Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: MAME ARCADE GAMES VGA to Component Video *The right way*  (Read 3356 times)

n8lbv

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2017, 12:54:19 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
MAME ARCADE GAMES VGA to Component Video *The right way*
« on: April 09, 2017, 10:11:14 pm »
I'm guessing you will just cringe when even seeing that title! :)   
I'm doing this mainly for fun so I don;t have great expectations but I do think it might work and look pretty cool for older low resolutions games
and I want to at least try.   
I'm a bit of a newbie here but I've done a little bit of research so far.

This is my current understanding of what needs to happen for this to work well.   

1. I need a video card and software that will output 'custom'  lower resolutions and at 15KHz scan rate.
2. I need to convert VGA output to YPbPr in a most 'direct' or with less loss change as possible.   

My understanding is that a lot of all-in one boxes such as this: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=8668
Probably would not work well because they may only accept a certain input range or specific VGA resolutions at 31KHz as well as only output specific (or one specific resolution on the Component video output.) like 480i
And maybe a few others.   

I am wondering if I would be expected to have better success by either "finding a better box" that does what we want -or- 

My original thoughts was can I use two adaptors?     
Go from the special 15Khz VGA on PC to a SCART adaptor such as:  http://amzn.eu/e39QQTF

And the from SCART to YPbPr using something like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/SCART-to-Component-Video-Converter-Retrotek-SCBV1P3-/191876964053?_trksid=p2385738.m2548.l4275

A bit pricey but I have a feeling that is the way to do this.   

Unless there is an all in one box that does this teh right way without messing with the signals and stuff..   
Getting it converted but as directly as possible. 

Then there's the TV itself.  I'm not familiar with Component video and what ranges it is expecting or can work with. 
Does it work fine at lower than 480i?   

And what is MAME/ARCADEVGA typically going to kick out for games like Pac-Man Defender centipede etc... 
Less than 480 right? and will the Sony/Component handle that kind of stuff ok? 

« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 10:26:30 pm by n8lbv »

n8lbv

• Offline Offline
Re: MAME ARCADE GAMES VGA to Component Video *The right way*
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2017, 10:31:44 pm »
::Talking to myself::

It looks like VGA to SCART is just a straight through wiring. 
So the VGA to SKART is likely a bit redundant aside from cabling convenience. 

So I may be back to looking for the "proper RGB to Component YPbPr" conversion device.

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 12:55:20 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2017, 12:28:37 am »
So the VGA to SKART is likely a bit redundant aside from cabling convenience. 

Not exactly. The wiring goes straight through, but on those projector cables normally only pin 13 is connected, not 13 & 14. It's meant to be getting composite sync somehow, and won't blend H+V for you. You'll need to google how to combine sync, and then sort out what's actually relelvant and up-to-date from what's meant for old Sun Microsystems SOG gear, etc. God alone knows how a converter box will want its sync. It'll be in the TV range, but where in that range you'd have to find out.

You're better off with a straight VGA-to-YPbPr transcoder that can handle 250p/480i. Not that I know which one to recommend, but it's not going to be less than USD$120 for anything decent.

Games like Pacman... often run on a vertical monitor. It's not going to be easy to get a that into a neat horizontal mode. Most horizontal games, which really is most of them, are 224p through 256p. You can get that nicely using crt_emudriver and a compatible card. Don't bother with other methods - ArcadeVGA works, but not as well, and is far more expensive; Soft15kHz and other modeline-install methods won't work without severe headaches, and maybe not even then. This is for Windows, btw. Remember that while MAME uses no GPU power *AT ALL*, so the cheapest 5000-series Radeon card is fine, other emulators need more power.

The crt_emudriver site has lists of which cards work, and guide to installing the driver and the modelines, and then GroovyMAME

http://geedorah.com/eiusdemmodi/forum/
http://geedorah.com/eiusdemmodi/forum/
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 12:40:01 am by buttersoft »

morton

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 23, 2021, 09:36:59 am
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2017, 01:32:36 pm »
I am considering hacking a TV for RGB input... I am not sure what model TV you have, but there are plenty of folks who have hacked their TV's to accept RGB at 15khz... more work, less cost. YMMV.

n8lbv

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2017, 12:53:37 pm »
All good information above Thank You. 
Yes having to spend $100+ on a good/proper conversion device is not a surprise. 
I think the Horizontal games would look awesome on this display and running the vertical games like ms pacman would not fill the horizontal screen but would still look acceptable and above average.
Really want to try this for fun and see what it would look like. 

I have a smaller 22" VGA trinitron monitor that I emulate scan lines on and physically flip vertical for vertical games and I'm totally happy with how it looks.
In fact it's the best Ms Pacman reproduction I've ever seen yet.
But could use a larger monitor than the 22" if I want to put it in a cabinet. 
Sorry the photo is terrible not showing the scan line emulation. 
But it looks awesome.

@Morton I am "hacking a TV" but it's not for the purpose of saving cost It's because I have a 27" Trinitron and I think low def games (224/256p) as buttersoft had mentioned above would look really sharp & bright on this display.
The fun/headache/cost ratio is likely to be acceptable here.

morton

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 23, 2021, 09:36:59 am
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2017, 02:19:45 pm »
Yeah, my 27" Trinitron has some geometry issues, I may cut my teeth on that, trying an RGB hack, and doing the convergence... I expect to fail  :lol

As for that Trinitron Monitor... that is one I am looking for in my search for a suitable CRT. I got a VGA666 for my Pi3 and am gonna try a CRT monitor with a DIY scan line generator. Im so cheap... its embarrassing.