Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Sega Ringwide loader- Sega Racing Classic AKA Daytona playable  (Read 7311 times)

shaolindrunkard

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
Re: Sega Ringwide loader- Sega Racing Classic AKA Daytona playable
« Reply #80 on: September 27, 2017, 08:10:16 am »
Keep telling yourself that :dunno :laugh2:

Handling is revo is completely different to 3 and not in a better way

Also no online arcade is not superior it is limited to 30 fps

But I'm not going to argue with you on an opinion

^This. Revo may have a ton of extra content compared to SR3, but the game has got seriously odd handling. Some people seem to get on OK with it, but I hated it personally, to the extent I played the game a few times and then gave up on it. What SR3 lacks in content compared to Revo it makes up for by greatly (in my opinion) improved, proper arcade racer style handling, making the game enjoyable to play. Online Arcade might have a a couple of extra bonus cars compared to SR3, but SR3 wins again here by sheer virtue of the facts it's 60fps and Online Arcade is 30fps.

You tell em! I knew as soon as I saw that post you were gonna set em straight. lol.

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #81 on: September 27, 2017, 08:20:51 pm »
Yeah, Revo is ok, but has very, very sensitive steering.

In other news you can change the SR3 ini to 640x480 resolution! I think this means it will work on 15kHz screens, read old arcade driving setups, though i've only tested this on my desktop setup on an LCD, not my actual arcade setups.

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
  • As I pass, do I give you the ass or the crotch?
« Reply #82 on: September 30, 2017, 12:44:21 pm »
Keep telling yourself that :dunno :laugh2:

Also no online arcade is not superior it is limited to 30 fps

But I'm not going to argue with you on an opinion

^This. Revo may have a ton of extra content compared to SR3, but the game has got seriously odd handling. Some people seem to get on OK with it, but I hated it personally, to the extent I played the game a few times and then gave up on it. What SR3 lacks in content compared to Revo it makes up for by greatly (in my opinion) improved, proper arcade racer style handling, making the game enjoyable to play. Online Arcade might have a a couple of extra bonus cars compared to SR3, but SR3 wins again here by sheer virtue of the facts it's 60fps and Online Arcade is 30fps.

You tell em! I knew as soon as I saw that post you were gonna set em straight. lol.

Well, you know me too well mate  ;) I try not to be too overbearing about these things, as everyone has different tastes, but one thing I do feel very strongly about is the importance of racing games running at 60fps. I'd rather have less graphical detail in the game as a whole, if it mean keeping it 60fps, than a lavish 30fps racer - I think it's part of the reason all the old Sega Model 2 and 3 games still (to me anyway) look so good now, despite their aged hardware. Likewise, the way the game handles is equally important. A game may have a gazillion tons of content, but if I'm not having fun playing it it's pointless. I made the mistake with Revo of getting a copy of the game on PC despite the fact I hadn't enjoyed the demo on PS3 at all, based purely on the Sega Rally name, thinking, "I'll like it if I just give it some time." Won't be making that mistake again.

shaolindrunkard

• Offline Offline
« Reply #83 on: September 30, 2017, 02:53:27 pm »
I'm fully with ya, they can add all the extra tracks and car skins they want. If you the game doesn't play well, forget it.

mickael28

• Offline Offline
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #84 on: October 01, 2017, 08:26:50 pm »

Hey guys, I don't want to get into the topic of which game is better, but really curious about what's your feeling about the difference in handling. Is that something than can be explained in words?

Mainly asking because I started with Sega Rally Revo on PC a while ago and I was fine, then I saw the Sega Rally 3 version on Teknoparrot and I played it once only, but because it didn't have force feedback, I went back to Sega Rally Revo. However, in the few races I didn't in Sega Rally 3, I didn't notice any difference. Not that I was paying attention or that I knew they were handling different, but what's that difference to pay attention next time?

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #85 on: October 02, 2017, 07:15:15 am »
I'm having trouble with this again. Changed to a windows 10 setup, and com0com installed, JVS emulation tests ok, but when i click to load SR3, the loader comes up, then the tiny gamerunning window, the text describing what's going on, then the "Racing" window opens up, but it's tiny and in the top left, and after a minute says "not responding" and then goes away, as do the JVs and gamerunning windows, leaving only the dumbJVSmanager window. I've tried both the original and hacked exe's, set a resolution my screen can handle, changed to windowed mode 1 ...and what else do i need to do?

Oh, and when I click the SR3 window outside teknoparrot, the game does launch, shows the mudsplatter but just keeps repeating that, won't go any further. No sound at all. I note on UK arcades video it does the opposite- no video but with sound...does it do that for anyone else?

Any ideas about what to try?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 07:19:11 am by buttersoft »

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
  • As I pass, do I give you the ass or the crotch?
« Reply #86 on: October 02, 2017, 03:43:28 pm »
mickael28, just play the two games back-to-back and you'll notice the difference. Revo is far more slippery feeling.

mickael28

• Offline Offline
« Reply #87 on: October 02, 2017, 04:40:44 pm »
mickael28, just play the two games back-to-back and you'll notice the difference. Revo is far more slippery feeling.

I always noticed Revo really slippery yes, although I thought that was the way all those games were. I'll have a look to SR3 when I've got the chance, not likely in the near future though...Thanks

nugarp

• Offline Offline
« Reply #88 on: October 09, 2017, 04:11:17 pm »
Oh, and when I click the SR3 window outside teknoparrot, the game does launch, shows the mudsplatter but just keeps repeating that, won't go any further. No sound at all. I note on UK arcades video it does the opposite- no video but with sound...does it do that for anyone else?

I have video and no sound during the SR3 mudsplatter screen, but the rest of the game loads alright for me within about 5 seconds, also on w10 x64.

In other news, reaver said in his twitch stream today that once they get this ID card/link play out of the way, SRC and sonic racing multiplayer is up next.  :cheers:

negative1

• Offline Offline
Re: Sega Ringwide loader- Sega Rally 3 - no controls
« Reply #89 on: November 06, 2017, 09:37:49 pm »
Ok, just to give it a chance, I am willing to try Sega Rally 3, and see how it plays.

Got it up and running (but not in teknoparrot 0.8, 1.03 or 1.06 - won't start)... Frame rate is good, resolution is modified to ultrawide screen. 2560x1080

No sound [Fixed by setting in ini file], but most problematic, no controls work.
--------------------------------------------------------

Keyboard doesnt work. Tried all the keys.
Xbox 360 controller doesn't work.
USB joystick with xinput doesn't work.

There is no response from the game whatsoever. Any ideas?
--------------------------------------------------------------------
I saw an area in the ini files for game controller, but don't know what to set it to,

I'm running windows 7 64 bit, pro version.

thanks, and if i can get it working, i can give my impressions of the gameplay and control.

I have gone back to sega rally revo on the xbox 360 after several years, and am now a lot better at it, and noticing the difference in
car handling in all the models and what the tracks are like. so i think it will be fairly easy to play the arcade version even if the AI
is set to hard mode.

later
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 01:15:44 am by negative1 »

negative1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #90 on: November 17, 2017, 09:11:37 pm »
Ok, just an update on this.

Still haven't gotten it working yet:
--------------------------------------
tried older versions - no luck
different controllers - nope

===============================
the furthest i got was:
------------------------
windows 10 on different computer
version 1.06
Dumbjvmsmanager now works - can save settings properly, and identifies xbox 360 controller

replaced rally3 exe with a working one - everything starts up, but game does not load
[game starts up when exe is run directly]

ford racing - game crashes on opening

my old setup
-----------------
windows 7 64 bit

dumbjvmsmanager - can't save settings, always gets an error = i tried hardcoding values but no luck
sometimes the program crashes when you go into settings, and says it stopped working

the directx drop down does not identify the controller, no matter what settings or controllers i use,
even though windows 7 recognizes them.

=============

getting closer, but still no luck..

if anyone can recommend a controller, or settings, maybe i can try those.

thanks

later

Boomslang

• Online Online
« Reply #91 on: November 18, 2017, 01:24:22 am »
Just jump on the teknogods discord server man and they will sort you out

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31