Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Nintendo is bringing back the SNES — SNES Classic Edition  (Read 73653 times)

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
Re: Nintendo is bringing back the SNES — SNES Classic Edition
« Reply #80 on: July 01, 2017, 02:22:43 pm »
It's like this.  Nostalgia of course plays a huge role... people that grew up with the pal snes or sfc are going to prefer it ... but with that being said. 

The US SNES looks better imho because it has a very unique, timeless shape and it doesn't have the garish "skittles buttons" on the gamepad.  If you look at the sfc it's design is very much a product of it's time period... it screams 90's with those rounded corners and flush, "Star Trek TNG" buttons, which were all the rage on microwaves and car stereos at the time.  Sometimes being dated is what makes a console look cool, like the 2600, but for me at least, 90's styling is kind of hit and miss and for this particular item I think it's a miss. 

Back on topic though that flip down cover for the ports is janky as hell... as I feared.  It means that you'll have to constantly unplug the gamepads when you are done if you want it to display nice.  I'm a damn sucker though so I'll probably end up getting one anyway.

thomas_surles

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 19, 2023, 07:20:00 pm
« Reply #81 on: July 01, 2017, 03:24:35 pm »
It definitely has games that i want that i cant play on my super everdrive. So i do want one, but getting one is going to be a hassle I fear. Now if we can mod it and get it to play the rest of the games I can't play like mega man x2 & x3, doom and whatever else, then we will really be talking.

JDFan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #82 on: July 01, 2017, 03:52:28 pm »
Back on topic though that flip down cover for the ports is janky as hell... as I feared.  It means that you'll have to constantly unplug the gamepads when you are done if you want it to display nice.  I'm a damn sucker though so I'll probably end up getting one anyway.

OR mod it to add a wireless connection on the inside of the unit so you can leave the cover in place !

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #83 on: July 01, 2017, 04:12:10 pm »
That's probably possible yeah.  That wireless NES classic controller I ordered is still going strong.  I haven't had to charge it since I bought it either.... super long battery life.  I'm wondering if they sell snes pads. 

JDFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #84 on: July 01, 2017, 04:20:45 pm »
That's probably possible yeah.  That wireless NES classic controller I ordered is still going strong.  I haven't had to charge it since I bought it either.... super long battery life.  I'm wondering if they sell snes pads.

Would think it's using the same connector cable so something like the Nincade should still work with it also - and since it is a pass through device you could still use the wired controls if you wanted to open the cover.

« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 04:23:10 pm by JDFan »

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #85 on: July 21, 2017, 11:45:42 pm »
Preorders went live on Walmart's website. Let the feeding frenzy begin!

JDFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #86 on: July 21, 2017, 11:48:03 pm »
Preorders went live on Walmart's website. Let the feeding frenzy begin!

Just came here to tell everyopne and you beat me to it ! Got my order placed

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #87 on: July 22, 2017, 12:07:32 am »
They've still got plenty of preorders, which makes me think Nintendo might have actually delivered on the promise to make more this time.  I had 15 bucks in Walmart gift cards, so hell, I'm in for one. 

JDFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #88 on: July 22, 2017, 12:23:47 am »
They've still got plenty of preorders, which makes me think Nintendo might have actually delivered on the promise to make more this time.  I had 15 bucks in Walmart gift cards, so hell, I'm in for one.

Looks like it is done ! - Not bad for the first live US presale it actually lasted a bit over 30 minutes - guess the Scalpers didn't have a chance to set up their Bots before the link was live.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #89 on: July 22, 2017, 12:28:27 am »
Walmart usually gets the most though, so it could be a bad sign.  Best Buy will get a smaller amount... Gamestop will probably get a lot but they'll sell it through some b.s. bundle that nobody wants.  Amazon seems to be a crap shot these days.... they get them in, but half the time it's for Prime members only and they sell out in 5 min. 

I also realized that this is the first preorder frenzy that I've gotten since this limited stock stuff started with the Wii.  I just happened to be online and got the notification.  Everything's coming up Millhouse!  :D

JDFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #90 on: July 22, 2017, 11:14:12 am »
Walmart usually gets the most though, so it could be a bad sign.  Best Buy will get a smaller amount... Gamestop will probably get a lot but they'll sell it through some b.s. bundle that nobody wants.  Amazon seems to be a crap shot these days.... they get them in, but half the time it's for Prime members only and they sell out in 5 min. 

I also realized that this is the first preorder frenzy that I've gotten since this limited stock stuff started with the Wii.  I just happened to be online and got the notification.  Everything's coming up Millhouse!  :D

Depending on how large of a percentage they decided to put up for pre-orders and how many they want to keep for launch day to drive some traffic into the stores. It ssems to have sold out pretty quick but it might be they just put up a few to test how it would go and make sure their site was ready to handle it.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #91 on: July 26, 2017, 04:40:15 pm »
Got my pre-order cancellation notice today. Looks like Walmart is canceling all pre-orders across the board.  Several news sites have been posting articles on it.
I'm wondering if they got heavy pressure from Nintendo to pull these back. Wouldn't be surprised.

It's just weird that earlier they canceled only a portion of the preorders, I thought I was in the clear. But everyone's order are now cancelled.   :dunno

thomas_surles

• Offline Offline
« Reply #92 on: July 26, 2017, 04:43:22 pm »
That's discouraging.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #93 on: July 26, 2017, 05:12:19 pm »
Yeah, I figured it was too good to be true. ;)

If you guys haven't received your notice yet, make sure to check your Spam folder. A buddy of mine thought his was secured, but then found the notice in Spam.

JDFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #94 on: July 26, 2017, 05:34:22 pm »
Got my pre-order cancellation notice today. Looks like Walmart is canceling all pre-orders across the board.  Several news sites have been posting articles on it.
I'm wondering if they got heavy pressure from Nintendo to pull these back. Wouldn't be surprised.

It's just weird that earlier they canceled only a portion of the preorders, I thought I was in the clear. But everyone's order are now cancelled.   :dunno

Still baffles me how they could take a week to decide to cancel them - you'd think it could have been done within an hour of making the mistake and everyone would have understood it was an error - but to keep them live for a week is really kind of puzzling ( and if they do relist pre-orders again before launch would really not make sense since they could have just kept the first ones live.

Only reason for cancelling after a week that makes any sense - would be if NOA has specifically said not to take pre-orders in NA and Walmart was trying to work something out with them after the mistake was made to be able to keep them and NOA would not allow that. :dunno

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #95 on: July 26, 2017, 06:13:49 pm »
Perhaps it's a data gathering test to see what kind of numbers they can get on the pre-order? :)

One thing I should mention, even though I received the email, I still have the order listed as -Processing- on my Walmart account page.  They haven't officially canceled it *yet*.

JDFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #96 on: July 26, 2017, 09:17:21 pm »
Perhaps it's a data gathering test to see what kind of numbers they can get on the pre-order? :)

One thing I should mention, even though I received the email, I still have the order listed as -Processing- on my Walmart account page.  They haven't officially canceled it *yet*.

Same here - and the transaction on my debit card is still On Hold

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #97 on: July 26, 2017, 10:28:58 pm »
This is some b.s.  These aren't units, they are the promise of units.  So why in the blue hell are they cancelling them?  When they do get units we get the first ones... it's a no-brainer.  This is like cancelling a reservation to dinner a month from now because the chef hasn't ordered the food yet. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #98 on: July 26, 2017, 10:33:46 pm »
I just checked their website again.  My order has now been updated to "cancelled" status. 

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #99 on: July 26, 2017, 11:44:22 pm »
Yeah same here. *sigh*
This is already starting out a gong-show.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:19:17 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #100 on: July 26, 2017, 11:52:45 pm »
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

JDFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #101 on: July 27, 2017, 12:28:04 am »
This is some b.s.  These aren't units, they are the promise of units.  So why in the blue hell are they cancelling them?  When they do get units we get the first ones... it's a no-brainer.  This is like cancelling a reservation to dinner a month from now because the chef hasn't ordered the food yet.

Might be that NOA has told all retailers in North America not to do pre-orders before launch day - as that is really the only reason I can think of that would make Walmart cancel them all and take 5 days to do it (If they were talking to NOA to see if they could just honor them since it was a mistake to sell them and NOA refused to allow it)

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #102 on: July 27, 2017, 01:11:34 am »
That's irrelevant.  NOA has no control over pre-orders.  Actual console sales sure (you can't break release date for shipments), but not pre-orders.  I honestly can't think of a single scenario where it makes sense to cancel all the pre-orders.  Some, sure... many, ok that sucks but still sure..... but all??  WTF???

Think about it.  Let's say it went up early.  Ok so when they do have consoles available for preorder the first consoles should be allotted to those that did the early preorder.  If they don't have any left for the real preorder date that's tough because they already promised them to us.  Let's say that they took more preorders than they are supposed to get with their initial shipment.  Ok, still no problem.  You know that initial shipment?  Well they already sold out.  The next shipment.... it goes to fill the remaining preorders and so on.  If they don't get enough shipments THEN they start cancelling.  Of if they want to honor the release date and they sold too many, just look at the timestamp for the preorders and do it first come, first serve, cancelling the remaining ones.  As I said, no logical reason to cancel them all.  That is unless they wanted those consoles to put in some b.s. bundle that nobody wants... you know, like thinkgeek (aka gamestop) just did the other day when they "found" some remaining nes classics. 

I better get a gift card or something out of this because I haven't felt this screwed over from a purchase in a long time. 

JDFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #103 on: July 27, 2017, 01:21:06 am »
That's irrelevant.  NOA has no control over pre-orders.  Actual console sales sure (you can't break release date for shipments), but not pre-orders. 

Unless NOA threatened to not ship any units to any retailer that sold pre-orders --- then they would definitely have some control over pre-orders !  :dunno

But I agree - they should have just kept the orders and filled them as supply arrived -- even if it meant having fewer/none for release day at the stores.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #104 on: July 27, 2017, 03:53:28 am »
Walmart's really going downhill.  They recently remodeled our local store (which is only a few years old, but whatever) and they "forgot" to do a Nintendo section for the new games department.  Seriously.... all the Nintendo stuff is crammed in the last of 5, count em' 5 Playstation cases.  I would say it's because the playstation stuff is selling well, but they have 5 cases for the xbox one, and we know that isn't selling. 

So brand new games section... it's frikkin huge..... and not a Nintendo sign to be found.  Just 4 switch games, whatever is left of the Wii U stock and a few 3ds games in a case even though the 3ds outsells everything else by a large margin and the switch is currently selling almost as fast as the ps4 did at this point. 

Oh but they put symbols on all the store signs for the illiterate, and are using a very expensive vinyl wrap to turn part of the outside of the store blue so I guess that remodel was well worth the money.  You seriously can't make this stuff up. 

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
« Reply #105 on: July 28, 2017, 01:26:55 pm »

They'll be available to people who really want one.  The NES Classic was just available this week via bundles on ThinkGeek.  Really crappy expensive bundles but available nonetheless.

JDFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #106 on: July 28, 2017, 01:36:24 pm »
So brand new games section... it's frikkin huge..... and not a Nintendo sign to be found.  Just 4 switch games, whatever is left of the Wii U stock and a few 3ds games in a case even though the 3ds outsells everything else by a large margin and the switch is currently selling almost as fast as the ps4 did at this point. 

They may have just figured there was no need for a Nintendo section since there are never any nintendo consoles in stock - so why tie up the shelf space when it sits empty 90% of the time.

bigster

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 16, 2022, 08:24:40 pm
« Reply #107 on: July 28, 2017, 01:49:18 pm »
I went to a big Wal-Mart recently and saw a bunch of Nintendo stuff but the ratio was one shelf of Nintendo for every 5 of PlayStation/Xbox.  Interestingly the Nintendo shelf was stocked.  Botw in stock.  A couple of switch consoles, even old wii games like Mario galaxy 2 (wtf).  Wide variety of stuff but nothing like the shelf space dedicated to other consoles but then again switch is 4 months old so who knows.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #108 on: July 28, 2017, 01:59:11 pm »

They'll be available to people who really want one.  The NES Classic was just available this week via bundles on ThinkGeek.  Really crappy expensive bundles but available nonetheless.

Yes you'll note that I mentioned that already.  :)  The thing is, for me at least the MSRP is very much part of the product's features.  If it goes up too much it's no longer the same product.  Like the NES Classic.... at 60 bucks it's priced about right.  At 100 it's a bit harder to justify, but sure I can see it if you really want it.  At $150 +..... LOL nope. 

The snes classic is already pushing it.... costing 20 bucks more even though we know that it's the same damn board with a different shell.  Yes, they are including two controllers, but thinking back they already created these gamepads several years ago for a Japan-only club Nintendo prize.... so r&d costs don't even exist for it.... probably cost them a buck a piece to make. 

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #109 on: July 28, 2017, 02:19:49 pm »
I'm with H_C on this one, the price point is definitely part of the selling feature for these things. There is no way I'd bother the hassle of tracking one down if it cost more than the current MSRP. And I agree they're pushing their luck with a $20 price hike.

Ever since Gamestop bought out Thinkgeek I've boycotted them. Gamestop will get not a penny from me.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #110 on: July 28, 2017, 05:36:57 pm »
To be fair Gamestop is just trying to save their company.  Physical media is never going away, but brick and mortar stores might... especially for something as easy to ship as games.  The problem is they have no clue how to save it and they are grasping at every straw within reach.  Selling over-priced novelty goods definitely isn't the solution, nor is forcing your customers to buy unwanted novelty goods in a bundle with games.  If they were smart, they would try to work out a deal with one of the hardware manufacturers and the publishing companies to allow people to "rent"  games via download... similar to Netflix.  Previous attempts have failed because it's always been some lousy third party company doing it on the pc.....consoles is where the money is at. 

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:58:22 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #111 on: July 29, 2017, 12:19:40 am »
I go in 2-3 times a year when they put a really good PS4 game on sale for $10.  Do the online pickup thing, never an issue.  Employees very polite and not pushy.  Holy ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- some of the customers, though.  Wow.  I think it's the next stop for the People of Walmart.

:cheers:

thomas_surles

• Offline Offline
« Reply #112 on: July 29, 2017, 07:42:08 am »
To be fair Gamestop is just trying to save their company.  Physical media is never going away, but brick and mortar stores might... especially for something as easy to ship as games.  The problem is they have no clue how to save it and they are grasping at every straw within reach.  Selling over-priced novelty goods definitely isn't the solution, nor is forcing your customers to buy unwanted novelty goods in a bundle with games.  If they were smart, they would try to work out a deal with one of the hardware manufacturers and the publishing companies to allow people to "rent"  games via download... similar to Netflix.  Previous attempts have failed because it's always been some lousy third party company doing it on the pc.....consoles is where the money is at.
But most of that novelty stuff ends up in the clearance bin. I got some mugs and plush things for less than 3 bucks each. So apparently nobody is buying the over priced stuff.

JDFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #113 on: July 29, 2017, 11:01:21 am »
I think the main problem with Gamestop is they have way too many locations in some areas -- Here we have 9 stores within 6.5 miles of my house and a few others within 15 miles - and it's not that big of a city (approx 640,000 population) and there is no way there are that many people buying used games in enough quantity to keep that many running. They'll pretty much let a new franchisee open in a saturated market because they want the fees and don't really think about what it does to the existing franchisees or for that new franchisee.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 11:04:13 am by JDFan »

thomas_surles

• Offline Offline
« Reply #114 on: July 29, 2017, 12:05:36 pm »
In the end they will survive online if Amazon doesnt kill that too. But there are too many stores. I have 2 right across the street from each other. So i have to go to both to get clearance crap.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #115 on: August 22, 2017, 12:34:05 pm »
So, Kotaku says it's the same Star Fox 2 ROM that we already have.  Meh.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #116 on: August 22, 2017, 01:59:17 pm »
Amazon supposedly let out pre-orders at 1am last night, but I looked at the listing.... if it is indeed amazon then they need to fire whoever put it up because English clearly isn't their first language and they didn't even post a picture. 

That being said, the pre-orders were supposed to start "sometime in August"  Well it's the 22nd... somebody better get their butts in gear.  My guess is it might be the 28th, which would make it roughly 30 days from the product release date... so the scalpers can put it straight on ebay.  :(

JimmyU

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:38:09 am
  • I believe I can fly!
« Reply #117 on: August 22, 2017, 02:16:15 pm »
Amazon supposedly let out pre-orders at 1am last night, but I looked at the listing.... if it is indeed amazon then they need to fire whoever put it up because English clearly isn't their first language and they didn't even post a picture. 

That being said, the pre-orders were supposed to start "sometime in August"  Well it's the 22nd... somebody better get their butts in gear.  My guess is it might be the 28th, which would make it roughly 30 days from the product release date... so the scalpers can put it straight on ebay.  :(
Best Buy had preorders that went up last night and sold out quickly. Walmart and Target had preorders around 1 PM EST and sold out within a minute.

bootsector

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 29, 2018, 12:48:52 am
« Reply #118 on: August 22, 2017, 02:31:05 pm »
Source?

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #119 on: August 22, 2017, 03:22:02 pm »
Source?

Kotaku.   :lol

"While that leaked version wasn’t quite 100 percent finished, the version I played on SNES Classic didn’t seem to differ too much, if at all. "

That's "please don't strip my press credentials" code for "exactly the same."

https://kotaku.com/we-played-snes-classic-and-it-has-rewind-now-1798161324

Hopefully hackers are able to strip out this updated emulator and port it over to the NES Classic.  I don't care about rewind, but those overlays covering up the black would be nice.  One of the few oversights on the NES Classic....