Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Nintendo is bringing back the SNES — SNES Classic Edition  (Read 73658 times)

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
Re: Nintendo is bringing back the SNES — SNES Classic Edition
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2017, 08:43:38 pm »
Maybe, maybe not.  If it were a more reputable website I would have more confidence in the announcement.  I'm torn on that one.  On the one hand a snes mini would have a classic 6-button gamepad that would make it more friendly to hacking in other systems.  On the other I've got rgb out on my snes and it looks quite good and my super everdrive is on the way. 

The thing is they make them so darn cheap.  If it's real I'll probably get one just to throw on a shelf.  An expensive nick-nack sure, but when it's functional and sanctioned by Nintendo it's kind of special.

In the meantime I think I'll dig through some of the "gamepad to i2c" code out on the interwebs and add support for more exotic systems like the virtual boy.  I bought one, but boy it kills my eyes even more than when I used to play the Hills kiosk as a kid.  Sitting back in front of the big screen probably makes more sense. 

thomas_surles

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 19, 2023, 07:20:00 pm
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2017, 09:21:35 pm »
I saw a picture of the super famicom mini nox on facebook with game titles on the box. The list was super mario world, link to the past, street fighter 2, and starfox.

Doubt its was real though.

thomas_surles

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2017, 09:29:15 pm »
I guess it wasnt the super famicom version. Here is the pic i saw.
If this is really the game list though that kinda sucks. I mean all of those are good choices but they are leaving out some good ones. Gotta have chrono trigger, kirby, donkey kong country trilogy,  mortal kombat 2, battletoads, and secret of mana.

gamepimp

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 10, 2024, 01:38:47 pm
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2017, 09:41:26 pm »
Hopefully if they do end up selling a "classic" version of the SNES, it will get hacked so that the whole game library can get squeezed on there like the NES version.  ;)

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2017, 09:55:39 pm »
Unless they expand the storage capacity that is unlikely.  They could (and probably would to save costs) use the exact same board for the snes version and while 300mb is more than enough for a massive nes library, the snes game collection is a few gigs.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2017, 03:11:10 am »
Ide believe it.
But only because it makes sense.

They have seen a opportunity and now exploiting it to the max.

Personally ide rather a real SNES with a ever drive but thats just me :)

gamepimp

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 10, 2024, 01:38:47 pm
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2017, 08:16:38 am »
Unless they expand the storage capacity that is unlikely.  They could (and probably would to save costs) use the exact same board for the snes version and while 300mb is more than enough for a massive nes library, the snes game collection is a few gigs.

That's true. The game library is quite a bit bigger. That said, hopefully a decent chunk of it could fit on there. Especially if you take out region duplicates and some of the stuff that isn't very good. I do agree that having the original SNES with RGB out and an Everdrive or SD2SNES would be more ideal. However, if they offer preorders for the classic SNES and it's only $60, that would be quite a bargain to be able to play so many awesome games in a pretty convenient package...

thomas_surles

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2017, 09:24:01 am »
So the us snes library is about 656mb for 765 games. That would mean you could fit anywhere from 250 to 350 roms on this thing, which is more than enough to have all the best games. I assume its emulated so i hope it supports speacial fx chip games. My everdrive doesn't play super mario rpg, star fox, yoshies island, and 2 kirby games, sd o i hope the mini supports them.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:58:22 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2017, 09:50:57 am »
I only speak from experience at a recent video game "swap meet" but it was maybe 70% NES, 20% N64, 5% SNES, 5% Other (Atari/Genesis/whatever).  I think demand is going to be considerably cooler for an SNES Classic.

:dunno

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2017, 10:43:20 am »
I only speak from experience at a recent video game "swap meet" but it was maybe 70% NES, 20% N64, 5% SNES, 5% Other (Atari/Genesis/whatever).  I think demand is going to be considerably cooler for an SNES Classic.

I agree.  There doesn't seem to be the nostalgia for the SNES there is with the NES.  Most civilians can't tell them apart.

thomas_surles

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2017, 10:48:35 am »
I thought the snes was the greatest console of all time.

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2017, 11:15:58 am »
I thought the snes was the greatest console of all time.

It is one of my favorites and certainly better than the NES.  I still remember the first time I noticed that Zelda was in stereo.  Seems quaint now but hearing a pot you threw at a wall on the left break in the left speaker was amazing.

SuperGojira2001

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 20, 2017, 05:14:53 pm
  • Trying to learn...
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2017, 11:34:42 am »
Nintendo is probably going to pull the same  :censored: with the NES Classic and favor scalpers. These little devices are to just hype up Nintendo and the Switch unfortunately. Also It's cool the NES Classic got modded, but realistically it makes more sense to just get a Pi and setup RetroPie.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2017, 11:38:53 am »
Most of what I was interested in playing in the 16 bit era were ports of arcade games.  This favored the Genesis.  MAME has rendered them obsolete.  Most of the role playing games have been redone in better forms on other consoles and my interest in those is virtually nil.

Hopefully I'll actually be able to get my hands on one, and then mod it to play NES games.   :lol

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2017, 02:06:16 pm »
Yeah the classics on the SNES is a bit limited. Mostly the Nintendo titles,  Castlevania 4, Megaman X series and that's it.  The rest are arcade ports. The game pad would make it great for MAME though.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2017, 03:47:58 pm »
But, what about Axelay? And R-Type III?

Also TMNT:Turtles in Time was a superior version on SNES than the arcade, as well as UN Squadron.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2017, 04:03:16 pm »
Huh, I had no idea there were so many differences with Turtles in Time.  I'll have to give the SNES version a shot.  I've never played the arcade game for more than a few minutes as it never had the nostalgia punch that the first one did.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2017, 04:21:53 pm »
Yeah, throwing foot soldiers directly at the screen (using the mode-7 scaling of the SNES) is one of the most satisfying things to do in any game!

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2017, 04:32:04 pm »
F-Zero on the SNES might be my all-time favorite "racing" game. 

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2017, 04:33:11 pm »
Ick, really?  I had the misfortune of playing that last weekend at the Game Preserve on one of those dopey SNES cabinets.  Walked away halfway through lap 1.

thomas_surles

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2017, 04:34:12 pm »
Uniracers!

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2017, 04:39:40 pm »
Uniracers!

Had to Bing that one.   ;D

Ick, really?  I had the misfortune of playing that last weekend at the Game Preserve on one of those dopey SNES cabinets.  Walked away halfway through lap 1.

Seriously.  I even bought it for my WiiU but I can't stand playing it unless I have an original controller. 

thomas_surles

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2017, 04:44:07 pm »
Uniracers!

Had to Bing that one.   ;D

Seriously.  I even bought it for my WiiU but I can't stand playing it unless I have an original controller.
Bro first switch to google, second go play uniracers. It is the shizz. Unfortunately they got sued by pixar so it will not be making an appearance again.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2017, 05:11:42 pm »

Intresting...

Most people I talk to barely remember the NES its always the SNES or the N64 they seem to talk about with regard Nintendo.
Mega Drive/Genesis was also very popular over here.

thomas_surles

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2017, 05:27:03 pm »

Intresting...

Most people I talk to barely remember the NES its always the SNES or the N64 they seem to talk about with regard Nintendo.
Mega Drive/Genesis was also very popular over here.
Same here but i was born in 91 so thats what most of my friends had,

smass

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 09, 2024, 07:46:54 pm
  • Cheapskate Arcade
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2017, 08:21:33 pm »
Nostalgia all depends on what you played when you were a kid.  I was an Atari 2600 kid.  Warlords 4 player ftw.

On topic, if I saw either the NES Classic or the SNES classic on a shelf for regular price I would buy them in a hot minute.  I have all these systems emulated of course, but the cool factor of an actual Nintendo product would be too hard to resist.  Too bad the company doesn't give a damn.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2017, 02:06:27 am »
I played both NES and SNES as a kid (ime a 80's kid lol) but always think of the SNES first.

It was just a better console in every respect and most of the games I played on NES were on SNES anyway.
But I always preferred the mega drive personally.

Atari etc were funny ones really as not many people I knew had one. I had a C64 and my bestie had a Atari but cant remember which model.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2017, 01:49:55 pm »
Objectively the NES is a better system with a better library.  Why?  Well, for the first time developers had a popular console that had powerful enough hardware to make virtually any type of multi-stage game.  But that concept was brand new, so they didn't know what types of games to make.  What happened was they tried anything and everything, throwing ideas at the wall to see what stuck.  So in the end the NES had a varied and unique library.  Also the market was about 90% Nintendo, so virtually anything worth playing that generation was on the NES. 

The SNES is just a NES on steroids.  By this time developers had narrowed their vision and took less risks to maximize profit.  Basically every game on the system was a beat-em-up or a Super Mario clone, and most of the SM clones sucked.  The thing it did have going for it were superior arcade ports, and while that mattered then, it really doesn't now as most of those games are just better in MAME. 

That doesn't mean that I don't love the snes, I do, and I probably spent more time on the snes as a kid, but if were are going to compare them ignoring nostalgia, it's a no-brainer. 

Also people from the UK can't really comment on the NES because it didn't catch on in that region.  You were all heavily invested in lousy non-ibm PCs, playing games developed by 4 guys in a basement.  ;)

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2017, 02:22:21 pm »
Objectively the NES is a better system with a better library.  Why?  Well, for the first time developers had a popular console that had powerful enough hardware to make virtually any type of multi-stage game.  But that concept was brand new, so they didn't know what types of games to make.  What happened was they tried anything and everything, throwing ideas at the wall to see what stuck.  So in the end the NES had a varied and unique library.  Also the market was about 90% Nintendo, so virtually anything worth playing that generation was on the NES. 

The SNES is just a NES on steroids.  By this time developers had narrowed their vision and took less risks to maximize profit.  Basically every game on the system was a beat-em-up or a Super Mario clone, and most of the SM clones sucked.  The thing it did have going for it were superior arcade ports, and while that mattered then, it really doesn't now as most of those games are just better in MAME. 

That doesn't mean that I don't love the snes, I do, and I probably spent more time on the snes as a kid, but if were are going to compare them ignoring nostalgia, it's a no-brainer. 

Also people from the UK can't really comment on the NES because it didn't catch on in that region.  You were all heavily invested in lousy non-ibm PCs, playing games developed by 4 guys in a basement.  ;)

I can comment on them as I owned one as did many of my friends ;)

The fact it has a huge library of many terrible games is not a pro for me!

I rather quality of quantity.

Dont get me wrong I love the NES, and the gaming world owes much to it, Even the very existence of it possibly!

But the controllers were horrid (lets be honest rectangular controllers are badly designed!) and the best games of the system made it to the SNES anyway.

You can ignore nostalgia but you cant really compare old consoles with hindsight.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2017, 04:36:50 pm »
The NES gamepad is the perfect gamepad.  All gamepads are descendants of it.  What you just said is blasphemy.  The rectangular shape will only bother you if you have some kind of death grip on the gamepad, in which case you are doing it wrong... it lies in your cupped hands while you press buttons... you don't grip it. 

The best games of the system didn't make it to the snes.  Their sequels did.  For the most part, the originals were better.  SMB 3 is better than SMW.  The nes mega mans are better than mmx.  You know that open-world, no rules Zelda that just came out where you could got anywhere and do anything in virtually any order?  That is what the original LOZ is like... LTTP and subsequent sequels became increasingly linear.  I think Castlevania IV might be better than the originals, but it's really just a 16 bit remake of the first game.  I think it's a solid argument than Super Metroid is better than the original, but then again, much like Zelda, the lack of a map and explicit instructions or directions made the original more fun imho. 

And you say you want quality over quantity, well so do I, and that's why the NES is better.  SMW, Super Metroid, and LTTP are quality games..... and.... yeah that's about it.  The rest are excellent arcade ports, games that have since been surpassed by more modern sequels, or games that really don't live up to their sequels and/or have an equally good nes game in their anthology.  Doesn't matter anyway as Nintendo would only include ~30 games.

I played the snes longer and I had a ton of fun with it, but looking back, aside from Super Mario World and a few oddball gems like that it was mostly a machine for me to play Street Fighter II and Mortal Kombat II with my friends.  I play those on MAME now.  Looking back at the NES, after rental shops went into full swing were were playing at least one new game a week for about 8 years!  Some of them were crap sure, but the bulk were really good and it was exciting to see what each game was like because they were all so different. 

Also you've got to understand that these sorts of products are not for us, they are for the casuals.  Sure having played LTTP and LOZ multiple times over the years you might prefer LTTP, but they person who has never played either, or hasn't played them in 25 years, they might get more enjoyment out of the original due to the harder challenge. 

Anyway the discussion is rather pointless, I'll be just as excited about the SNES classic as you guys. 

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2017, 04:49:06 pm »
You know, there are a LOT of third party manufacturers with a LOT of unsold NES Classic accessories that they're stuck with.  Stock up, Howard, they're gonna be 10 cents shipped soon.

:lol

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2017, 05:12:28 pm »
You guys are forgetting the RPG genre of the SNES/SFC. Some of the greatest RPGs of all time are on that system, and while that doesn't matter to most of this crowd, it was a significant time for game development.
Yes there were NES rpg's, but they were vastly improved upon in the SNES and have influenced a lot of modern games of every genre today.

But for the most part I agree with Howard. A lot of the original non-RPGs were better with a few exceptions. That's not to sell the system short though. I still love the SNES, but for different reasons I love the NES.

For more lofty experience games I prefer the SNES. But for quick skill based games I prefer the NES.

There's a lot of charm put into the NES games that was lost for SNES, but at the same time the breadth of games and advancement in sprite art and capabilities for the SNES was charming itself.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2017, 05:18:58 pm »
The NES gamepad is the perfect gamepad.  All gamepads are descendants of it.  What you just said is blasphemy.  The rectangular shape will only bother you if you have some kind of death grip on the gamepad, in which case you are doing it wrong... it lies in your cupped hands while you press buttons... you don't grip it. 

The best games of the system didn't make it to the snes.  Their sequels did.  For the most part, the originals were better.  SMB 3 is better than SMW.  The nes mega mans are better than mmx.  You know that open-world, no rules Zelda that just came out where you could got anywhere and do anything in virtually any order?  That is what the original LOZ is like... LTTP and subsequent sequels became increasingly linear.  I think Castlevania IV might be better than the originals, but it's really just a 16 bit remake of the first game.  I think it's a solid argument than Super Metroid is better than the original, but then again, much like Zelda, the lack of a map and explicit instructions or directions made the original more fun imho. 

And you say you want quality over quantity, well so do I, and that's why the NES is better.  SMW, Super Metroid, and LTTP are quality games..... and.... yeah that's about it.  The rest are excellent arcade ports, games that have since been surpassed by more modern sequels, or games that really don't live up to their sequels and/or have an equally good nes game in their anthology.  Doesn't matter anyway as Nintendo would only include ~30 games.

I played the snes longer and I had a ton of fun with it, but looking back, aside from Super Mario World and a few oddball gems like that it was mostly a machine for me to play Street Fighter II and Mortal Kombat II with my friends.  I play those on MAME now.  Looking back at the NES, after rental shops went into full swing were were playing at least one new game a week for about 8 years!  Some of them were crap sure, but the bulk were really good and it was exciting to see what each game was like because they were all so different. 

Also you've got to understand that these sorts of products are not for us, they are for the casuals.  Sure having played LTTP and LOZ multiple times over the years you might prefer LTTP, but they person who has never played either, or hasn't played them in 25 years, they might get more enjoyment out of the original due to the harder challenge. 

Anyway the discussion is rather pointless, I'll be just as excited about the SNES classic as you guys.

1) nope, the controllers were horrid. Other controllers may or may not of evolved from them but rectangular was a very poor choice.
Mega drive controllers and SNES controllers sat much better in the hands.

2) As I remember it Mario 1-3 was on the SNES in Super Mario Allstars plus others...

3) Nothing wrong with good arcade ports, like I said you cant compare a old console to mame with hindsight.
The ability to play MK and SF2 and others were one of the main reasons I got a SNES.

But yes I agree they are not for us, And I would not buy one unless very cheap but thats another matter :)

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2017, 06:28:39 pm »
I didn't care for the square shape, which is why I prefer the dogbone controller. But the buttons and D-pad were top notch. The snes d-pad and buttons are the evolution of the NES, but I still think the NES' felt better.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2017, 08:23:13 pm »
Yup, the throw and overall feel of the NES gamepad is superior.  The snes pad's dpad and buttons feel a little mushy.  I've got them both right here (*presses buttons*) yup... the nes pad is better.  The dogbone kind of sucks though.  The buttons are diagonal, but slanted in the wrong direction, making it ergonomically awkward to press both buttons at once.   

Mario all Stars is not the nes games.  They are remakes and just aren't the same.  Also the game genie codes aren't as good and 50% of the SMB games is doing crazy stuff via game genie. 

There is nothing wrong with good arcade ports at the time but now most arcade games are readily accessible... not just via emulators and hacking, but just downloading then through services like xbox live, or steam, ect.  It's kind of like pacman and galaga on the NES classic.... two wasted slots imho as you can get them on everything from your cell phone to frikkin google doodles.  The Donkey Kong games as well, but I give them a pass as Nintendo has never really released the arcade versions on anything.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 01:43:45 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2017, 09:41:44 pm »
+1 for NES controller as best ever.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2017, 09:56:33 pm »
You know, there are a LOT of third party manufacturers with a LOT of unsold NES Classic accessories that they're stuck with.  Stock up, Howard, they're gonna be 10 cents shipped soon.

:lol

I'm gonna get one of those advantage knock-offs eventually.  As you said, I'm waiting for the price to drop.  One of the carrying cases could be nice I guess, but this baby isn't going anywhere.... when I'm done playing it it'll go in the World of Nintendo case I'm building.  Been thinking of printing to scale power gloves and zappers to throw in there as well.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2017, 02:39:06 am »
Yup, the throw and overall feel of the NES gamepad is superior.  The snes pad's dpad and buttons feel a little mushy.  I've got them both right here (*presses buttons*) yup... the nes pad is better.  The dogbone kind of sucks though.  The buttons are diagonal, but slanted in the wrong direction, making it ergonomically awkward to press both buttons at once.   

Mario all Stars is not the nes games.  They are remakes and just aren't the same.  Also the game genie codes aren't as good and 50% of the SMB games is doing crazy stuff via game genie. 

There is nothing wrong with good arcade ports at the time but now most arcade games are readily accessible... not just via emulators and hacking, but just downloading then through services like xbox live, or steam, ect.  It's kind of like pacman and galaga on the NES classic.... two wasted slots imho as you can get them on everything from your cell phone to frikkin google doodles.  The Donkey Kong games as well, but I give them a pass as Nintendo has never really released the arcade versions on anything.

Cant really comment on the throw or feel of buttons as I no longer own originals of either but I would imagine they dont feel sharp after this amount of time lol

Not sure what you mean by slanted in the wrong direction? Its the same layout as a PS button wise and if held in the correct fashion perfectly useable to hit 2 at once.
I do remember having to bend ya thumb knuckle due to the thickness of the controller though for certain button combos but that was rare.

Mario all stars was better remakes imo, as for the game genie never used it so dont care lol

And like I keep saying you cant look at a old console and compare it in hindsight to new tech.

Sure you can emulate old arcade games, play them on mobile etc etc but at the time you could not. And that is why the SNES was as good as it was.
It had all the good points of the NES plus the advantage of playing MK etc.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2017, 02:42:29 pm »
I do regular maintenance on my gamepads thank-you-very-much.  The nes classic gamepad feels identical to my original nes gamepad, for example.  Considering the snes pad is newer than it, yeah they aren't worn out. 

Yes and the playstation makes some of the worst gamepads since the Atari Jaguar.  They are ergonomically backwards because the original psx gamepad was just a clunky snes rip off and then when it was time to copy the n64 they just hap-hazardly threw some thumbsticks in the worst possible area.  To this day I don't really game on Sony systems solely because of the gamepads.  It's not rocket science really.  Hold anything in two hands.  See where your thumbs naturally angle up and towards the center?  That is ergonomically correct.  So any button or stick that is far enough away to require extension of the thumbs should angle the thumb up and towards the center.  But sony put their thumbsticks, the part of the controls that need to be the most precise, down and towards the center.  Your thumbs are extending the wrong way.  Now the nes gamepad isn't perfect, but unlike the dogbone it doesn't require you to extend your thumb down and towards the center when covering both buttons.  You of course can try to just press in between both buttons, but that isn't reliable for fast-paced gameplay.

Now people can argue that they like these back asswards gamepads sure, but they just like them.  Objectively they are worse for your hands.  This has nothing to do with the snes pads btw as they are ergonomically correct due to the button mappings that have any usual combined presses being mapped up and to the center (see smw, ect..) of course the fighters still suffered from it, but very few moves had you press multiple face buttons at once.  For the record the nes gamepad is just ergonomically neutral (just towards the center) which is neither good nor bad.  The issue with snes pads is primarily the mushy d-pad.... it's still the best one of that generation to be sure, but it doesn't compare to the nes.

It sounds like you are confused in the conversation.  The past is the past.  I'm arguing that the Nes Classic will have more demand than a Snes Classic because the games hold up better and would appeal more to new and casual audiences.  I'm not sure what you are arguing as you keep mentioning that it mattered then.... who cares about then?  We are talking about now.