Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Nintendo is bringing back the SNES — SNES Classic Edition  (Read 73656 times)

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
Re: Nintendo is bringing back the SNES — SNES Classic Edition
« Reply #320 on: January 31, 2018, 09:13:32 pm »
Thanks guys.  I was thinking about returning mine and hadn't heard of the dual boot option.  I'm back in.

:cheers:

Loafmeister

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 08, 2020, 03:21:17 am
« Reply #321 on: February 01, 2018, 10:35:06 am »
Dual boot + USB support = awesome

Looks like the innards of this thing can even support psp emulation.  Maybe not 100% full speed but with some games, surprisingly close!

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:58:22 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #322 on: February 07, 2018, 12:28:08 am »
So I was high bidder on a Genesis Flashback HD.  More clutter I didn’t need.  Stay tuned... I guess.   :P

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #323 on: February 07, 2018, 02:08:46 am »
I've been resisting the urge on that one.  Be sure to let us know. 

Btw... In regards to the dual booting and usb host, ect.....  Has anyone tried to put a front-end image on a usb stick and re-skin it so that when the stick is inserted it boots to a new gui?  That'd be the way to do other consoles imho... skin them so they look different. 

gamepimp

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 10, 2024, 01:38:47 pm
« Reply #324 on: February 07, 2018, 08:04:55 am »
So I was high bidder on a Genesis Flashback HD.  More clutter I didn’t need.  Stay tuned... I guess.   :P

You will probably be interested in this topic regarding hacking that system:

https://gbatemp.net/threads/sega-megadrive-genesis-flashback-mini-hd-with-an-usb-on-internal-mother-board.491498/

I've been very tempted to pick up one of these systems. However, I read in another forum that AT Games is going to make improvements on the console for 2018. So I think I'm going to hold out for the newer version. I've already got too much stuff on my plate right now with hacking all these Nintendo mini systems anyway. LOL!

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #325 on: February 07, 2018, 10:04:00 am »
Hm... interesting thread, I hadn't seen that one.  I really don't intend to do much besides tweak the game list a little bit.

The systems are popping up fairly cheap on the Goodwill auction site.

https://www.shopgoodwill.com/Listings?st=Genesis%20Flashback&sg=&c=&s=&lp=0&hp=999999

Given the condition of the things (untouched) this leads me to believe a bunch were donated as tax write offs....

JDFan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #326 on: February 07, 2018, 10:41:49 am »
Given the condition of the things (untouched) this leads me to believe a bunch were donated as tax write offs....

Probably a retailer that bought stock that didn't sell during Xmas - so they donated them to the local Goodwill in order to get them out of the store, since they could get more in tax savings than they would heavily discounting them for clearance.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #327 on: February 07, 2018, 10:45:40 am »
Yes.... obviously....    :lol

Osirus23

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 23, 2021, 01:33:52 pm
« Reply #328 on: February 07, 2018, 11:08:26 am »
Egad what are those controllers??

Loafmeister

• Offline Offline
« Reply #329 on: February 07, 2018, 10:05:28 pm »
Snes Classic: Finally got the USB Host working.  Very cool, impressed that PSX games are working near perfect.  ie: every now and then you might hear an audio stutter or a little frame rate stutter but really it's just about perfect and certainly good enough.  My only issue is that right now, it's a royal pain in the behind to add a game via USB because when you do, you have to re-export EVERTHING, so imagine you have 10 PSX games on the USB, well if you add one, you are re-adding the other 10 again too.  At least it seems that way to me. I'm sure they'll figure out eventually. Still impressive though, can't believe the coolness.  On the negative side, man there was a heck of a lot more dithering in PSX games then I remembered. That's the problem with playing PSX games on a 75" 4K TV LOL.  Still, Road Rash is still super fun and I'm probably in a minority but I LOVE Konami's International Track and Field on the PSX and it works great!

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #330 on: February 08, 2018, 02:22:32 pm »
Yeah the dithering is due to the psx's inferior hardware.  The n64 was actually much, much better in that regard with a bunch of texture filters available at the hardware level.   If it had a cd drive it would have essentially been a dreamcast a full generation before the dreamcast in terms of the quality of games it could have done. 

I'm not surprised that the psx runs well, because, again, the hardware on the psx was pretty sub-standard.  People on think it was powerful in comparison to the n64 because it's cd drive allowed for much larger textures and back in the low poly days textures really helped a poor model.  The psp emulation surprises me though... it's fairly powerful for that arm processor to pull off. 

You've got to watch those goodwill auctions guys..... it'll look like a deal until you inspect the auction further and they want $20 for processing and handling. 

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #331 on: February 08, 2018, 02:42:06 pm »
PS1 was 100% emulated on original Xbox, so I'm always surprised that people are surprised it can be emulated on newer devices.

:dunno

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #332 on: February 08, 2018, 02:49:58 pm »
PS1 was 100% emulated on original Xbox, so I'm always surprised that people are surprised it can be emulated on newer devices.

Yeah and what was that?  About a 700mhz processor with 64 megs of ram?

If anything I'm surprised that the snes classic is having stuttering problems with it.... must be an optimization problem.

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:02:12 am
« Reply #333 on: February 08, 2018, 09:47:22 pm »

Pretty sure it's 100% on RPI3 with up-scaling.

bootsector

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 29, 2018, 12:48:52 am
« Reply #334 on: February 09, 2018, 02:42:48 am »
kevtris' FPGA SNES implementation on the  Analog Super Nt console makes Nintendo SNES Classic look like a chinese knock-off.

An FPGA implementation should have been the way to go for Nintendo since the beginning.

kevtris does what Nintendon't!

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #335 on: February 09, 2018, 12:10:17 pm »
It's $200 freaking dollars and not even out yet.   ::)

JDFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #336 on: February 09, 2018, 12:46:50 pm »

That's the cheaper clone not the Kevtris aluminum model he was talking about which was a mere $578 !

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/analogue-nt-mini-nes-famicoms-final-form-kevtris-fpga-aluminum-1080p-449.1338669/
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 12:49:20 pm by JDFan »

bootsector

• Offline Offline
« Reply #337 on: February 09, 2018, 01:50:36 pm »
Despite it's being advertised as pre-order, they are shipping right away and there are people receiving them already. IMHO, $200 for a HDMI, "high-fidelity" and upgradeable FPGA SNES is super cheap! My body is ready for a Sega Genesis FPGA implementation from kevtris!  :cheers:

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #338 on: February 09, 2018, 02:09:14 pm »
Well with respect then, you are ill-informed.  The snes has native rgb out, with a 8 dollar cable and a 20-30 dollar scart 2 hdmi adapter you have hdmi out on the actual hardware, not some inferior clone. 

The nes is a special case because the chips on board only allow for composite out, but the snes is rgb ready and rgb consoles don't need an hdmi clone. 

Also, since someone will chime in, I'm getting sick of the incorrect assumption that, because it's fpga that the hardware isn't emulated like lesser quality clones.  Of course it's emulated.... it's merely emulated via hardware instead of being emulated via software.  I'm not saying the implementation is bad, but the only way to get a 100% accurate hardware experience is to run the real hardware, so that argument is doa.

So since it's factually correct that any snes that isn't a real snes isn't as accurate as a real snes, why pay 200 bucks for a clone when you can get an officially licensed emulation box for 80 or buy the real hardware with hdmi out for under 100?

It's cool if you want one, it isn't a totally unreasonable price like the analog nt was, but you can't make the argument that it's better than some of the other options out there because it isn't. 

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #339 on: February 09, 2018, 02:32:30 pm »
I’m not a fan of Analogue ever since they were sacking original NES’s PPUs for their $500 aluminum hipster trophy, the Mini NT. These guys are shady af, but I can say that with Kevtris behind this Super NT, it could be a decent clone.

But I gotta play devil’s advocate here:

Well with respect then, you are ill-informed.  The snes has native rgb out, with a 8 dollar cable and a 20-30 dollar scart 2 hdmi adapter you have hdmi out on the actual hardware, not some inferior clone. 
Those scart 2 HDMI adapters are all ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- for lag and sometimes have sync issues, as well there are so many clones you don’t really know what you’re getting. I wouldn’t trust those cheap Chinese scalers for anything. Also you get no options with that setup: no scanlines, no image adjustments, no frills.

Your arguement for superior snes experiences should have begun and ended with CRT, not some low-rent Chinese hardware that can be hit or miss with quality.

Also, since someone will chime in, I'm getting sick of the incorrect assumption that, because it's fpga that the hardware isn't emulated like lesser quality clones.  Of course it's emulated.... it's merely emulated via hardware instead of being emulated via software.  I'm not saying the implementation is bad, but the only way to get a 100% accurate hardware experience is to run the real hardware, so that argument is doa.
Blah blah blah. The overhead and processing is less on an fpga which will be more accurate than anything software emulated.
Is it exactly like the original? No. But it’s one notch down and a hellava lot more accurate than people running things off a piece of crap Pi.

So since it's factually correct that any snes that isn't a real snes isn't as accurate as a real snes, why pay 200 bucks for a clone when you can get an officially licensed emulation box for 80 or buy the real hardware with hdmi out for under 100?

It's cool if you want one, it isn't a totally unreasonable price like the analog nt was, but you can't make the argument that it's better than some of the other options out there because it isn't.

Arguements made. Deal with it. It *could* be the best thing next to original hardware (with a proper scaler), but all-in-all, analogue isn’t getting my money. They lost me when they pulled that BS with the NES Mini NT.

bootsector

• Offline Offline
« Reply #340 on: February 09, 2018, 02:37:03 pm »
So since it's factually correct that any snes that isn't a real snes isn't as accurate as a real snes, why pay 200 bucks for a clone when you can get an officially licensed emulation box for 80 or buy the real hardware with hdmi out for under 100?...
Because the official emulator is a piece of crap that can't even play Yoshi's Island correctly? It's a shame, but in this case, a clone has surpassed the official hardware (SNES Classic).

Loafmeister

• Offline Offline
« Reply #341 on: February 09, 2018, 02:51:05 pm »
Yeah the dithering is due to the psx's inferior hardware.  The n64 was actually much, much better in that regard with a bunch of texture filters available at the hardware level.   If it had a cd drive it would have essentially been a dreamcast a full generation before the dreamcast in terms of the quality of games it could have done. 

I'm not surprised that the psx runs well, because, again, the hardware on the psx was pretty sub-standard.  People on think it was powerful in comparison to the n64 because it's cd drive allowed for much larger textures and back in the low poly days textures really helped a poor model.  The psp emulation surprises me though... it's fairly powerful for that arm processor to pull off. 

You've got to watch those goodwill auctions guys..... it'll look like a deal until you inspect the auction further and they want $20 for processing and handling.

Dithering: resolved via turning off the dithering option that was set to "on"

I think the n64 was a superb system but a n64 with a CD drive does not come close to being essentially a dreamcast unless you see dreamcast games as being super blocky in architecture.  I swear your love of Nintendo clouds your common sense sometime.  I don't think the n64 had the power to do the level of detail on polygon.  For sure it would have beaten the psx for looks but dreamcast?  Only in a Star Trek alternate reality

Edit:  you might like this Howard :).
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 02:53:29 pm by Loafmeister »

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #342 on: February 09, 2018, 02:56:29 pm »
Nothing like a good BYOAC slapfight.

:hissy

I always love how every clone/repro/bootleg is 'crap' because it doesn't emulate some specific game that nobody cares about.  Yoshi's Island?  ---fudgesicle---'s sake. 

If you're gagging that bad to play one specific game, stick to original hardware.

bootsector

• Offline Offline
« Reply #343 on: February 09, 2018, 03:02:12 pm »
Nothing like a good BYOAC slapfight.

:hissy

I always love how every clone/repro/bootleg is 'crap' because it doesn't emulate some specific game that nobody cares about.  Yoshi's Island?  ---fudgesicle---'s sake. 

If you're gagging that bad to play one specific game, stick to original hardware.
Are you following me? I said the original hardware/software (the SNES Classic from Nintendo itself) can't play Yoshi's Island correctly. And I don't even care about this game. What I'm saying is that it should be Nintendo the one to put the love on its products, not the hackers with their FPGA clones.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #344 on: February 09, 2018, 03:03:32 pm »
Is there any issue besides a slight stutter on the title screen?

bootsector

• Offline Offline
« Reply #345 on: February 09, 2018, 03:05:09 pm »
Is there any issue besides a slight stutter on the title screen?
Yes, at some stage at first world, when you get those stuff that look like snowflakes and everything gets distorted. The background glitches on the SNES classic.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #346 on: February 09, 2018, 03:08:50 pm »
Meh.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #347 on: February 09, 2018, 03:28:31 pm »
Yeah and on the NES classic a few sounds in some games are imperceptibly off.  Nobody who actually just wants to play the games cares. 

Like I said, if your argument is that it's more accurate then the logical conclusion would be to use a real snes that is 100% accurate.  If you are saying accuracy doesn't matter, then why pay more for something that still isn't 100% accurate?  Logically neither route makes sense, but you guys keep convincing yourselves that your over-priced purchases are justified in some way beyond just wanting the thing. 

It's ok to just want the thing.  I wanted the snes classic because it was the only way to legally get Star Fox II so I feel that in a few years time it will be valuable.  The truth is that it very well might not.... I just wanted it.  It's best to be honest guys.... you just want it, that's ok.

Osirus23

• Offline Offline
« Reply #348 on: February 09, 2018, 06:22:47 pm »
SNES Classic is cheap and can run a lot more than just SNES, with the mods discussed here.

Can I do the same with this overpriced FPGA?

bootsector

• Offline Offline
« Reply #349 on: February 09, 2018, 06:55:08 pm »
SNES Classic is cheap and can run a lot more than just SNES, with the mods discussed here.

Can I do the same with this overpriced FPGA?
Consider the overpriced FPGA SNES a SNES that can do pure HDMI. So you will be able to do with it the same you'd do with a SNES plus a good upscaler.

There's a chance kevtris releases unofficial firmwares for it though, allowing it to simulate several other 8 and 16 bit systems.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #350 on: February 09, 2018, 11:05:42 pm »
Except there's the whole thing about needing a cart and it being fashioned into a snes, ect, so nope, try again, but that's for playing!  Contestants on "Justify Your Purchase" all receive a years supply of Rice-a-Roni.  Rice-a-Roni, the san-Francisco treat!

bigster

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 16, 2022, 08:24:40 pm
« Reply #351 on: February 13, 2018, 11:10:35 am »
You don't need carts for the jailbroken nes nt mini.  I wanted one so bad but then I remembered it is year 2018, I don't got time to make it through a whole game of mega man in one sitting.  Besides the ease of use of the classics, the thing that killed nt in my mind was lack of save states.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #352 on: February 13, 2018, 11:22:44 am »
Those NTs occupy a very weird niche.  People that insist upon original cartridges... but that aren't using CRTs.... and don't want any of the modern conveniences.

I sure there's dozens of potential customers out there.

Osirus23

• Offline Offline
« Reply #353 on: February 13, 2018, 12:45:21 pm »
I'll just wait for the Coleco Chameleon. I hear it plays back SNES carts just like the original hardware.

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:41:53 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #354 on: February 13, 2018, 01:17:12 pm »
Those NTs occupy a very weird niche.  People that insist upon original cartridges... but that aren't using CRTs.... and don't want any of the modern conveniences.

I sure there's dozens of potential customers out there.

I know, it's like

I WANT PERFECT EMULATION NO EXCEPTIONS!

*plays on a 55" LCD with 200ms of screen lag.*

NOICE!

:banghead:

I'll just wait for the Coleco Chameleon. I hear it plays back SNES carts just like the original hardware.

I'll just play on my SNES which plays just like original hardware, cause it is. I know of the shortcomings of using original hardware, and I'm fine with that.

all these things tend to do is get casual players playing the game system... and that's great. this is not for actual classic console players.  If you want it to look and act like you are playing SNES on a CRT...actually DO it. Buy a console and a CRT and play it as it's intended. No amount of farting around is going to make 90's technology and tricks used to make it look good...look okay on a modern display.

if you want a plug and play solution to play on your flat panel drunk with your buds on the weekends, buy a classic system or one of the new FPGA systems and ignore the screen issues, lag, graphical problems and whatever else kids these day complain about and be done with it.

so tell me again why we are swapping out one set of problems which aren't really a problem for people who care, for another set that ARE a problem.... to cater to people who don't REALLY give a crap about authenticity anyways?  people who care about how their game plays and how it looks already have their solution.

JDFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #355 on: February 13, 2018, 01:23:34 pm »

I'll just play on my SNES which plays just like original hardware, cause it is. I know of the shortcomings of using original hardware, and I'm fine with that.

Are you familiar with the Chameleon Kickstarter fiasco he mentions ? -- evidently it was actually a prototype made using the original Nintendo hardware hidden inside to fool people - so technically was using the original hardware !

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #356 on: February 13, 2018, 01:57:25 pm »
"At first, people were concerned why games were played on the Coleco Chameleon using a Super NES controller. More questions raised on the amount of black electrical tape on the console. According to the AtariAge forum, the prototype was nothing more than the motherboard of a Super NES model SNS-101 inside an Atari Jaguar case, using a flash cartridge to emulate Super NES games. Pictures comparing the Super NES motherboard to the official picture of the Coleco Chameleon proved to be identical. The official Retro VGS Facebook page took the photo down shortly thereafter."

My god, it reminds me of this..

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:41:53 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #357 on: February 13, 2018, 02:01:58 pm »

Are you familiar with the Chameleon Kickstarter fiasco he mentions ? -- evidently it was actually a prototype made using the original Nintendo hardware hidden inside to fool people - so technically was using the original hardware !

was that other one that they were buying SNES's and sacrificing the PPU and other chips out of them to use them in their system board or was that a different one?

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #358 on: February 13, 2018, 02:28:27 pm »
all these things tend to do is get casual players playing the game system... and that's great. this is not for actual classic console players.  If you want it to look and act like you are playing SNES on a CRT...actually DO it. Buy a console and a CRT and play it as it's intended. No amount of farting around is going to make 90's technology and tricks used to make it look good...look okay on a modern display.
If only life were so black and white.

I myself had to ditch my larger CRT when I moved to a smaller apartment, kept my smaller 14" one but I only use it for PCB testing and most of the time it sits in a closet.
For people who live in Texas or Pennsylvania or whatever inland area, keeping a CRT is easy. You all got tons of space, and on the cheap!  I hate seeing those house hunter shows my wife watches when the couple looking for a home are in places like Texas and they're scoffing at a $300,000 large house being too expensive, I'm like f**k right the hell off. Try paying $800,000+ on a small bungalow home on the west coast.

Playing on original consoles with a good (not cheap ebay chinese ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---) upscaler, and a high response gaming monitor is totally acceptable for those actual classic gamers you speak of. I'm running my original consoles through an OSSC, connected to a Benq Zowie which is the monitor used at most fighting game tournaments now. It feels good and responsive and only takes a small footprint of space on my 4' wide desk.

Another problem these days with CRT's is that all the hipsters are buying them up, trying to chase that real classic gamer lifestyle they see being so cool. At least the good CRT's. Or if you're in a dense urban location, I've heard people complain that finding CRT's now are getting more difficult.

so tell me again why we are swapping out one set of problems which aren't really a problem for people who care, for another set that ARE a problem.... to cater to people who don't REALLY give a crap about authenticity anyways?  people who care about how their game plays and how it looks already have their solution.
You lost me on the first sentence.

But I want to ask what you think authenticity is?  In North America we think authentic is hooking our old consoles to a CRT through either RF or Composite Video, with all the grain and A/V noise and we call it the truest. But think about people in Europe that grew up with the same old consoles, they were connecting their gear to CRT's that accepted clean RGB. So for them, the ugly noise and grain that we deemed the true experience is wrong.  It's all relative, man.

Point being, we can sit here and judge people on buying one thing or another, but in the end...who cares?  It's not my money. I'm not going to buy it, so what does it really matter.  We can sit all high and mighty being keyboard warriors and casting judgements down on the plebeians, but at the end of the day we're all just looking to play games on our own terms.

Buy what you dig, dig what you buy.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #359 on: February 13, 2018, 03:34:04 pm »
It's not so much judging as informing less...well...informed.... people that might run across this thread on why buying "console X"  might not be the best way to go.  I don't care what anyone does with their money, until maybe someone on a budget gets tricked into buying a "superior" product when, in fact, it is nothing of the sort.

Like you said, it is impractical these days for the average joe to run consoles on a quality crt, but there are plenty of ways to get a quality picture without forking over 200 bucks for a single console.  Even if you insist that the Chinese up-scalers are crap (they aren't, you just had a bad experience with one) at least when you buy the more expensive ones that investment is going to apply to your entire console collection and not a single clone.  Then again, if a person insists on getting the NT then good on them, I hope they enjoy it. 

Yeah those hipsters piss me off.... wearing their fedoras on vacation and stuff.  :)