Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Anxiety  (Read 10848 times)

knave

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 13, 2023, 03:32:33 pm
Re: Anxiety
« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2017, 04:38:05 pm »

And it does read like Xiaou2 -- he's the only person here who uses ellipses more than I do. But this guy's shift key seems to work, so maybe not.

You have inspired me to look up the proper use of ellipses . . . and it turns out I've been doing it wrong most of the time.

http://www.thepunctuationguide.com/ellipses.html

Thank you!

pixel

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 24, 2019, 05:33:55 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2017, 05:33:40 pm »
People like you are annoying. You spout pseud-science garbage all day, and act like everyone else is ignorant. Every person I have met that talks like you has been an insufferable jerk.

+1

I meditate every day and have for years. About the only true thing I saw in that post was that it is a practice and takes time. I rarely meditate lying down and, if I do is limited to body scans and relaxation before bed. I've never come across a teacher who would suggest it as way to start a practice.

As a dog-owner and parent, I don't get the vibe that the poster has ever had a dog or a child.

And it does read like Xiaou2 -- he's the only person here who uses ellipses more than I do. But this guy's shift key seems to work, so maybe not.

Let's put it to the test. NARCISSIST!

:afro:

Truth is somewhat subjective to your own person experiences, and depth of knowledge.
If you never tried other methods,  let alone know of them... then in many ways,  you can not know/understand these "other" Truths.

There is a saying, something like:   "All roads lead to Rome".    The point being, that there are many paths / methods to get a similar, or same result.    However... there are some methods that produce faster results,  as well as deeper / greater results.   Some paths might get to the Concert ... but never past the gate,  let alone in the reserved front rows, and backstage meetings...

From my study of the subject... and my daily personal experiences... Ive come to believe, that if you are sitting, and or using verbal forms of meditation.. like TM...  these will not attains as deep of a result, because when you are sitting or using your mouth in a verbal way... you are in a far more conscious state.   This means... that you never quite get to the level,  where there is nothing but your conscious mind, in that same room with the Subconscious mind.    More like... you are in the apartment next door to him.   The walls being thick and well insulated... make communications less effective...  even like that of WiFi signal strength loss.   Furthermore,  on your conscious side... you do not have all access to all of the controls.  Such as the light switch to the porch... which is on the other side...   And while you might eventually be able to get the attention of... and ability to communicate clearly to have that switch flipped...  its more of a rarity, and a much longer process.

Even more impacting,  is going with full consciousness into the body-sleep state.   When the conscious mind usually would normally retire with the body... allowing free and full control to the Sub.   Now you are totally in the same room, and you have all the levers and controls...  and it has nothing it can do about it.   Its now forced to follow your will and commands.

As such, its more akin to a parent disciplining their child by a video phone  (or by proxy of another)  ... vs  live in person.

While I do not have children,  I have watched plenty of episodes of  "The Nanny"  (something like that).   And have seen some really hard-case children, change behaviors from parents whom actually followed the strict time-out guidelines that she taught them.   Its was the parents whom only partially adhered to the discipline.. whos children did not change.   As they realized that the parent was breaking under their will... rather than the parents breaking them.

Willpower and Self-Discipline goes beyond children and puppies.  Its a decision we all can make for ourselves.  Such as in diet, or exercise.  If your will power is lacking... you can easily drop the diet, and take lazy-days  off from an exercise routine.   That usually is not so much of a problem...  but having ones mind, emotions, and chemical balance... can cause a lot of suffering, and a great loss in the quality of ones life.

Now, just to be clear.. I have also Meditated in sitting positions,  and have had some amazing sessions / effects.  But... I can be honest in saying,  that they never had the same level of depth and impact.  Meaning... they were like a hamburger... instead of the steak.   Or a person rubbing your shoulders for a moment.. vs  a professional massage session.    When you get to a certain level of skill... you can jump into almost any form of meditation,  and get something of value from it.   Im just feel that starting from a sitting position, makes the jump a bit more difficult,  and takes a lot more time to get a similar result.

The difficulty in the beginning,  from a horizontal position,  is keeping yourself from falling asleep.   That is a very difficult challenge, that most will fail... countless times,  before one can reach that next level.   As such, I recommend trying this at times when you are not tired.. such as in the early morning,  when you have just had a good restful sleep... and are Wide awake.   This will greatly effect your ability to maintain full consciousness through the full color-bath procedure,  without drifting off to sleep, in a few minutes.

But that challenge,  is also what gets you to that deeper level of depth and ability.   If you skip that... then you are limiting your potential development.

I started out with a Guided Meditation, audio cassette.   It was labeled as a 'self-hypnosis'  session,  but it really was a meditation practice... containing all of the typical tools and operation, in meditation.    If you are not sure about starting yourself...  try a few of these.  Some can be annoying, depending on the words used.. as well as the users voice / tone, etc.   One that works great for you, might be impossible for me to bear.   Regardless...  the session should get you to a level of nearly effortless experience,  to where you can start to experiment with your own self-generated meditations.

As for Mikes quote... I can easily understand your hostility,  and your position.   There are many in the field of new-age circles,  that are in fact,  "insufferable".   Damaged goods, if you will.   People whom are a little too  "Out-There"...  more disconnected from reality than seems healthy.   Some whom are fakers and scammers.  Some whom are completely clueless.   Some in it for the money,  some for the attention,  and some for the sake of simply having some kind of position of authority.

I can also tell you,  that I understand your objection,  to things outside of your scope of beliefs.  Especially if you have had some holier-than-thou   religious person / family member... beat you down, about stuff they believe in.   Or have seen or experienced many whom clearly are neither playing with a full deck... but also,  are ignorant to many common knowledge and practices.  Maybe even rejection of them... which seems foolish, and or dangerous  (and may just be... ).

But I can also tell you... that just as there are those whom are ignorant and clueless on the left... there are equal people whom are the same way... on the right.

There are in fact,  countless deep and thorough researchers,  whom without bias,  have studied the effects of Meditation and the mind.  Whos finding have always come back with astounding positive benefits... that they themselves, may have had difficulty swallowing.  And just as sure as they themselves,  may have had Extreme Prejudice into such claims... now they get it...  BUT...  their words of praise and gained wisdom... will likely be largely ignored by the masses,  their peers,  and or the majority of the scientific field.  And certainly... from most youth.   The younger,  the more likely there will be a close mind.

And why is that?

Because most have been trained to react certain ways... since birth.  Some from their parents.  Some from their friends / peers.  Some from the mass media.    As well as the simply fact... that most are too hung up on the EGO / Pride... to accept different possibilities.

You see... most people whom argue,  they do not really seek nor want the truth.   Instead,  they speak up to defend what they like and want to hear / spread.   If someone places a challenge to their beloved knowledge / interest,  they will search out evidence to counter it.   Problem with this... is that the quip they found,  could be out of context.  Could be a fabrication or half-truth. Could be highly unreliable.   And... even with that added bit of data... if they do not have all of the data... they could easily have a huge misunderstanding of the data they already had.

Point being...  that a person whom does not have a pride / Ego  based  BIAS...  has no problem searching and testing,  all sides, and all data... without personal / emotional judgements.   As such, they hold their conclusion, until all data paths have been fully revealed, tested, and weighed... personally.  (as well as possibly checking in with many that have grand depth in these areas,  to bounce their ideas and conclusions off of)

You can easily deny Meditation.  You can live a fine life, without it.   But you can not deny it.  You can not condemn it.  You have no experience with it.  No knowledge of its workings.  No research... nothing but an  emotionally driven response,  along with many poor and false assumptions.   Even assumptions to a persons Character...  trying to tie it to a process.   Thats like trying to tie Trump to Nike sneakers... or the process of Baking cookies.   It makes no logistical sense at all.   Nor is it healthy or productive.

In fact,  your example only really re-enforces one of the attributes that one can gain from meditation and new-age beliefs / wisdoms / practices...   And that is your assigning a Negative label, association, and assumption... to someone and or something... without Any real depth of evidence / experience.    If you scanned people at the mall, you could easily generate 100 poor and completely false assumptions,  based on your externalized observations.   But none of these things hold any value.  In fact, they can be harmful, to even thing / feel / and consider.

An easy example of this... is when a woman I worked with... said that she felt a different woman across the hall,  "Hated"  her.  Something about how she never said hello to her.  Seemed to give her a certain face / look.  And some other dumb things like that.  I mentioned how she could have been dealing with a lot of issues.  That it may have truth or bearing at all.  She refused to believe it.  Yet in less than a week later... she came into the room smiling.  Saying that the woman just started talking to her,  and they had a great conversation in the hallway.   This negative assumption,  not only kept this woman feeling a sense of negativity near her, as well as in this work environment... but also lead to many other such poor assumptions,  to do with race, culture..etc.   All of it, generating a negative feeling inside of her.  In her Mind,  and in her body.  (And in Spirit.. if you believe in this level)    She gave it energy.  She gave it power.   Like a cancer... it only grew in time.

The reality we see, feel, and experience... is like 85% generated inside of our own thoughts, feelings, and assumptions.    Imagine how surprised you would be... if many thousands of bad assumptions were suddenly revealed to you as false.  Your entire way of thinking and feeling... would Radically change.    And rightly so... because most of what we tend to label and think... has a great deal of negativity and negative assumptions.   When one finally drops this auto-generated assigning of doubt, blame, judgement, etc... one frees themselves from the negative feeling that would have been created.. as well as clears the mind, body, and heart... of that "Dirty" heavy, negative state.    Just like taking off a pair of dark, soiled, distorted, scratched, sunglasses off.  The whole world, suddenly is a completely different place.  And your experience and enjoyment, is thus also drastically changed.

This is how it was for me.  As I was very negative in my own past.

Meditation was not the only thing that helped turn me around.  It just happened to be one of the most impacting, the most helpful of all things tried.    A person still needs a lot of enlightened  "Conscious"  read/heard  knowledge and developed skills.  Meditation will take this all,  to a whole other level though.   Without it, many,  such as myself,  would never have made it far enough to even see, let alone seek... anything further than the dark illusions,  that I had trapped myself within.

My advice,  is to learn to open up your mind.. and your heart.   To accept that you do not know half as much as you think you know.  That your experiences are limited, and probably filled with misunderstandings, misinterpretations, and incorrect assumptions.  To seek and strive to be better... every waking moment.  To face ones inner weaknesses, no matter how painful they may feel.  To see the good / light   in everyone,  rather than to look for,  point out,  and or disclose others perceived  'flaws'.  (We are all  "Perfectly Imperfect",  and there is nothing wrong with that)

Learn to accept and love oneself.   Connect with the higher power... Feel it surge though you.  Feel one with it... with,  the universe (Love.  Love is the very glue that holds everything together.  The very driving reason for all existence.. )

Realize we all really are One.   That Negativity you generate,  is Negativity you will Receive in return.  And likewise, positivity... will spread wide and far.  Even a single kindness, or kind sentence,  and change the world.   Like dropping a pebble into the pond... the ripples traveling outwards.  From one person, to the next... even spreading deep into the future.  Helping to form a brighter, lighter, loving world... that we would certainly wish to return to  (Reincarnation).

Nephasth

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 11:02:52 pm
  • Bitches love Centipede
« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2017, 05:40:04 pm »
And the award for the biggest judgmental --cream-filled twinkie-- goes to...
%Bartop

pixel

• Offline Offline
« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2017, 06:26:00 pm »

You have inspired me to look up the proper use of ellipses . . . and it turns out I've been doing it wrong most of the time.

http://www.thepunctuationguide.com/ellipses.html

Thank you!

Good for you Knave  =)

I tend to use Ellipses and comma's a lot...  much like musical notation.   Mostly to define the verbal tempo... and pauses.

I was never that good in school... but I do vividly remember a lesson about the importance and use of pauses.  Both in reading, as well as in how to deliver ones thoughts in an accurate and readable way.    The easiest examples that were given at that time,  were dealing with run-on sentences.   This caused the reader to have to re-read certain sentences,  to try to figure out the intended meaning... as well as the internally generated voice tonalities.   I tend to read, and hear the words spoken, just as if they were being spoken. 

I now wonder.. if some people actually speed-read in such a way,  that just brute forces though the seeming error... and eventually through later context,  piece the full meaning together.    For me, I have to instantly re-read something that does not make sense... or did not 'sound'  right.  Maybe my brain just cant accept the displeasure of an  "off-key note"   Having to play the tune again from scratch.

Ive also wondered... if some drop all emotional content completely.   And or if they even hear the words spoken in voices... or if they have some sort of audio-less version of though.   Or at least, one without the same level of impact.

(much like the color Red that I see.. may be completely different from the one you see)

I do know, that many non English languages seem to put the final meaning structures at the end of the sentences.   I guess what I mean...  is that you are reading blindly, without knowing what the intention is.. until the final word is read.   I would think this is a pretty difficult thing,  for those whom did not grow up doing it.  Maybe requiring a better static memory, to retain the information, while waiting for the finish reveal process.   All very fascinating stuff... really.

Sometimes I think some kids were out to lunch at that lesson.   And then again... I know I was out to lunch, for a lot of other lessons.  Heh  >_<

But one thing I never understood... were those whom were so attached to others words, spellings, and grammar... that they would go pretty much Insane... with someone Else's posts.   I could only imagine factors such as OCD,  being the culprit.  Maybe they just learned to place way too much value on such trivial, and truly meaningless,  things.

IMO,  I dont mind a persons spelling, grammar, punctuation.  I value good positive / informative content.  I value the person for whom they are, and what they stand for...  rather than the way they might write it out.

Anyways, enough ramblings for the day,
 Best Regards to all
 =)

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 06:12:39 am
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #44 on: April 14, 2017, 07:32:39 pm »
Yeah. Not reading that.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

CheffoJeffo

• Cheffo's right! ---saint
  • Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 02, 2024, 01:02:45 pm
  • Worthless button pusher!
« Reply #45 on: April 14, 2017, 07:40:07 pm »
Uh, guys ... that's not Xiaou2, but it does sound a lot like someone else we know.

Someone who would dive right in to posting in EE with new age, preachy, and ---smurfing--- annoying advice.

Heeeee's baaaack!

:scared
Working: Not Enough
Projects: Too Many
Progress: None

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:58:57 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #46 on: April 14, 2017, 09:55:19 pm »
Uh, guys ... that's not Xiaou2, but it does sound a lot like someone else we know.

Someone who would dive right in to posting in EE with new age, preachy, and ---smurfing--- annoying advice.

Heeeee's baaaack!

:scared
Hory shet, who is it???
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

CheffoJeffo

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #47 on: April 14, 2017, 10:14:22 pm »
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 10:22:13 pm by CheffoJeffo »

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 08:37:48 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #48 on: April 15, 2017, 01:42:55 am »
The wear tiny shorts and do stretches in front of children at a playground while filming guy?

« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 10:47:26 am by pbj »

pixel

• Offline Offline
« Reply #49 on: April 19, 2017, 10:09:26 am »
Cheffo is incorrect.

But xiaou2, is like most things.. an ever changing being / persona.

Some seek and choose to grow.  Some choose to remain the same.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #50 on: April 19, 2017, 10:47:41 am »
Welcome back, Steve.  We were worried about you.

:cheers:

CheffoJeffo

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #51 on: April 19, 2017, 10:52:45 am »

I tell you, it's not Xiaou2.

It's the man with many names and the banned accounts to match.

Not driver-man, the other one.

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #52 on: April 19, 2017, 11:22:19 am »

I tell you, it's not Xiaou2.

It's the man with many names and the banned accounts to match.

Not driver-man, the other one.

I concur.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #53 on: April 19, 2017, 11:32:14 am »
Meh, he's Steve to me.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #54 on: April 19, 2017, 11:38:40 am »
I don't know Nemesis, but I'm with PBJ... It sure seems like Steve to me.

CheffoJeffo

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #55 on: April 19, 2017, 11:44:37 am »

He's my nemesis.

You know him as tranq, shorthair, ummon, gray_area, and a host of other identities.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #56 on: April 19, 2017, 11:46:47 am »

He's my nemesis.

You know him as tranq, shorthair, ummon, gray_area, and a host of other identities.
Oh, that dude.

Yeah, HaRuMaN pointed him out to me at sap con one here. I always see him hanging out at the fringes of the event, like a Poindexter enviously watching all the cool kids have fun. I'll take a selfie with him and send it to you, Cheffo.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #57 on: April 19, 2017, 11:50:12 am »
Oh, and I know he reads this site still, because last year he went up to Vigo and asked him if PBJ was at ZapCon. This was after we made all the wisecracks about PBJ showing up.