Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: 4 player Pedestal using existing media center as base  (Read 21985 times)

Mike A

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:37:55 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
Re: 4 player Cabinet for games and media
« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2017, 02:53:20 am »
A pedestal nicely fits your requirements.

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 27, 2024, 12:46:35 am
  • Flap Flap Flap
Re: 4 player Cabinet for games and media
« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2017, 01:48:15 pm »
Initially, I was going to give away this old media cabinet that I picked up for free a couple of years ago. But now I'm looking at it with different eyes and thinking that maybe it could be a fine pedestal base. It's a little short, so I think I would need to add some two by four framing at the bottom, but it seems to be very sturdy and I think it's dimensions of 28" by 15.5" are big enough to give my planned four foot wide panel a solid foundation.

Also, it will save me money and time.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 01:58:47 pm by KenToad »

NIVO

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 08, 2022, 12:32:13 pm
  • danny_galaga is my mail man.
    • N.A.M.E. - arcade cabinet project
Re: 4 player Pedestal for games and media
« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2017, 09:47:33 pm »
im thinking......

#1 yank the glass
#2 yank the end black pieces
#3 get some black melamine panels and enclose the structure(or laminate your preferred choice of wood)
#4 use inner area for sub/speakers or use the very bottom chamber for sub/speakers with some speaker cloth covering for aesthetics

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #43 on: June 17, 2017, 12:25:41 am »
im thinking......

#1 yank the glass
#2 yank the end black pieces
#3 get some black melamine panels and enclose the structure(or laminate your preferred choice of wood)
#4 use inner area for sub/speakers or use the very bottom chamber for sub/speakers with some speaker cloth covering for aesthetics

Definitely planning to yank the glass. It's a pain already just with controller wires.

What do you mean by the end black pieces?

Good suggestion to enclose it, but my thought was to leave it open and store game consoles and controllers in the area behind the glass door. I may add another shelf, though.

Similar to above, I was thinking more of opening up the base section and maybe throwing my PS3 down there. I have a feeling that I may have to reinforce it structurally if I do that, though. As for speakers, I already ordered a sound bar that is nearly the width of the TV. Probably not the greatest sound, but I like that it can be easily mounted on the wall under or over the TV.

Thanks for the suggestions, NIVO.

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #44 on: June 17, 2017, 01:41:51 am »
I have a technical question regarding spinners and trackballs. If I get a pair of TurboTwist 2's from Groovy Game Gear and a Utrack Trackball from Ultimarc with the USB interface, should I make my TurboTwist 2 device interface number 2, assuming that I would like to use the Trackball as the primary mouse?

I'm thinking that maybe the computer will reassign the TT2 and the Utrack to different device numbers upon reboot. And that will cause problems with input assignments. Maybe none of this matters because both devices will be otherwise uniquely identified?

I suppose I should contact Andy and Randy, but I thought that I would ask here first. Thanks for any help.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:45:17 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #45 on: June 17, 2017, 02:25:52 am »
I have a technical question regarding spinners and trackballs. If I get a pair of TurboTwist 2's from Groovy Game Gear and a Utrack Trackball from Ultimarc with the USB interface, should I make my TurboTwist 2 device interface number 2, assuming that I would like to use the Trackball as the primary mouse?

I'm thinking that maybe the computer will reassign the TT2 and the Utrack to different device numbers upon reboot. And that will cause problems with input assignments. Maybe none of this matters because both devices will be otherwise uniquely identified?

I suppose I should contact Andy and Randy, but I thought that I would ask here first. Thanks for any help.
Device renumbering can only make a difference if multimouse is enabled.

If multimouse isn't enabled, Windows will add the inputs for each axis.

For example, if you accidently bumped the X-axis spinner 3 steps left while moving the trackball 7 steps right, Windows will move the X-axis cursor 4 steps right.

If the spinners and trackball are positioned in a way that using one control is not likely to accidently nudge the other, you don't need to enable multimouse.

Scott

NIVO

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 08, 2022, 12:32:13 pm
  • danny_galaga is my mail man.
    • N.A.M.E. - arcade cabinet project
« Reply #46 on: June 17, 2017, 11:16:48 am »
ok here is what i meant

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #47 on: June 17, 2017, 04:11:14 pm »
NIVO, I agree that that change would make it look better. It's not exactly a pretty cabinet. But, as I said, I'm going to be using the shelving, so I kind of like the open look, just for practical purposes.

Eventually, I might add a hard drive to the PS2 and letter bomb our wii, so that shelving on the side could be used for PS3 or whatever other more modern consoles I decide to shelve within this pedestal.

Thanks again for your input. I appreciate it.

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #48 on: June 17, 2017, 04:15:19 pm »

Device renumbering can only make a difference if multimouse is enabled.

If multimouse isn't enabled, Windows will add the inputs for each axis.

For example, if you accidently bumped the X-axis spinner 3 steps left while moving the trackball 7 steps right, Windows will move the X-axis cursor 4 steps right.

If the spinners and trackball are positioned in a way that using one control is not likely to accidently nudge the other, you don't need to enable multimouse.

Scott

Multimouse doesn't affect MAME or emulators, right? I'll still be able to map the trackball and spinners as individual devices, so that I can play games utilizing three spinners, such as Off the Wall, Ironman Stewart, Warlords and a plethora of PONG variants?

If so, it sounds like I should choose device number 1 for my pair of TT2 spinners.

Thanks for the help.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #49 on: June 17, 2017, 08:48:00 pm »
Multimouse doesn't affect MAME or emulators, right?
Multimouse is a MAME setting in mame.ini. (0=disabled, 1 = enabled)
# CORE INPUT OPTIONS
#
coin_lockout              1
ctrlr                     
mouse                     1
joystick                  1
lightgun                  0
multikeyboard             0
multimouse                1

I'll still be able to map the trackball and spinners as individual devices, so that I can play games utilizing three spinners, such as Off the Wall, Ironman Stewart, Warlords and a plethora of PONG variants?
If you plan on having 3 players at one time that means either 2 on spinners and one on trackball or a second set of spinners.

Either way you will need multimouse enabled to keep the axes separate.

Scott

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #50 on: June 17, 2017, 11:11:33 pm »
Okay, I see what you mean now. So do you think I should get my spinners and associated Opti-Wiz encoder as device 2 or device 1? Maybe it doesn't matter?

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #51 on: June 17, 2017, 11:49:14 pm »
So do you think I should get my spinners and associated Opti-Wiz encoder as device 2 or device 1? Maybe it doesn't matter?
It only matters if you plan on getting more than one Opti-Wiz.

Windows and MAME will see the OptiWiz as a different device than the Ultimarc optical encoder.

Scott

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #52 on: June 18, 2017, 12:39:00 am »
Awesome! Thanks so much, Scott.

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #53 on: June 18, 2017, 12:46:19 am »
So here is my WIP control panel. I haven't decided where exactly to place the spinners yet. I'm open to suggestions. I also haven't decided if I really want a 4-way joystick on the panel. The angled buttons between the 4-way and the trackball would be mouse buttons. I'm still not entirely sure if I want mouse buttons, but they seem like a good idea.

I should also acknowledge that I used Delusional's quad CP design as a starting point. And I like Slagcoin's button spacing, so I used that for all non-admin style buttons.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 12:51:52 am by KenToad »

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #54 on: June 20, 2017, 05:25:10 pm »
What about button labels? GGG has some graphic inserts, but I can't seem to find translucent buttons to fit them. I'm open to other suggestions. What's the best product on the market for labeling button functions?

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #55 on: June 20, 2017, 06:34:05 pm »
What about button labels? GGG has some graphic inserts, but I can't seem to find translucent buttons to fit them. I'm open to other suggestions. What's the best product on the market for labeling button functions?
For LED buttons with a removable cap like these, you can inkjet print your own inserts like the ones here or here on Avery 18665 (10 pack) or Avery 8665 (25 pack) media.

For normal buttons, SlammedNiss does vinyl decals here.

Scott
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 06:43:27 pm by PL1 »

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #56 on: June 20, 2017, 07:32:42 pm »
The LED buttons look nice. Where did you get those? NVM, I see that I must follow the links in your post. Thanks!

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #57 on: June 20, 2017, 08:03:08 pm »
One other hard-to-find option and an important note on yellow buttons.
I really like these  low-profile black-rimmed buttons (Rick is the only vendor I've found that stocks these  :cheers:) with inkjet printed inserts on Avery 18665 or 8665 labels.

The ring between the nut and bezel is removable.

There are many vendors that carry translucent-rimmed or "sawed-off volcano" LED buttons.

I usualy get 12v LEDs and power them with 5v -- not as bright and much longer lasting.  ;D
PROTIP: Get white LEDs for yellow buttons -- yellow LED + yellow diffuser = muddy orange. :puke

Scott

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #58 on: June 21, 2017, 02:37:03 pm »
Thanks again! I don't want lit controls, but I like having labeled translucent buttons for things like adding credits and exiting. I suppose I could label things on an overlay, but I'm not sure what, if any, graphics I'm going to have on there. In fact, I'm not even sure if I'm going to use an overlay. I'm using a decent piece of plywood as the top of the control panel. My wife likes the look of light, natural wood grain. I might just slap a few layers of poly on the top of the control panel and call it done.

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #59 on: June 21, 2017, 02:54:10 pm »
Another minor detail that I'm wrestling with is start buttons. I don't really like the usual method of putting players 3 and 4 on the outsides of the CP. I certainly see the practicality of it, since Player 1 and 2 will naturally use the middle 2 sticks for games that only allow 2 players. However, my experience is that people don't really look at whether they are pressing player 1 or 2. They just see that they're pressing a player start button. So my thought is that most people won't notice or understand that player 3 is the farthest to the left. And I'm pretty sure that I will want to remap the joysticks so that player 1's controls are the furthest to the left for most 3 and 4 player games.

Anyway, I'm thinking that I will just have player 1 buttons across the board as a sort of generic start button. Do any of you think that this might be a bad idea? I might be overthinking this.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #60 on: June 21, 2017, 04:57:06 pm »
I'm pretty sure that I will want to remap the joysticks so that player 1's controls are the furthest to the left for most 3 and 4 player games.
This idea has been well-received in several older threads.   ;D

my experience is that people don't really look at whether they are pressing player 1 or 2. They just see that they're pressing a player start button. So my thought is that most people won't notice or understand that player 3 is the farthest to the left.
Anyway, I'm thinking that I will just have player 1 buttons across the board as a sort of generic start button. Do any of you think that this might be a bad idea? I might be overthinking this.
"Player outline"-style buttons like the quarter+P2 pic above can make things confusing.

You can make it easier with generic labeling (i.e. "Start" instead of player outlines), color coding and button placement.

If the center-left player (P1) has red player buttons and a nearby translucent-red "Start" button next to a coin button, it is easier to think in terms of "Red Player buttons" instead of "P1 buttons".

Scott

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #61 on: June 22, 2017, 07:39:53 pm »
Progress, I extended the dimensions to 48 by 27-ish.

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #62 on: June 29, 2017, 12:43:24 pm »
I made my first ever order from Ultimarc. Andy Warner has lived up to his legendary customer service. Firstly, the shipping was incredibly fast. Ordered on the weekend. Got here to Wisconsin from England on Wednesday.

Unfortunately, somebody packed the order wrong and gave me an Ipac 2 instead of an Ipac 4 and no USB cable. I sent an email with a picture of the Ipac and invoice. Less than 12 hours later, probably just because of it being the middle of the night in England when I emailed, Andy emailed back, apologizing and saying that he would send out the Ipac 4. And I even had the invoice and shipping notification already in my inbox.

Wow! And I'm really impressed with the quality of the Ultralux buttons and the Utrak trackball.

Meanwhile, Randy at Groovy Game Gear has sent me an email clarifying one element of my order, to be 100% certain that he gets my order perfect.

We hobbyists really are lucky to have two fantastic and innovative retailers in Ultimarc and Groovy Game Gear.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:47:56 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #63 on: June 29, 2017, 12:59:17 pm »
Legendary customer service... yet sent you the wrong items....

:applaud:

I'm glad it worked out for you in the end.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:58:57 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #64 on: June 29, 2017, 01:34:26 pm »
Legendary customer service... yet sent you the wrong items....

:applaud:

I'm glad it worked out for you in the end.

Yes, legendary. He shipped out the order super fast, and when there was an issue, he didn't beat around the bush or disappear. Get over your dislike and deal with it.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #65 on: July 03, 2017, 12:52:29 am »
Progress.

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #66 on: July 06, 2017, 02:24:48 am »
I am struggling with final button and joystick placements. Also, the turbotwist 2 spinners are amazing. I got the black aluminum dome knobs, which are really nice. Additionally, I got the accu-twist setup, but I forgot it was there because there were no instructions about how to use it and it's really discreet. Maybe I'll never use it? Anyone who has one of these can confirm how much they use the accu-twist system? Unfortunately, I forgot to order the second energy storage cylinder for the second spinner.  :banghead:

For now, I'm going to install both spinners, one with the energy storage cylinder and one without. It's a bit stupid because I designed my CP depth around the weights. But I guess I'll get a chance to compare the performance of the spinners with and without the extra weight before I spring for another shipping fee.

What are people using the soften the closing of the CP lid? I've got two toy box style hinge supports and it helps, but I think I might need two or three more to really make the lid close more slowly and safely. Maybe someone knows a better solution?

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #67 on: July 07, 2017, 01:18:56 am »
Messing around with joystick layouts and realizing that the Smash TV joys aren't necessary. I can use an Xbox 360 controller with staggered twin sticks, so why not actual arcade controls.

It was just too tight of a fit for 4 players with 6 joysticks. Also, 4 joysticks will be more easily grokked by newbies.

I still haven't decided where to put my spinners.

also, my pinball button placement is not ideal under the wings of the CP top. Basically, you have no place to rest your palms. Now I see the benefit of the aircraft carrier design more clearly.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:47:56 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #68 on: July 07, 2017, 11:52:02 am »
You'll adjust to offset joysticks for Smash TV in about 5 seconds.  I play it with Player 1 & 3 joysticks on my pedestal.  I'd really advise against a dedicated setup for Smash TV unless you REALLY like that game.  (you don't)

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #69 on: July 07, 2017, 12:36:54 pm »
Thanks, PBJ! The part that I was hung up on was that player 1 and player 2 will have to have opposite offsetting. But, yeah, standing in front of it, I don't foresee any issues. Also, we're talking 2 games, probably beat both in an hour. They are some of my all time favorites. However, it would be silly to sacrifice the playability of dozens of other games just to make Smash/Total Carnage perfect.

I'm preparing to modify the shape of my CP top to an aircraft carrier. I just like visual pinball that much. It's probably the thing I play most often when I'm by myself (less now that I have a real pin).

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #70 on: July 20, 2017, 12:56:36 am »
Progress. A few hours later my wiring has turned into a rat's nest, despite my best intentions. I am blending my old wiring from my modular panels with wires from a jamma harness.

I have a PS2, an N64 and soon a PS3 on the shelves of the media center that now acts as the base of the pedestal. There is space in the bottom section of the media center for all my USB adapted original controllers. I will connect and store NES SNES and Genesis controllers down there.

The joys and trackball are blind mounted from the underside of the CP. What a pain! I drilled through the top of the CP twice. I will not blind mount again. I'll go with carriage bolts next time for that classic look and simplicity of installation.

The top of the control panel took 7 coats of poly to get smooth. I'll post a picture of the finished product hopefully soon, as I'm entering the final stretch of this project.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 01:20:47 am by KenToad »

Ian

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2021, 01:50:35 am
  • "A day without Laughter is a day wasted"
« Reply #71 on: July 20, 2017, 08:59:56 am »
I see some Riverwest stein! Good stuff!
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #72 on: July 20, 2017, 07:05:45 pm »
Okay, I'm feeling like an idiot. I'm using commandline Mame64 .177 and I cannot figure out how to get it to utilize the most screen real estate while maintaining aspect ratio. What am I missing? I'll paste in my ini.

#
# CORE CONFIGURATION OPTIONS
#
readconfig                1
writeconfig               0

#
# CORE SEARCH PATH OPTIONS
#
rompath                   roms
hashpath                  hash
samplepath                samples
artpath                   artwork
ctrlrpath                 ctrlr
inipath                   .;ini;ini/presets
fontpath                  .
cheatpath                 cheat
crosshairpath             crosshair
pluginspath               plugins
languagepath              language

#
# CORE OUTPUT DIRECTORY OPTIONS
#
cfg_directory             cfg
nvram_directory           nvram
input_directory           inp
state_directory           sta
snapshot_directory        snap
diff_directory            diff
comment_directory         comments

#
# CORE OUTPUT DIRECTORY OPTIONS
#
hiscore_directory         hi

#
# CORE STATE/PLAYBACK OPTIONS
#
state                     
autosave                  0
playback                 
record                   
record_timecode           0
exit_after_playback       0
mngwrite                 
aviwrite                 
wavwrite                 
snapname                  %g/%i
snapsize                  auto
snapview                  internal
snapbilinear              1
statename                 %g
burnin                    0

#
# CORE PERFORMANCE OPTIONS
#
autoframeskip             0
frameskip                 0
seconds_to_run            0
throttle                  1
sleep                     0
speed                     1.0
refreshspeed              0

#
# CORE RENDER OPTIONS
#
keepaspect                1
unevenstretch             0
unevenstretchx            0
unevenstretchy            0
autostretchxy             0
intoverscan               0
intscalex                 0
intscaley                 0

#
# CORE ROTATION OPTIONS
#
rotate                    1
ror                       0
rol                       0
autoror                   0
autorol                   0
flipx                     0
flipy                     0

#
# CORE ARTWORK OPTIONS
#
artwork_crop              0
use_backdrops             1
use_overlays              1
use_bezels                1
use_cpanels               1
use_marquees              1

#
# CORE SCREEN OPTIONS
#
brightness                1.0
contrast                  1.0
gamma                     1.0
pause_brightness          0.65
effect                    none

#
# CORE VECTOR OPTIONS
#
beam_width_min            1.0
beam_width_max            1.0
beam_intensity_weight     0
flicker                   0

#
# CORE SOUND OPTIONS
#
samplerate                48000
samples                   1
volume                    0

#
# CORE INPUT OPTIONS
#
coin_lockout              1
ctrlr                     xarcade
mouse                     1
joystick                  1
lightgun                  1
multikeyboard             0
multimouse                1
steadykey                 0
ui_active                 0
offscreen_reload          0
joystick_map              auto
joystick_deadzone         0.3
joystick_saturation       0.85
natural                   0
joystick_contradictory    0
coin_impulse              0

#
# CORE INPUT AUTOMATIC ENABLE OPTIONS
#
paddle_device             keyboard
adstick_device            lightgun
pedal_device              keyboard
dial_device               mouse
trackball_device          mouse
lightgun_device           lightgun
positional_device         mouse
mouse_device              mouse

#
# CORE DEBUGGING OPTIONS
#
verbose                   0
log                       0
oslog                     0
debug                     0
update_in_pause           0
debugscript               

#
# CORE COMM OPTIONS
#
comm_localhost            0.0.0.0
comm_localport            15112
comm_remotehost           127.0.0.1
comm_remoteport           15112

#
# CORE MISC OPTIONS
#
drc                       1
drc_use_c                 0
drc_log_uml               0
drc_log_native            0
bios                     
cheat                     0
skip_gameinfo             0
uifont                    default
ui                        cabinet
ramsize                   
confirm_quit              0
ui_mouse                  1
autoboot_command         
autoboot_delay            0
autoboot_script           
console                   0
plugins                   1
plugin                   
noplugin                 
language                  English

#
# CORE MKChamp OPTIONS
#
disable_hiscore_patch     0

#
# OSD KEYBOARD MAPPING OPTIONS
#
uimodekey                 SCRLOCK

#
# OSD FONT OPTIONS
#
uifontprovider            auto

#
# OSD OUTPUT OPTIONS
#
output                    auto

#
# OSD INPUT OPTIONS
#
keyboardprovider          auto
mouseprovider             auto
lightgunprovider          auto
joystickprovider          auto

#
# OSD DEBUGGING OPTIONS
#
debugger                  auto
debugger_font             auto
debugger_font_size        0
watchdog                  0

#
# OSD PERFORMANCE OPTIONS
#
numprocessors             auto
bench                     0

#
# OSD VIDEO OPTIONS
#
video                     auto
numscreens                1
window                    0
maximize                  1
waitvsync                 1
syncrefresh               0

#
# OSD PER-WINDOW VIDEO OPTIONS
#
screen                    auto
aspect                    auto
resolution                auto
view                      auto
screen0                   auto
aspect0                   auto
resolution0               auto
view0                     auto
screen1                   auto
aspect1                   auto
resolution1               auto
view1                     auto
screen2                   auto
aspect2                   auto
resolution2               auto
view2                     auto
screen3                   auto
aspect3                   auto
resolution3               auto
view3                     auto

#
# OSD FULL SCREEN OPTIONS
#
switchres                 0

#
# OSD ACCELERATED VIDEO OPTIONS
#
filter                    1
prescale                  1

#
# OpenGL-SPECIFIC OPTIONS
#
gl_forcepow2texture       0
gl_notexturerect          0
gl_vbo                    1
gl_pbo                    1
gl_glsl                   0
gl_glsl_filter            1
glsl_shader_mame0         none
glsl_shader_mame1         none
glsl_shader_mame2         none
glsl_shader_mame3         none
glsl_shader_mame4         none
glsl_shader_mame5         none
glsl_shader_mame6         none
glsl_shader_mame7         none
glsl_shader_mame8         none
glsl_shader_mame9         none
glsl_shader_screen0       none
glsl_shader_screen1       none
glsl_shader_screen2       none
glsl_shader_screen3       none
glsl_shader_screen4       none
glsl_shader_screen5       none
glsl_shader_screen6       none
glsl_shader_screen7       none
glsl_shader_screen8       none
glsl_shader_screen9       none

#
# OSD SOUND OPTIONS
#
sound                     auto
audio_latency             2

#
# BGFX POST-PROCESSING OPTIONS
#
bgfx_path                 bgfx
bgfx_backend              auto
bgfx_debug                0
bgfx_screen_chains        default
bgfx_shadow_mask          slot-mask.png
bgfx_avi_name             auto

#
# WINDOWS PERFORMANCE OPTIONS
#
priority                  0
profile                   0

#
# WINDOWS VIDEO OPTIONS
#
menu                      0

#
# DIRECT3D POST-PROCESSING OPTIONS
#
hlslpath                  hlsl
hlsl_enable               0
hlsl_oversampling         0
hlsl_write                auto
hlsl_snap_width           2048
hlsl_snap_height          1536
shadow_mask_tile_mode     0
shadow_mask_alpha         0.0
shadow_mask_texture       shadow-mask.png
shadow_mask_x_count       6
shadow_mask_y_count       4
shadow_mask_usize         0.1875
shadow_mask_vsize         0.25
shadow_mask_uoffset       0.0
shadow_mask_voffset       0.0
distortion                0.0
cubic_distortion          0.0
distort_corner            0.0
round_corner              0.0
smooth_border             0.0
reflection                0.0
vignetting                0.0
scanline_alpha            0.0
scanline_size             1.0
scanline_height           1.0
scanline_variation        1.0
scanline_bright_scale     1.0
scanline_bright_offset    0.0
scanline_jitter           0.0
hum_bar_alpha             0.0
defocus                   0.0,0.0
converge_x                0.0,0.0,0.0
converge_y                0.0,0.0,0.0
radial_converge_x         0.0,0.0,0.0
radial_converge_y         0.0,0.0,0.0
red_ratio                 1.0,0.0,0.0
grn_ratio                 0.0,1.0,0.0
blu_ratio                 0.0,0.0,1.0
saturation                1.0
offset                    0.0,0.0,0.0
scale                     1.0,1.0,1.0
power                     1.0,1.0,1.0
floor                     0.0,0.0,0.0
phosphor_life             0.0,0.0,0.0

#
# NTSC POST-PROCESSING OPTIONS
#
yiq_enable                0
yiq_jitter                0.0
yiq_cc                    3.57954545
yiq_a                     0.5
yiq_b                     0.5
yiq_o                     0.0
yiq_p                     1.0
yiq_n                     1.0
yiq_y                     6.0
yiq_i                     1.2
yiq_q                     0.6
yiq_scan_time             52.6
yiq_phase_count           2

#
# VECTOR POST-PROCESSING OPTIONS
#
vector_beam_smooth        0.0
vector_length_scale       0.5
vector_length_ratio       0.5

#
# BLOOM POST-PROCESSING OPTIONS
#
bloom_blend_mode          0
bloom_scale               0.0
bloom_overdrive           1.0,1.0,1.0
bloom_lvl0_weight         1.0
bloom_lvl1_weight         0.64
bloom_lvl2_weight         0.32
bloom_lvl3_weight         0.16
bloom_lvl4_weight         0.08
bloom_lvl5_weight         0.06
bloom_lvl6_weight         0.04
bloom_lvl7_weight         0.02
bloom_lvl8_weight         0.01

#
# FULL SCREEN OPTIONS
#
triplebuffer              0
full_screen_brightness    1.0
full_screen_contrast      1.0
full_screen_gamma         1.0

#
# INPUT DEVICE OPTIONS
#
global_inputs             0
dual_lightgun             1

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #73 on: July 20, 2017, 11:40:41 pm »
Okay, I figured out how to use my video card to set the output resolution to 1440x1080. That solves the issue of Hyperspin looking stretched. It also makes most emulators look correct and fill up the screen vertically. However, I still cannot figure out what settings in MAME will make the black bars on the top and bottom go away.

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #74 on: July 21, 2017, 12:08:18 am »
Pictorial example, notice how the game doesn't fill the screen vertically.

yamatetsu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:08:31 pm
  • Just because.
« Reply #75 on: July 21, 2017, 01:08:09 am »
Okay, I'm feeling like an idiot. I'm using commandline Mame64 .177 and I cannot figure out how to get it to utilize the most screen real estate while maintaining aspect ratio. What am I missing?

#
# CORE RENDER OPTIONS
#
keepaspect                1

You already are using the most screen real estate you are going to get while maintaining aspect ratio. Displaying 4:3 games on a 16:9 or 16:10 will always result in black bars at the border.
You can turn keeping the aspect ratio off if you set keepaspect to 0, this will give you a full screen, but it will be stretched either horizontally or vertically. Some games look ok doing that, most probably will not.

You might take a look at this thread, perhaps it will help you. http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,153387.msg1606912.html#msg1606912

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #76 on: July 21, 2017, 02:06:08 am »
I'll check out the thread and try changing the settings, but I should have been more clear that there are black bars both vertically and horizontally.

Thanks so much for the reply.

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #77 on: July 21, 2017, 02:10:52 am »
Even vertically oriented games are shrunken. It's almost like Mame is adding a blank bezel.

yamatetsu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:08:31 pm
  • Just because.
« Reply #78 on: July 21, 2017, 02:19:28 am »
It's almost like Mame is adding a blank bezel.

That may indeed be your problem. Try setting use_bezels to 0. Maybe even set everything in that section to 0 for good measure.

#
# CORE ARTWORK OPTIONS
#
artwork_crop              0
use_backdrops             1
use_overlays              1
use_bezels                1
use_cpanels               1
use_marquees              1

KenToad

• Offline Offline