Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Arcade OS?  (Read 4829 times)

Foxsec

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 01, 2017, 09:26:10 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Arcade OS?
« on: April 24, 2017, 01:14:34 pm »
Hey guys.

I recently got hold of a nice cabinet which I am stripping. I have spare MOBO's/HDD and monitor but am curious if there is a retro OS that you can boot (like Retropie).

Before I go ahead with the stripping I just want to know exactly what I'll need (A pc mobo or a Ras Pi 3)

Many thanks.

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
Re: Arcade OS?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2017, 01:57:41 pm »
Pc is always better than Pi, just about any PC will do. There are tons of menu systems available, for Windows and Linux.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2017, 03:46:43 pm »
If you have mobo, hdd etc use them.

Pi is great but PC is much easier to set up and configure not to mention more versatile.

There are loads of front ends out there to run on windows.

Look in the forums and there is plenty of info on FE's and how to configure windows.

Phreakwars

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:36:46 am
  • Waka-Waka
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,146325.0.html
    • My Facebook Page
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2017, 04:11:12 am »
Ha!! Here I was thinking this topic was about the actual "ArcadeOS" operating system from years ago. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE that arcade frontend. Great for old machines and old versions of MAME.

Foxsec

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 01, 2017, 09:26:10 am
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2017, 08:24:04 am »
Pc is always better than Pi, just about any PC will do. There are tons of menu systems available, for Windows and Linux.

I shall have a look, would this make the arcade OS boot on load, so you don't have to mess around playing about loading programs up in Windows etc?

smass

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 09, 2024, 07:46:54 pm
  • Cheapskate Arcade
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2017, 09:12:45 am »

I shall have a look, would this make the arcade OS boot on load, so you don't have to mess around playing about loading programs up in Windows etc?

Yes, the terms you are looking for are "frontend" and "emulator."  The Frontend is the software that you use to display your games and navigate.  Emulators are the software that runs the games (MAME for instance).

Most folks set their chosen frontend to run at startup so that windows boots directly into the frontend software. 

These are very basic principles so I would suggest you do some research starting with the basics.  There are dozens of frontends to choose from.

SuperGojira2001

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 20, 2017, 05:14:53 pm
  • Trying to learn...
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2017, 10:49:21 am »
Tbh a Pi is underkill for a fullsize cabinet. Use your PC spare PC parts to make a decent PC, and install a light Linux distro and a front-end like Emulation Station.

keilmillerjr

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2023, 10:20:39 pm
  • Web Developer.
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2017, 01:31:30 pm »
Tbh a Pi is underkill for a fullsize cabinet. Use your PC spare PC parts to make a decent PC, and install a light Linux distro and a front-end like Emulation Station.

It depends what you want to run. I'm my case, I only run neo geo games. They run fine on the pc inside my neo geo, and run fine on my pi2 connected to my tv via component 240p.

The pi is starting to become a good option after the recent firmware update. You can now switch low resolutions lotions on the fly. Some one just needs to automate this. But if your running games with the same resolution, it's fine as is.

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 20, 2024, 04:36:20 pm
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2017, 09:24:05 am »
Attract mode is a good light lightweight front-end for all platforms including R-pi.

Honestly the record high is getting to the point where more than adequate for most beginners looking to do a basic setup. For a full-size cadre still better off with a used PC.

1500points

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 20, 2018, 01:44:12 pm
    • How to succeed at Robotron
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2017, 10:13:44 am »
depending on what arcade games you intend on playing, the Pi can present obvious lag that a PC won't.
It plays slower moving games like Space Invaders, Galaxian, etc without noticing the lag, but get into faster games and you'll feel it.

DARKTHC

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 15, 2023, 04:22:47 am
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2023, 04:12:46 am »
Have You Tried .. Batocera It Is Linux Based OS
 :notworthy:

burntOmaro

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 25, 2023, 09:35:50 pm
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2023, 01:24:41 pm »
To piggyback off of OP, would something like the mini-pc be enough to run pre-2000 games?

https://www.bee-link.com/catalog/product/index?id=433

EssexMame

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 19, 2024, 09:07:15 am
  • Mame Weekender
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2023, 11:59:52 am »
+1 for Batocera. I use that on a PC (both booting from a USB stick and an install on another HD).

I've used Recalbox and Lakka too, both of which were very similar to Batocera, I just prefer Batocera.

Zeosstud

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2024, 03:12:48 pm
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2023, 03:29:59 am »
You can now make BigBox the shell for windows inside the options of BigBox, so it is essentially the OS. Super easy to switch from it as the shell back to "Normal" windows, maybe this option with a PC might work for you.

Zeosstud

Fursphere

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 07:38:59 pm
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2023, 11:09:45 am »
You can now make BigBox the shell for windows inside the options of BigBox, so it is essentially the OS. Super easy to switch from it as the shell back to "Normal" windows, maybe this option with a PC might work for you.

Zeosstud

on my two cabinets, I think I saved approx 1 minute in loading time (average between the two) by switching to BigBox Shell.    You have to plan a lot ahead in Launchbox, because you loose windows "startup" features - so anything you had starting up with windows you have to migrate to the launchbox startup options.   

Its a neat idea, but not something I found useful - as I'm always dropping to Windows to tweak stuff, add  new stuff, do maintenance, whatever.   Always tinkering.   BB Shell prevents that in a way, as when you 'exit' BB, you get a black desktop. 

_Iz-

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 16, 2024, 10:24:57 pm
  • Time to coin up!
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2023, 09:49:33 pm »
To piggyback off of OP, would something like the mini-pc be enough to run pre-2000 games?

https://www.bee-link.com/catalog/product/index?id=433

I use one of these in my cab. Works great