Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Radius of Corners for Adding T-Molding Trim  (Read 6668 times)

THRobinson

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 28, 2021, 05:11:31 pm
  • Early stages of my first build!
Radius of Corners for Adding T-Molding Trim
« on: May 17, 2017, 04:08:28 pm »
Hey guys, just designing my first cabinet build and wondered about corner radius for adding T-Molding. Watched a few videos on YouTube of builds and was mentioned that the molding did not work well on sharp corners, so I wanted to round mine out, but not too much.

What's a good radius to use that's not too much, but 3/4" molding will go on easily?

Thanks
Self design cabinet, using a Samsung 204B 4:3 LCD, and RaspberryPi 3B+  running RetroPi.

Slippyblade

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2023, 11:39:51 am
  • And to the death god we say, "Not today!"
Re: Radius of Corners for Adding T-Molding Trim
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 04:48:33 pm »
There is no minimum radius.  The thing to remember is that when doing bends you will simply cut little 'V' notches in the spine and that will allow it to flex around the curves.

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+45)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 08:02:44 pm
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 04:50:44 pm »
I'd stick to a 1/2" radius or bigger if you want it to be easy.  And you will need to notch like slippy said. 

morton

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 23, 2021, 09:36:59 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2017, 08:50:06 am »
I watched a few videos, and it would seem that the toughest are inside curves, not so much outside curves. With a tight outside corner, I've seen many at 90, but I knocked a bit off mine, just enough to soften the corner... I will still be notching, using a lil heat, and pulling it tightly, which will hopefully keep that corner nice. I've seen others run into problems on inside curves, like where the sides transition to the marquee area, and they realized they should have made it a curved corner as the T-Mold sits a bit nicer. Not sure the radius, but I myself will sacrifice a few feet of T-Mold so I can do a quick practice run... better than finding out 10ft into the strip that something be wrong.

Hope that made sense.

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+45)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 08:02:44 pm
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2017, 09:20:33 am »
Inside curves are super easy... just cut a slit (not a notch) into your T-molding so it can bend the other way.

morton

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 23, 2021, 09:36:59 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2017, 01:59:33 pm »
Inside curves are super easy... just cut a slit (not a notch) into your T-molding so it can bend the other way.

Mhmmm. I was trying to say that curves were better than sharp inside corners... there was a build with hard 90 degree insides that didn't play as nice as they had hoped and they should have used a small curve IIRC.

THRobinson

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 28, 2021, 05:11:31 pm
  • Early stages of my first build!
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2017, 01:47:15 pm »
Thanks for the info... some reason the mail notification didn't work.

Doing the design in illustrator first, and again, saw some vids where they did sharp corners and didn't work well. I understand that the bigger the curve radius the better, but on some corners I want the minimal amount of curve. Being 3/4" wood, I'll probably do 3/4" corners, bit more than 1/2".

Still a while before I start cutting though, first time designing one, and doing my own design (not a template) so still tweeking. :)
Self design cabinet, using a Samsung 204B 4:3 LCD, and RaspberryPi 3B+  running RetroPi.

coasterlvr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2023, 09:02:24 pm
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2017, 12:33:56 am »
you can do anything up to 90 degrees outside easy.  just relief cuts needed.