Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Titebond III for part of monitor mount  (Read 2604 times)

jonbenderr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 01, 2023, 07:29:08 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Titebond III for part of monitor mount
« on: May 11, 2017, 12:38:06 pm »
Hi guys!

New to the forum and had a quick question.  Is Titebond III ok for any aspect of monitor mounting at all?

I came across an old asteroids cabinet that I am trying to rig with a 24" toshiba CRT tv.  I have the cabinet stripped down and the TV decased and it will fit.

What I was thinking I can do was titebond/glue some 1x4s to the inner sides of the cabinet, then cut/screw some wood corners to the tops and bottoms of the 1x4s for the tv mounting tabs to rest on and ultimately be bolted to.

Is titebond strong enough to support this?

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:48:34 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
Re: Titebond III for part of monitor mount
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2017, 01:17:52 pm »
gonna want some screws. you don't want just glue holding 100lbs in there. if there is any movement (and there will be...like when moving the cabinet.) the glue will fail.

about the only thing i'd trust with straight gluing something to something like in this type of scenario would be PL Premium.

morton

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 23, 2021, 09:36:59 am
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2017, 08:45:55 am »
I am planning my monitor mount now as well...

A proper glue joint is stronger than the wood its holding together, and the wood is most likely to split if anything breaks - not the glue joint. Look at every Gibson type guitar thats been decapitated, never a nice clean joint break. The screws you'll use are essentially there the help clamp the wood as the glue dries. I always thought that screws would do more if used, but then I got to talking to a cabinet maker friend who asserts that screws won't do as much as I think. The screws probably go 1/2" into the sides of the cab, and the first lil bit of that tip wont be biting into material. If terribly worried and want to use screws to reinforce the piece after the glue dries, I would consider using some small washers on the screws to add to their effectiveness and spread out the force, taking more to rip out the screws.

jonbenderr

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 01, 2023, 07:29:08 am
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2017, 12:01:29 pm »
Thanks for the replies guys!

Actually sorted out my own little solution.  Ended up using eye bolts with nuts and washers fastened to the ceiling of the cab.  Was able to reach through the speaker holes of the asteroids cab to tighten them up pretty nicely.  Then the ears of the crt tv lined up perfectly and used some heavy bolts/nuts to join them with the eyebolts.  Underneath the monitor is supported by a heavy duty shelf I made up and some construction grade screws stabilizing the bottom. 

Thing isn't going anywhere. 

Coming along nicely.  Will be posting pictures when it is all wrapped up.  Bout to dive into the computer and software portion of the project.