Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Retro Freak - 15 Retro Gaming Consoles In One  (Read 1823 times)

gamepimp

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 10, 2024, 01:38:47 pm
Retro Freak - 15 Retro Gaming Consoles In One
« on: April 20, 2017, 08:33:05 am »
So I happened on this little gem about a month ago and finally decided to take a plunge. This baby is like the "Swiss army knife" of retro gaming consoles. On its own, it can play cartridges from 11 different systems. With a couple of adapters (purchased separately, of course ;)), you can add another 4 systems to that for a total of 15. The system has HDMI with an output resolution of 720P. There are graphic filters that let you tweak the image to your preferences. There is also a scanline setting in case you want that really retro look. The system lets you dump your cartridges onto a SD card so that you don't have to keep inserting them into the system whenever you want to play. The console also lets you play games directly from the SD card like an Everdrive on steroids. The system isn't super cheap, but for what you get it's also not crazy expensive either. They are readily available on Amazon so you don't have to buy one from an Asian retailer. I've only started playing around with this thing and am super impressed so far. Essentially this is an emulation box and all the functionality can be done easily on a PC. However, for the ease and convenience this thing provides, it's worth taking a look at. And from the games I've played so far plus the reviews I've seen on YouTube and online, the emulation seems to be fairly accurate. Here's a review from Sega Nerds which does a good job of highlighting all the features:

http://www.seganerds.com/2015/12/15/review-cybergadgets-retro-freak-console/

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:58:22 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
Re: Retro Freak - 15 Retro Gaming Consoles In One
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 10:19:06 am »
So, can you play ROMs off the SD card and never have to own the cartridge?

gamepimp

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 10, 2024, 01:38:47 pm
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 05:02:27 pm »
Yes. I suspect that by advertising that the console lets you dump the cartridges you "own" to the SD card attempts to make running roms off the card more legit. Of course, with so many devices available now to play roms, I think they're probably not too worried about getting in trouble for that.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:58:22 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2017, 05:25:09 pm »
Interface looks just as bad as Emulation Station.  Pass.