Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: What routers you guys using?  (Read 11362 times)

Titchgamer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
What routers you guys using?
« on: April 11, 2017, 07:42:25 pm »
I am in the market for a new router so ime looking for recommendations.
Dont need anything huge just something I can use to recess and round edges really.
Probably looking at a plunge router for general use.

Been looking at a Bosch POE 1400 which looks ok for the money and a Makita RPO900x which looks pretty nimble but ime very much open to suggestions :p
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 07:51:46 pm by Titchgamer »

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
Re: What routers you guys using?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2017, 08:04:03 pm »
I have this kit and absolutely love it.  It is one of my favorite tools.  Light and much easier to use than my Bosch 2-1/4 kit.

https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DWP611PK-Torque-Variable-Compact/dp/B0049ZFUK2/ref=sr_1_2?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1446671234&sr=1-2&keywords=dewalt+router

It only takes a 1/4" bit though which may limit you somewhat.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:47:56 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2017, 11:23:16 pm »
LinkSys

PhiDeltCraiger

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 28, 2018, 12:58:36 pm
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2017, 02:12:24 pm »
I have this kit and absolutely love it.  It is one of my favorite tools.  Light and much easier to use than my Bosch 2-1/4 kit.

https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DWP611PK-Torque-Variable-Compact/dp/B0049ZFUK2/ref=sr_1_2?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1446671234&sr=1-2&keywords=dewalt+router

I use the same router and really like it as well. Works great in both configurations.

morton

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 23, 2021, 09:36:59 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2017, 02:12:52 pm »

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2017, 05:06:36 pm »
Cheers guys, they look good but a bit over my price range!
If they were £150 here ide buy one but they like £250 over here lol

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2017, 05:39:27 pm »
Well here, we call them estate sales, and it's basically when you loot a dead man's tool shed because his spiteful children are pissed about the will and getting rid of all his worldly possessions. 

That's how I got a router for $40.

Not sure what the term is there... coffin dodger went right widdershins and bit the dust boot fair?

:dunno

Try those.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
What routers you guys using?
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2017, 05:41:33 pm »
Estate sales over here to mate ;)
But they dont come up often unless you are in the know and sadly ime not lol

But tbh you over paid if you give em $40 for a linksys... dude you got reamed :p

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2017, 05:45:03 pm »
Wander around neighborhoods full of old people on the weekends.  There's bound to be an estate sale eventually.  Your birth rate is pitiful, just give it time.

:cheers:

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2017, 03:41:56 am »
LOL cheers for the advice :p

morton

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2017, 09:22:17 am »
Routers are one of those tools that are infinitely useful. It's worth buying a quality piece, even if it is used (they're likely better than whats coming out now). My router is about 35 years old, a Rockwell. While not perfect, its damned good for the price. Ask people you know if they have a router they want to get rid of. It works.

Example: I told my step dad I liked old speakers, and he asked what the ones behind the couch were worth... low and behold we had Dynaco A25 behind our couch for 30 years and I never knew! When I told him I wanted to buy a router, he just pulled one out of a box and gave it to me.

Now... my example isn't gonna help unless you wanna find some dude to sleep with your mom and eat all your food... but there are probably plenty of other folk out there who are just as generous and keen to help.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2017, 02:29:31 pm »
Now... my example isn't gonna help unless you wanna find some dude to sleep with your mom and eat all your food... but there are probably plenty of other folk out there who are just as generous and keen to help.

LOL

But yes I agree I want a decent Router.
Just cant justify spending £200+ when I wont use it that often.

As for scroungeing one I have tried but to no avail lol

morton

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2017, 08:03:08 pm »

LOL

But yes I agree I want a decent Router.
Just cant justify spending £200+ when I wont use it that often.

As for scroungeing one I have tried but to no avail lol

Depending on what you have in your shop already, it's possible you could get lots of use from a router... you would be amazed at what can be done with one. It can be used to joint, flush trim, duplicate panels, decorative moulding, cut any size circle, various types of locking joinery... I could go on forever. It really is one of the best tools to invest in. The more you do, the more you will see the value, which is why I say if you don't have much equipment, a good router can prove invaluable.

Join a woodworking forum that is local to you. I did that with an audio forum when I wanted to get a turntable... someone there even gave me $100 to buy a better turntable than I could afford. I am not going to give you $100 to buy a better router though. 

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2017, 03:19:15 am »
Well I do very little wood work due to a lack of space generally.
My bro in law is a carpenter so any bigger jobs get thrown his way but I try to do smaller tasks myself :)

morton

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2017, 12:46:33 pm »
My bro in law is a carpenter so any bigger jobs get thrown his way but I try to do smaller tasks myself :)

There you are then... Tell you brother in law HE needs a new router... then as a thank you, he should gift you his  :lol

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2017, 12:50:04 pm »

There you are then... Tell you brother in law HE needs a new router... then as a thank you, he should gift you his  :lol

LOL well hes a stingy bugger so doubtful but worth a try ;)

morton

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2017, 11:31:04 am »
Fair enough... You did say "in-law"  :laugh2:

bdn103

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 05, 2023, 09:29:59 pm
    • Classic Arcade Cabinets - FREE arcade cabinet build plans, printable PDFs and CNC plans
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2017, 08:16:33 pm »
I use and like the Hitachi m12vc. I have two of them.

dougdoberman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 11, 2019, 11:32:28 pm
  • Woof!
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2017, 02:02:51 am »
Here's why you buy a good router. 

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,132630.0.html

If you skimp on a drill and it breaks, it probably won't kill you.  Routers are a different story.  Also, if something seems a little hinky, take a moment and think about the consequences of what you're about to do.  Luckily the OP in that thread wasn't hurt, but he should never have used that bit with that baseplate.  Any decent router will have optional baseplates, but you can also make your own in about 5 minutes to save a few bucks. 

My go-to router is the DeWalt 611 which was linked by an earlier poster.  I've got the combo kit, but it sees 99% of its use with the plunge base on it these days.  This is the router I recommend to most people who are in the market.  It'll do everything that the big ones will do, you just need to take a few more passes.  It's full of features and not terribly expensive.

My Ryobi One+ cordless trim router is starting to steal a lot of time from the DeWalt.  Anything that I might have put the fixed base on the DeWalt is typically done with the Ryobi.  I've got their first green model.  I'm planning on upgrading to the just-released green model tomorrow actually.  :)

I've got a DeWalt 618 motor in my small router table and a Porter Cable 7518 in the extension on my table saw.  The 618 sees more duty than the Porter Cable simply because I"m not the type who works in a sensible order, making all the cuts on the table saw and then all the cuts on the router.  And while I can use a drill to quickly raise and lower the router through the table, it's a pain to hafta keep doing that as I go back and forth between using the saw and the router.  And it's even more of a pain if I need to use the fence on the router.  I really need to get the router fence attachment for my Incra system.

Anyone who's at least a hobbiest woodworker should have a router or two.  It's one of those tools that you say, "Eh, I don't really need it.  I wouldn't use it much." until you get it and discover all of the ways it can be used.   Man, I wish that any of my local PBS stations were airing "The Router Workshop." 

If you can't be a good example at least try to be a horrible reminder.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2017, 05:42:23 am »
Cheers doug, I would never buy a cheap router (or any other power tool for that matter) but some are cheaper than others lol

That being said as it happends I have decided to buy the Dewalt set.
Everyone seems to love it so I have put off buying it till next month due to the cost (£250).

But it will be mine... lol

Erzak

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 23, 2021, 03:47:45 pm
  • First cabinet complete, now about that software...
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2017, 12:08:14 am »
I have a really old Black & Decker that I'm not 100% sure where I got (I've never used it).  It does spin, but the depth adjustment seems pretty hokey, not sure how accurate and/or stable it'd be.  I'm in the planning stages for my first cabinet, so will probably pick up a new router.  Is the general consensus that a plunge-base or fixed-base is better suited for things like t-molding slot cutting, routing out the joystick mounts, etc?  I read in another thread that a palm router isn't necessarily the best-suited for this type of work, but the Dewalt that is mentioned above is a palm router, yes?  I saw a Ryobi R1631K at Home Depot that was about $70 that looked decent, but am open to other suggestions.
Thanks,
Eric

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2017, 01:45:55 am »
The dewalt above has 2 based fixed and plunge.

dougdoberman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 11, 2019, 11:32:28 pm
  • Woof!
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2017, 08:43:35 pm »
I have a really old Black & Decker that I'm not 100% sure where I got (I've never used it).  It does spin, but the depth adjustment seems pretty hokey, not sure how accurate and/or stable it'd be.  I'm in the planning stages for my first cabinet, so will probably pick up a new router.  Is the general consensus that a plunge-base or fixed-base is better suited for things like t-molding slot cutting, routing out the joystick mounts, etc?  I read in another thread that a palm router isn't necessarily the best-suited for this type of work, but the Dewalt that is mentioned above is a palm router, yes?  I saw a Ryobi R1631K at Home Depot that was about $70 that looked decent, but am open to other suggestions.
Thanks,
Eric

A lot of the comments about palm routers not being good enough for certain jobs comes from the days when palm routers were really just laminate trim routers with 1/4 or 3/4 hp motors.  Today's quality palm routers are better classified as compact routers.  The Dewalt 611 has a 1 1/4 hp motor which in real-world usage is probably just as powerful than the Ryobi which is listed at 1.5 peak. 

As I mentioned above, the Dewalt 611 combo set is my #1 recommendation to a DIYer or woodworker looking for their first good router.  That said, I've got a lot of Ryobi tools and have been very happy with them.  They're a good sight better than Harbor Freight or Master Force type stuff, without reaching the prices of Milwaukee and Bosch and the other pro brands.  If that was all my budget allowed, I'd be confident that I was getting a decent tool.  I would, though, pony up the extra $20 and get the plunge base model.  It's a little more powerful and the plunge base is just overall more versatile.  It makes many jobs easier to do than a fixed base, including routing reliefs for joysticks.  Just make sure you don't use a bit that's larger than the opening in the base.  :)

If you can't be a good example at least try to be a horrible reminder.

BorgDog

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 22, 2021, 02:22:52 pm
  • Not a hipster for over 50 years!
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2017, 04:29:47 pm »
I have the Porter-Cable 690 series combo kit.  Have had for many years and at one point added a additional fixed base router of the same series so all the accessories work together.  One is mounted in my router table, and the other is for hand use.  Very happy with it, only upgrade I would like occasionally is variable speed, but don't need often enough to justify buying a 4th router (also have an old B&D that lives with just a 1/4" roundover bit in it).

That Dewalt 611 set looks pretty nice too. 
My Projects:
MisSpent Youth a Vigolix bartop,  Little Bastard a rotating tablet/display bartop,
Pin-Dog a mini pin-cab on vpforums.org  Star Wars a wedgehead pincab on vpinball.com

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2017, 09:16:32 am »
Well the postie brought me prezzys today
Thanks for all the input chaps.

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2017, 11:31:12 am »
Well the postie brought me prezzys today
Thanks for all the input chaps.

Congrats!  That's a nicer case than I received with mine for what it is worth.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2017, 11:56:12 am »
Lol ide hope so for the money!

Alphastacker

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 07, 2021, 05:57:06 am
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2017, 11:36:45 am »
Bosch 1617 in cabinet and the Ridgid handheld.  I like them both

dkersten

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 12, 2024, 11:47:30 am
  • If you are gonna do it, do it right..
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2017, 06:57:54 pm »
I acquired my router and other long term tools with man-logic.  We needed a new custom sized counter top in the bathroom, and I could buy one for $300, or buy $100 in materials and a $200 router with a flush trim bit and make one, and then the next renovation would be cheaper.  Over the course of around 10 years of home renovations while married, I built an entire woodworking shop this way. 

I always preferred Porter Cable for routers.  I have the old 693 set with the plunge base (that was the one I got for the counter top), and eventually I pulled off a 3hp Porter Cable for the router table (along with a lift).  I have a small Bosch Colt for small trim jobs (1/8" and 1/4" collet) as well, and while it can muster up the juice to cut a slot for an arcade cab, it really struggles and the base just isn't big enough to keep it stable, so I always go back to the old standby Porter Cable.  Not sure if I were buying new I would go that route though, Porter Cable isn't quite what it used to be.  DeWalt is a good solid choice these days.

drventure

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 25, 2023, 02:23:57 pm
  • Laser Death Ray Bargain Bin! Make me an offer!
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2017, 07:02:31 pm »
I've got a porter cable that I've used for quite a while and it's always been spot on. Probably any of the bigger names would work great. I'd stay away from Harbor freight for routers though <G>

jeffsmith

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 22, 2018, 12:25:05 pm
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2018, 12:23:13 pm »

I use the same router and really like it as well. Works great in both configurations.
I use the Bosch PR20EVSNK Colt Installers Kit 5.7 Amp 1 Hp Fixed-Base Variable-Speed Router with 3 Assorted Bases and Edge Guide.
https://bestpowersaws.com/product/bosch-pr20evsnk-colt-installers-kit-5-7-amp-1-hp-fixed-base-variable-speed-router-with-3-assorted-bases-and-edge-guide/
The Bosch PR20EVSK Colt Variable Speed Router with Edge Guide is a versatile tool that's ideal for performing custom carpentry, trimming laminate flooring or deck planks, mortising hinges, dovetailing, and a host of other at-home and professional jobs. This router packs big power in a small, compact package for extended comfort and maximum accuracy.

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2023, 02:13:35 pm
  • Plenty of skills.. gaining experience..
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2018, 10:28:35 am »
I have a bunch of them - Porter Cable has been the best.  I had a Bosch and had to toss it.. the barrel oxidized and became useless.  That was in a climate controlled shop too..
If I were buying today  - I'd likely go Dewalt..  Everything I have purchased recently Dewalt has been excellent.

fwiw:  I have ~8-9 routers
My Arcade Cabinet Build and other projects here:
Centipede, Joust, Joust Cocktail, Asteroids, Galaga, Ms. Pacman Cabaret, Defender, Space Invaders Cocktail
https://bperkins.wordpress.com/

drventure

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 25, 2023, 02:23:57 pm
  • Laser Death Ray Bargain Bin! Make me an offer!
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2018, 12:46:38 pm »
LinkSys

;D

My vote would be for Porter Cable. However, I've been very happy with a Makita Drill/Hammer driver set that I picked up a while back, if their routers are as nice, then Makita would be a good choice too.

1500points

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 20, 2018, 01:44:12 pm
    • How to succeed at Robotron
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2018, 12:50:13 pm »
This wasn’t too expensive from Menard’s.
Light easy to adjust and accurate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jennifer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2018, 06:04:15 pm »
Jenn would have to say, All the routers mentioned in this thread are quite usable, But at the end of the day you will probibally have multiple depending on what you plan to do....I have a Lamanate trimmer I like because of its small size and gets into tight areas, however on big jobs it gets hot, My Craftsman Is a beast that just won't quit, although it only has a 1/4 inch collet, 1/2 inch bits are in my opinion considerably safer in larger more elaborate cuts and also cost quite a bit more than their smaller counterparts.

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2023, 02:13:35 pm
  • Plenty of skills.. gaining experience..
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2018, 07:48:04 am »
Nice choice on the Dewalt.  I'm betting it has the best price/performance out there today.

My Arcade Cabinet Build and other projects here:
Centipede, Joust, Joust Cocktail, Asteroids, Galaga, Ms. Pacman Cabaret, Defender, Space Invaders Cocktail
https://bperkins.wordpress.com/

morton

• Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2018, 10:29:07 am »
I've got an old Porter Cable that has been fairly reliable. Very basic but works and works well. That said, I'd like to add a laminate trimmer or trim router to the stable for all those times when you don't need a big router to haul about.

Dont cheap out. Youre buying a motor and base and they need to be reliable and solid. Hold a few and  see how they feel in your hands (something im learning with circular saws). Depending on what you'd like to do with it, an older model router can likely be found used and perform much better at the same price point as the value brands.