Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Nintendo is bringing back the SNES — SNES Classic Edition  (Read 73651 times)

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
Re: Nintendo is bringing back the SNES — SNES Classic Edition
« Reply #120 on: August 22, 2017, 03:26:33 pm »
Let's Players are going to eat those overlays up.  As soon as it's hacked you'll be able to put up your own little overlay and have hdmi out on a tiny little pre-configured box.  Add el-gato and you are good to go. 

This is b.s.  They went on sale last night approx. 15 min after I went to bed and the best buy and target stuff went on sale immediately after I ate lunch and went out for the day. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #121 on: August 22, 2017, 03:30:31 pm »
Gamestop's website is currently down with a message that they'll be back soon.  So more preorders might be inbound (or currently in progress and they crashed the site).

JDFan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #122 on: August 22, 2017, 03:38:27 pm »
Gamestop's website is currently down with a message that they'll be back soon.  So more preorders might be inbound (or currently in progress and they crashed the site).

They took it down and are only doing in store pre-orders (but only about 6 - 12 per store - so hard to get to  a store in time.) figure they want the in store traffic and the pre-order sales last more than a minute that way !

bootsector

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 29, 2018, 12:48:52 am
« Reply #123 on: August 22, 2017, 03:48:47 pm »
So, Kotaku says it's the same Star Fox 2 ROM that we already have.  Meh.
Source?

Kotaku.   

"While that leaked version wasn’t quite 100 percent finished, the version I played on SNES Classic didn’t seem to differ too much, if at all. "

That's "please don't strip my press credentials" code for "exactly the same."

https://kotaku.com/we-played-snes-classic-and-it-has-rewind-now-1798161324

Hopefully hackers are able to strip out this updated emulator and port it over to the NES Classic.  I don't care about rewind, but those overlays covering up the black would be nice.  One of the few oversights on the NES Classic....
If that's really the untouched leaked ROM, then that's a dick move from Nintendo. Thanks for the source reference!

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 07:29:48 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #124 on: August 22, 2017, 03:55:42 pm »

All the gamestops in a 20 mile radius are sold out, in person pre-orders only none allowed over the phone.
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #125 on: August 25, 2017, 06:59:06 pm »
Walmart had a run of pre-orders today at 3pm (PST) on their website. It was gone in about 4 minutes.  Anyone get in on one?

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 01:43:45 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #126 on: August 26, 2017, 08:57:52 am »
Nintendo must really hate it's fans. This fake shortage is ridiculous.

JDFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #127 on: August 26, 2017, 10:44:47 am »
Walmart had a run of pre-orders today at 3pm (PST) on their website. It was gone in about 4 minutes.  Anyone get in on one?

I've given up even trying -- the bots have too much of an advantage since the sites take so long to refresh pages or time out on them while the bots skip past them and by the time you get to the order verification screen all of them are gone and the system is removed from your cart !!  I'll also wait to see if they actually do any restocks rather than fight the crowds on launch - If I don't get one there are plenty of ways to still play the games so not going to stress over it.

Figure if I don't ever find one then I might wind up trading someone for the extra NES mini I have.

Grasshopper

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 08, 2023, 07:20:31 am
  • life, don't talk to me about life
« Reply #128 on: August 26, 2017, 01:26:40 pm »
It's exactly the same situation here in the UK. Last night I checked Argos' website and they said they were now taking SNES Classic pre-orders in store (but not online).

Great I thought. So I printed out the web page and took it to my local branch to place my order early this morning. The cashier checked the details and took my name and address. I was just about to give her my card details when a message flashed up on her screen saying that none were actually available.....

Frankly, I'm getting pissed off now, and I'm very close to giving up. I can't believe I've wasted half a day of my life on this nonsense already.

The NES Classic debacle could (just about) be put down to incompetence. But this repeat performance with the SNES Classic must surely be deliberate. No one can be that incompetent. Why do they even bother with pre-orders when they only seem to drip feed a few dozen units onto the market at a time.

I'll probably end up investing a bit more time and money on my Raspberry Pi instead. Unfortunately, the NesPi cases that I've had my eye on are also out of stock.....
"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel." - Samuel Johnson

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #129 on: August 26, 2017, 01:31:21 pm »
I think you guys forget that every new tech product worth getting excited about instantly runs out of pre-orders as well.  Pre-orders aren't an indication of available stock.....we won't know how scare the thing is until it's actually released. 

thomas_surles

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 19, 2023, 07:20:00 pm
« Reply #130 on: August 26, 2017, 01:55:01 pm »
Why couldnt nintendo just sell directly from their website. Post some pre orders estimate sales and manufacture acordingly cut out all the middle men aside from shipping. Or would that make too much sense?

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #131 on: August 26, 2017, 04:09:29 pm »
Well they could... but scalpers would gobble them up the instant they posted them just like now.  Pre-orders are supposed to be only a fraction of total stock so they can actually get the units into stores as having the product in a brick and mortar is a good form of advertising.  Scalpers are a bit lazy, so you'll actually have a shot at getting one if they are in stores.   Also I'm sure that Nintendo is obligated to sell their products to retailers so that said retailers will continue to carry their games.   

Nintendo has bungled it in the past though, so who knows.  I just take extreme offense at the notion that these shortages are intentional.  No business will withhold a product that people want to buy as (duh) they lose profit that way.  Nintendo's main problem is they are a global company and yet all the important marketing and production decisions are still made almost exclusively in Japan.  They keep making conservative batches of products because they honestly don't have a clue how well a product will do outside of their native country.  If the US and the UK were allowed to make their own orders of a new product I think this problem would go away.  Then again Sega went the direction of autonomous branches of their company and some regions bungled it so bad it ran them out of the hardware business. 

Grasshopper

• Offline Offline
« Reply #132 on: August 26, 2017, 04:52:36 pm »
I just take extreme offense at the notion that these shortages are intentional.

Seriously? You're taking "extreme offense" on behalf of Nintendo, a huge multinational company that is more than capable of looking after itself? Lol, you really are a fanboy.  ;D

JDFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #133 on: August 26, 2017, 05:09:10 pm »
I'll probably end up investing a bit more time and money on my Raspberry Pi instead. Unfortunately, the NesPi cases that I've had my eye on are also out of stock.....

I'm doing the same - have had several people asking about building a retropie setup for a while so when I saw the Nespi case decided it might be time to get them built for Xmas this year - ordered one from Amazon for the $20 to see what they actually looked like and then order the others but then the youtube reviews hit and they all sold out before I could order more !

So I finally just used Alibaba to order 10 of them on the 1st of the month - they were also out but said they'd get more in 3 weeks if I could wait - so ordered them and they just got shipped by DHL this morning. ( they had also restocked about 1 week ago on Amazon but quickly sold out the restock also ! ) Paid $176.90 including the shipping and Paypal 5% fee - so it worked out a bit cheaper than the $20 Amazon price. - There are a couple of the companies that will sell single units but I think it ends up around $30 because of the shipping for a single unit being higher - but never hurts to send them a message and ask what the total cost would be that way.

THey are a really well designed case and it makes building a setup simple (esp. if building multiples as you can just clone the sd card and setup inside the case takes about 2 minutes and your set.)

« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 05:22:40 pm by JDFan »

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:58:22 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #134 on: August 26, 2017, 06:15:16 pm »
I'm already anticipating flashing a readily available Famicom Mini, or Super Famicom Mini.  I'm not going through all that parking lot camping BS again.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #135 on: August 26, 2017, 09:45:02 pm »
Yeah. Corporations would never short product to build anticipation. ::)
Disney does it all the time. They release titles for a limited time, and then put them in the "vault". Then they release them again later.

Nintendo yanked production prematurely on a hugely popular product with the NES mini. Now they are jerking you around again. Nintendo hates you.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #136 on: August 26, 2017, 11:00:25 pm »
I don't know if you are stupid Mike or what, and I don't like using that term so I apologize if it offends you, but you know what Forest Gump said. 

Let me spell it out for you. 

If a company creates an artificial shortage to ramp up demand, they have to later actually release more of the units so that they'll sell some, and you know, make money.  Nintendo only made around 2 million NES Classics.  Experts estimate that they could have sold 5 to 10 million easy, possibly much more.  If they did it intentionally they sure are stupid as they missed out in at least 3 million more units in sales. 

It's been well documented that NES Classics were never meant to be a full time product, Nintendo thought the demand would be extremely low, and they had various production issues (chip shortages, ect.) when they wanted to ramp up production.  They ended the line much later than intended and the plan (apparently) was to release the snes classic for this holiday season. 

Disney doesn't create artificial shortages, they create timed releases... that's a huge difference.  When Aladdin "comes out of the vault" I guarantee you that anyone who wants a copy can get one at the standard retail price during that sales window no problem because, again, companies like to make money.  The NES Classic and SNES Classic were also meant to be timed releases, but with the NES at least, they greatly underestimated demand. 

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #137 on: August 27, 2017, 12:08:31 am »
I don't know if you are stupid Mike or what, and I don't like using that term so I apologize if it offends you, but you know what Forest Gump said.   
Whoa whoa. I don't think I've seen Howard call anyone flat out stupid before. Things ok in your life H_C?

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #138 on: August 27, 2017, 02:21:04 am »
Yeah. It has been nice talking to you Howard. You and Ark have both called me stupid now. Maybe this isn't the right forum for me. I don't know how someone would not be offended by being called stupid. Apologizing for offending someone and then insulting them anyway is pretty sad.

Grasshopper

• Offline Offline
« Reply #139 on: August 27, 2017, 07:31:48 am »

Let me spell it out for you. 

If a company creates an artificial shortage to ramp up demand, they have to later actually release more of the units so that they'll sell some, and you know, make money.  Nintendo only made around 2 million NES Classics.  Experts estimate that they could have sold 5 to 10 million easy, possibly much more.  If they did it intentionally they sure are stupid as they missed out in at least 3 million more units in sales. 

It's been well documented that NES Classics were never meant to be a full time product, Nintendo thought the demand would be extremely low, and they had various production issues (chip shortages, ect.) when they wanted to ramp up production.  They ended the line much later than intended and the plan (apparently) was to release the snes classic for this holiday season. 

Disney doesn't create artificial shortages, they create timed releases... that's a huge difference.  When Aladdin "comes out of the vault" I guarantee you that anyone who wants a copy can get one at the standard retail price during that sales window no problem because, again, companies like to make money.  The NES Classic and SNES Classic were also meant to be timed releases, but with the NES at least, they greatly underestimated demand.

Howard, you've inadvertently helped to make Mike's point for him. Timed releases (if we assume that's Nintendo's strategy) are just another means of creating an artificial shortage. The fact that highly motivated customers are (at least in the case of Disney) able to buy the product within the sales window is neither here nor there. It's still a form of market manipulation.

More importantly, you need to relax. This is just a silly hobby. The artificial scarcity of the NES/SNES Minis really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. OK, some of us here (including myself) are acting like it's a really important issue, but deep down we all know that it isn't.

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:02:12 am
« Reply #140 on: August 27, 2017, 09:26:53 am »

All the gamestops in a 20 mile radius are sold out, in person pre-orders only none allowed over the phone.

Wait, so they force you to leave your house and go out in public?
Diabolical! ;D

Also, 500 game mini NES systems with wired controllers are popping up on ebay from china for $35 to $40 shipped.
looks like they only have AV output though.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 09:36:18 am by nitrogen_widget »

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #141 on: August 27, 2017, 12:00:35 pm »
Catch up, nitrogen, there are 1:1 clones for $50 now

JDFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #142 on: August 27, 2017, 12:40:54 pm »

Not quite 1:1 clones -- They use a different chipset and different emulator software and are not moddable to add games - so you only get the original 30 games but do look the same.

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:02:12 am
« Reply #143 on: August 27, 2017, 05:25:07 pm »

I'm so far out of the loop on this stuff....

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:19:17 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #144 on: August 27, 2017, 07:08:10 pm »
Yeah. It has been nice talking to you Howard. You and Ark have both called me stupid now. Maybe this isn't the right forum for me. I don't know how someone would not be offended by being called stupid. Apologizing for offending someone and then insulting them anyway is pretty sad.

Of course this is the right forum for you, brother. It's just this place is so dead now, people got to get passionate about SOMETHING.

Maybe when people start building innovative arcade projects again, we'll have better conversations...
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

jdbailey1206

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2023, 01:32:56 pm
  • No. It's your top score on Pole Position.
« Reply #145 on: August 28, 2017, 10:49:01 am »

Of course this is the right forum for you, brother. It's just this place is so dead now, people got to get passionate about SOMETHING.

Maybe when people start building innovative arcade projects again, we'll have better conversations...

What?  Bartops don't tickle your fancy?

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #146 on: August 28, 2017, 01:38:09 pm »
Bartops were over 4-5 years ago.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #147 on: August 28, 2017, 05:10:39 pm »
Sadly you cant re-invent the wheel so there will be less and less new and exciting ideas.

Until some new gadget or whatever hits the market of course!

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #148 on: August 28, 2017, 06:25:31 pm »
Off topic: I could care less about reinventing the wheel, and rather people just build their own, well designed version of the wheel.  Too many projects here now are either bartops derived from lokensen's design from 5+ years ago, or some derivative of Chance's Flynn cab, (which is also derivative of other cabinets before him). I check out of a project whenever I see that ridiculous CP design.

IMO markc74's The Invaders project has the freshest design as of late, and I would love to see BYOAC come back to this level of thought.

There are too many cop-out projects, and a severe lack of art imagination lately. I also check out when I see artwork opinion threads asking for critique on a collage of photochopped multi-styled character art. That, and anything with -CADE in the title.

On topic:  I wonder how quickly the SNES Classic will be hacked to load up more games onto it -- we gotta get Chrono Trigger onto this thing somehow.  Also how long will it take for someone to rip the Starfox 2 official version off of it.  I need to update my repro cart...

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #149 on: August 28, 2017, 08:14:50 pm »
Eh my mame cab has been in an unplayble state for over 6 months.  I went to update the software, but mame is such a colossal pain in the ass to deal with anymore in terms of rom management I gave up halfway through. 

People that are going to make really good cabs, with some exceptions of course, are guys like us who have been doing it for several years now.  The only problem is that motivation wears out real quick after you learn what works and what doesn't as well as what you like and what you don't like. 

I would like to throw out my old mk2 style cab and design a candy-style cab.  The reason is simply that form, which is the fun part of the hobby, really takes a backseat to function once you learn that the novelty of form wears off real quick.  I've had arcade and arcade style cabinets in my home for nearly 20 years now..... so I'm over that.   What I need is something that plays well and doesn't take up a lot of room. 

So you've got noobs that don't know what they are doing and old timers like me, that either don't care about making something flashy or have moved on to collecting real cabinets, ect. 

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #150 on: August 29, 2017, 10:11:58 am »
What I need is something that plays well and doesn't take up a lot of room. 

OG XBOX with CoinOps

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #151 on: August 29, 2017, 12:21:32 pm »
What I need is something that plays well and doesn't take up a lot of room. 

OG XBOX with CoinOps

This is what I play on 99% of my playing time.  It doesn't handle MK2 well but otherwise I'm content with it.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #152 on: August 29, 2017, 12:26:02 pm »
Eh I still want arcade controls. 

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #153 on: August 29, 2017, 12:27:48 pm »
This is what I play on 99% of my playing time.  It doesn't handle MK2 well but otherwise I'm content with it.
I have the MKII from Shaolin Monks added to the dashboard menu when I need to scratch that itch.

Eh I still want arcade controls.
hack an xbox controller into an arcade stick.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #154 on: August 29, 2017, 12:34:05 pm »
Well if you do that then you need the room to store arcade sticks.  Since that takes up a lot of room I might as well go back to the pc setup with a proper cabinet shell.  I might go ahead and fix the old mame cab this weekend. 

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #155 on: August 29, 2017, 12:38:47 pm »
I have the MKII from Shaolin Monks added to the dashboard menu when I need to scratch that itch.

Go on.....  Is that the weird version in Coin Ops or something else?

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #156 on: August 29, 2017, 09:04:27 pm »
Well if you do that then you need the room to store arcade sticks. 

meh, a single stick can sit right on topof the xbox /shrug

Go on.....  Is that the weird version in Coin Ops or something else?

It wasnt part of my coinops but its the emulated MKII that is "hidden" in Shaolin Monks.  If yours has sound and doesnt stutter, its likely the same thing.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 09:08:00 pm by Malenko »

Grasshopper

• Offline Offline
« Reply #157 on: September 12, 2017, 03:37:00 pm »
A quick heads up for anyone in the UK. The latest edition of RetroGamer magazine comes bundled with a special one-off edition of Super Play magazine.

https://www.retrogamer.net/blog_post/super-play-returns-with-retro-gamer-172-2/

Super Play was apparently a dedicated Super Nintendo magazine that was published for a few years in the nineties. The new one-off edition is dedicated to the SNES Mini, and includes reviews of all the 21 games that are included with the system.

I bought a copy earlier today, and I have to say it's pretty damn good.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #158 on: September 12, 2017, 04:36:05 pm »
It wasnt part of my coinops but its the emulated MKII that is "hidden" in Shaolin Monks.  If yours has sound and doesnt stutter, its likely the same thing.

So the one in CoinOps has a very simplistic menu that lets you pick MK2 or MK3.  Within MK2, there's an option menu to reconfigure controls but the buttons don't do anything. 

The buttons on my panel map out like this:

HP HK Block
LP LK

It's a fairly good port otherwise.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #159 on: September 26, 2017, 11:00:06 pm »
So, kernel has been dumped.  Virtually the same hardware, and the storage limitations remain.

Will probably still buy.

:cheers: