Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Nintendo is bringing back the SNES — SNES Classic Edition  (Read 74759 times)

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 02, 2024, 07:42:30 pm
Re: Nintendo is bringing back the SNES — SNES Classic Edition
« Reply #160 on: September 26, 2017, 11:46:58 pm »
From what I’ve read it’s practically the same hardware. I’m betting the same storage space too, which means we’ll have to be choosy with the amount of games we can copy to it.

So far, he’s the list I’m going to try to get on this thing.  I need more RPG's, but I haven't given them much thought:

Ninja Gaiden Trilogy
U.N Squadron
TMNT Tournament Fighters
TMNT Turtles in Time
FF 5 and 6
Final Fight 1, 2 and 3. (3 is so good!)
DK Country 2 and 3
Super R-type (I don't know why they didn't add this, it was a launch title!)
R-Type III: The Third Lightning
Uniracers
The Lost Vikings
Demon's Crest
Zombie Ate my Neighbors
Wild Guns
Knights of the Round
Secret of Evermore
Top Gear 3000

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2024, 10:59:21 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #161 on: September 27, 2017, 12:01:55 am »
Since the space is limited, a smart person would just put that games on there that can't be ran on a flash cart and are difficult to emulate properly.  You've got Yoshi's island and the two Star Foxes on there already, just add the other FX games and the handful of special chip games that aren't already on there and you are done. 

I'm gonna try for one Friday, but I'm not too hopeful. 

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #162 on: September 27, 2017, 04:18:49 pm »
Anyone read any honest reviews of this thing yet?  Is so, can you please link 'em?

Everything I've read so far seems like shill-paid or half-assed reviews.

Since the space is limited, a smart person would just put that games on there that can't be ran on a flash cart and are difficult to emulate properly.  You've got Yoshi's island and the two Star Foxes on there already, just add the other FX games and the handful of special chip games that aren't already on there and you are done. 
The only other FX games worth it are Stunt Race FX, and maybe Vortex (questionable)? Though Stunt Race is only really playable if it's overclocked.
The classic already has Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars out of the SA-1 games that are worth the time. I guess the Kirby games are worth it.
Other than that there's Star Ocean (S-DD1), which is playable on flashcart now through a hack conversion.

3 or 4 decent titles that aren't playable on a flashcart won't fill up the storage, so might as well fill the rest of the space with the bangers.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:01:53 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #163 on: September 27, 2017, 04:29:48 pm »
From what I’ve read it’s practically the same hardware. I’m betting the same storage space too, which means we’ll have to be choosy with the amount of games we can copy to it.

Motherboard is virtually identical.  Same 512MB storage chip, so about 300MB available.  Can't compress the ROMs on the native emulation...

But if we can get both emulations going, you could probably do a complete NES ROM set and quite a few SNES....

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #164 on: September 27, 2017, 08:43:38 pm »
Anyone read any honest reviews of this thing yet?  Is so, can you please link 'em?

Everything I've read so far seems like shill-paid or half-assed reviews.

What is there to review?  It's the nes classic, only now snes.  It has virtually the same interface only now with a (useless imho) rewind function and a few nifty borders.  It's Nintendo so I'm sure the emulation is good.  The only thing I've noticed of note in videos is the fact that star fox looks slighty better to me.... maybe the 3d is de-interlaced? 

The cords are 5 feet long, which is adequate, but a tad bit short. 

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #165 on: September 27, 2017, 11:08:22 pm »
Star Fox 2 has been dumped but nobody will be the first to post it.  I imagine we'll all be playing it by Sunday.....

Others have successfully flashed th SNES kernel onto the NES.  So worst case I'm buying another Famicom.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #166 on: September 27, 2017, 11:36:54 pm »
Well I never was able to pick up the NES classic, so I was looking for a review that more standalone.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #167 on: September 28, 2017, 12:23:25 am »
Like me a pbj have been saying all along, it's the most painless way to play emulated games on the tv.  The interface is pretty great, the emulation is good, it boots up and shuts down quicker than anything out there, ect.  And if you don't like the emulation, ect it's been hacked so run something else on it.  The hacks are integrated pretty well... it doesn't feel butchered if you apply them.   

The only complaint I've been able to come up with, and it's a stretch, is that if you are using save states extensively (saving every few minutes in a game ect.) and you don't pay attention to what you are doing it's fairly easy to accidentally load up an older save when in the save menu. Also the thing about having to press the reset button is a pain, but a quick re-flash of the kernel will allow you to map it to a key combo on the gamepad. 

Hey if we can't get ahold of them, somebody make a 3d model of a snes case for the nes/famicom classic and I'll print us out a few.  I've been ashamed of my initial results, but I'm finally getting pretty good at this 3d printing business.  The trick seems to be figuring out the best way to lay out the part on the bed to avoid a lot of hard to remove supports.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #168 on: September 28, 2017, 09:59:38 am »
So I've got a no questions asked, "if you see one, buy it, I'll pay you back" arrangement with a couple of friends....

Maybe we'll get luckier this round.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #169 on: September 28, 2017, 10:46:37 pm »
Well gentlemen... checking Walmart via brickseek, it appears that all the Walmarts around here are getting 20-50 snes classics.  The Target stores that show up on brickseek have 30-50 for sale in the morning.  So the question is, should I go out and try to get one in an hour like a lunatic or chill and hope they still have some in the morning. 

thomas_surles

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 19, 2023, 07:20:00 pm
« Reply #170 on: September 28, 2017, 11:54:00 pm »
Go get one

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #171 on: September 29, 2017, 12:20:46 am »
...and post some pictures of the madness.

slickam

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2024, 02:48:54 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #172 on: September 29, 2017, 12:34:41 am »
I got an email from Best Buy earlier that my preorder is in the mail. Unfortunately, it won't show up until next week. My coworker got a preorder in a few seconds after I did, but his email was that there was an inventory issue and his isn't being shipped out yet.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #173 on: September 29, 2017, 12:51:32 am »
Well I went.  About 20 people in line, 22 snes's so everybody got one.  A very motley crew of a line.  Everybody looked like me, it was crazy.  Talked to some old school fanboys and a uber-gamer that also apparently runs all the strip clubs in town.  A finer bunch of neck-beards and hipsters you'll never meet.  Overall pleasant experience, would stand in line again.  9 out of 10

No pics unfortunately... got y'alls message after I left the store.

EssexMame

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:07:15 am
  • Mame Weekender
« Reply #174 on: September 29, 2017, 05:06:44 am »
From a UK perspective, it seems to me Nintendo have made as much of a mess of this as with the mini NES. Pre-orders gone as soon as they become available, nothing available on the day online or in store. No word on further stock/dates.

I know it is all deliberate - hold back stock to keep interest up and discussions & articles on it do the marketing for them - but isn't that all a bit tired and dated now? All it does is encourage people not interested in the console to buy it anyway and sell it on fleaBay for inflated prices.

I'd love that to fail, just once, because a company has plenty of stock leaving the 2nd hand market prices to crash. If people bought a console and then couldn't sell it for the retail price they'd not do it next time and those who wanted the console next time would get them (i.e. I'd have a chance on the N64 classic mini!)

Preaching to the converted I know, but it's so infuriating. I don't think I'll bother (I've got a SNES anyway, just not all the games I'd want and the fleaBay market for them is over-inflated too!). So, Nintendo, you've lost at least one sale because of your outdated supply and marketing strategy. Oh, and I won't be buying a Switch either now. So Ner!

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #175 on: September 29, 2017, 09:04:02 am »
Brickseek wasn't confirming any stock at the Astrodome Target, but it's on my way in anyway so why not. 

Yeah, 50+ people in line at 7:45am.  Didn't even get out of my car.

:lol

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #176 on: September 29, 2017, 09:44:33 am »
Star Fox 2 ROM runs fine on SNES9X.

:cheers:

smass

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 09, 2024, 07:46:54 pm
  • Cheapskate Arcade
« Reply #177 on: September 29, 2017, 11:29:33 am »
I went to Target a 10am - had a brain fart and forgot they open at 8am.  Dude in electronics said they had a dozen available in the morning with about 8 people waiting for them.  Gamestop had a dozen also but you had to get a ticket to get one.

I am pretty sure these are going to be easier to come by than the nes classic - but we will see. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #178 on: September 29, 2017, 12:36:05 pm »
Brickseek wasn't confirming any stock at the Astrodome Target, but it's on my way in anyway so why not. 

Yeah, 50+ people in line at 7:45am.  Didn't even get out of my car.

:lol

You should have went.  Most larger cities got 200+ per store.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2024, 07:27:18 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #179 on: September 29, 2017, 01:14:37 pm »
both walk in SNES minis were sold at the gamestop closest to my work. Im sure by the time I get off work they will be sold out everywhere. If someone can find another I'll pay for it plus shipping plus a few thank you dollars.
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #180 on: September 29, 2017, 01:32:12 pm »
I'm down that way in a couple hours so I'll check for ya man, but this late I doubt they'll still have any.  Word on the street is you shouldn't even bother with gamestop and the other stores because they got extremely limited quantities.  For whatever reason Walmart seems to be getting the big shipments.  I've heard some big numbers from target as well. 

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #181 on: September 29, 2017, 01:44:51 pm »
Target close to my house had 72 of them, but no way in hell was I driving to the intersection of two interstates during morning rush hour.

Ah well, if Nintendo keeps pumping out stock like this these things are going to be old news in a week.

I got bored of Star Fox 2 in 5 minutes.  I know programmers love telling everyone how the company "pulled the plug when it was almost ready, man!" but I've yet to play a game that wasn't unreleased for good reason....

bigster

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 16, 2022, 08:24:40 pm
« Reply #182 on: September 29, 2017, 02:15:18 pm »
Went to a walmart and the lady said they didn't get their shipment yet but everyone  was asking for it.  They had a lot of promotional material up for it.  It was close to.time target was opening so I headed there.  Small line was about 30th person.  Everyone in line got a unit and it seemed no supply issues.  Some people in the target line were there since 4 am.  Feel bad for them because I got the extra sleep.and a unit.  Won't get around to playing it for a few days.  I'm guessing nes mini extension cables will work. 

I want the 8bitdo snes controller.  Got a cheap receiver on prime day(I bought on the assumption it would be same.hardware as nes) So will pick up the controller when it goes on sale.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:48:34 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #183 on: September 29, 2017, 02:25:12 pm »
I know programmers love telling everyone how the company "pulled the plug when it was almost ready, man!" but I've yet to play a game that wasn't unreleased for good reason....

actually in this instance, the Nintendo 64 was well on it's way out the door and set to be released in the following quarter. They would have had to eat the bill for a bunch of brand new more powerful FX chips to build carts for the SNES... essentially for a system that would VERY soon be replaced with a much more powerful system.

It came to be at the wrong time is all... had it been a half year earlier, it probably would have shipped.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #184 on: September 29, 2017, 02:38:24 pm »
You've got to remember that most people are looking through rose-colored glasses when they think of star fox.  At the time, the original was ground breaking, but now it's kind of crap with it's digital controls and bad frame rate.  Star Fox 2 is very similar in that regard.... keeping it in context for a 3d game released in 1996 on the snes it's pretty good, but it hasn't aged well.  Star Fox 64 is the really good version of Star Fox. 

So I fired it up for a few minutes (all the time I had).  Pretty much what you would expect except for the screen.  For whatever reason the games don't fill the screen.... there is a slight border on the top and bottom of the games.  It's even worse in Star Fox where it's a letterboxed game.  It's not a huge border, but I hope the hackers can fix it.  Two of the bezels are pretty neat.... they use the colors on the screen to tint the bezel creating a poor man's ambi-light.  One is just a simple glow instead of graphics and I kind of like it.  The rewind function.... is there.... not super impressive. 

I think for now I'm back on the 2ds playing Samus Returns until the hackers get ahold of this bad boy. 

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #185 on: September 29, 2017, 04:01:23 pm »
Star Fox 2 is growing on me.  Pretty neat to attack a ship, fly inside it, turn into a mech, and stomp around. 

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #186 on: September 29, 2017, 04:21:04 pm »
I heard that the official release has the lock-on targeting feature removed. Is this true? 

In the leaked rom you could lock onto the enemy ship during those little mini-skirmishes.

Overall I like the game. The only thing I don't like about Starfox 2 is that it's way too easy. If the lock-on is removed this would help make it more difficult.

JDFan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
« Reply #187 on: September 29, 2017, 04:23:14 pm »
I'm down that way in a couple hours so I'll check for ya man, but this late I doubt they'll still have any.  Word on the street is you shouldn't even bother with gamestop and the other stores because they got extremely limited quantities.  For whatever reason Walmart seems to be getting the big shipments.  I've heard some big numbers from target as well.

BEst Buy's around here got good numbers also -- They sent an E-mail yesterday saying they'd hand out tickets at 7am. - was up at 6:30 so went over to see the line - had about 45 in line so I went ahead and waited -- This store decided to do it their way (rather than the way corporate told them to !!)  and waited to hand out tickets till 9 am. and you had to be in line at 10 when the store opened rather than having to come back by 1pm. - but at least they had 100+ units, so all 80 or so that arrived before opening got 1. Would have been simpler if they had passed out the tickets like they were supposed at 7 and let us come back before 1pm. to pick it up - but can't complain too much. ( though a few that had to be at work at 8:30 and had to leave probably will !   :angry: )

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #188 on: September 29, 2017, 05:21:08 pm »
I think for now I'm back on the 2ds playing Samus Returns until the hackers get ahold of this bad boy.

https://www.reddit.com/r/miniSNESmods/comments/72opgz/just_confirmed_that_hakchi2_can_dumpwrite_the/

As a nice surprise, it looks like Nintendo fully anticipated this, and left a note for tinkerers within the NAND! Hidden within the /etc directory is a file simply named "nineties", which contains:

Enjoy this Mini,
Disconnect from the present, and
Go back to the nineties.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #189 on: September 29, 2017, 09:56:56 pm »

https://www.reddit.com/r/miniSNESmods/comments/72opgz/just_confirmed_that_hakchi2_can_dumpwrite_the/

As a nice surprise, it looks like Nintendo fully anticipated this, and left a note for tinkerers within the NAND! Hidden within the /etc directory is a file simply named "nineties", which contains:

Enjoy this Mini,
Disconnect from the present, and
Go back to the nineties.

Yeah I already knew about that.  I mean some actual mods like mapping the home key, adding roms, ect....

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2024, 07:27:18 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #190 on: September 29, 2017, 10:17:35 pm »
as expected everywhere was sold by the time I got out of work.  :banghead:
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #191 on: September 29, 2017, 11:38:29 pm »
I wish the hidden message was a haiku. :lol

elvis

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 13, 2023, 05:31:03 pm
  • penguin poker
    • StickFreaks
« Reply #192 on: September 29, 2017, 11:41:53 pm »
For whatever reason the games don't fill the screen.... there is a slight border on the top and bottom of the games.
Standard trick of that era to lower the rendered resolution and get the framerates up.  If you were a 386 owner, you played Doom in a tiny window too, unlike those rich kid 486 owners who got to play full screen.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #193 on: September 30, 2017, 12:04:30 am »
Nah man, snes games fill the screen, they just don't on the snes classic.  Well except for the aforementioned star fox games. 

JDFan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
« Reply #194 on: September 30, 2017, 11:20:27 am »
So as was expected the NES and SNES hardware are pretty much identical -- and can even be swapped out with each other - so you could pull the SNES board and put it into the NES case if you wanted !

! No longer available

Grasshopper

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 08, 2023, 07:20:31 am
  • life, don't talk to me about life
« Reply #195 on: September 30, 2017, 11:40:47 am »
From a UK perspective, it seems to me Nintendo have made as much of a mess of this as with the mini NES. Pre-orders gone as soon as they become available, nothing available on the day online or in store. No word on further stock/dates.

I know it is all deliberate - hold back stock to keep interest up and discussions & articles on it do the marketing for them - but isn't that all a bit tired and dated now? All it does is encourage people not interested in the console to buy it anyway and sell it on fleaBay for inflated prices.

I'd love that to fail, just once, because a company has plenty of stock leaving the 2nd hand market prices to crash. If people bought a console and then couldn't sell it for the retail price they'd not do it next time and those who wanted the console next time would get them (i.e. I'd have a chance on the N64 classic mini!)

Preaching to the converted I know, but it's so infuriating. I don't think I'll bother (I've got a SNES anyway, just not all the games I'd want and the fleaBay market for them is over-inflated too!). So, Nintendo, you've lost at least one sale because of your outdated supply and marketing strategy. Oh, and I won't be buying a Switch either now. So Ner!

Indeed. It's still early days. But so far, it's been as much of a debacle as the NES Classic launch.

One thing's for sure, I won't be paying a penny above the recommended retail price. If the fanboys want to pay crazy prices to the scalpers to get hold of one, then good luck to them. But personally, I think that even at the standard £70, the SNES Classic is a little overpriced for what it is.
"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel." - Samuel Johnson

Grasshopper

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 08, 2023, 07:20:31 am
  • life, don't talk to me about life
« Reply #196 on: September 30, 2017, 11:46:20 am »
Pretty much what you would expect except for the screen.  For whatever reason the games don't fill the screen.... there is a slight border on the top and bottom of the games.

Yeah, I noticed that when I watched one of the online reviews. I assumed it was a "feature" that could be switched off, but apparently not. It's not quite a deal-breaker, but annoying nevertheless.

I wonder whether the NES Classic also had small borders above and below the game, but no one noticed because the borders are black.
"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel." - Samuel Johnson

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #197 on: September 30, 2017, 12:09:22 pm »
Nes Classic has flicker at the bottom of the screen because programmers used that area of the image as temporary storage.  We never noticed because it was off the screen on a crt.  This version is probably overlaying a border on the game to hide this.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #198 on: September 30, 2017, 03:53:19 pm »
Yeah but that doesn't make any sense either.  They could just enlarge the screen by 5% or so to get rid of that. 

bigster

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 16, 2022, 08:24:40 pm
« Reply #199 on: October 04, 2017, 06:52:05 am »
https://www.instagram.com/p/BZobb2FAFiu/

Thought y'all would like this one.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk