Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Poll

What default port assignments would you prefer for Mapper?

Set the ports to blank.  That will prompt users to either assign ports or load a mapping (.DAT) file.
1 (10%)
Make mapping (.DAT) files and pinout images for the Arduino boards.
0 (0%)
Both of the above.
5 (50%)
Leave the current defaults.
0 (0%)
Doesn't matter.  It's easy to load a .DAT file and/or reassign ports.
4 (40%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Author Topic: KADE miniArcade 2.0 beta release  (Read 58409 times)

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:12:01 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
Re: KADE miniArcade 2.0 beta release
« Reply #80 on: February 10, 2019, 10:35:53 pm »
Which of the two DFU bootloaders is correct for the Mattairtech board: the Atmel DFU, or the non-Atmel DFU?
The non-Atmel DFU is the better choice.

Either one will work, but the Atmel DFU bootloader requires a pullup resistor.  (See step 3 here.)

Scott

xefned

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 07, 2021, 01:28:30 pm
  • Unearthing ancient threads is my special skill.
    • Matthew's projects
« Reply #81 on: February 16, 2019, 01:35:12 pm »
Haha, thank you for clarifying!
I was just about to post something I found in another thread: "Scott PL1 says Atmel." for other people looking for an answer. But I will go NON-Atmel now, since I wouldn't know where to put that pullup resistor anyway.  THANK YOU!!

I bought 2 minimus boards for around $4 each a few years ago.  Built raspberry pi's and gave them away to friends.
 Last week I decided I could use a few more and discovered the word's supply of cheap minimus boards is now long gone.  Got research to do...  :blah:

Searching for Zwackery, not because it's rare, because it's fun.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #82 on: February 16, 2019, 04:46:04 pm »
I was just about to post something I found in another thread: "Scott PL1 says Atmel."
The next post after that is Bruno correcting my imperfect advice by pointing out that, "Non-atmel DFU bootloader is preferable over Atmel's.", immediately followed by me agreeing that non-Atmel DFU is the better option.    :lol

The OP of that thread was updated with that info several years ago.
- Over 5 years ago when Jon coded the KADESTICK firmware, he recommended getting the Atmel DFU firmware that requires a pullup resistor to keep the board from going into programming mode when power is applied.
- About 2 years ago when Bruno coded the miniArcade 2.0 loader program, he found a way to make it work with the non-Atmel DFU firmware that does not need a pullup resistor.

I bought 2 minimus boards for around $4 each a few years ago.  Built raspberry pi's and gave them away to friends.
 Last week I decided I could use a few more and discovered the word's supply of cheap minimus boards is now long gone.  Got research to do...  :blah:
From the OP of the "KADE-compatible AVR vendors reference list" thread mentioned above.
    miniArcade/microArcade
Keyboard, gamepad, and optical (spinner/trackball) firmwares available in KADE Loader.
atmega32u2 (or at90usb162)
. . .
Other vendors:
BYOAC member MaxRod has some for sale.  PM him for details.
It has been a few months since MaxRod logged in, but he's your best bet for getting Minimus AVRs.   :cheers:

Scott

xefned

• Offline Offline
    • Matthew's projects
« Reply #83 on: February 16, 2019, 09:16:52 pm »
I spent a giant chunk of my afternoon catching up on what you've all be working on over the last 6 years.  :applaud:

I'm only now fully appreciating how simple my experience was with the Minimus and the 1.0 version of KADE. It's since gone on to support several home console controllers and does worlds more than my highly simplistic original use: 1 Sanwa joystick and 3 buttons to play games in RetroPie. Truth is, that's still all I really care about, and if I'm real with myself, it was the joy of having an inexpensive and easy-to-setup joystick encoder that attracted me most to the project. Ordering a MattairTech board with shipping gets into the price territory of a Mini-Pac from Ultimarc or a KeyWiz40ECO from GGG which are preprogrammed. Overall, just feeling grateful that I got to participate in the KADE experience and build a couple game controllers for friends and relatives.  :cheers:

I see you and other contributors (Jimmer, Locke141, ed12) nearly got the Pro Micro / Leonardo to work. That would've been a breakthrough for a simple, non-proprietary arcade encoder. For now, I'll probably just hit up Andy for another Mini-PAC and get to wiring.

But there is a glimmer of hope for the future:
  1.) The Pro Micro seems to be built to be used as a HID. (Sparkfun 2012 "Intermediate" programming tutorial - way over my head.)
  2.) This guy, first-time poster gschade got a Leonardo working fairly easily.

All of this is way beyond me. I only know how to hook things up and solder.  :notworthy:

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #84 on: February 16, 2019, 11:17:31 pm »
I spent a giant chunk of my afternoon catching up on what you've all be working on over the last 6 years.  :applaud:
Thanks.  It has been a fun journey.   ;D

I'm only now fully appreciating how simple my experience was with the Minimus and the 1.0 version of KADE. It's since gone on to support several home console controllers and does worlds more than my highly simplistic original use: 1 Sanwa joystick and 3 buttons to play games in RetroPie. Truth is, that's still all I really care about, and if I'm real with myself, it was the joy of having an inexpensive and easy-to-setup joystick encoder that attracted me most to the project. Ordering a MattairTech board with shipping gets into the price territory of a Mini-Pac from Ultimarc or a KeyWiz40ECO from GGG which are preprogrammed. Overall, just feeling grateful that I got to participate in the KADE experience and build a couple game controllers for friends and relatives.  :cheers:
There is a bit more of a learning curve for v2.0, but a Sanwa joystick, three player buttons, and (two?) admin buttons setup is really easy to do.

You don't need the MattairTech board for those nine inputs.

A $5 Arduino Pro Micro from e-bay has plenty of inputs.   ;D

I see you and other contributors (Jimmer, Locke141, ed12) nearly got the Pro Micro / Leonardo to work.
There's no nearly about it -- miniArcade 2.0 works with the Pro Micro.

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,154126.msg1663852.html#msg1663852

See pages 13 and 14 of the KADE miniArcade 2.0 User Guide for detailed directions.

All of this is way beyond me. I only know how to hook things up and solder.  :notworthy:
Have you looked through the User Guide?

It details step-by-step how to do *everything*.

Scott
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 11:20:50 pm by PL1 »

xefned

• Offline Offline
    • Matthew's projects
« Reply #85 on: February 17, 2019, 12:29:14 pm »
There's no nearly about it -- miniArcade 2.0 works with the Pro Micro.

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,154126.msg1663852.html#msg1663852

See pages 13 and 14 of the KADE miniArcade 2.0 User Guide for detailed directions.

OMG - so excited!!! Simple KADE lives on!
I had hit upon a couple attempts that dead-ended around Feb. 2018, without seeing the success stories that happened after that. My brain was just getting frazzled.  :dizzy:

The instructions look quite do-able. I'll order a couple o' Pro Micros and use the AVRdude instructions in The Guide.

Thanks for setting me on the right track!  :cheers:

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #86 on: January 21, 2020, 07:56:57 am »
Finally got around to finishing the pinout images for Arduino Micro and Leonardo.   :embarassed:

Kill_one mentioned the Adafruit ItsyBitsy 32u4 5v 16MHz board here in JayBee's Lightgun thread.
- It looks like another great AVR option for the miniArcade 2.0 firmware.   ;D

https://www.adafruit.com/product/3677
https://www.amazon.com/Adafruit-ItsyBitsy-32u4-5V-16MHz/dp/B079SMYDRQ/

Scott

Zebra

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 19, 2021, 01:12:24 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #87 on: January 23, 2020, 09:11:29 am »
Does using an Arduino retain the ability to choose the output protocol to use it with consoles?

There are obviously tons of devices that allow the easy connection of analog, digital and optical controls but most only work on a PC. It would be great to have more options to use my real arcade controls on my PS3, Dreamcast, PS2 and Xbox.

It would be especially awesome if it was possible to output analog controls in PS3 Eye / PS Move format to use my positional guns on some of the ported shooting games that aren't well emulated anywhere else.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #88 on: January 23, 2020, 12:45:31 pm »
It would be great to have more options to use my real arcade controls on my PS3, Dreamcast, PS2 and Xbox.
Pages 1-2 of the User Guide confirm that those four consoles are supported.
Output systems and connection:
. . .
- Dreamcast (custom RJ-45 cable)
- PS1/PS2 (custom RJ-45 cable) -- this also allows you to connect to 3DO, Famicom, Famicom (clone), MegaDrive / Master System, Turbo Grafx 16, Xbox 360, and other consoles using commercially available adapter cables
- PS3 (USB cable)
. . .
- Xbox (USB cable + female USB to joystick port adapter cable)

Does using an Arduino retain the ability to choose the output protocol to use it with consoles?
The miniArcade 2.0 firmware auto-detects which console the board is connected to and switches protocol automatically.

Check the pinout image for the AVR board(s) you are considering and the RJ-45 adapter cable pinouts on User Guide page 7 since some Arduino boards don't have connection points for all needed "RJ-45" pins/ports. 

For example, the Pro Micro doesn't have a connection point for 32u4 pin 08 (port B0) that goes to RJ-45 adapter cable pin 5. 
- This pin is needed for both the PS2 and DC adapter cables.

The Micro has connections for all of the "RJ-45" pins/ports, so it will support PS2 and DC.   ;D

The MattairTech MT-DB-U4 and Teensy 2.0 boards also have connections for all of the "RJ-45" pins/ports.

It would be especially awesome if it was possible to output analog controls in PS3 Eye / PS Move format to use my positional guns on some of the ported shooting games that aren't well emulated anywhere else.
No idea if those formats are supported.   :dunno

That's a question for Bruno.

Scott

Zebra

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 19, 2021, 01:12:24 pm
« Reply #89 on: January 23, 2020, 02:16:37 pm »
The biggest question for me is if it allows you to output absolute controls instead of relative.

I can use my Titan One to connect my PC guns to a PS3 (via UHIDs or APACs) but when I try and play HOD4 I only get relative positioning which makes it impossible to aim.

If there was a way to get absolute positioning from analog sticks on games that only offered relative controls natively, it would open up cool possibilities. You'd be able to play Time Crisis 4 on the PS3 with real time crisis 4 arcade guns. You'd be able to play PS3 light gun and FPS games with a real light gun.

You'd also be able to use a TC4 or Sega arcade gun to play PS2 and Dreamcast light gun games on an HDTV with a gun that actually works properly.

It's probably possible via a custom script with my Titan One but that's way beyond my skills.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #90 on: January 23, 2020, 10:07:14 pm »
It would be great to have more options to use my real arcade controls on my PS3, Dreamcast, PS2 and Xbox.

E-mailed your inquiry to Bruno.

His reply:
For "real arcade controls" on several consoles the best bet would be the RetroPad32 plus the USB Input Module (for USB based arcade controls) and the output cables for the target consoles.

As for PSMove/Gun support, we are out of luck with any of my projects though. :-(

Cheers,

Bruno
There's info about the RetroPad32 on Bruno's site here.

Scott

tus376h

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 28, 2020, 05:38:52 pm
« Reply #91 on: January 24, 2020, 03:42:21 pm »

E-mailed your inquiry to Bruno.

His reply:
For "real arcade controls" on several consoles the best bet would be the RetroPad32 plus the USB Input Module (for USB based arcade controls) and the output cables for the target consoles.

As for PSMove/Gun support, we are out of luck with any of my projects though. :-(

Cheers,

Bruno
There's info about the RetroPad32 on Bruno's site here.

Scott
Is Bruno able to provide RJ45 pinout details for his RetroPad32? I'm looking to use my MC Cthulhu RJ45 cables with the RetroPad32 but want to make sure I don't start shorting things out due to an incorrect pinout. Here's a thread I created asking the community:

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,161829.0.html

Thanks.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #92 on: January 24, 2020, 04:51:03 pm »
Is Bruno able to provide RJ45 pinout details for his RetroPad32? I'm looking to use my MC Cthulhu RJ45 cables with the RetroPad32 but want to make sure I don't start shorting things out due to an incorrect pinout.
The miniArcade 2.0 RJ-45 adapter cable pinouts are on pages 6 and 7 of the User Guide.
- Connections on the console connector will be the same, but the RJ-45 connections may be in a different order.

I don't have any info regarding the RJ-45 adapter cable pinouts for miniConsole+ or RetroPad32.   :dunno

You mentioned in the other thread that you e-mailed Bruno yesterday.

Hopefully, he will agree to share those pinouts.   ;D

Scott

tus376h

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 28, 2020, 05:38:52 pm
« Reply #93 on: January 24, 2020, 10:33:44 pm »
Thank you for the input! I'm hoping for the same.  ;D

lilou

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2020, 01:16:13 pm
  • First arduino trial
« Reply #94 on: February 06, 2020, 04:55:03 pm »
Hello everybody,
i'm French and my english is not perfect, so sorry if i make mistake (i do my best).
In the past, i bought "KADE miniarcade" for my old arcade cabinet, and it was working perfectly.
Today i try to do the same thing with an arduino Pro micro.
So i read this topic, and all the PDF document.
After several trial, I have succeeded to write the arduino with avrdude. And it is recognized by the xbox like a gamepad PERFECT !
but no... because the buttons correspond to the basic software assignment not mine (exemple X is F5 but i asked X=D2)(other exmple : Left stick is on D3, but i don't assigned left stick on the mapper...).
I don't anderstand what go wrong
I put my own assignment on "kade miniarcade2.0 gamme mapper", i export to EEPROM.eep on the avrdude folder (i checked, the code inside eeprom file is different if i change assignment on mapper).
i execute the command "avrdude -p atmega32u4 -P COM12 -c avr109 -U flash:w:MINIARCADE2.hex –U eeprom:w:EEPROM.eep -C avrdude.conf" and i have a confirmation "flashed verified"
but each time ... my assigment is not respected always the same assigment "by default" on arduino.
 Somebody can help me ?!?
 :dunno

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #95 on: February 06, 2020, 11:07:48 pm »
the buttons correspond to the basic software assignment not mine (exemple X is F5 but i asked X=D2)(other exmple : Left stick is on D3, but i don't assigned left stick on the mapper...).
I don't anderstand what go wrong
I put my own assignment on "kade miniarcade2.0 gamme mapper", i export to EEPROM.eep on the avrdude folder (i checked, the code inside eeprom file is different if i change assignment on mapper).
1. Is there a reason you reassigned ports instead of using the defaults?

Seems easier to wire using the defaults than to change the ports.   :dunno

2. Since the buttons correspond to the defaults instead of your custom settings, you might be programming the board using the original EEPROM file.
If the EEPROM file is not loaded to the board, the HEX firmware reverts to the default joypad configuration.

After you exported the custom EEPROM, did you copy the new "EEPROM.eep" file from the "\firmwares\" folder to the avrdude folder? (User Guide, page 14, step 5)

3. When you reassigned ports, did you check that the same port wasn't assigned to more than one function? (User Guide, page 5, step 6)

4. Leaving an xBox function like Left Stick with the "Input As" port set to blank might cause problems for the firmware -- not sure if Bruno tested this possibility.   :dunno  (User Guide, page 5, step 6)

The defaults for Xbox have a port assigned to Button Mapping ID #s 0-5, 8-11, 13-17.

5. You may need to set Output Mode to "Force Xbox". (User Guide, page 4, step 4)

Scott
« Last Edit: February 06, 2020, 11:12:01 pm by PL1 »

lilou

• Offline Offline
  • First arduino trial
« Reply #96 on: February 07, 2020, 06:36:56 am »
1. Is there a reason you reassigned ports instead of using the defaults?
yes because arduino Pro micro do not have all buttons available. Only 12 output available, so i need to choose.

2. Since the buttons correspond to the defaults instead of your custom settings, you might be programming the board using the original EEPROM file
ok it's probably that

After you exported the custom EEPROM, did you copy the new "EEPROM.eep" file from the "\firmwares\" folder to the avrdude folder? (User Guide, page 14, step 5)
yes i did
3. When you reassigned ports, did you check that the same port wasn't assigned to more than one function? (User Guide, page 5, step 6)
yes i did, because i puted "blank" on unused buttons

4. Leaving an xBox function like Left Stick with the "Input As" port set to blank might cause problems for the firmware -- not sure if Bruno tested this possibility.   :dunno  (User Guide, page 5, step 6)

ok... this is a serious possibility in my case
5. You may need to set Output Mode to "Force Xbox". (User Guide, page 4, step 4)
i tried that but nothing change.

lilou

• Offline Offline
  • First arduino trial
« Reply #97 on: February 07, 2020, 07:03:16 am »
ok so, i try again.
I put the default setup, i juste flip A and B with Dpad up and down (no "blank" exept by default, and i check that the same port wasn't assigned to more than one function)
i flash the arduino and nothing change on xbox...

so do you see a mistake ? :

thank you
« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 07:06:23 am by lilou »

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #98 on: February 07, 2020, 10:00:43 am »
so do you see a mistake ?
The command line looks correct.   ;D

The flash programming (MINIARCADE2.hex) messages look good, but there are no messages in the image you posted indicating that EEPROM programming (EEPROM.eep) was even attempted.   :banghead:

1. When you ran that command did you get any other messages that aren't in the image?

2. Is there a copy of your custom "EEPROM.eep" in the "avrdude" folder where you typed in the command line?

3. Is the filename exactly "EEPROM.eep"?
- IIRC avrdude filenames are case sensitive so "EEPROM.EEP" or "eeprom.eep" won't work.

4. Does the creation date match the date you exported your custom file?
- "dir /p" for a directory listing with prompt so list doesn't scroll off the screen before you can read it.

5. If 1 is no and 2-4 are yes, your Pro Micro's bootloader or fuse settings might be the problem.   :dunno
- I don't remember seeing another Pro Micro knockoff that uses COM12.

Scott

lilou

• Offline Offline
  • First arduino trial
« Reply #99 on: February 07, 2020, 01:41:40 pm »
but there are no messages in the image you posted indicating that EEPROM programming (EEPROM.eep) was even attempted.   :banghead:
that's exactly what i noticed

1. When you ran that command did you get any other messages that aren't in the image?
nothing
2. Is there a copy of your custom "EEPROM.eep" in the "avrdude" folder where you typed in the command line?
3. Is the filename exactly "EEPROM.eep"?
- IIRC avrdude filenames are case sensitive so "EEPROM.EEP" or "eeprom.eep" won't work.
4. Does the creation date match the date you exported your custom file?
yes for all
- "dir /p" for a directory listing with prompt so list doesn't scroll off the screen before you can read it.

5. If 1 is no and 2-4 are yes, your Pro Micro's bootloader or fuse settings might be the problem.   :dunno
- I don't remember seeing another Pro Micro knockoff that uses COM12.
i don't know what it mean  :embarassed:

lilou

• Offline Offline
  • First arduino trial
« Reply #100 on: February 07, 2020, 02:34:29 pm »
i solved my problem  :laugh2: it's realy stupid !
I was used a copy-paste of the code from the PDF tutorial
Code: [Select]
avrdude -p atmega32u4 -P COM12 -c avr109 -U flash:w:MINIARCADE2.hex -U
eeprom:w:EEPROM.eep -C avrdude.conf

but the real code is :
Code: [Select]
avrdude -p atmega32u4 -P COM12 -c avr109 -U flash:w:MINIARCADE2.hex -U eeprom:w:EEPROM.eep -C avrdude.conf
one "ENTER" between and it dos not work correctly ! So, in only one line (not 2) the code works perfectly !
my eeprom is now upload !

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 04:23:31 pm by lilou »

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #101 on: February 07, 2020, 03:50:48 pm »
:applaud:

Glad you got it working.   ;D

Scott

lilou

• Offline Offline
  • First arduino trial
« Reply #102 on: February 07, 2020, 04:23:14 pm »
:applaud:
Glad you got it working.   ;D
Scott

Yes thank you, i am happy !

Do you know if is it possible to not use the RJ45 option, and add more button on the bord ? like the original "kade miniarcade" (and not miniconsole) ?
because with only 12 buttons is too short. I need 3 more  :lol

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #103 on: February 07, 2020, 08:51:34 pm »
Do you know if is it possible to not use the RJ45 option, and add more button on the bord ? like the original "kade miniarcade" (and not miniconsole) ?
because with only 12 buttons is too short. I need 3 more  :lol
I don't know if the Xbox protocol will handle more functions/buttons than the ones Bruno marked in the "Output As" column of the Mapper program.   :dunno
- The only functions not assigned a port by default are Right Trigger, Left Trigger, the analog stick inputs, and some multi-button combos.

Yes, you can re-map the RJ-45 ports if you do not plan to use them to connect to a GameCube, Nintendo64, Wii, WiiU, or NES Classic console (User Guide, page 7) or to another console through a Multi-Out board. (User Guide, page 6) 

Looks like these ports are available:
B1, B2, B3, D0, D1, D4, and F7

Scott

lilou

• Offline Offline
  • First arduino trial
« Reply #104 on: February 08, 2020, 06:51:46 am »
you are the best !

I'm excited ! it's very super cool !

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #105 on: February 08, 2020, 08:46:33 am »
Do the "combo" inputs (Button Mapping IDs 18-23) send a single button press to the Xbox or do those inputs send more than one button press to the Xbox?

For example, the Button Mapping ID 19 (port B2) "Output As" is labeled "Back + White".

Does grounding that input send one button press "Back + White" or does it send two button presses, one "Back" (Button Mapping ID 8 ) and one "White" (Button Mapping ID 4)?

Scott

lilou

• Offline Offline
  • First arduino trial
« Reply #106 on: February 08, 2020, 02:17:09 pm »
Do the "combo" inputs (Button Mapping IDs 18-23) send a single button press to the Xbox or do those inputs send more than one button press to the Xbox?
For example, the Button Mapping ID 19 (port B2) "Output As" is labeled "Back + White".
Does grounding that input send one button press "Back + White" or does it send two button presses, one "Back" (Button Mapping ID 8 ) and one "White" (Button Mapping ID 4)?
Scott
I'm not sure to understand your request (I don't speak English perfectly), but if you use the option "output as back+start" for exemple, when you use only this button , the xbox will received information "back is press" AND " start is press

does that answer the question?

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #107 on: February 08, 2020, 03:20:02 pm »
Scott
I'm not sure to understand your request (I don't speak English perfectly), but if you use the option "output as back+start" for exemple, when you use only this button , the xbox will received information "back is press" AND " start is press

does that answer the question?
Yes.  Thank you for confirming that grounding one "combo" input causes the board to output 2-4 button presses.

with only 12 buttons is too short. I need 3 more  :lol
I don't know if the Xbox protocol will handle more functions/buttons than the ones Bruno marked in the "Output As" column of the Mapper program.   :dunno
- The only functions not assigned a port by default are Right Trigger, Left Trigger, the analog stick inputs, and some multi-button combos.
Did you find a way to add the three more buttons?

If you did, which functions/Button Mapping ID numbers did you use for them?

Scott

lilou

• Offline Offline
  • First arduino trial
« Reply #108 on: February 08, 2020, 06:25:06 pm »
Did you find a way to add the three more buttons?
If you did, which functions/Button Mapping ID numbers did you use for them?

i was searching how to use B1/B2/B3/D0/D1 ports who was not available on the "mapper" due to "Rj45" functions
So i found this option, and now i can use it like other one :)  :

So now, i have almost alls ports available on my arduino pro micro :)
(i just have to test "shift" function, I haven't tested yet)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2020, 06:28:11 pm by lilou »

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #109 on: February 08, 2020, 08:46:01 pm »
I'm not asking how to enable the RJ-45 ports.   :banghead:

I'm asking which Button Mapping ID numbers you used for the three more buttons you said you needed.
with only 12 buttons is too short. I need 3 more  :lol

Here are the Button Mapping ID numbers and the assigned functions for Xbox:
- 0-5, 8, and 9 are the usual Xbox buttons. (8 buttons)

- 13-16 are the D-pad, which acts like 4 buttons. (4 buttons)

- 32 and 33 are left/right trigger. (2 buttons?)

- 10 and 11 are left/right thumbstick button press? (2 buttons?)

- 24-31 are used for analog thumbstick inputs. (probably not usable as buttons)

- 6, 7, 12, and 34-46 have no function assigned. (probably not usable as buttons)

- 17-23 are "combos" of other buttons. (no new buttons here)

Seems like the place to find your three more buttons is 10, 11, 32, and/or 33, right?

Scott

lilou

• Offline Offline
  • First arduino trial
« Reply #110 on: February 09, 2020, 04:34:33 am »
 :lol sorry,

first it was : ID 0-5 + 8-9 + 13-16 (=12 buttons)
i was needed in addition : ID 17+32+33

and finally i add : 17+32+33 and 18+10 (=17buttons)

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #111 on: February 09, 2020, 09:58:10 am »
Thanks, lilou.   :cheers:

Hopefully this info will help the next person who wants to use a Pro Micro on their Xbox.   ;D

Scott

chermans72

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 08, 2023, 11:17:25 am
« Reply #112 on: March 10, 2020, 07:25:26 am »
(Posted at Bruno's request.)

The KADE Team is proud to announce the beta release of the miniArcade 2.0 Mapper program and PCB fabrication files.

Windows:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6zru_SYfdYbWlBtN184UVJSc00

Mac:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6zru_SYfdYbRFhYTXgzcEZFUVE

Ubuntu 64-bit:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6zru_SYfdYbN000X2pvbXpWdzA

THOSE LINKS seem to be dead-ends ... Can you provide new source or link to me ??

Is miniArcade 2.0 Open Source?
KADE miniArcade 2.0 Mapper application, KADE miniArcade 2.0 daughterboard and KADE Multi-Out PCB gerber files are offered as-is at no cost (freeware) but they are not open-source nor open-hardware.

What does Mapper do?
It allows you to program a 32u4 AVR to work with a variety of arcade-style controls.

What AVR and bootloader do I need?
MiniArcade 2.0 is designed to work with a wide variety of boards.

Any 32u4 AVR with DFU (FLIP) bootloader + 16Mhz crystal like the MattairTech MT-DB-U4 will work automatically with Mapper.
("Atmel DFU bootloader" will work too, but requires a pullup resistor on E2/B)

The MT-DB-U4 is a perfect pin-for-pin match for the miniArcade 2.0 daughterboard.

To use 32u4 AVRs with other bootloaders, you need to be able to be able to upload a firmware hex file and an EEPROM hex file to the board. (currently working on procedures for Arduino and Teensy 2.0 boards)

How many input ports are available?
Mapper has 47 available Button Mapping IDs. (0-46)
The Button Mapping ID "Input As" indicates which of the 24 Normal input ports or 23 Shifted input ports (Shift + B7 is reserved for Shift Lock) will trigger the related output.

What controls work with miniArcade 2.0?
Digital (microswitch)
  - Joystick
  - Pushbutton
  - Pedal
  - Mechanical rotary (Ikari Warriors) joystick
Analog (potentiometer)
  - Joystick
  - Star Wars yoke
  - 270 degree steering wheel
  - Pedal
  - Pong/Warlords paddle

What systems does it connect to?
- Generic USB/HID Joypad (USB cable)
- Generic USB/HID Keyboard (USB cable)
- NES/SNES (KADE Multi-Out expansion board)
- Genesis (KADE Multi-Out expansion board) -- 3-button stick (original or second gen. console)
- MSX (KADE Multi-Out expansion board) -- autodetect only (for now)
- Neo Geo AES (KADE Multi-Out expansion board)
- GameCube/Nintendo64 (custom RJ-45 cable)
- PS1/PS2 (custom RJ-45 cable) -- this also allows you to connect to 3DO, Dreamcast, Famicom, Famicom (clone), MegaDrive / Master System, Saturn, Turbo Grafx 16, Xbox 360, and other consoles using commercially available adapter cables
- PS3 (USB cable)
- Wii/WiiU/NES Classic (custom RJ-45 cable)
- WiiU (USB cable)
- Xbox (USB cable + female USB to joystick port adapter cable)

Where can I get the miniArcade 2.0 daughterboard and KADE Multi-Out expansion board?
The distro packages at the top of this post have the PCB fabrication (gerber) files in the "\docs\gerbers\" folder.

The User Guide in "\docs\" has links to PCB fabrication houses and the necessary components.

You're free to make boards using the PCB gerber files provided and sell those PCBs if you wish.

One of the fabrication houses has a "10 boards for 10 bucks" deal.

If you don't want to bother with fabricating the daughterboard, you can use header pins or solder wires directly to your AVR board.

If you don't want to bother with fabricating the multi-out board, you can build the circuit on a prototype board or solderless breadboard. (use the gerber files to determine the necessary connections)

Update:
Quote from: bootsector
Just saw that seeedstudio.com has a 10 PCBs for $5 deal now!

Update2: Added picture of assembled miniArcade 2.0.

Scott

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #113 on: March 10, 2020, 11:18:36 am »
The KADE Team is proud to announce the beta release of the miniArcade 2.0 Mapper program and PCB fabrication files.

Windows:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6zru_SYfdYbWlBtN184UVJSc00

Mac:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6zru_SYfdYbRFhYTXgzcEZFUVE

Ubuntu 64-bit:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6zru_SYfdYbN000X2pvbXpWdzA
THOSE LINKS seem to be dead-ends ... Can you provide new source or link to me ??
Thanks for mentioning that the links in the OP are down.

I've e-mailed Bruno about it and hope to have a reply soon.

Scott

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #114 on: March 10, 2020, 12:59:38 pm »
Here's what happened.

Quote from: Bruno
Those links were updated recently since Google decided to account for file revisions, so I had to remove everything and re-upload the individual files.

OP updated with a link to the Google Drive folder that has the Windows, Mac, and Ubuntu 64-bit download packages.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B6zru_SYfdYbWXZMLUNUQUpwbTQ

Scott
« Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 01:01:23 pm by PL1 »

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #115 on: April 25, 2020, 12:25:47 am »
Here's a pre-configured .dat file and wiring diagram for connecting a SW Yoke to a Pro Micro.

Zipped .dat file
- Customize it as desired in Mapper and generate an EEPROM file.
- Use AVRDUDE to program the EEPROM and HEX firmware to the Pro Micro. (see pgs 13-14 of the User Guide)

Star Wars harness pinout (Thanks to Ninten-doh for the original image and to Gray_Area for clarifying the wording)

There's a tutorial here showing how to connect a SW Yoke to the old KADESTICK interface.
- Lots of useful info and links there.

Scott

mrchrister

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 23, 2024, 09:04:11 am
« Reply #116 on: April 27, 2020, 01:13:48 pm »
Very excited to get my Nano Pro and try out this project. I'm glad I ordered three of them ;)

I'm planning on wiring up a Playchoice 10 control panel which has a total of 17 buttons:
5 buttons for option selection (ch select, enter, game select, start and reset)
2x joysticks (4 inputs each) and 2 buttons each

I downloaded the mapper tool and imported 'MAME_P1+P2.dat'

If I understand this right, I can solder directly to the Nano Pro without needing the breakout board. I can then enable the RJ45 inputs to get additional ports to wire up my 17 inputs.
Two questions I have would be:

In the 'output as' section of mapper.exe, I still see that there is only one d-pad being emulated. Does this matter or is there another layout for 2 player joysticks?
Is there a difference in input lag or Rollover Count when you compare Keyboard vs Joypad emulation?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 01:18:30 pm by mrchrister »

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #117 on: April 27, 2020, 03:37:56 pm »
I downloaded the mapper tool and imported 'MAME_P1+P2.dat'

If I understand this right, I can solder directly to the Nano Pro without needing the breakout board. I can then enable the RJ45 inputs to get additional ports to wire up my 17 inputs.
Two questions I have would be:

In the 'output as' section of mapper.exe, I still see that there is only one d-pad being emulated. Does this matter or is there another layout for 2 player joysticks?
I regret to inform you that the Arduino Pro Nano uses a 328P processor, not a 32u4 processor -- 328P boards won't work with this firmware.

AFAIK the most common and inexpensive 32u4 board available is the Arduino Pro Micro which has 17 available input ports -- exactly the number of inputs that you need.   ;D

You are right about not needing the daughterboard.
- You can solder the wire from the button directly to the 32u4 board input or use pin headers on the board and female Dupont pins on the wires if you prefer.

The MAME_P1+P2.dat file was designed for use as a keyboard encoder.
- IIRC if you change "Output Mode" from "Force Keyboard" to "Auto Detect", the computer will see it as a single USB/HID Joypad. (default)

One quirk about the Mapper program is that the "Output System" defaults to "Generic USB/HID Joypad" when you load a .dat file or change something using the "Config" icon.
- If you change the "Output System" to "Generic USB/HID Keyboard", you'll see the MAME P1 and P2 defaults that you can modify to suit your needs.

Since some input ports are not available on the Pro Micro and you'll need to remap some of the ports and keystrokes anyways, you may want to start from Blank.dat and assign the ports and keystrokes to the Button Mapping IDs in the order you want.
- When you get everything configured properly, use the "Export" icon to save your setup as a custom .dat file.

Is there a difference in input lag or Rollover Count when you compare Keyboard vs Joypad emulation?
None that I am aware of.

Scott

UnoWho

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 21, 2024, 06:36:01 pm
« Reply #118 on: April 27, 2020, 09:06:37 pm »
I got given two original Kades off a mate.

Are these encoders still supported and is there a website that doesn't ask me to install malware before going to it?

Also can I connect a trackball and spinner to them?

Thanks

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #119 on: April 27, 2020, 10:34:38 pm »
I got given two original Kades off a mate.
Those old Minimus boards and the Loader program are great.   ;D

Are these encoders still supported and is there a website that doesn't ask me to install malware before going to it?
The official KADE site is now at http://www.kadevice.tk. (It was .com, then .net, and now it's .tk.  ::) )
- If it changes domain again, I'll update the URL in the KADE-compatible AVR vendors list thread linked in my sig.

It's not what you'd call an active site, but all of the old pages/threads/posts are still available.
- Pretty sure that the new account signup process got broken when Bruno moved the site to the new domain or updated the forum software.
- Your best bet to get questions answered is to ask here on BYOAC.

Download the Loader program at http://www.kadevice.tk/loader/setup.zip.

You can find the quickstart guide at http://www.kadevice.tk/kade-miniarcade/quickstart-guide/index.html.

Also can I connect a trackball and spinner to them?
You can connect a trackball for use with the XBox firmware or a trackball and spinner for use with the two trackball-specific firmwares, BUT I would advise against it due to major problems with backspin if you're using medium to high resolution encoder wheels.

Optical controls are the one thing that KADE encoders attempted, but didn't do well.   :embarassed:

You'd be far better off using an Opti-Wiz 3 from GGG or StefanBurger's Illuminated Spinner firmware (Firmware .hex file here on Thingiverse) on a Pro Micro.

Scott