Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: LCD question  (Read 2324 times)

Erzak

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 23, 2021, 03:47:45 pm
  • First cabinet complete, now about that software...
LCD question
« on: May 16, 2017, 07:21:38 pm »
I am in the process of planning my first build.  I have an old PC running XP SP3 (2.8GHz Pentium D, 2 GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce 8600 GT) and an old 19" LCD monitor, an NEC LCD1970GX.  The monitor has a 5ms response time and a 5:4 aspect ratio.  I've played around with MAME using this monitor and I've been doing lots of reading about the pros and cons of LCD vs. CRTs, and am thinking that although this monitor still works, I'd probably be happier overall with a new(er) LCD, preferably with IPS?  I've seen mentioned in a couple of places the ASUS VS239H-P and VS238H-P, of which I believe the VS239H-P is an IPS monitor.  I'm assuming that the main difference between these two is IPS, and that will show up in the viewing angle?  Though the IPS model has a slower (5ms) response time compared to the non-IPS which has a 2ms response time.  I also have a ASUS VH238H that I use with my desktop setup, believe it has a 2ms response time, suppose I could use it in my cabinet and upgrade my desktop to something nicer, but is not IPS and I'm pretty happy with it.  Thoughts?

mourix

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:39:15 pm
Re: LCD question
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 08:01:01 am »
The LCD1970GX is an early (2005) LCD with very poor performance by even non-IPS standards. For 20 bucks you can get something like a (2010) HP LA1951G which will outperform it so much, the differences with a new screen will be very small. To compare, the HP has almost double the viewing angle (160 degrees), and a 30% higher contrast ratio (1000:1).

About the response time: remember that an average LCD TV nowadays has a minimum measured response time of about 20ms and people have been fine with those for years... If your screen is below 8ms, you are in the safe zone by a margin.

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:05:20 am
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 10:42:15 am »
you aren't really going to notice 3ms pixel switching difference.

4ms is the seek time of a high end server hard drive...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_disk_drive_performance_characteristics#SEEKTIME

besides... company's fudge switching times to appeal to the consumer. this number that is given is often the time it takes for a pixel to change from one shade of gray to another shade of gray... not a color to black, or black to color....something that can take considerably longer.

Erzak

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2017, 10:55:28 am »
The LCD1970GX is an early (2005) LCD with very poor performance by even non-IPS standards. For 20 bucks you can get something like a (2010) HP LA1951G which will outperform it so much, the differences with a new screen will be very small. To compare, the HP has almost double the viewing angle (160 degrees), and a 30% higher contrast ratio (1000:1).

About the response time: remember that an average LCD TV nowadays has a minimum measured response time of about 20ms and people have been fine with those for years... If your screen is below 8ms, you are in the safe zone by a margin.

Are there comparable models that are larger?  I'm guessing that non-widescreen LCDs topped out in the 21"-22" range or so. 

mourix

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2017, 12:30:46 pm »
20.1" screens are easily attainable but there are some rare ones pushing 21". The Dell 2007fp is pretty much the gold standard with a 20.1" S-PVA panel at 1600x1200.

Erzak

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2017, 01:49:06 pm »
20.1" screens are easily attainable but there are some rare ones pushing 21". The Dell 2007fp is pretty much the gold standard with a 20.1" S-PVA panel at 1600x1200.

So that Dell appears to be similar to the NEC that I currently have, in terms of contrast, and worse in response time.  So not sure why that would be much of an improvement, other than slightly larger screen size.  Looks like they are selling for ~$70-80.  Seems that buying a new widescreen 23" or 24" would cost ~$100, and provide considerably more screen real estate, with better performance overall.  I'm okay with it not looking authentic, so I expect that's what I'll do.

mourix

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2017, 02:31:37 pm »
Because it's a completely different type of panel with a much higher pixel density and viewing angles as good as a modern lcd's. Without stretching 20.1" 4:3 would also give a much bigger picture than 23" 16:9.

And finally, don't be scared to look around on craigslist a bit. This one example is not the only good cheap monitor.