Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: How to create the monitor framework?  (Read 1800 times)

Ninja69Assassin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 28, 2017, 11:59:37 am
  • I pay for everything I refuse to pay for...
How to create the monitor framework?
« on: April 05, 2017, 06:52:48 pm »
Short and sweet, build the sides for my 60-n-1 jamma, but struggling to figure out how to frame the area where monitor would go...any tips?

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 08:06:32 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
Re: How to create the monitor framework?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2017, 07:34:37 pm »
CRT? Might depend on whether the tube has a frame or not, and if that frame has a spot for the chassis. Mine are just tubes with the metal band around and a loop on each corner. The wooden piece the tube sits on is a rectangle with a cutout also shaped like a rectangle but with the corners cut in like an octagon. The tube fits through, but the loops on the rim don't, so it hangs there. Screwed down, of course. The chassis is mounted to the cab wall, close by so the cables reach. This is for an Australian LAI lowboy cab, btw.

Ninja69Assassin

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 28, 2017, 11:59:37 am
  • I pay for everything I refuse to pay for...
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2017, 08:19:28 pm »
Have a 19" Dell 1908FPb 4:3 monitor. Gotta gave from the folks but hoping it will work. Thinking the cabinet will be 23 inches wide on inside for a total of 24.5inches wide.

The whole mounting, framing, plexiglass, bevel thing is confusing me. Right now, just happy the two sides are exactly the same :) New to woodworking

mourix

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:53:16 am
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2017, 04:17:39 pm »
When you take the foot stand off that Dell, you'll find VESA 100mm mounting screw holes. A side-to-side piece of mdf/plywood with alligned holes and screws will mount that puppy right up.

For the plexiglass there are lots of mounting options, but it all amounts to clamping of some sort. The bezel can be painted on the plexi, or be made of black cardboard if you are scared of painting.

Good luck :afro:

morton

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 23, 2021, 09:36:59 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2017, 02:01:45 pm »
An LCD needs very little support compared to a CRT, so you won't need to over engineer it.

Best to figure out how you want it to look from the outside first. It will possibly dictate how you need to build the mount. Many different ways to do it, none of them inherently wrong if they work and you like it. Find some nice build threads you agree with, and follow their steps at the monitor mounting phase... you will learn and see lots of good stuff. I personally find a few members attention to detail not only impeccable but also very informative and inspiring.