy way to do this is to hack the power button like you would a keyboard or joypad and put a button on the cab somewhere to turn on the TV.  You can use any kind of NO button.

Rick Osborn

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2002, 08:54:15 am »
I just drilled a tiny hole thru the Happs bezel that lines up with the remote sensor on the front of the TV.  The hole isn't noticed easily and then then remote works fine for turning it on and off.  

I have the remote velcroed to the side of the cab behind the control panel.  So the remote isn't seen at all and I always know where it is.  

Sure, you could probably hack the TV switch, but really I wasn't interested in doing that to a brand new TV.  

So to turn on my cabinet I flick a main switch and also turn the TV on with the remote.  No big deal at all.

There are some TVs that will power back up if power is lost and then restored, so you could get one of those TVs and it would turn on when with the main power.

Rick

I bought a TV yesterday for my cabinet, and spent some time planning on how it will work in the cabinet.

JLR2000

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 18, 2021, 02:49:16 pm
  • There is NO Sanctuary...
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2002, 02:35:52 pm »
Okay, here's what I did:

I didn't want to hack a new TV either, but I wanted a simple external "on/off" switch.  The PC is on the home network, so I leave that on, but the Marquee light, the speaker amp, and the TV are on a separate power strip that I wired to an external light switch on the back of the cab.  When off all is quiet and dark, but with the flip of the switch on the back, the game is instantly on and ready to play.  FOR THE TV: like I said, I didn't want to hack the tv, but I found out that I could "short" the TV power button by pressing it in and inserting a thin piece of wire(paper clip) along side of it to hold the button in. It works great, you can now power it on or off via the power plug, the only issue is that this keeps the remote from working(on my model tv). Not a problem for me since I never have plans to change channels in the cab, but it might be an issue for you. This method works great for me and nothing is permanent.  I can take the tv out, pull out the wire and it works fine again.  Hope this helps......