Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Guy turns a vintage tv into an old-school console  (Read 2364 times)

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 02, 2024, 07:42:30 pm
Guy turns a vintage tv into an old-school console
« on: May 11, 2017, 10:12:52 pm »
https://m.imgur.com/gallery/nIBqT

I threw this into this forum not for his use of Pi, or that threw a bunch of modern  tech into an old tv case...but because he molded acrylic around the original tube to put in front of his installed LCD. I thought this was a great homage and tasteful choice for maintaining the old look of a CRT.

If I ever build a project that uses an LCD I will definitely try to do the same. I wonder how this acrylic cover + some CRT shaders would look when emulating arcade games...

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:01:53 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
Re: Guy turns a vintage tv into an old-school console
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2017, 11:10:30 pm »
It's a neat project but had to laugh that he can do all that cool ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- yet was dumb founded by the power switch.

behrmr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2021, 09:17:13 am
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2017, 01:03:15 pm »
Guy guts TV with a most likely good tube to put in emulation with a flat screen for games designed to be played on tube. One less tube in the world now.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:01:53 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2017, 01:32:41 pm »
Dude, he fished it out of the garbage.  Get over yourself.

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 02, 2024, 07:42:30 pm
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2017, 02:27:53 pm »
Guy guts TV with a most likely good tube to put in emulation with a flat screen for games designed to be played on tube. One less tube in the world now.
Yes, 'cause playing these games on a B&W tube is totally genuine to the old-school gaming experience.   ::)

My first TV when I was a kid was a Zenith B&W 14 inch that I hooked up my 2600 to, and even back then it sucked not having color.

Your complaint should be more towards using a Pi for this. With the space inside that case he could have easily fit a mini-itx PC and have a better emulation experience than the Pi.

lettuce

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 31, 2021, 01:46:10 pm
  • Make It So!
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2017, 04:49:24 pm »
Yes, 'cause playing these games on a B&W tube is totally genuine to the old-school gaming experience.   ::)

My first TV when I was a kid was a Zenith B&W 14 inch that I hooked up my 2600 to, and even back then it sucked not having color.

Your complaint should be more towards using a Pi for this. With the space inside that case he could have easily fit a mini-itx PC and have a better emulation experience than the Pi.

Would cost a lot more that the £25 or so for the Pi though, but yeah would of been able to get better performance out of something like ones of those Intel NUC systems