Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Moving after 16 years..  (Read 8013 times)

dkersten

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 12, 2024, 11:47:30 am
  • If you are gonna do it, do it right..
Moving after 16 years..
« on: April 24, 2017, 05:48:09 pm »
For several weeks I have been packing a little at a time in preparation for moving out of the house I lived in for 16 years.  This weekend it really dawned on me how many thousands of hours it took me to make the house the way I wanted it.  Sunday I pulled apart one small part of my shop - the dust collection system.  It wasn't all that complicated really, about 7 blast gates that remotely turned on the dust collection unit, two main 4" feeds going from the garage into the shed where the unit was located, and a cyclone separator before the main unit.  But in the ~3 hours it took to tear down and pack up, I realized that this one project took me at least 15 hours of work to set up, and that is after reworking the layout at least two times.  There are literally dozens of small projects like that throughout the house that I did over the years, and those are just the small projects that make a house into a home.  The big projects, where walls came down, floors came up, or roofs came off, those things I feel I am being paid back on from the sale of the house, but those little things, they are hitting me hard.

And that is not to mention all the things I built in that garage.  3 arcade cabinets, an entire set of kitchen cabinets, dozens of small pieces of furniture, and the list goes on and on. 

The reason this struck me so hard is partly because all that time spent doing things over the years to really make my house something I loved is going to be gone with the stroke of a pen, but also because it is dawning on me just how long it will take (and how much hard work) to get my new house to this point.  And that is between work, the holidays (new house wont be done until T-day), and the building of my new home theater, which will be an insanely big project in itself.  And I can't do much of anything before I have the new shop set up.  When I look back at all the hours I spent just setting up the shop to do all those projects, I can't help but wonder if I will even get started on making my new house a home before next summer...

10 more days in my home and then I get to live in an apartment for the next 7-8 months... O.o
You ever feel like you just inadvertently pried apart your own life?

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 04:21:02 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
Re: Moving after 16 years..
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2017, 05:54:50 pm »
Hang in there man. Embrace the changes. I know from experience how devastating major life changes can be.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 12:41:11 am
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2017, 07:05:21 pm »
Why did you sell?
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

dkersten

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2017, 07:07:10 pm »
Thanks Mike!

I am excited for all the changes, just a little in awe at how much will change.  It really hit me this weekend tearing down my work shop. 

Any way, I figured that since a lot of people here are the "DIY" type, I figured they could relate to something like this.  The amount of work I did on my house over the years was staggering.  I never saw it that way, and I always figured that since I did it once, I could do it all over again anywhere.  I can, but it isn't going to be over a weekend or two, it will likely take years again.  Regardless of how ghetto or how high end your workspaces are, I bet there is a lot of little efforts that combined over the years to make them truly your own.  But until you go and tear it all down to move it (or just to prepare to sell it all), you probably won't realize how much you really put into it.

The new buyer came by Friday so I could show him all the little things about the house, and to show him the theater room that he is buying as well.  We have a lot in common, and I honestly don't think I could sell my house to someone who would appreciate it more than this guy.  I suppose there is some solace in that.  He also wanted to buy my mame cab, but after buying all my theater equipment and furniture, he figured his girlfriend would kill him if he sprung for another expensive toy.  If he handed me the cash, I would take it though.  I can always build another, right?

dkersten

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2017, 07:21:28 pm »
Why did you sell?
Everything, or at least that is how it feels, lol.

Sold my house.  Sold my 15" 3hp planer.  Sold my scroll saw and 6"/9" belt/disc sander (both big iron machines).  Sold my kegerator, extra lawnmowers, and gave away a few truckloads of odds and ends out of my garage and shed.  And to the new owner of the house, I sold the theater electronics, the theater furniture, the refrigerator, and of course, the rest of the house with everything I built there, including the deck, gas fire pit, shed, fence, game room, bathrooms, bedrooms, kitchen cabinets, and on and on...  Too many renovations and improvements to count.

Oh, and the family business too, lol.  Sold that.  Got a full bank account and haven't been this poor in 20 years...  :dizzy:

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2017, 07:24:11 pm »
Why did you sell?
Everything, or at least that is how it feels, lol.

Sold my house.  Sold my 15" 3hp planer.  Sold my scroll saw and 6"/9" belt/disc sander (both big iron machines).  Sold my kegerator, extra lawnmowers, and gave away a few truckloads of odds and ends out of my garage and shed.  And to the new owner of the house, I sold the theater electronics, the theater furniture, the refrigerator, and of course, the rest of the house with everything I built there, including the deck, gas fire pit, shed, fence, game room, bathrooms, bedrooms, kitchen cabinets, and on and on...  Too many renovations and improvements to count.

Oh, and the family business too, lol.  Sold that.  Got a full bank account and haven't been this poor in 20 years...  :dizzy:
Yeah, man, but why?

dkersten

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2017, 07:46:30 pm »
Yeah, man, but why?
Good question, lol.  And you have a good point too.

I woke up one morning a couple months ago to a wet floor in my computer room.  In and of itself, that was nothing big.  I needed to replace that carpet anyway and it was a reminder that I shouldn't have waited until after winter to put the rain gutter back up on that side of the house.  But it was the last straw.  I was tired of fixing a 50 year old house.

Actually I think I was just tired of making things nice only to have something old break down again.  Then I realized that no matter how much work I do to the house, it will never really be the house I ultimately want.  There are some things I just can't change in it, at least not without spending stupid money that I would never get back.  If I was going to spend money like that I would be better off selling the house and building my own.

Sounded perfect in my head and on paper it looked really good.  And as I take things off the walls I built, tear apart things I put together, and pack up rooms I will never set foot in again, I am realizing that this old ass house has been a big part of my life. 

My new house will be awesome.  My new theater room is going to be insane.  My new planer will take up less space and the 6 times I use it in the next year it will work just as good as my 15" 3hp planer.  I will have more room in my shop without some of those other tools, and I will buy and build better stuff to make the new shop awesome.  And in a few years, maybe 5 or 10, I will have put my personal touch on every room in this new house.  Then I will sell it and start over again, lol. 

JMB

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 20, 2023, 07:29:22 pm
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2017, 01:39:29 pm »
I get where you are coming from. Just moved out of my home of 18 years last week. It is always bittersweet but the end results will be worthwhile. I loved my finished basement in my old house but didn't love the fact that I was coming up on needing a new roof, furnace, hot water heater, and chimney repairs.  A week later we are all settled into the new house and I have been able to frame and sheetrock the new basement. Each step in the journey comes with its own sense of satisfaction. Enjoy the new journey!  :cheers:

dkersten

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2017, 05:10:16 pm »
I get where you are coming from. Just moved out of my home of 18 years last week. It is always bittersweet but the end results will be worthwhile. I loved my finished basement in my old house but didn't love the fact that I was coming up on needing a new roof, furnace, hot water heater, and chimney repairs.  A week later we are all settled into the new house and I have been able to frame and sheetrock the new basement. Each step in the journey comes with its own sense of satisfaction. Enjoy the new journey!  :cheers:
Thanks!
It happens that I replaced the roof last Fall with a 50 year roof, replaced the water heater a few months ago with an expensive hybrid unit, and the furnace is only 7 years old.  I also just put all new carpet in (expensive stuff with the best pad), replaced the main windows in each bedroom upstairs with high end triple pane double hung windows, and scraped all the ceilings and repainted.  It all helped to sell the house fast and I recouped at least some of the money, but I wish I had known I was going to decide to sell it last year so I wouldn't have spent quite so much on the most recent updates.  I could have saved about $5k and still gotten my asking price on the house.  Oh well, hind sight and all...

markc74

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 06:35:25 am
  • Flipping out
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137295.0.html
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2017, 05:30:08 pm »
Crikey. I feel your pain.

My house is 120 years old and I've replaced everything. Walls, electricity, plumbing, kitchen, half the roof. It feels like it never ends. After 5 years of living here I'm only now starting in the garden (man den needed!)

Sounds like you're ready to move. You obviously have your reasons so don't look back and do everything 10% better this time 😄 

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:09:19 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2017, 10:57:22 pm »
I move all the damn time.  ALL the time.  Stop being a sissy, you'll live.

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2017, 01:42:19 am »
I really do not see the point of living in a house and paying a mortgage for a property that is over priced and (especially when the 2007 ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- hit the fan) puts you in a situation where you have to heat/cool/fix/furnish on a regular basis.

If you are pushing 50 and feel that the whole owning a home ---That which is odiferous and causeth plants to grow--- is not your thing, then replace permanent with mobile.  In all seriousness what do you really need?  Bedroom, kitchen, crapper and someplace to chill out and watch TV.  Normally people opt for a cheap apartment, but I think that is wasted money. 

Buy some land where you would like to live in twenty years time (somewhere warm) and plop a tiny house on it.  Lots of people are doing it, and getting out of the trap of paying over the top for something your kids or a distant family member will get when you wake up dead.  If you don't like the place, add the wheels and go someplace else.

It is great if you are self employed like a writer or a technologist, but early retirement, something to keep your depression and anxiety away by designing your future home(stead).  Might be the ticket.

Just an idea.
If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.

dkersten

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2017, 12:25:54 pm »
lol, I watch those tiny house shows and laugh at the idiots trying to go from 1500 sq ft to 200 sq ft.  Especially when they have like 2 kids and 4 pets.  I can understand the whole tiny house thing if you aren't married, no career that keeps you in one place, and of course no kids, but anyone thinking it would get them "freedom" when they have obligations is flirting with a paradox and will end up with a rude awakening.

My home is my sanctuary.  Most people work hard to be able to take a vacation and "get away" from their life.  My vacation is my home, and I get to go there just about every night.  And over the past ~30 years of adulthood I have come to realize that there are two things that are important to me in that sanctuary: a shop and a home theater/media room.  It took spending a fair chunk of money and a lot of labor to build things like a game room, a killer outdoor space, and a nice kitchen/dining/living room to realize that those things just aren't that important to me.  So I am building what I want in a home.  It isn't going to be my "forever home", it's the "what I want at this point in my life" home.

I understand that for many people, the place they live is like a prison, a place they have to have to keep warm and be safe at night but otherwise something that forces them to work a job they hate just to make the rent/mortgage.  I guess I am fortunate to not see things that way and to have the opportunities I have had to turn my residence into a place of relaxation and luxury (regardless of how tight or loose my budget is).

Tearing down my old shop made me realize just how much work I have ahead of me to turn my new house into that sanctuary, but the upside is I am set for projects for the next few years.  Of course, that is odd considering the point of building a house from scratch is so that everything starts out the way you want it and doesn't need to be renovated.  The perspective here is that the stuff I will be working on over the next few years will be things that I have the luxury of spending a few years doing.  The basics, like the kitchen, bathrooms, and bedroom will be done exactly how I want them and be new enough not to worry about walking into a room and finding a puddle of water or to have to replace appliances or fix cabinet doors.  That will free me up to do the stuff I enjoy purely for the sake of enjoying it, not because I have to fix it before it creates an even more expensive mess.

dkersten

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2017, 12:42:04 pm »
I move all the damn time.  ALL the time.  Stop being a sissy, you'll live.
So when was the last time you had to change something after 16 years of not changing it?  Not only have I lived in one house for that long, I haven't lived in an apartment for about 23 years, and I haven't lived somewhere I haven't owned for about 22 years.  It's going to be a pretty major adjustment for me.  I'm not even sure if I can drill a hole in the wall of the new apartment to mount a TV.  Oh the humanity!  How do you make it from day to day?

Hey, if I were used to moving "All the time", it wouldn't be a big deal to me either.

And I'm just reflecting on how much you get settled into things after so much time, and how much time it will take before I am this settled again.  Nobody forced me to sell my house right in the middle of several other major changes in my life.  I chose this.  To me, this is an adventure, a bit of a risk, a massive jolt to the comfort level of my life, and an opportunity to do something I have wanted to do for a long time.  And along with all that comes a lot of excitement, anxiety, and some sleepless nights.

Granted, this stuff isn't as exciting and nerve wracking as opening a free shirt or making a couple bucks a week by pressing a button on a coke machine, but I still wanted to share it here..  :cheers:

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2017, 07:26:24 pm »
lol, I watch those tiny house shows and laugh at the idiots trying to go from 1500 sq ft to 200 sq ft.  Especially when they have like 2 kids and 4 pets.  I can understand the whole tiny house thing if you aren't married, no career that keeps you in one place, and of course no kids, but anyone thinking it would get them "freedom" when they have obligations is flirting with a paradox and will end up with a rude awakening.

My home is my sanctuary.  Most people work hard to be able to take a vacation and "get away" from their life.  My vacation is my home, and I get to go there just about every night.  And over the past ~30 years of adulthood I have come to realize that there are two things that are important to me in that sanctuary: a shop and a home theater/media room.  It took spending a fair chunk of money and a lot of labor to build things like a game room, a killer outdoor space, and a nice kitchen/dining/living room to realize that those things just aren't that important to me.  So I am building what I want in a home.  It isn't going to be my "forever home", it's the "what I want at this point in my life" home.

I understand that for many people, the place they live is like a prison, a place they have to have to keep warm and be safe at night but otherwise something that forces them to work a job they hate just to make the rent/mortgage.  I guess I am fortunate to not see things that way and to have the opportunities I have had to turn my residence into a place of relaxation and luxury (regardless of how tight or loose my budget is).

Tearing down my old shop made me realize just how much work I have ahead of me to turn my new house into that sanctuary, but the upside is I am set for projects for the next few years.  Of course, that is odd considering the point of building a house from scratch is so that everything starts out the way you want it and doesn't need to be renovated.  The perspective here is that the stuff I will be working on over the next few years will be things that I have the luxury of spending a few years doing.  The basics, like the kitchen, bathrooms, and bedroom will be done exactly how I want them and be new enough not to worry about walking into a room and finding a puddle of water or to have to replace appliances or fix cabinet doors.  That will free me up to do the stuff I enjoy purely for the sake of enjoying it, not because I have to fix it before it creates an even more expensive mess.
---fudgesicle--- tiny houses. And Kaneda.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2017, 08:10:16 pm »
I'm just glad you're getting away from that dented fridge and your neighbor's floodlights.

:cheers:

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2017, 10:20:10 am »

Moved my mother into 55+ housing last month.  Nothing motivates one to assess their own house and clutter situation quite like moving someone who has serious clutter problems.  I've been on a rampage in my house getting rid of stuff lately and haven't even scratched the damn surface.

What's the best thing to do with stuff like game specific monitor plexis for cabs that are long gone?

dkersten

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2017, 10:49:24 am »

Moved my mother into 55+ housing last month.  Nothing motivates one to assess their own house and clutter situation quite like moving someone who has serious clutter problems.  I've been on a rampage in my house getting rid of stuff lately and haven't even scratched the damn surface.
My ex wife was a borderline hoarder.  When we finally got divorced, there were several piles of junk mail stacked up in our bedroom (about 6 piles 3-5 feet high).  The day she started digging into it all to get her ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- packed up, she got about half way through and turns to me and says "Maybe we should just try to work this out and not get divorced."  She was dead serious.  I just laughed and walked out of the room.  99% of the clutter in my house left with her, and it was such a huge relief.  The only thing we didn't overhaul at that time was the garage.  I gave her everything in the kitchen (she had 2x of every pampered chef item known to man) and I told her that I get the garage.  It took over a week of hauling stuff out of the house when she left. 

We "pre-packed" what we could before the house went up on the market, and most of it is seasonal stuff and there is maybe 5 boxes of crap that isn't a part of everyday life.  Including all the lawn equipment (like mower, snowblower, etc), all the seasonal stuff, and that clutter, it barely takes up 1/10th of a 10x20 storage shed.  I think my garage will end up taking up 3/4 of one 10x20 storage shed by itself, and in the last 2 weekends I packed 15 boxes and will end up with a dozen large totes for the smaller power tools alone.  But the rest of the house, barely anything left we don't use.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2017, 12:04:48 pm »

Yeah, I'm working on it for sure.  I'm like most of us around here with so many hobbies that the tools/supplies/parts just pile up.  Continuously. 

fallacy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 08:27:51 pm
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2017, 12:14:48 pm »
I will be paying off my house this year, it took 9 years but it will finally be done. Part of me wants to sell and by something really nice and big but another part is just like I won’t really get anything I don’t already have. Probably end up doing is buying a second place for an investment, sucks that everything went up 30% in just one ---smurfing--- year at the time I am ready to expand.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2017, 02:02:20 pm »

Take that mortgage payment, bank it, and wait for the market to turn back down.  No point in jumping in high.  By the time it swings back you'll have enough banked to jump in hard.

dkersten

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2017, 03:28:40 pm »
I will be paying off my house this year, it took 9 years but it will finally be done. Part of me wants to sell and by something really nice and big but another part is just like I won’t really get anything I don’t already have. Probably end up doing is buying a second place for an investment, sucks that everything went up 30% in just one ---smurfing--- year at the time I am ready to expand.
That was my dilemma - live in a house that is paid off and have most of my paycheck be slush money (or savings), stay in the paid off house and buy investment property, or sell and upgrade.  Ultimately for me the choice came down to whether I would be content staying where I am when I can afford to upgrade, and I know myself enough to know I wouldn't be.

Yes, if you are looking to invest in rental property, now is probably not the best time.  At least wait until Winter when prices drop a little.  With the potential changes due to Trump's new tax policy, you probably won't be able to itemize unless you have a pretty expensive mortgage, so investing your slush money in the market may be a little more lucrative than investing in income property right now.  Of course, it all depends on what changes are made to the tax structure, if any.  That should be weighing on your decision between investing in property and investing the same money in something else.  It's a bad year to do anything that has a significant tax event. 

fallacy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2017, 04:51:17 pm »
Ya I will probably have to wait now;  also because nothing in that price range stays on the market  longer than a day. Hate when the housing market starts bubbling up like this, what posable good comes from it? higher property tax, higher interest and then the inevitable crash after dealing with the price hikes for several years. Even if you are selling your place it does not mean much assuming you are buying a new place that is also priced hiked up. I say keep it low with a 3 to 5 % a year for inflation.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2017, 09:01:32 am »

Keep it low?  It's a free market.

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 06:07:15 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2017, 09:40:16 am »
I've only moved household 11 times in the last 16 years.

dkersten

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2017, 10:31:39 am »
Moving day is tomorrow...

The upside is I may not be moving twice in a year.  My new house may not be ready until after Christmas. 

Wait.  Did I say upside?  :badmood:

dkersten

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2017, 10:56:13 am »
what possible good comes from it?
The price on my new house was set before home prices started to climb this year, and I got nearly $30k more than any house in my neighborhood has ever sold for.  I would say that is doing me a lot of good.   :cheers:

And I know in some areas they assess taxes more often, but here they recently had a new assessment done and it was the first in a long time.  The assessment was reasonable and did not follow the current market but rather long term value trends.  In my search for new homes I paid attention to the taxes paid in recent years, and while the last adjustment was big, it still didn't come close to market prices.  (The tax basis on my home was $165k, I sold for $250k, and that assessment was in 2016).

The only things bad about a surge in home prices are when you are a first time buyer, want to upgrade significantly, or want to buy a second property.  But sometimes the markets have to favor the seller.  It is the natural way of things.  If it always favors the buyer then people will stop selling.  The upside is you can wait it out.  Any time you buy or sell anything in a market that is not set, you are gambling.  I took a gamble and sold in the early spring even though I knew I wouldn't have a house to move into until the end of the year.  If prices in my area go up in the Fall, I will have lost that gamble.  So far it is looking like I made the right choice.

If it is just a spike, it will settle down.  If it is a trend, it will stick around.  2008 isn't going to happen again, the new regulations on larger loans mean anyone who bought a home in the $400k price range will have had to put down a significant down payment.  There are no more $750k loans with $20k down any more, nor are there $750k mortgage holders that never had an income to warrant that kind of mortgage.  Yes, the market could drop, but it won't leave hundreds of thousands of homeowners with homes they never could afford with no equity at all and an ARM that is about to balloon.  There is always risk in short term real estate deals, and right now is simply not the time to get into one.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2017, 11:07:38 am »

You couldn't do that in the 80/90s, either.  The laws were gradually loosened up allowing those loans.  I could see that happening again once a new generation of property owners and elected officials comes of age that don't remember 2008.

dkersten

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2017, 01:01:39 pm »
You couldn't do that in the 80/90s, either.  The laws were gradually loosened up allowing those loans.  I could see that happening again once a new generation of property owners and elected officials comes of age that don't remember 2008.
This particular "Millennial" generation is more inclined to invent their own history rather than learning from real history, so I would bet that in another 20 years this sort of thing will happen again, as will pretty much every mistake made in the last 2 centuries.  And they will all be surprised at the outcome.  Human nature doesn't change, the thing that changes is the way culture handles human nature.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2017, 01:11:08 pm »
This particular "Millennial" generation is more inclined to invent their own history rather than learning from real history, so I would bet that in another 20 years this sort of thing will happen again, as will pretty much every mistake made in the last 2 centuries.  And they will all be surprised at the outcome.  Human nature doesn't change, the thing that changes is the way culture handles human nature.

Didn't anyone tell you?  There is no such thing as history to them.  There is ourstory.  Yes, I was told that by someone with a straight face.

fallacy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2017, 01:43:23 pm »
2008 happened because everyone in the real-estate and loan business was making money and no one gave a ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- about the bigger picture or even what the other guy was doing. That has not changed a few more regulations just means a few extra steps to get around them to make that money.

dkersten

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2017, 01:10:50 am »
2008 happened because everyone in the real-estate and loan business was making money and no one gave a ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- about the bigger picture or even what the other guy was doing. That has not changed a few more regulations just means a few extra steps to get around them to make that money.
And since all the home owners were fiscally responsible adults, none of them got themselves into a loan they couldn't afford, and of course they all made sure to plan for the future and have enough down payment where they could sell in a down market too. Not their fault at all, it's all the banks.  :laugh2:

Yes, banks took advantage of relaxed laws that allowed them to give out loans to people with bad credit and no money down and the government entities that underwrote those loans let it happen.  It was horrible lending practice and the banks that went belly up from it deserved what they got. 

You could point the finger at banks, at the govt., and at morons who signed on the dotted line and pretended that since a bank told them they could borrow 10 times what they make in a year, it must be OK.  In every case you would be right, as long as you don't exclude any of the above from fault. 

The practices that led directly to the crash of 2008 are no longer allowed.  Idiots will still try to borrow more money than they should, and banks will still sometimes loan it to them.  But as long as you don't have some guy making $50k getting a $500k loan with no down payment, the risk of a market dump causing the reaction it did in 2008 is low.  Besides, what happened in 2008 and 2009 went way beyond a bunch of crappy loans and some real estate that lost value.   

As for "predatory lending", when I was a young adult and in debt up to my eyeballs, I blamed the banks for all my problems too.  I mean, they just sent me a card that allowed me to spend thousands of dollars I didn't have, and then expected me to pay INTEREST on that loan.  They nerve of them!!  They duped me into making bad decisions!  Aaaaaaannnd .... then I grew up.  Oddly, if you pay attention in 7th grade math, as an adult you will understand that when you make $50k per year, you can't ever afford a $500k house.  There is no scenario where it adds up.  No matter how compelling the banks made it to go out and buy that ridiculously expensive house, even the dumbest people should have known better.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2017, 08:42:33 am »

While I agree with all of that, the banks and the mortgage companies made so many billions of dollars during that period, it will all cycle back again.  It might take 20 years for people to forget enough to allow it but it will happen.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2017, 09:34:58 am »
As always, I point out that most mortgages didn't default, and the real issue was a relaxation of laws allowing banks to borrow 100 to 1 against them.  The irresponsible home buyers bit is a line pushed by those that sought bailouts.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 04:21:02 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2017, 09:57:12 am »
+1 to that.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2017, 09:58:56 am »

That's also true.  A mortgage didn't have to default to end up 50% underwater, though.  That's almost as screwed as losing the house.

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:26:18 pm
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2017, 01:39:29 pm »
I'm buying a house soon after a divorce. All my stuff is huge (guitar amps, mountains of guitar cases, arcade machines, tools) so it's currently taking up my friends entire basement. Not where I wanted it to end up but I had to move in a hurry and didn't think it would be for 6 months before I was ready to buy again.

fallacy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2017, 09:45:21 pm »
No kidding today I got a letter in the mail on how El Paso County whats to value my house 50000 more than it previously was; looking on Facebook everyone in Colorado Springs received a slimier notice today. They are literately trying to use the home surging prices to raise everyone's property tax tenfold to see if it sticks.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2017, 09:31:53 am »

Every few years I get a letter from the town stating that they want to come in and inspect my house for an addition they think I've made.  Someone reported to them that I had added a bedroom and a bathroom.  Not sure where in the small house the town thinks I may have stuffed two extra rooms.

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:26:18 pm
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2017, 03:08:40 pm »
Oh people and their damn reporting. My friend had her children, 6 and 10 years old playing in the back yard while she was in the kitchen watching them from a sliding glass door. Social services did a full investigation into her parenting because someone reported children outside alone in a fully fenced back yard (how did they see in?)