Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Guy turns a vintage tv into an old-school console  (Read 645 times)

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Offline Offline
Guy turns a vintage tv into an old-school console
« on: May 11, 2017, 10:12:52 pm »
https://m.imgur.com/gallery/nIBqT

I threw this into this forum not for his use of Pi, or that threw a bunch of modern  tech into an old tv case...but because he molded acrylic around the original tube to put in front of his installed LCD. I thought this was a great homage and tasteful choice for maintaining the old look of a CRT.

If I ever build a project that uses an LCD I will definitely try to do the same. I wonder how this acrylic cover + some CRT shaders would look when emulating arcade games...

pbj

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
Re: Guy turns a vintage tv into an old-school console
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2017, 11:10:30 pm »
It's a neat project but had to laugh that he can do all that cool ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- yet was dumb founded by the power switch.

behrmr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2017, 01:03:15 pm »
Guy guts TV with a most likely good tube to put in emulation with a flat screen for games designed to be played on tube. One less tube in the world now.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2017, 01:32:41 pm »
Dude, he fished it out of the garbage.  Get over yourself.

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2017, 02:27:53 pm »
Guy guts TV with a most likely good tube to put in emulation with a flat screen for games designed to be played on tube. One less tube in the world now.
Yes, 'cause playing these games on a B&W tube is totally genuine to the old-school gaming experience.   ::)

My first TV when I was a kid was a Zenith B&W 14 inch that I hooked up my 2600 to, and even back then it sucked not having color.

Your complaint should be more towards using a Pi for this. With the space inside that case he could have easily fit a mini-itx PC and have a better emulation experience than the Pi.

lettuce

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Make It So!
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2017, 04:49:24 pm »
Yes, 'cause playing these games on a B&W tube is totally genuine to the old-school gaming experience.   ::)

My first TV when I was a kid was a Zenith B&W 14 inch that I hooked up my 2600 to, and even back then it sucked not having color.

Your complaint should be more towards using a Pi for this. With the space inside that case he could have easily fit a mini-itx PC and have a better emulation experience than the Pi.

Would cost a lot more that the 25 or so for the Pi though, but yeah would of been able to get better performance out of something like ones of those Intel NUC systems

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31