Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Making a stand...  (Read 2058 times)

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:41:53 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
Making a stand...
« on: April 27, 2017, 03:13:35 pm »
As some of you may or may not know, Touchtunes now only sells wall mounted jukeboxes. This is a bit of a pickle because some places, you just can't wall mount a jukebox. Touchtunes USED to sell a stand you could mount the Virtuo to, but for some godforsaken reason, discontinued the stand. A company decided to make up a stand and sell them, but if you've ever seen one in real life, you'd never spend the $1500 plus shipping they want for it. So I decided to try my hand at making my own and cue a solid week of building.

Obligatory finished picture first....

Introducing the BEHEMOTH!

As you can see, the only area for a jukebox was a pony wall in the middle of the bar. Any wall space is consumed with booths. (Why you want booths in a bar is beyond me, but I digress.) I wasn't a real fan of mounting speakers on the sides, but if the boss wants it, he gets it. The sound from them is pretty decent, so i'm not to bummed about them. Would just rather gone with maybe a 301 or something.

The behemoth started out as a simple 2x6 frame to give it strength and some rigidity. We will be building a subwoofer into the base and we don't want any flexing. Extra wood was placed where the bracket for the juke will be attached so we have a strong mount. Lots of PL Premium construction adhesive... lots of screws.

Some black melamine 3/4" was applied to the sides. I cut a template out of MDF and used a router to cut out the sides so they where identical. Should we need to build another, it will be easy with the template. More screws, more PL Premium.

had some issues with the angle of my cut on the one piece so I ended up sanding a round profile on the edge, filling and painting the 2 parts. No big deal, I have a good paint that matches the melamine in both color and texture. You can't even tell.

I had 2 cheap sony xplod 10 inch woofers gathering dust in my basement. I measured and plunked the box area and woofer parameters into WinISD and tuned the box port to get good gain. Ended up with it being tuned to 37.19hz with just over 5dB of gain and a really smooth response curve tapered down to 0dB @ 100hz. Couldn't have been more perfect. Tests showed that the company in the bay next to us does not like bass even though we are separated by a cinderblock wall, They even came over and complained. (oops  :laugh:) Tests also showed the company 2 bays down in the opposite direction DOES. (2 block walls and ~50 feet) I'd say that's a success. THE POWER OF COMPUTING!

Here it is almost finished (before the speakers where attached) and the front 2 pieces painted. We had a metal shop weld up a aluminum checkerplate to help additionally stabilize the unit. we don't want no drunkards tipping it over.

ed12

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2018, 03:44:39 pm
  • it is what it is..."Nobody Said It Was Easy"....
Re: Making a stand...
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2017, 03:46:05 pm »
not bad
i will remeber this for our touch junk

ed
Shipping something from the U.S. to Canada for repair/exchange?  Please use USPS to avoid (additional?/excessive?) shipping charges.  PM me if you have any questions.