Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Sega Ringwide loader- Sega Racing Classic AKA Daytona playable  (Read 71001 times)

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 12:55:20 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
Re: Sega Ringwide loader- Sega Racing Classic AKA Daytona playable
« Reply #200 on: August 26, 2018, 07:23:11 pm »
I would presume the arcade version of Outrun 2006 simply links two players, where Howard's amazing frontend doesn't have the LAN mode option yet, so you have to go through the menus? And in LAN the player positions might show up correctly on the arcade version, where the PC is pretty glitchy, and someone coming second can often be declared to win? So for a linked arcade cab, the Arcade version might be best. Also, aren't the graphics nicer and more colourful on the arcade version, even with the bloom mod enabled for PC? Or was that Outrun Online i'm thinking of?

EDIT: so, as a simple Autohotkey script for SR3 track swapping, i'm going to start with the following.

SR3 script.ahk
FileMoveDir, C:\games\Sega Rally 3\Rally\main_release\tracks orig, C:\games\Sega Rally 3\Rally\main_release\tracks, R

sleep 500

Run "C:\games\teknoparrot_1.41\SR3.bat

winwaitactive, Rally.exe

~x::
send, esc
process, close, rally.exe
process, close, racing.exe
process, close, racing
process, close, parrotloader.exe

sleep 2000

FileMoveDir, C:\games\Sega Rally 3\Rally\main_release\tracks, C:\games\Sega Rally 3\Rally\main_release\tracks orig, R

sleep 2000

exitapp

return

SR3.bat
@echo off

start C:\games\Teknoparrot_1.41\TeknoParrotUi.exe --profile=sr3.xml

I'd advise ignoring/removing my "process, close" commands unless you need them. I was having trouble getting joytokey to deliver the Esc key to exit teknoparrot, and then problems with AttractMode frontend not coming back up, and these commands help that.

This works without a folder named "tracks" in the main_release directory to begin with, and a folder named "tracks orig" instead which contains a full set of tracks, not just any altered ones. It then takes the folder named "tracks orig" and names it "tracks", then loads the game via the bat file and waits for the exit command (mine is the "x" key). On detecting the exit command it kills all processes to do with SR3, and swaps the folder names back again. To use in a frontend, all you would need to do is make a text file, change the extension to .ahk, copy in the above, changing details as needed, and select this file in the autohotkey compiler to make an exe. For different combinations of tracks, copy the ahk file, alter the directory it's renaming to "tracks" and back again, and compile another exe.

I have now tested the script, and as above it works fine. The sleep commands may not be required, i cannot confirm, but they don't hurt. Do *not* use quotation marks in or around any of the lines that rename folders.

This method means each folder of tracks, "tracks 2", "tracks 3" or whatever, needs a full set of tracks, not just the swapped ones. It also means your frontend will have as many entires for SR3 as you have track variations. I'm going to look into some sort of interface or message window that will allow a user command to select which trackset, but negative1's batch file idea might be best for that.

* By a full set of tracks i mean including stadium4, viewer1 etc folders. You do not need every single possible track, just a set to get the game working.

EDIT: Thus far all tracks i have subbed in work, apart from Alpine2, Alpine 3 and Arctic 3 (i think). I have tested most of the tracks, but not all of them.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 08:46:13 am by buttersoft »

Boomslang

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 01, 2024, 08:20:43 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #201 on: August 27, 2018, 12:48:54 am »
Outrun 2 Lindbergh works fine 4 player over lan just so you know  :)

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #202 on: August 27, 2018, 01:19:39 am »

Oops, i phrased that wrong. I was trying to highlight the fact that on the PC you have to go through the menus to get to LAN mode (i.e not ideal for a sitdown arcade-style cab) and that the LAN mode on the PC has that bug where the opposing car(s) can appear anywhere on your screen - ahead, behind, driving through the walls, etc - and the timing of what's going on is so weird that you can cross the line first on your own screen and on an opponent's screen and still finish behind them on the podium.

If the arcade version lacks these glitches that's a selling point from where i sit, pun intended :) I would imagine it works with 6-8 players, or is it only 4?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 01:24:30 am by buttersoft »

Boomslang

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 01, 2024, 08:20:43 pm
« Reply #203 on: August 27, 2018, 01:42:51 am »
think max is 4

There is still graphical issues tho on Lindbergh version however which need to be solved sometime before I would say  Lindbergh version is superior to PC version

they are pretty damn similar really but like you said, PC version has LAN glitchy issues

italospain

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2022, 12:10:19 pm
« Reply #204 on: August 27, 2018, 04:07:35 am »
 ???
Totally changing the subject; As a Windows 7 plebite I haven't been able to try out any of the Lindbergh stuff. Is there any advantage to playing Outrun 2 SP in TeknoParrot as opposed to just sticking with the PC version?

Not really no. The main advantage is the arcade version in TP is it won't randomly screw up your control and input assignments the way the PC version occasionally does. Also the arcade version has better torque FFB, but is missing the road surface and collision effects Howard created for the PC version. In my book, the PC version is still king. If the arcade version of SP had the original tracks from OR2 then it would have been a lot closer contest between the two.

The arcade version of SP has the original tracks from OR2 only in the Online Arcade Version for PS3 and Xbox360 the tracks are missing.

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 24, 2024, 07:22:01 pm
  • As I pass, do I give you the ass or the crotch?
« Reply #205 on: August 27, 2018, 07:19:04 pm »

Oops, i phrased that wrong. I was trying to highlight the fact that on the PC you have to go through the menus to get to LAN mode (i.e not ideal for a sitdown arcade-style cab) and that the LAN mode on the PC has that bug where the opposing car(s) can appear anywhere on your screen - ahead, behind, driving through the walls, etc - and the timing of what's going on is so weird that you can cross the line first on your own screen and on an opponent's screen and still finish behind them on the podium.

If the arcade version lacks these glitches that's a selling point from where i sit, pun intended :) I would imagine it works with 6-8 players, or is it only 4?

Ah, you're right there, I was forgetting how glitchy the PC LAN is. In 2 player LANs I've set-up back in the day, the game timers on the 2 PCs would frequently get out of sync and one player could run out of time before reaching a checkpoint and the other could still keep going. The other player's car would also seem to jump all over the track, and be behind you one second then suddenly glitch in front of you the next. Back before my oldest PC died ( :( sob) I set-up a three player game incorporating my Bartop machine as well, and with the other two players by the end of the 2nd stage and would end up going on a totally different route.

The arcade version of SP has the original tracks from OR2 only in the Online Arcade Version for PS3 and Xbox360 the tracks are missing.

Hmmm, I think you've possibly had a translation breakdown there, because that sentence doesn't make any sense. The original OR2 tracks are not in arcade SP, the tracks in that are the SP specific tracks (Americana themed, rather than the Eurocentric ones from the original OR2)- same as Outrun Online Arcade.

italospain

• Offline Offline
« Reply #206 on: August 28, 2018, 03:49:47 am »
ok to be more clear:

the Lindbergh Outrun 2 SP Arcade Version has all 30 tracks.

proof :

sorry for my bad english.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 05:26:08 am by italospain »

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
« Reply #207 on: August 28, 2018, 06:10:21 am »
Oh man, my bad, I stand corrected :o. I was absolutely convinced for some reason that Arcade OR2 SP only had the 15 tracks from Outrun Online Arcade in it. Well, that's good to know! P.S. I hadn't realised that you were ItalianGuy videogame and arcade's channel (AKA skeleton081983). Your videos of Scud Race and Daytona USA 2 running in MAME from about, ooooh, probably 10 years or so ago now, were one of the main things that persuaded me to give Model 3 emulation a try and eventually, a few years later, to upgrade my PC to get it working properly  :cheers:. The very first time I tried Scud Race on my old Pentium 4 PC from back then in MAME32 it ran at about 1 frame every 2 seconds.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 06:12:17 am by MrThunderwing »

italospain

• Offline Offline
« Reply #208 on: August 28, 2018, 07:17:15 am »
no problem

but i am not the ItalianGuy. Only a big Outrun fan.

greetings

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 18, 2024, 02:38:32 am
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #209 on: August 28, 2018, 05:59:07 pm »
ok to be more clear:

the Lindbergh Outrun 2 SP Arcade Version has all 30 tracks.

proof :

sorry for my bad english.

Wait a minute.... what in the FLYING ---fudgesicle--- is going on here!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?  :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: How did you access the original OR2 tracks in SPDX? I looked at the video, and you don't seem to do anything special at the start, and yet the race loaded up with you playing the original OR2 tracks....WTF? Can you please reveal how you did this trick? Because my mind is blown the ---fudgesicle--- away right now!!!

italospain

• Offline Offline
« Reply #210 on: August 29, 2018, 03:21:09 am »
I am not the uploader of the youtube video.

But he does nothing special. You can select sp tracks or original tracks with the car view button in the game mode selection screen.

greetings

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #211 on: August 29, 2018, 03:37:16 am »
How many of you guys knew about this? Raise your hand. Cuz i sure didn't. WOW....

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #212 on: August 30, 2018, 01:44:56 am »
bump

racerjay

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 11, 2018, 12:58:18 am
« Reply #213 on: September 11, 2018, 12:41:06 am »
having issue with src networking
main and subs are set , tried multiple ip combination 192.168.0.1 - .4   and 192.168.1.1 -.4
tried just 2 cabs  stuck at checking network now
all firewalls disabled
mk10 and sr3 work fine

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #214 on: September 11, 2018, 05:40:22 am »
Assuming those IP's are on the correct subnet, does SRC require you to go into the service menu and set the cabs as P1-P4?

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
« Reply #215 on: September 12, 2018, 03:26:51 pm »
Anyone with Windows 7 manage to get that GTI Club game working in the latest Teknoparrot? It crashes for me after the boot screen.

Edit: NVM, got it sorted now.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 05:27:49 pm by MrThunderwing »

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #216 on: October 07, 2018, 08:59:43 pm »
So, to keep the conversation going... Has the public TP been updated to include OR2 LAN mode at this stage? Any other changes worth noting? I've been out of the loop for a bit.

Part of the reason for my being out of the loop is SR3. I really appreciate the help with the track swap, it's a great game, and adding content makes it a worthy competitor to OR2, in my book, for best game on my driving setups. As i get deeper in i'll try to post back about which swapped tracks will load, but don't give enough time for the player to finish :)