Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Hantarex (MTC 900/E?) dead?  (Read 7084 times)

OnePunchRob

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 26, 2024, 07:52:42 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Hantarex (MTC 900/E?) dead?
« on: May 17, 2017, 05:46:08 pm »
Hi,

I wonder if someone can help me.  I recently bought an old Jamma cab from a friend.  The monitor doesn't show anything when powered on and there is no glow in the neck at all.

It's definitely a Hantarex, but I'm not sure what model it is.  From what I have read online I'm thinking it might be a MTC 900/E.  The main boards are marked with PE07 and D(something)04.  The neck board is marked NE04.

I have checked both fuses on the main board and both are fine and haven't blown.  However, after testing a few points in continuity on a multi-meter, I'm not getting a beep from one component.  It's the long white bar at the top of the attached image.  There is another smaller one of these on the board which seems fine.

Does anyone know what this part is?  There are no markings on it that I can see.  Is it fixable, or replaceable?

There is also a loose wire hanging from the bare earth wire that goes around the tube.  The spade clip on this wire still has the terminal inside so looks like it's snapped off from somewhere.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

grantspain

• I personally prefer "bog trotter"
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 08:30:34 am
Re: Hantarex (MTC 900/E?) dead?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2017, 11:51:17 am »
that is the load resistor on the regulator,they rarely go open circuit-only if the regulator is short circuit and the chassis is left powered on for a long time
it should be 200 ohm,read it with a meter

you need to check the hot and regulator(both mounted at opposite heat shields) but almost certainly TH2 will be open circuit one side(should read about 1 ohm one side and around 60 ohms the other)

the black wire hanging down is the dag earth from the tube and should plug into a spade header on the neck card,it has obviously broken off which is quite common-you can hard wire back in,its marked FS9 on the neck card

OnePunchRob

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2017, 06:44:30 am »
Thanks grantspain!

I need to get a new meter and then I'll check these out and report back.

OnePunchRob

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2017, 06:15:24 pm »
that is the load resistor on the regulator,they rarely go open circuit-only if the regulator is short circuit and the chassis is left powered on for a long time
it should be 200 ohm,read it with a meter

you need to check the hot and regulator(both mounted at opposite heat shields) but almost certainly TH2 will be open circuit one side(should read about 1 ohm one side and around 60 ohms the other)

the black wire hanging down is the dag earth from the tube and should plug into a spade header on the neck card,it has obviously broken off which is quite common-you can hard wire back in,its marked FS9 on the neck card

Hi,

So I tested this out.  The load resistor on the regulator is reading 6.00k ohms with the multimeter leads one way and 0.666k ohms the other way round.  The slot in the resistor looks like it has something in it that looks a lot like sand.  Is that normal?  I'll put a pic here so you can see it (resistor.jpg).

I checked the HOT, which reads around 39.4k on both sides (c to e and c to b). 

The regulator reads around 156k ohms on both sides (c to e and c to b).

What's the correct way to read TH2?  I can see four terminals on the top, two with really fine wire going to them from what I can see and two with a thicker wire.

I also noticed while having a look at the board, that two of the pins on the flyback haven't been soldered to the board.  Is that normal too?  I have attached a pic of that in 'flyback_pins.jpg', where you can see the pins towards the bottom.

I noticed the biggest cap is bulging at the top so I'll be replacing all the caps I think, once I find out what's wrong here.  I've seen cap kits on Ian Kelloggs site, with the HOT too, but I can't seem to see the regulator anywhere.  TIPL751 is the part number if anyone knows where to find one.

Thanks guys, hopefully this can all be repaired!

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:40:39 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2017, 08:36:20 pm »
The slot in the resistor looks like it has something in it that looks a lot like sand.  Is that normal?

Yes, it's a "cement" resistor. Cement resistors are made to handle a large amount of power flowing through it with it being undamaged by heat or flames. If you are designing a circuit where a lot of current is being passed through a resistor thus, it needing to be resistant to high heat and flame. If it fails, it will usually crack open.

I also noticed while having a look at the board, that two of the pins on the flyback haven't been soldered to the board.  Is that normal too?

Yep, just unused pins. that flyback could be used on a few different boards with different voltage requirements. the extra pins would be for these different requirements.

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2021, 12:25:59 am
  • Technician
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 12:16:31 am by Ken Layton »

OnePunchRob

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2017, 05:56:22 am »
The slot in the resistor looks like it has something in it that looks a lot like sand.  Is that normal?

Yes, it's a "cement" resistor. Cement resistors are made to handle a large amount of power flowing through it with it being undamaged by heat or flames. If you are designing a circuit where a lot of current is being passed through a resistor thus, it needing to be resistant to high heat and flame. If it fails, it will usually crack open.

I also noticed while having a look at the board, that two of the pins on the flyback haven't been soldered to the board.  Is that normal too?

Yep, just unused pins. that flyback could be used on a few different boards with different voltage requirements. the extra pins would be for these different requirements.

Thanks for the info!  If the "cement" is only at both ends then and completely gone in the middle, would this still work ok or does it need replacing?  Can you still buy these anymore?

OnePunchRob

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2017, 05:58:52 am »
My repair guide for the 900/e:

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=sites&srcid=ZGVmYXVsdGRvbWFpbnxtdHBhY2lmaWNvfGd4OjNmNGNjYTE2NTEzOWE2N2M

All my repair guides are here:

https://sites.google.com/site/mtpacifico/kens_korner

Thanks for that Ken!  I can't access that at work, so I'll check it out from home tonight   :cheers:

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2017, 11:04:58 am »

Thanks for the info!  If the "cement" is only at both ends then and completely gone in the middle, would this still work ok or does it need replacing?  Can you still buy these anymore?

you can still buy a comparable resistor. it's spec'd a 330 ohm 30 watt (+/- 10%.)

i would disconnect the wires from one side then measure it and see where it's at. (need to do it open circuit so nothing else in the circuit can influence the reading) if it's where it's supposed to be i'd leave it for now, if it out beyond it's 10% rating (less than 297 ohms or larger than 363 ohms) , replace it.

a decent replacement as original might be really hard to find without robbing one off another board (as resistor technology has changed in the years since it's manufacture), but an electrical equivalent might be a Vishay "RE75G3300C02"

grantspain

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2017, 05:32:27 pm »
very sure its a 220 ohm on the mtc900e, its 330 ohm on the mtc9000

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2017, 12:29:49 am »
oh yep, your right. im not sure what schematic i pulled up, it must have been the 9000

too many pdfs 

OnePunchRob

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2017, 06:47:18 am »
Thanks, I will try it open circuit then and see what reading I get.  What do you think to the other readings I got for the HOT (39.4k ohms) and Regulator (156k ohms)?  Are they way off and need replacing too?

How do you read TH2 with it's 4 terminals?

Thanks for the help so far guys, you are all awesome  :notworthy:

grantspain

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2017, 11:01:57 am »
for th2 set your meter to ohms and place probe on each leg of the pair
one side has is the super thin wires and that's the side that should read 60 ohms or 70 ohms depending on model
the other side will read anything from 0.6 to 1 ohm

the thin wire corrodes, it's about the most common problem on mtc900 range chassis

OnePunchRob

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2017, 12:33:19 pm »
Yeah the super thin side looks dead.  Is there a modern day equivalent part for this that might be a bit more reliable?  If not, are these easy to come by?  Not sure what to search for to get a new one.

Thanks again!

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2017, 03:00:22 pm »
I usually just use the legs I've clipped off and have left over after i install a new capacitor.

some of the little more substantial legs work just fine.

grantspain

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2017, 06:00:59 pm »
you can either rewind the entire coil or locate the break and scrape off some of the outer laquer and solder a single core of wire to that
its very fiddley

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2017, 06:09:40 pm »
I usually just use the legs I've clipped off and have left over after i install a new capacitor.

some of the little more substantial legs work just fine.

sorry... i'm tired... carry on.

grantspain

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2017, 06:34:34 pm »
btw the side with the thin wires should read about 70 ohms when good

OnePunchRob

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2017, 06:31:39 pm »
So I got this repaired by the excellent Grant here (event after the delivery company smashed the board!).

I've tweaked the settings so the monitor looks mostly great.  However, I am now seeing darker pixels running left to right, top to bottom.  I have a couple of pics here, hopefully you can see the problem.

Any ideas what this is?  Bad adjustment on one of the pots or the flyback?  Interference from something else maybe?

baritonomarchetto

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 02:40:48 pm
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2017, 12:38:57 am »
That looks like a ground issue to me. Are you missing the main ground on the chassis? Is the video groumd properly connected?

OnePunchRob

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2017, 06:39:40 am »
Should all be hooked up, but I'll take a look incase something has come loose.

Thanks!

grantspain

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2017, 05:02:08 pm »
yes that is ground interference
if you have a switch mode supply link the earth and common together

OnePunchRob

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2017, 05:15:14 pm »
Hi,

Sorry I've been away for a while.

Which earth should I be looking at?  Dag earth is connected ok to the neckboard.  CP looks to be earthed ok.  There's an earth on the CRT boards that looks like its just wired to the metal frame of the chassis (See pic earth1.jpg). 

One connection I'm not sure of is pictured in earth2.jpg and earth3.jpg.  There are 6 connections here, Blue, Green, Red, Black, Yellow and White.  All but the Yellow one go into a connector then off to the Jamma harness.  The Yellow appears to be just cut.  From the schematics it looks like these connections could be R, G, B, Gnd, H and V.  However looking at them I'm not sure of the order now and which the Yellow is supposed to be.  Could that be the ground I'm missing?  Or is it that I just need to run the common ground from the controls to the earth on the power supply?  Common ground on the controls currently goes to Gnd on a JPac.

Thanks for all the help guys!

grantspain

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2017, 05:37:06 pm »
the fault will be related to earth on the power supply- ignore the monitor

follow the power wiring back from the jamma connector to the power-send a photo of the power supply connections

OnePunchRob

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2017, 09:10:33 am »
Hi,

Two photos of the power supply for you.  The orange cable coming in goes out of the cab to the plug, the two thin white wires are for the marquee light.

Thanks.

grantspain

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2017, 06:31:48 am »
put a wire link from the ground(black wire)terminal to earth(green/yellow stripe) terminal

OnePunchRob

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2017, 10:02:56 am »
So just going from the terminal with 2 black wires to the terminal with green and yellow earth wires?  That's it?

grantspain

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2017, 06:20:53 pm »
in the pic link these two

OnePunchRob

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2017, 07:56:19 am »
Managed to sort this at the weekend and it looks great now!

Thanks again for all your help  :cheers: