Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Replace X-Arcade Tankstick Trackball with U-Trak?  (Read 5219 times)

GeoMan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 23, 2024, 09:40:09 am
Replace X-Arcade Tankstick Trackball with U-Trak?
« on: April 07, 2017, 07:29:31 pm »
Anyone tried to replace the X-Arcade Tankstick Trackball with an U-Trak from Ultimarc?

It will certainly require some woodwork (wider hole, wooden supports) but with Tankstick the trackball is held with screws from the top, U-Trak is mounted with hidden screws from the bottom. The thickness of the wood in the place of the old trackball is about 5mm.

Any thoughts? Will it work?

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
Re: Replace X-Arcade Tankstick Trackball with U-Trak?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2017, 07:05:42 am »
You would be better off to make your own control panel.  If you like the xgaming encoder, you might want to look into sourcing a kade, as it will be cheaper.  There is only so far you can go with a tankstick.
If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.

GeoMan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2017, 07:16:47 am »
I have already replaced the sticks with Ultrasticks 360 and added a spinner (replacing P2 button). The problem is that the trackball died (it worked fine until two days ago) and i guess it is possibly a problem with the wheel encoders circuitry as windows (on 3 different PCs) recognizes it now as an Unknown Device and reporting connection problems.

I already checked all cabling and connections.

So it is a nice opportunity to replace it with something better... the question is: Happ 3" or U-Trak? Happ 3" may be easier to fit.

Cynicaster

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 22, 2021, 12:12:55 pm
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2017, 10:37:49 am »
I have both a Tank Stick and a panel that uses a U-Trak.  Obviously the Ultimarc is nicer, but honestly, even if I were given a U-Trak for free I wouldn't bother trying to adapt it to my X-Arcade.  The added benefit just doesn't seem proportional to the trouble. 

My brother also has a Tank Stick and at one point a few years ago his track ball stopped working.  We contacted X-Gaming and they sent him replacement encoders at no charge, even though he couldn't produce any proof of purchase or anything.  Once we installed those parts, the track ball worked good as new again, and has since (probably 3-4 years ago now). 

GeoMan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2017, 06:06:14 am »
I contacted X-Gaming and i am waiting for their reply. If i can't get new encoders i may replace the trackball with a Happ 3" - it is expensive but as far as i can see it is a direct replacement (no woodworking required).

GeoMan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2017, 04:08:02 pm »
So i got a Happ 3" to replace the trackball in the Tankstick. I had to widen the hole by 2mm with a dremel for the Happ to fit, but everything went smooth! There's simply no comparison between the original X-Arcade trackball and the Happ...

Here's the finished Tanlstick mod everything except the box is replaced with much better components.

suds64

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 25, 2022, 01:44:12 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2022, 12:22:10 pm »
Can you help me with your happ 3 trackball replacement on the tank stick.  Do i need all of the following for this project:

Suzo Happ 3" White High Lip Trackball Assembly
Suzo Happ 3" Trackball Mounting Kit
Suzo-Happ to Ultimarc U-Trak Trackball Adapter
Easily connect a Suzo-Happ or other standard arcade trackball to Ultimarc's I-PAC2 or U-Trak USB adapter.

Does the Happ 3 still work on the Tank Stick - even though i see this note with that trackball - Note: This does not support USB, it has a standard AMOA harness for arcade games.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:12:01 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2022, 02:29:30 pm »
I assume you have an X-Arcade PS2/USB trackball like this one, right?

i see this note with that trackball - Note: This does not support USB, it has a standard AMOA harness for arcade games.
You want a Happ trackball with red boards and a molex connector.  There are adapter cables and optical (mouse) encoders like the Opti-Wiz3, Opti-Pac, IPac2, etc. that will convert the quadrature waveforms from the red boards into USB mouse movements.  Related post here.

Avoid the Happ trackballs with green boards and Happ's built-in USB encoder.

What is the advantage of the red v. green?  Better resolution, more reliable?
The red board (P/N A052-1011-00) is an updated version of the green board. (P/N A052-1010-00)
- The red board has faster response time so it doesn't have problems with backspin which can be a big problem for games like Golden Tee.

If you replace the trackball, get one with red boards and a Molex connector. (white connector, lower right)

Avoid the version with a built-in USB & PS/2 encoder kit (P/N 56-0113-00K) that has the main PCB (P/N 55-0301-00) with the encoder and a satellite optical PCB. (55-0302-00)
- Not obsolete, but not recommended.  Some people have complained about backspin problems.

Scott

suds64

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2022, 10:50:36 am »
Scott Thank you for your help!

This is what I'm going to order and it looks like what you recommened:
(2 Items)

Suzo Happ 3" White High Lip Trackball AssemblySuzo Happ high lip arcade trackball with 3" White ball.
3" White High Lip Trackball assembly.
Original Suzo Happ part number 56-0100-11HL
Highly specialized components provide the ultimate performance trackball for use with Golden Tee Fore and PGA Tour machines.
Tested and preferred by elite "Gold Division" Golden Tee Fore players.
Case is constructed of durable impact resistant polycarbonate plastic material that resists cracking from impact.
"Red Board" PCB has improved circuitry to guarantee an optimized performance signal both at low and high rpm speeds.
Optic board utilizes surface mount technology and superior optics for increased reliability.
Standard AMOA harness included.
Use on updated control panel design for Golden Tee Fore 2003 - 2005 games.
Easy replacement on many trackball games, such as: GLOBAL VR's PGA Tour Golf and Golden Tee Fore, Live, Power Putt, Unplugged, Silver Strike Bowling & Live, by Incredible Technologies

And 

Trackball Cable for Opti-Wiz "No-Solder"

It looks like the Suzo Happ 3" Trackball Mounting Kit is not required?

suds64

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2022, 01:44:31 pm »
Will  this work just as EASILY?

Suzo-Happ to Ultimarc U-Trak Trackball Adapter
Suzo-Happ to Ultimarc U-Trak Trackball AdapterWith this adapter you can easily connect a Suzo-Happ or other standard arcade trackball to Ultimarc's I-PAC2 or U-Trak USB adapter.
One side has 3-pin and 4-pin Dupont pin connectors for plugging into the I-PAC2 or the U-Trak USB kit and the other end has a 6-pin Molex connector to plug the trackball into.
Note: Reference the photos on this page for connecting to your I-PAC2 or U-Trak USB kit once you receive the adapter, printed instructions are not included in the package.

instead of

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:12:01 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2022, 02:38:54 pm »
This is what I'm going to order and it looks like what you recommened:
(2 Items)

Suzo Happ 3" White High Lip Trackball AssemblySuzo Happ high lip arcade trackball with 3" White ball.
3" White High Lip Trackball assembly.
Original Suzo Happ part number 56-0100-11HL
. . .
Those two look good, but you'll also need an Opti-Wiz 3 encoder (w. 72" Micro-USB cable option?) to go with that "no-solder" cable.

It looks like the Suzo Happ 3" Trackball Mounting Kit is not required?
That appears to be the case.

GeoMan posted this external pic of his mod where you can see the trackball carriage bolt heads and the original Tankstick overlay -- no additional mounting plate.

------------------

One other thing that hasn't been mentioned in this thread is that it would be a good idea to connect the Happ trackball's ring terminal with two green ground wires to the Opti-Wiz USB connector shield ground -- AFAIK that's the closest thing to Frame Ground on the Tankstick.
- These wires bleed off the static electricity generated by the acrylic trackball rolling on the steel rollers.

- You can connect them using a ring terminal and 0.020" safety wire wrapped 540 degrees around the outside of the Opti-Wiz Micro-USB housing like the attached image.   ;D

Scott

retrometro

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 08:26:04 pm
    • Arcade, mame, retro... and the gp2x.
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2023, 12:15:06 am »
I assume you have an X-Arcade PS2/USB trackball like this one, right?

i see this note with that trackball - Note: This does not support USB, it has a standard AMOA harness for arcade games.
You want a Happ trackball with red boards and a molex connector.  There are adapter cables and optical (mouse) encoders like the Opti-Wiz3, Opti-Pac, IPac2, etc. that will convert the quadrature waveforms from the red boards into USB mouse movements.  Related post here.

Avoid the Happ trackballs with green boards and Happ's built-in USB encoder.

What is the advantage of the red v. green?  Better resolution, more reliable?
The red board (P/N A052-1011-00) is an updated version of the green board. (P/N A052-1010-00)
- The red board has faster response time so it doesn't have problems with backspin which can be a big problem for games like Golden Tee.

If you replace the trackball, get one with red boards and a Molex connector. (white connector, lower right)

Avoid the version with a built-in USB & PS/2 encoder kit (P/N 56-0113-00K) that has the main PCB (P/N 55-0301-00) with the encoder and a satellite optical PCB. (55-0302-00)
- Not obsolete, but not recommended.  Some people have complained about backspin problems.

Scott

After removing the 4x bolts, how do you remove the X-Arcade trackball unit?  the instructions on x-arcade's site are there but the photo links are down.
-------- gp2x and retro... play it forever! ------------------------
http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=0EE573E86D5A86E0
--------------------------------------------------------------------