Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: TS-BSP-02 inconsistency / Egret II spinner MAME sensitivity?  (Read 447 times)

Unessential

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 02, 2024, 12:53:22 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
TS-BSP-02 inconsistency / Egret II spinner MAME sensitivity?
« on: December 19, 2023, 01:07:21 pm »
I see some other threads from years ago about spinners, but I don't know whether it's better to make a new post or revive the old one.  Different communities seem to have differing opinions on reviving old threads...  I can't keep track of it all...

I've been using a mini egret II spinner on a MiSTer and a Egret II Mini lately. It's fine on the mister (and it's designed for the Egret II mini so that obviously works).  But I discovered that the old school arcade free spinning wheels were just spinners. So I purchased a TS-BSP-02 and played Super Sprint on MAME (doesn't seem to be a MiSTer core for it),..  The thing is, I feel like it's inconsistent, If i spin the spinner slowly, mame/the games/windows recognizes it as going a further distance compared to if I spin it quickly.  From what I can tell from my arguably limited time at funspot playing arkanoid, that's not how it behaves on the original cabinet?  It also doesn't seem to behave that way when I use the Egret II Mini on the MiSTer or Egret Mini.

The thing is, when I decide to try to compare the two in windows (so I can rely on data / measurements rather than "feel")  Yes, the Thunderstick spinner behaves inconsistently based on speed of rotation as I described but, the Egret Mini is mapped to the mouse wheel I can't really compare it with the cursor movement like I can with the Thunderstick, and in MAME (I JUST downloaded it for the purpose of testing/using the spinners so, v 0.261) , the Egret spinner is WAAY too sensitive, even after I turn the dial sensitivity setting down to 1.  (Circling the game screen SEVERAL times per rotation rather than 5 segments).   It's hard to tell what's happening because it's going so fast (both in game and the mame "dial bars" in settings

Is there a way to set MAME sensitivity to something lower than 1 so my Egret II spinner is actually usable in MAME?
Or maybe the other way around, is there a game where there's a MiSTer core that has something like tempest where there are discrete in game "units" i can use to measure?

Is how the thunderstick spinner behaviour I'm describing what's expected from a stock spinner?
(Repeating for TL; DR,  The distance the game registers for the same amount of rotation differs depending on how fast I spin it, eg on tempest if i spin it slow it will move 5 segments per rotation, but if i spin it fast it will only go 2 or 3)

Also, In windows I have "Enhance pointer precision" OFF, but when I turn it on, it seems to overcompensate the other way around, if i move fast it goes further than if i spin it slow.

Can anyone give some help/insight? either with getting the mini spinner usable, or the behaviour of stock spinners compared to what I'm describing on the thunderstick? 
« Last Edit: December 19, 2023, 05:00:50 pm by Unessential »