Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Good controller board for HyperPie?  (Read 3650 times)

evinasdad

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2017, 10:06:21 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Good controller board for HyperPie?
« on: April 21, 2017, 09:52:02 am »
Hello,
I recently discovered HyperPie and was considering building an arcade control system using the kit from Game Room Solutions.  Question I have for the community is what is a good controller board that is compatible with the Raspberry Pie 3? 

Amazon has a ton of listings for the Zero Delay and I've seen some videos (Simply Austin) where the Xin Mo was used. 

Which would be a better option for a two player setup with just Joysticks and buttons?

Thank you.

ZoOl007

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 02, 2020, 12:03:38 pm
    • RGBcommander
Re: Good controller board for HyperPie?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 01:58:58 pm »
just buy an UltimateIO  http://ultimarc.com/ipacuio.html and you'll have all you need (in my humble opinion that is)

mahuti

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2022, 09:51:19 pm
  • I dare anything! I am Skeletor!
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 02:04:11 pm »
I've used Zero delays, GroovyGameGear's GPWiz Max, GPWiz Max 49way, and some others they no longer sell, as well as JPac, Ultrastik (has it's own encoder) Ipac from Ultimarc, off the shelf nintendo and psx-style USB controllers.

Pretty much any of the USB controllers I've used have worked fine out of the box. Not sure about HyperPie configuration options (I use RetroPie), but generally speaking linux has pretty good compatibility with controllers.

The only one I've had a problem with was GroovyGameGear's 49 way encoder.... Linux doesn't like the positive-only output from that stick and I've been unable by any means to get the 49way part of the encoder to work (but the rest of it works fine).

Personally though, I prefer keyboard encoders like the Ipac rather than gamepad  encoders, but that's my personal preference. Some people complain about lag with Zero Delays and Xin-Mo... but I don't know. I don't really feel it.

Raspberry Pi, AttractMode, and Skeletor enthusiast.

1500points

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 20, 2018, 01:44:12 pm
    • How to succeed at Robotron
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 02:24:41 pm »
Hyperpie is just a glitzed up attract mode version of Retropie.  They are doing some creatively inspired work.  The ground zero for it is a FB group by similar name.

I've also used a ton of encoders like the cheap xinmo/zero delay, i-pac, j-pac, etc.

J-pac is nice for the jamma edge connector.
ipac is better price and it is the most easy going version.
the cheap chinese versions have their variation of confusing points, like the unlabeled connection points or trying to figure out the joy button naming conventions if you are in the pi config files manually entering data.

the delay is mostly in the Pi/game software itself, not so much the specific encoder (as far as the human gameplay experience goes) I'm sure the benchtest dev's can run stats, but I go by what I feel in fast games like Robotron/Defender/Nibbler or NES SMB when quickly running and precisely jumping.  Every encoder on a pi has issues with that, where you won't feel it on a good PC with MAME, etc.