Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: 4 player Pedestal for games and media  (Read 2290 times)

Mike A

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
Re: 4 player Cabinet for games and media
« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2017, 02:53:20 am »
A pedestal nicely fits your requirements.

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
Re: 4 player Cabinet for games and media
« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2017, 01:48:15 pm »
Initially, I was going to give away this old media cabinet that I picked up for free a couple of years ago. But now I'm looking at it with different eyes and thinking that maybe it could be a fine pedestal base. It's a little short, so I think I would need to add some two by four framing at the bottom, but it seems to be very sturdy and I think it's dimensions of 28" by 15.5" are big enough to give my planned four foot wide panel a solid foundation.

Also, it will save me money and time.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 01:58:47 pm by KenToad »
Just Say No to Partially Hydrogenated Oil  www.bantransfats.com

NIVO

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • danny_galaga is my mail man.
    • N.A.M.E. - arcade cabinet project
Re: 4 player Pedestal for games and media
« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2017, 09:47:33 pm »
im thinking......

#1 yank the glass
#2 yank the end black pieces
#3 get some black melamine panels and enclose the structure(or laminate your preferred choice of wood)
#4 use inner area for sub/speakers or use the very bottom chamber for sub/speakers with some speaker cloth covering for aesthetics

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #43 on: June 17, 2017, 12:25:41 am »
im thinking......

#1 yank the glass
#2 yank the end black pieces
#3 get some black melamine panels and enclose the structure(or laminate your preferred choice of wood)
#4 use inner area for sub/speakers or use the very bottom chamber for sub/speakers with some speaker cloth covering for aesthetics

Definitely planning to yank the glass. It's a pain already just with controller wires.

What do you mean by the end black pieces?

Good suggestion to enclose it, but my thought was to leave it open and store game consoles and controllers in the area behind the glass door. I may add another shelf, though.

Similar to above, I was thinking more of opening up the base section and maybe throwing my PS3 down there. I have a feeling that I may have to reinforce it structurally if I do that, though. As for speakers, I already ordered a sound bar that is nearly the width of the TV. Probably not the greatest sound, but I like that it can be easily mounted on the wall under or over the TV.

Thanks for the suggestions, NIVO.

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #44 on: June 17, 2017, 01:41:51 am »
I have a technical question regarding spinners and trackballs. If I get a pair of TurboTwist 2's from Groovy Game Gear and a Utrack Trackball from Ultimarc with the USB interface, should I make my TurboTwist 2 device interface number 2, assuming that I would like to use the Trackball as the primary mouse?

I'm thinking that maybe the computer will reassign the TT2 and the Utrack to different device numbers upon reboot. And that will cause problems with input assignments. Maybe none of this matters because both devices will be otherwise uniquely identified?

I suppose I should contact Andy and Randy, but I thought that I would ask here first. Thanks for any help.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • 2013 UCA Awardee
« Reply #45 on: June 17, 2017, 02:25:52 am »
I have a technical question regarding spinners and trackballs. If I get a pair of TurboTwist 2's from Groovy Game Gear and a Utrack Trackball from Ultimarc with the USB interface, should I make my TurboTwist 2 device interface number 2, assuming that I would like to use the Trackball as the primary mouse?

I'm thinking that maybe the computer will reassign the TT2 and the Utrack to different device numbers upon reboot. And that will cause problems with input assignments. Maybe none of this matters because both devices will be otherwise uniquely identified?

I suppose I should contact Andy and Randy, but I thought that I would ask here first. Thanks for any help.
Device renumbering can only make a difference if multimouse is enabled.

If multimouse isn't enabled, Windows will add the inputs for each axis.

For example, if you accidently bumped the X-axis spinner 3 steps left while moving the trackball 7 steps right, Windows will move the X-axis cursor 4 steps right.

If the spinners and trackball are positioned in a way that using one control is not likely to accidently nudge the other, you don't need to enable multimouse.

Scott

NIVO

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • danny_galaga is my mail man.
    • N.A.M.E. - arcade cabinet project
« Reply #46 on: June 17, 2017, 11:16:48 am »
ok here is what i meant

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #47 on: June 17, 2017, 04:11:14 pm »
NIVO, I agree that that change would make it look better. It's not exactly a pretty cabinet. But, as I said, I'm going to be using the shelving, so I kind of like the open look, just for practical purposes.

Eventually, I might add a hard drive to the PS2 and letter bomb our wii, so that shelving on the side could be used for PS3 or whatever other more modern consoles I decide to shelve within this pedestal.

Thanks again for your input. I appreciate it.

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #48 on: June 17, 2017, 04:15:19 pm »

Device renumbering can only make a difference if multimouse is enabled.

If multimouse isn't enabled, Windows will add the inputs for each axis.

For example, if you accidently bumped the X-axis spinner 3 steps left while moving the trackball 7 steps right, Windows will move the X-axis cursor 4 steps right.

If the spinners and trackball are positioned in a way that using one control is not likely to accidently nudge the other, you don't need to enable multimouse.

Scott

Multimouse doesn't affect MAME or emulators, right? I'll still be able to map the trackball and spinners as individual devices, so that I can play games utilizing three spinners, such as Off the Wall, Ironman Stewart, Warlords and a plethora of PONG variants?

If so, it sounds like I should choose device number 1 for my pair of TT2 spinners.

Thanks for the help.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • 2013 UCA Awardee
« Reply #49 on: June 17, 2017, 08:48:00 pm »
Multimouse doesn't affect MAME or emulators, right?
Multimouse is a MAME setting in mame.ini. (0=disabled, 1 = enabled)
# CORE INPUT OPTIONS
#
coin_lockout              1
ctrlr                     
mouse                     1
joystick                  1
lightgun                  0
multikeyboard             0
multimouse                1

I'll still be able to map the trackball and spinners as individual devices, so that I can play games utilizing three spinners, such as Off the Wall, Ironman Stewart, Warlords and a plethora of PONG variants?
If you plan on having 3 players at one time that means either 2 on spinners and one on trackball or a second set of spinners.

Either way you will need multimouse enabled to keep the axes separate.

Scott

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #50 on: June 17, 2017, 11:11:33 pm »
Okay, I see what you mean now. So do you think I should get my spinners and associated Opti-Wiz encoder as device 2 or device 1? Maybe it doesn't matter?

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • 2013 UCA Awardee
« Reply #51 on: June 17, 2017, 11:49:14 pm »
So do you think I should get my spinners and associated Opti-Wiz encoder as device 2 or device 1? Maybe it doesn't matter?
It only matters if you plan on getting more than one Opti-Wiz.

Windows and MAME will see the OptiWiz as a different device than the Ultimarc optical encoder.

Scott

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #52 on: June 18, 2017, 12:39:00 am »
Awesome! Thanks so much, Scott.

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #53 on: June 18, 2017, 12:46:19 am »
So here is my WIP control panel. I haven't decided where exactly to place the spinners yet. I'm open to suggestions. I also haven't decided if I really want a 4-way joystick on the panel. The angled buttons between the 4-way and the trackball would be mouse buttons. I'm still not entirely sure if I want mouse buttons, but they seem like a good idea.

I should also acknowledge that I used Delusional's quad CP design as a starting point. And I like Slagcoin's button spacing, so I used that for all non-admin style buttons.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 12:51:52 am by KenToad »

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #54 on: June 20, 2017, 05:25:10 pm »
What about button labels? GGG has some graphic inserts, but I can't seem to find translucent buttons to fit them. I'm open to other suggestions. What's the best product on the market for labeling button functions?

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • 2013 UCA Awardee
« Reply #55 on: June 20, 2017, 06:34:05 pm »
What about button labels? GGG has some graphic inserts, but I can't seem to find translucent buttons to fit them. I'm open to other suggestions. What's the best product on the market for labeling button functions?
For LED buttons with a removable cap like these, you can inkjet print your own inserts like the ones here or here on Avery 18665 (10 pack) or Avery 8665 (25 pack) media.

For normal buttons, SlammedNiss does vinyl decals here.

Scott
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 06:43:27 pm by PL1 »

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #56 on: June 20, 2017, 07:32:42 pm »
The LED buttons look nice. Where did you get those? NVM, I see that I must follow the links in your post. Thanks!

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • 2013 UCA Awardee
« Reply #57 on: June 20, 2017, 08:03:08 pm »
One other hard-to-find option and an important note on yellow buttons.
I really like these  low-profile black-rimmed buttons (Rick is the only vendor I've found that stocks these  :cheers:) with inkjet printed inserts on Avery 18665 or 8665 labels.

The ring between the nut and bezel is removable.

There are many vendors that carry translucent-rimmed or "sawed-off volcano" LED buttons.

I usualy get 12v LEDs and power them with 5v -- not as bright and much longer lasting.  ;D
PROTIP: Get white LEDs for yellow buttons -- yellow LED + yellow diffuser = muddy orange. :puke

Scott

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #58 on: June 21, 2017, 02:37:03 pm »
Thanks again! I don't want lit controls, but I like having labeled translucent buttons for things like adding credits and exiting. I suppose I could label things on an overlay, but I'm not sure what, if any, graphics I'm going to have on there. In fact, I'm not even sure if I'm going to use an overlay. I'm using a decent piece of plywood as the top of the control panel. My wife likes the look of light, natural wood grain. I might just slap a few layers of poly on the top of the control panel and call it done.

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #59 on: June 21, 2017, 02:54:10 pm »
Another minor detail that I'm wrestling with is start buttons. I don't really like the usual method of putting players 3 and 4 on the outsides of the CP. I certainly see the practicality of it, since Player 1 and 2 will naturally use the middle 2 sticks for games that only allow 2 players. However, my experience is that people don't really look at whether they are pressing player 1 or 2. They just see that they're pressing a player start button. So my thought is that most people won't notice or understand that player 3 is the farthest to the left. And I'm pretty sure that I will want to remap the joysticks so that player 1's controls are the furthest to the left for most 3 and 4 player games.

Anyway, I'm thinking that I will just have player 1 buttons across the board as a sort of generic start button. Do any of you think that this might be a bad idea? I might be overthinking this.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • 2013 UCA Awardee
« Reply #60 on: June 21, 2017, 04:57:06 pm »
I'm pretty sure that I will want to remap the joysticks so that player 1's controls are the furthest to the left for most 3 and 4 player games.
This idea has been well-received in several older threads.   ;D

my experience is that people don't really look at whether they are pressing player 1 or 2. They just see that they're pressing a player start button. So my thought is that most people won't notice or understand that player 3 is the farthest to the left.
Anyway, I'm thinking that I will just have player 1 buttons across the board as a sort of generic start button. Do any of you think that this might be a bad idea? I might be overthinking this.
"Player outline"-style buttons like the quarter+P2 pic above can make things confusing.

You can make it easier with generic labeling (i.e. "Start" instead of player outlines), color coding and button placement.

If the center-left player (P1) has red player buttons and a nearby translucent-red "Start" button next to a coin button, it is easier to think in terms of "Red Player buttons" instead of "P1 buttons".

Scott

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #61 on: Yesterday at 07:39:53 pm »
Progress, I extended the dimensions to 48 by 27-ish.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31