Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: JVL centronics cable  (Read 5335 times)

Aahzz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 14, 2017, 10:57:34 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
JVL centronics cable
« on: May 12, 2017, 12:57:57 am »
It's probably a long shot but I'm try to update my software in my JVL eclipse. It came on a cd. Instructions to use a centronics cable that should have come with the machine but mine does not have it. Anyone have a cable they would sell? Or does anyone know if there is a work around for this? 

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 04:40:51 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
Re: JVL centronics cable
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2017, 10:11:00 am »
there might be a workaround... depending on the version.

If you insert your disk into a windows machine it should pull up a program to create a USB dump that will put the contents onto a USB drive. then you just boot the JVL with the USB.

Aahzz

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2017, 11:46:48 am »
I thought so also. I am upgrading to itouch9.  When I put the cd in nothing happens. I looked for an exe that would launch a program but nothing worked. I tried to just copy the contents but that wouldn't work.

Aahzz

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2017, 12:04:29 pm »
Anyone ever try a external USB cd rom drive?  I don't really want to spend the money on if it's not going to work.

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2017, 01:08:28 pm »
yeh, I think the usb creation tool was added in iTouch 10.

a usb cd rom drive could possibly work. I have seen cases where they don't for some reason though (some versions of megatouch and an installation of smoothwall).

I mean if you have one or can borrow one it can't hurt to try. but i wouldn't go buy one just because.

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:05:37 pm
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2017, 01:40:57 pm »
At least with HD2 and HD3 you need to use a externally powered usb dvd drive. I don't know about it9 or it10 though.

Aahzz

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2017, 03:15:46 pm »
Thx for the info guys.  I went with 9 because I was unsure if it would run 10.  It has the jp20 board stock processor with 256 ram. So I played it safe and it doesn't work anyhow 😖 

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2017, 06:59:33 pm »
I dont have a jp20 mobo but if it has a centronics cable (or had) its probably IDE (unless the jp20 has a proprietary connector) If there is a IDE connector you can probably use an IDE cd/dvd rom drive if you have one.

Aahzz

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2017, 11:16:04 pm »
Well the USB cd rom works but I get an error when upgrading the software. Anyone know the minimum requirements for itouch 10?  Like I said it has the jp20 board with the standard 600 MHz processor with 256 ram. I was going to cut my losses and just buy 10 if anyone knows if it will run it.  Thx

Megatouchmike

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 07:04:32 am
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2017, 07:20:30 am »
I have an iTouch 10 key. If you want to buy it and send me your CF card, I'll install the software for you also

Aahzz

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2017, 09:35:02 am »
PM sent Mike

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2017, 07:23:06 pm »
I dont have a jp20 mobo but if it has a centronics cable (or had) its probably IDE (unless the jp20 has a proprietary connector) If there is a IDE connector you can probably use an IDE cd/dvd rom drive if you have one.

this would have been the next suggestion. you'd have to remove the computer and splay everything out and hook up a drive to the IDE directly.

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2017, 08:26:30 pm »

this would have been the next suggestion. you'd have to remove the computer and splay everything out and hook up a drive to the IDE directly.

Yeah if the jp20 is anything like the jp30, they are a female dog to get to the CF and i imagine to the actual IDE connector (if there is one?)

I wish the Megatouch's were as easy as the JVL Encore/Echo's to install. Connect a externally powered dvd drive and your on your merry way. Easy peazy.