Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Wii U bucket list  (Read 2397 times)

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2024, 10:59:21 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
Wii U bucket list
« on: May 19, 2017, 07:50:50 pm »
Ok so before I lay my poor wii u to rest and put it in the archive, I suppose I better get every bit of gaming out of it that I can.  So I'm going down the list.  I'm posting because I thought others might find it helpful, especially since the Wii U will soon be on deep discount. 

Here are the games I own or have played and a short impression of each:

Assassin's Creed III - One of my favorites and I'm surprised others don't like it.  The PS3 version looks better, but it has loading issues.
Assassin's Creed IV - Get the XB1/PS4 version as the graphics are better, but it's still a fine game.
Arkham Origins - The black sheep of the Batman games.  It's pretty good, but not nearly as fun as City or Knight.
Ducktales Remastered - Purists might not like the new additions, but I think way forward did a great job.  Highly recommended.
Nintendoland - The only mini game title on the system.  It has way more depth than wii sports/play/ect but it is still just a minigame collection.  A couple are alarmingly fun.
Pikmin 3 - This starts off a bit slow, but once you get into it the game is quite fun.  One of the few games that makes great use of the touchscreen.
Super Mario/Luigi Bros. U - The Mario disc is just more of the same from the "new" series... nothing to write home about.  The Luigi disc is annoyingly challenging.
Super Mario 3d World - A fantastic game... reminds me of smb 2.  The only problem is it's really short.
ZombiU - I'll be honest... I'm not into fps games anymore and I never got around to playing this one seriously.  Honestly it feels like an ugly Left4Dead
DKC:TF - Eh, it's a sequel to the Wii DKC game.  If you want a 2d platformer that isn't as good as the New SMB franchise, knock yourself out.
Mario Kart 8 -  Second best game on the system.  Probably the best Mario Kart ever.  If you don't have a switch then try it.
Hyrule Warriors - Eh, it's ok if you like the Dynasty Warriors franchise.  I don't, so I quit about halfway through the story mode.
Smash Bros - I convinced myself to buy this one and immediately regret it.  Hey if smash is your thing it's a good version, otherwise it's just more smash.
Bayonetta (2) - I got to the last boss on the first one and the difficulty made the game tedious, so I quit playing.  It was fun up until then though and I'll probably finish part 2 eventually.

Ninja Gaiden 3 - Do you like Bayonetta?  Well it's that with ninjas instead of witches and demons instead of angels.
Super Mario Maker- Probably the 3rd best game on the system. Do you like Mario?  Wanna make your own levels?  Want access to infinite fan-created levels?  It's a no-brainer.
LOZ:BOTW - So they've sold more switch versions of this game than there are switches... yes it's that good.  Easily the best game on the system.  Prepare to lose a month of your life.

Shantae: Pirate's curse - a damn fine platformer.  It's short, but sweet.
Shovel Knight - see shantae
Just Dance - they all suck
Captain Toad - A very fun puzzle game with a cute story and a second quest.  Be warned... it's quite short for a full retial game
Mighty No. 9 - excessive load times, even after death make this game unplayable.

So for now that's it.  I intend to play Yoshi's wolly world, Wonderful 101, Splatoon, and the two Star Fox games.  After that I think it's time to retire it.  If there are any suggestions I'm willing to try them though.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:01:53 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
Re: Wii U bucket list
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 10:55:05 pm »
Yoshis Wooly World is probably my favorite on the system, to be honest.

Locke141

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 03, 2024, 06:00:00 am
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2017, 07:06:23 am »
LOZ:BOTW - So they've sold more switch versions of this game than there are switches... yes it's that good.  Easily the best game on the system.  Prepare to lose a month of your life.

This is what made me want one. I just need to find one on the cheep.

thomas_surles

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 19, 2023, 07:20:00 pm
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2017, 04:45:59 pm »
Yoshis Wooly World is probably my favorite on the system, to be honest.
I second this. Multiplayer was more fun than by myself.
Mario party 10 is good if you got people to play with and also like mario party games. The bowser party mode was a good addition  with a group of people.
Dont forget about paper mario.
I still havent tried nes remix but it might be worth a look

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2024, 10:59:21 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2017, 08:56:53 pm »
Yeah I've got that one too.  It's fun, but it gets old in an afternoon. 

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:01:53 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2017, 08:57:56 pm »
I only ever played it multiplayer, it was fun.

lordnacho

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 21, 2023, 07:38:14 pm
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2017, 02:15:38 pm »
I don't see any reason to archive the Wii U, I'm sure as hell not rebuying Mario _(fill in the blank)_ again if I get a Switch.  Bitter I guess.

thomas_surles

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 19, 2023, 07:20:00 pm
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2017, 03:23:47 pm »
Well from a collectors point of veiw the lack of games on the wii u is kind of a relief in a way.