Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Nintendo is bringing back the SNES — SNES Classic Edition  (Read 73700 times)

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:47:56 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
Re: Nintendo is bringing back the SNES — SNES Classic Edition
« Reply #360 on: February 13, 2018, 04:34:55 pm »
Had to remind Goodwill it was time to ship that Genesis I paid for a week ago....

Been watching the auctions, they're ranging about $25-40 shipped.  Let's see if/when it actually arrives.

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #361 on: February 13, 2018, 07:33:43 pm »
Yeah those hipsters piss me off.... wearing their fedoras on vacation and stuff.  :)
lol  you’re really stuck on that picture of me. If you want I’ll frame it and send it to you.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:29:33 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #362 on: February 13, 2018, 11:30:19 pm »
Had to remind Goodwill it was time to ship that Genesis I paid for a week ago....

Been watching the auctions, they're ranging about $25-40 shipped.  Let's see if/when it actually arrives.

I don't have a good track record with goodwill unfortunately.  I'm interested in what you think of the flashback..... seems pretty good judging by videos, but definitely not 70 dollars good.   

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #363 on: February 17, 2018, 04:50:03 pm »
"How many game systems did you buy this year?"

"A fair few."

Anyway, it's clearly not Nintendo polished in the interface but the emulation seems good and the controllers are  nice.  Inexplicably, Game Gear games have an overlay while Genesis and SMS don't. Rewind works better on this vs snes.

For ~$30 shipped for an obviously brand new system I feel like it was a good buy.  I don't know that it offers any advantages over a Pi besides the quick boots and wireless controllers.  The nostalgia factor was super high for me on this one, even the damn box looks like the original ones.  System case feels solid. Controllers aren't as nice as the snes but they're reasonably close to how I remember the original 6 button ones feeling.

:cheers:

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #364 on: February 17, 2018, 09:35:19 pm »
Have you tried the hacks yet and how much of a pain in the butt are they if so?

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #365 on: February 17, 2018, 10:16:16 pm »
Yes, I've added more games.  I've got the newer non-OGG version (I'm not sure that anything that hit retail was actually the OGG version).

Anyway, heated up the decal on the bottom with a hair dryer, peeled it back, threw away that worthless hidden screw and now this is an easy unit to take apart without doing any cosmetic damage.

I installed the 15 second adb drivers, plugged it in to my Win7 machine, let the computer crank on drivers for 20 minutes.  Then you run a few simple command lines and you're in business.

After that it's a matter of dragging and dropping a rom and png for each game you want to add, and you have to make an entry in the gamelist text file.  I basically have it "Kill everything that moves. A-Punch B-Kick C-Jump" and that's good enough for meta data.

Only hitch I've hit so far is it didn't like some of my file names.  System was a brick until I started over and installed them in smaller batches.  Not sure what was the culprit specifically, but it didn't like sor2, sor2, or tmnt as file names.  Renamed to streetrage2, streetrage 3, and teenageninja and good to go.

Frankly, the default game list on this thing is reasonably curated, so I haven't felt the need to install much...

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #366 on: February 18, 2018, 12:59:28 am »
Well, I’m not exactly sure what the issue is... seems like the custom game list randomly craps out when you unplug the system from the computer.  I guess instead of walking the console back and forth across my house I should copy the files, unplug the console from pc, replug and see if the file is intact.  But hey, I think I logged 2,000 steps back and forth from pc to tv.

Wireless range on the controllers is great.  Played it a good 20 feet away without problems.

$80 is too steep for this thing, but I’m happy at what I paid.  Streets of Rage 2 and Vectorman 2 sound phenomenal pumped through a sound system.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #367 on: February 18, 2018, 01:55:39 am »
I'm kind of torn.  I've got a model 1 genesis, an everdrive cart and a scart 2 hdmi adapter, so I'm good to go, but like you I'm kind of drawn to it purely for nostalgic reasons. 

In terms of real consoles I'm at maximum capacity.  That world of Nintendo cabinet I built might be able to squeeze in a couple more consoles and I'm looking for a proper place to put my handhelds and display the nes/snes classics.  So even though I want one, the question arises should I really buy one when I'm running out of room?

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #368 on: February 18, 2018, 12:39:55 pm »
Probably a waste of money in your case.

My issues seem to be related to the added files getting corrupt either during the transfer or when I unplug the USB cable. So now I transfer, unplug, wait 5 seconds, replug and verify files on system are good. Been good to go since  I've been doing that.

Will probably figure  out how to interact with the file system directly and get rid of the system link. But for now I'm good.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #369 on: February 28, 2018, 10:21:31 pm »
Copying the file and simply waiting a minute before unplugging seems to have resolved the transfer corruption.

The stock library is fairly comprehensive, but here’s what I added....

Castle of Illusion
Castlevania
Flashback
Gunstar Heroes
Moonwalker
NBA Jam (I couldn’t get TE to load but only tried one rom)
Populous
Quack shot
Road Rash 2
Street Fighter 2
Strider
Streets of Rage 2&3
TMNT
Toe jam and Earl
Tough man Contest
Zero Wing

All tested and playable.  Couldn’t get Samurai Shodown to work despite trying all regions.

Doing the descriptions is annoying but you can have fun with it....

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #370 on: February 28, 2018, 11:29:32 pm »
Heh, nice. 

I've been thinking that console roms need a good dat with all of that info in it.  I'm really interested in associating roms with product codes or crc's to avoid the problem of different naming schemes.  I would like to associate clone and "brother" rom releases as well so it'd be possible to properly create a list of unique games without language variants ect...  I actually made a rom reader a while back, but I've yet to expand it into a useful tool.  It's be nice to just have a little app to sort and filter games for flash carts and hdmi consoles like that and to automatically fill in the pertinent text data. 

Maybe when I get the three projects rotting on my hdd released this month I can actually spend some time on it. 

bigster

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 16, 2022, 08:24:40 pm
« Reply #371 on: March 05, 2018, 01:56:04 pm »
I just played zelda oot 3d for the first time.  Was blown away by the frame rate.  It is going to ruin the n64 classic version. 

Now, after playing oot 3d I wish Nintendo would have "remastered" star fox 1 and 2 instead of giving us these 5 fps versions on the snes classic. 

I still bought snes classic with the low fps, and I know it is original but still.  Let's improve these gems in the future.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:40:39 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #372 on: March 05, 2018, 02:17:52 pm »
Back when OOT came out, we were so floored by the fully realized polygonal world that we were much less nit picky about the 20 FPS framerate. Link was so expressive and the game felt so real and cinematic in a way that no other game had ever felt. We didn't mind stuff like blocky polygons or low res/blurry textures either.

Now that we've seen Link move at a very well animated 30FPS at 1080p in WWHD, and 60FPS in stereoscopic 3D on 3DS and so on... yes, a sub 20 FPS experience would be subpar.

in the end it's still the same old fight.... you either get accurate emulation (---smurfy--- framerate and all) or you don't and purists whine.

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 27, 2024, 07:02:12 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #373 on: March 06, 2018, 03:58:49 pm »
Back when OOT came out, we were so floored by the fully realized polygonal world that we were much less nit picky about the 20 FPS framerate. Link was so expressive and the game felt so real and cinematic in a way that no other game had ever felt. We didn't mind stuff like blocky polygons or low res/blurry textures either.

Now that we've seen Link move at a very well animated 30FPS at 1080p in WWHD, and 60FPS in stereoscopic 3D on 3DS and so on... yes, a sub 20 FPS experience would be subpar.

in the end it's still the same old fight.... you either get accurate emulation (---smurfy--- framerate and all) or you don't and purists whine.

There are HD texture packs for OOT on emulators.
I haven't played with them yet but the Mario 64 and Smash Brothers 64 HD texture packs made a difference on the big screen TV.
I did have to tweak the settings on my Ouya for it to run smooth though.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #374 on: March 07, 2018, 12:39:36 am »
Yeah most n64 emulators allow for high res rendering and hd texture packs.  The old N64 wrestling games are still modded and have an active community to this day.  Yes the poly count in them is a bit low, but with the new textures they actually look pretty decent. 

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #375 on: March 08, 2018, 09:44:33 pm »

On the Genesis Flashback, Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 and Mortal Kombat Trilogy ROM hacks just boot up to a blue checksum error screen. 

Verified both work on my PC with PicoDrive. 

Oh well.

:'(

Also found a weird glitch in Sonic 2 in the Aquatic Zone levels.  Granted, these were glitchy on original hardware.  One time my wife grabbed an air bubble just as the timer was about to hit 0.  Tails died, Sonic lived.  Background music stopped and it played the drowned sound effect over and over.  Once she hit another air bubble, music resumed and Tail came back.  Then as she got towards the end of the level, she clipped through a wall and fell off the bottom of the screen. 

On her next life, that area of the level played correctly. 

:dunno

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #376 on: March 08, 2018, 09:48:37 pm »
I've ran into odd glitches on the water levels on pc emulators, so I wouldn't consider that a major glitch.  It very well could be in the game.  Then again the only significant time I played sonic 2 was when I was testing UCDP for gens, so take that info with a grain of salt. 

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #377 on: March 08, 2018, 09:54:40 pm »
There's a ton of stuff going on the screen during that level and I remember it playing oddly in the 90s on a Genesis model 2.  So yeah, no big deal, but there it is.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #378 on: March 08, 2018, 09:56:32 pm »
It kind of sucks about the MK hacks though.... that's some of the coolest stuff on the Genesis. 

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #379 on: March 08, 2018, 10:00:18 pm »
I tried a few Genesis emulators, and PicoDrive was the only one that would play them. 

On that Flashback hack thread, one guy got the built in emulator replaced with PicoDrive.... If he can get the rewind and save states working as well as they do on the originals, it might be worth a switch...

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #380 on: March 09, 2018, 10:23:21 am »

On the Genesis Flashback, Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 and Mortal Kombat Trilogy ROM hacks just boot up to a blue checksum error screen. 

Verified both work on my PC with PicoDrive. 

Oh well.

:'(

Also found a weird glitch in Sonic 2 in the Aquatic Zone levels.  Granted, these were glitchy on original hardware.  One time my wife grabbed an air bubble just as the timer was about to hit 0.  Tails died, Sonic lived.  Background music stopped and it played the drowned sound effect over and over.  Once she hit another air bubble, music resumed and Tail came back.  Then as she got towards the end of the level, she clipped through a wall and fell off the bottom of the screen. 

On her next life, that area of the level played correctly. 

:dunno

gut it and toss in an RPI3.
It'll handle 32x and Sega-CD. :)

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #381 on: March 09, 2018, 10:42:28 am »

https://goo.gl/aGLzWi

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:40:39 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #382 on: March 09, 2018, 11:36:30 am »

https://goo.gl/aGLzWi

I wish we could still upvote posts

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #383 on: March 09, 2018, 12:06:11 pm »
I'm kind of scratching my head as to why this didn't occur to me earlier, but one could plug a right angle mini usb cable into the PCB and then run it out the cartridge slot.  No need for drilling holes in the case.  And should be fairly easy to tuck inside the cartridge slot when you're not using it.  Or hell, just leave it dangling out.

Here's the cheapest one I found at $1.08 shipped.  The female end still needs a mini usb connector, but I've got a bunch of those cables laying around from my PS3.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Wholesale-Price-24cm-GPS-Mini-USB-5Pin-90-Degree-Left-Angled-Male-To-Female-Extension-Cable/32579321825.html

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #384 on: March 09, 2018, 10:59:54 pm »
Phrasing. Are we still doing phrasing?

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #385 on: March 09, 2018, 11:48:30 pm »
So I found this:

Wireless Gamepad

I've been looking for a wireless snes gamepad that's a virtual clone of the real gamepad, like I found for the nes classic and this is as close as I've been able to find.  You can get snes or super famicom button colors, it has a rechargeable battery, a home button hotkey and it'll work on the pc as well.  The only thing holding me back is the price.... we are getting into 8bitdo territory although I suppose it's still cheaper considering it comes with the dongle.  I'll probably pull the trigger soon, but I wanted to give a heads up in case someone else wants to be the lab rat this time. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #386 on: March 09, 2018, 11:52:25 pm »
I'm really thinking of getting a couple of wireless pads for each of my classics and putting the dongles inside the shells for a cleaner look.  The snes in particular looks pretty darn stupid with controllers inserted. 

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #387 on: March 10, 2018, 11:02:28 am »
I think the 3rd parties got burned on making so many NES accessories nobody could use for lack of owning an NES classic.  It’s a shame because I would enjoy some $10 wireless controllers for my SNES.  Dpad ain’t great on the Genesis ones but that wireless is awesome.

JDFan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
« Reply #388 on: March 10, 2018, 11:07:49 am »
So I found this:

Wireless Gamepad

IF you'd rather get it From Amazon instead of Aliexpress they have them at pretty much the same price using fullfilment by Amazon so shipped from a US warehouse rather than China - ( https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077MNYQ3Y/ref=sspa_dk_detail_0?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B077MNYQ3Y&pd_rd_wg=ZyxNT&pd_rd_r=8MSNFW6AFC1S1KVW7W2Y&pd_rd_w=1FIFe )

IT's nice that they include the PC dongle also so you can use the controller on your PC as well as the SNES/NEs mini.

we are getting into 8bitdo territory although I suppose it's still cheaper considering it comes with the dongle. 

THe 8bitdo sn30 includes the dongle as well - the bluetooth ones don't but the sn30 which is 2.4Ghz. does include it for the $25 ( https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074HBNNH6/ref=nav_timeline_asin?_encoding=UTF8&th=1 ) so yeah the price difference is really negligible so might stick with 8bitdo since they seem to be pretty good quality

« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 11:16:38 am by JDFan »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #389 on: March 10, 2018, 02:06:42 pm »
I think the 3rd parties got burned on making so many NES accessories nobody could use for lack of owning an NES classic.  It’s a shame because I would enjoy some $10 wireless controllers for my SNES.  Dpad ain’t great on the Genesis ones but that wireless is awesome.

Oh absolutely.  It's a shame because at first it looked like we were going to get some really cool accessories for the nes/snes classic.  They fell off as soon as the supply for the consoles dried up though.  It looks like the snes pads are by the same company as the nes one I bought before.... same dongle, ect. so it might be that they decided to up the price. 

Thanks for the links and info JDF....  I like the 8bitdo ones, but I'm dead set on getting a clone that looks like the actual pads, even if that means I have to buy a cruddy pad with the right form factor and upgrade with parts from a better gamepad.  I'm not going to do it right now though... too many projects. 

Grasshopper

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 08, 2023, 07:20:31 am
  • life, don't talk to me about life
« Reply #390 on: March 11, 2018, 04:28:49 pm »
So I found this:

Wireless Gamepad

Thanks for the heads up.

Incidentally, they're also available on Ebay for about the same price. Obviously they're still shipping from China but Ebay gives you better buyer protection.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-2pcs-Wireless-Controller-Gamepad-For-Super-Nintendo-SNES-Classic-Mini-Console/142714614708?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=441706615692&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

I'm tempted to get one because I need a gamepad that will work with my SNES Classic, my tablet, and my Pi.
"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel." - Samuel Johnson

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #391 on: March 26, 2018, 09:25:32 am »
Got the USB cable for my Genesis.  Works great, just keep it tucked in the cartridge slot.  Went ahead and sealed the unit back up and put the rubber feet on it.  Supposedly some guy has the AtGames menus going with a better emulator... if that actually pans out, I'll slap some 32X and SegaCD games on it.

So now I wait for a release.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:20:30 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #392 on: March 26, 2018, 10:18:00 am »
I'll slap some 32X and SegaCD games on it.

Man did I have some rose tinted glasses on for Eternal Champions : Challenge from the Dark Side.  I put it on the Open Pandora's Box OS and gave it a go in my Dynamo arcade cab, CPU is ---smurfing--- brutal and honestly, the game isn't that fun :(

At first I blamed the arcade controls/Pandora emulation, then I tried again on KegaFusion and it was just as bad.
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #393 on: March 26, 2018, 10:30:17 am »
Owned that one back in the day, didn't like it then either.

Probably just stick Snatcher on the system, play it for 30 minutes, and never finish it.  Just like I always do.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #394 on: March 26, 2018, 12:06:20 pm »
Probably just stick Snatcher on the system, play it for 30 minutes, and never finish it.  Just like I always do.

Awww man Snatcher deserves a full play through. I bet Willy Beamish is probably playable without the WickedRetarded® long load times.
Road Avenger is a guilty pleasure of mine on SCD

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #395 on: March 26, 2018, 12:13:06 pm »
I had Willy Beamish on PC and loved it.  Played through several times.

Bought it on Sega CD for the enhancements.  I didn't even make it out of the school.

Probably the angriest I've ever been at a video game purchase.

:timebomb:

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #396 on: March 26, 2018, 12:23:54 pm »
By the time I made it out of the classroom by forging a hall pass I had played about 8 minutes and had about 20 minutes of loading time. Brutal.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #397 on: March 26, 2018, 01:42:11 pm »
Heh.... meanwhile us smart kids were playing Super Nintendo.  No load times.  ;)

I remember being sega cd curious until the neighbor kid got one.  I can't even remember the name of the game but after 20 minutes I got over my curiosity.  I'll still probably end up getting one eventually because I'm not at all well in the head, but man that add-on had some terrible games on it.   

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #398 on: March 26, 2018, 01:44:39 pm »
Heh.... meanwhile us smart kids were playing Super Nintendo.  No load times.  ;)
I had a SNES too, can't play Willy Beamish or Snatcher on it.

Genesis didn't have load times either /shrug

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #399 on: March 26, 2018, 02:02:34 pm »
We played a lot of Silpheed and Final Fight.  Ton of crap for Sega CD but some very good stuff, too.