Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Anxiety  (Read 10846 times)

dkersten

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 12, 2024, 11:47:30 am
  • If you are gonna do it, do it right..
Anxiety
« on: April 07, 2017, 10:29:50 am »
There are a lot of major changes going on in my life right now, and a ton of potential stress that goes along with it.  It has been impacting my health to the point where my doctor is sending me to a cardiologist.  But the thing is, I don't feel like I am specifically under stress or being overly anxious, in fact most of the time I feel pretty chill.  I went through a bout of depression and anxiety about 5 years ago, and it was an entirely different beast.  This time around, I am only feeling it in my chest in the form of heart arrhythmia.  It comes and goes, and doesn't seem to follow what I am stressing about specifically.  In other words, I can be perfectly calm, watching a movie or working on a spreadsheet and it hits me.  My heart starts pounding or fluttering in my chest and it feels hollow and often makes me feel like I need to cough. 

But as a major event is fast approaching (sorry, can't talk about it til next week), I find it getting way worse, and when I AM thinking about all the bad stuff that could come from these changes, it has gotten 10x worse.  It leads me to think that this is definitely tied to the stress and anxiety.  Last night my chest was going crazy, creating weird dreams that fed the anxiety.  At one point I had a weird nightmare that woke me up with my heart pounding, only this multiplied with the already fluttering heart stuff and I thought my heart was going to come out of my chest it was pounding so hard.  Last time I experienced that kind of heart pounding was when someone broke into my house and I was going room by room with a gun looking for them.  To wake up in that state was both annoying and kind of scary.

On the medical side of it, I will be doing a holter monitor for a couple days to monitor the arrhythmia and see if there is something the cardiologist can do, and I have recently had a stress test which was perfect, and in looking for a diagnosis with this current thing I have done a full pulmonary test.  So I'm not looking for medical advice per se.  But as I know at the very least the anxiety is contributing, my question here is if anyone has some advice for dealing with anxiety, particularly when an anxiety attack comes on.  I have some ativan left over from years ago, but I am hesitant to take any since it wasn't prescribed this time, and while it can take the edge off, I don't recall it helping much when I had an anxiety attack 5 years ago.  Last night I tried just focusing on the feeling that everything was going to work out fine even in the worst case scenario, but it took some time to settle down and fall into normal sleep after that.  Are there any home remedies anyone recommends?  Exercises you might have done that helped with this sort of thing?  Anything would help.  Thanks.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:37:55 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
Re: Anxiety
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2017, 10:32:00 am »
Do what your doctor says. Don't listen to anyone else.

markc74

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 11:59:15 am
  • Flipping out
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137295.0.html
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2017, 11:25:48 am »
I've been there - no fun at all. Turns out i had a load of stress in my life that i thought i was dealing with in my stride but wasn't. Once i dealt with the stress, the anxiety attacks pretty much stopped.

Changed my diet (turns out I'm gluten intolerant), got back into exercise and stopped sweating the small stuff. Also got some hypnotherapy that really seemed to make a difference. Once I'd learned to ride them out and see them for what they were (body going into fight or flight mode) it became a lot easier.

Not gonna say avoid drugs because everyone's different but definitely get professional help as it's very tough to deal with on your own.

Good luck  :cheers:

dkersten

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2017, 11:37:56 am »
Do what your doctor says. Don't listen to anyone else.
Oh yeah, I have a long history of heart problems in my family, so anything with my heart I take seriously, almost to the point of being a hypochondriac.  But I'm more thinking along the lines of ways to relax and calm down when you know it is just stress and anxiety causing it.

I've never been able to meditate, my mind is too active for it.  I'm not a big drinker, but a couple beers definitely help on rough nights, although that can come around in the middle of the night and make it worse, lol.  I am not into drugs, so smoking a bowl is out.  Right now, exercise scares me because my heart is already doing weird things in my chest, but I can't help but think that maybe going outside and taking a vigorous walk would help.

Part of the problem is I am under a strict NDA on some of the stuff, so I can't talk openly about it, even with family.  Hoping when that lifts next week a lot of this anxiety will go away.  Doesn't help that I just inked a deal on selling my house of 17 years, and I am going to be dumping my entire life savings into my new home, or that my youngest is graduating high school and my life as a parent of children is over, or that my son is a drug addict who is facing another felony charge AND he knocked up his girlfriend so I will now be a grandpa to boot.  You know, little things like that tend to build up, lol. 
Turns out i had a load of stress in my life that i thought i was dealing with in my stride but wasn't.
I think this is exactly the issue.. I feel like I am taking everything in stride and not worrying about it, but then I turn off the lights and spend more time staring at darkness than getting sleep. 

Most of what is going on is (potentially) major life changes in the positive direction, so if anything I should just be excited and happy.  Sometimes ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- doesn't make sense...

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2017, 11:47:29 am »
I am sorry you are facing all of this stuff all at once. Your doctor should be able to steer you to a mental health professional. They can be an enormous help. My wife saw a psychiatrist for depression. She needed medication, but he also got her into counseling. That led to her ability to deal with life more constructively. She was much happier, and eventually didn't need medication anymore.

knave

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 13, 2023, 03:32:33 pm
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2017, 12:39:23 pm »
Several members of my family have gone through similar situations. Sometimes there is a trigger, sometimes not.

In all cases, getting enough rest, a good diet and increase of exercise helped.
Sometimes in order to get the rest they needed a prescription. Ask your Dr.

We're there for you bud.

shponglefan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 15, 2022, 07:22:35 am
  • Correct horse battery staple
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2017, 08:11:31 pm »
I've dealt with chronic anxiety my whole life.  The two biggest things that have helped me are:

1) Exercise, specifically weightlifting.  I find that even 15 minutes of weightlifting can have a profound impact on my mood and reduction in stress the next day.  It also helps tremendously with sleep.

2) Writing in a journal.  Every night when I go to bed, I write down whatever is on my mind.  For whatever reason, transferring the thoughts in my head to paper help lessen them somewhat.  I find I have a much easier time getting to sleep if I write stuff down beforehand.

Good luck and hope you feel better.  Anxiety sucks.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 08:16:06 pm by shponglefan »

SNAAKE

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 11, 2024, 12:21:50 pm
  • my joystick is bigger than your joystick !
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2017, 08:20:25 pm »
drugs :cheers:

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:29:33 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2017, 09:32:44 pm »
Don't worry about worrying so much.  Ever seen a squirrel?  Ever wonder how something that puny survives in this world?  Pay closer attention.... that poor thing is nervous as hell and this is what keeps it alive.  Anxiety is natural and healthy, it's a defense mechanism.  Just remember that you are in control of it and not the other way around.  Make it work for you. 

pixel

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 24, 2019, 05:33:55 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2017, 12:45:11 am »
Don't worry about worrying so much.  Ever seen a squirrel?  Ever wonder how something that puny survives in this world?  Pay closer attention.... that poor thing is nervous as hell and this is what keeps it alive.  Anxiety is natural and healthy, it's a defense mechanism.  Just remember that you are in control of it and not the other way around.  Make it work for you.

Sorry, but that is a poor assessment / assumption,  which has no basis of evidence.  In fact,  its quite the opposite.

A Squirrels motion is not indicative of its internal mental / emotional  state.

The reason why Squirrel moves quickly,  because its light as a feather.    It has a body that is based on quick-twitch muscle fibers.. rather than of high-strength.. but slower.. fibers.
The same is true of smaller birds.   Where as some of the larger birds,  move a bit more graduated / smooth.   (It might also have a faster heart beat,  as well as a very efficient brain to response ratio... where as humans,  may have a more delayed visual data to brain translation process)

You can see the same thing,  when you compare the speed and acceleration of other smaller / larger animals.    A small house cat.. is far more twitchy / fast..  than a Large lion,  tiger..etc.

Its not typically natural to us.. but with intense and specialized training.. we can develop lightning fast-twitch movements / responses.   We will never be as quick as a lightweight squirrel,  but,  we can achieve some blindingly fast kicks, punches, grabs, slight-of-hand, and wicked dance moves...  ;)

Firepro4Life

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 14, 2023, 05:30:47 pm
Anxiety
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2017, 07:28:10 am »
Sorry to hear about your situation. Having had anxiety my whole life, I know how difficult it can be when it goes into overdrive as life really hits you with a lot at once. I found that what works best for me is to focus on simplifying my life and reducing unnecessary responsibilities and stressors (I know, easier said than done). Sleep, diet and exercise is also critical. Ditch caffeine if you can survive without it. Time outdoors in nature also helps me a lot when I can find the time. One of the previous posters is correct, the best you can do is keep it within a tolerable range but will have to deal with it for life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 07:39:31 am by Firepro4Life »
Arcades:  Big Blue w/Pandora's Box 3, Double DK w/Arcade SD, MVS-U4 w/MAME
In-Progress: Mario Bros.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:29:33 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2017, 11:09:39 am »

Sorry, but that is a poor assessment / assumption,  which has no basis of evidence.  In fact,  its quite the opposite.

A Squirrels motion is not indicative of its internal mental / emotional  state.

The reason why Squirrel moves quickly,  because its light as a feather.    It has a body that is based on quick-twitch muscle fibers.. rather than of high-strength.. but slower.. fibers.
The same is true of smaller birds.   Where as some of the larger birds,  move a bit more graduated / smooth.   (It might also have a faster heart beat,  as well as a very efficient brain to response ratio... where as humans,  may have a more delayed visual data to brain translation process)

You can see the same thing,  when you compare the speed and acceleration of other smaller / larger animals.    A small house cat.. is far more twitchy / fast..  than a Large lion,  tiger..etc.

Its not typically natural to us.. but with intense and specialized training.. we can develop lightning fast-twitch movements / responses.   We will never be as quick as a lightweight squirrel,  but,  we can achieve some blindingly fast kicks, punches, grabs, slight-of-hand, and wicked dance moves...  ;)

No you are wrong, but this isn't the best place for such arguments.  I just used a squirrel as a random example, but there are plenty of papers on the animal kingdom and their heightened fight or flight response (aka stress).  I suggest you read them.    You somehow think I meant speed when in fact I meant the amount of times a squirrel rapidly scans it's surroundings, ect. Next time perhaps you should be the one that makes sure they know what they are talking about. 

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:47:56 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2017, 11:41:05 am »
Get your testosterone checked.

(all of you)

:cheers:

dkersten

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2017, 02:55:25 pm »
Thanks guys!

Last night I took a half of an ativan and kicked back to watch a movie.  Yesterday was by far the worst day of this since it started a little over a month back.  I was quite relaxed last night and started feeling much better, although the heart palpitations were still coming on once in a while.  This morning I woke up feeling great, no heart stuff going on, no anxiety at all.  And after I ate some breakfast and sat down to do some work, it all came back, lol. 

Thankfully there is no depression, and I intend to keep it that way.  I went through a complete chemical imbalance several years ago and I have a pretty good idea of what to look for there.  I am far from depressed, and if anything, I am manic right now, which could be just as bad.  A LOT of things are happening in my life, and a big part of it will culminate on Monday, which will hopefully ease some of this stress.  Almost none of my co-workers know what is going on, and it sucks knowing that their lives will be changed on Monday, quite possibly for the worse.  I can't say anything, and that part really sucks.  But mostly there is a ton of really good stuff coming up, and while there is a little anxiety that it will all fall apart before it happens, even the worst case scenario isn't going to horrible, just a lot of change. 

I do fear heart problems.  My mom had her first angioplasty at 48 and her first open heart at 50.  I am 45.  Her dad died of a heart attack at 50.  My father ended up with open heart surgery later in life as well, so I am getting hit from both sides of the family on the heart problems.  BUT, I don't smoke, seldom drink, don't do drugs, and my cholesterol is under control (due in part to a horse pill I take every day, but it is under control).  I had a stress test a year ago and it was fine, and that is a very predictive test for blockage, so I am not worried about blockage.  But there is always that fear.  My mother has had 2 open hearts, had a pacemaker put in recently, and has had several other procedures over the years.  It is a miracle she is still with us, and is doing very well. 

Regarding Howard's comments, the problem with being in a nervous state for too long is it changes your chemistry and can be hard to reverse.  Once the source of this current anxiety is gone, I don't want the side effects to stick around.  Like I said, I had an issue about 5 years back where some foundations in my life collapsed and I had a complete emotional break.  It took over a year to feel "normal" again, and in the process I lost nearly 50 lbs.  There are parts of my life that are still affected by that period, and I have felt more or less "normal" for nearly 4 years.  I have dealt with far more stress than this over the years, but I don't want my current physiological reaction to become "the norm".  This kind of anxiety is not a normal state for me, and I refuse to get used to it and just deal with having it in my life.  I will find the stability I need in my life, sooner or later.   

I did do counseling back when I was having depression and going through all that really bad stuff.  I also tried journaling, and it helped because I had used my friends to talk things out so much that I knew they were sick of hearing it.  Funny thing was, I tried to channel that pent up emotion into writing but it didn't work.  I wrote my first novel before this happened, and it ended up taking me five years to edit and publish.  That period of time was more about the inability to write than being too busy.  I know some authors can channel all the bad stuff in their lives into some really good writing.  I am not one of them. 

Anyway, thanks for the feedback everyone.  I appreciate it all, particularly given that most of my anxiety is caused by "first world problems"... On the surface it feels kind of petty to be stressing about my life when I have been so fortunate in life.  I guess all I can say about that is it doesn't matter how lucky you are in life, how successful, or how much better you might have it then your neighbor, you can still be knocked on your ass by something you didn't expect, just like anyone else. 

The crazy thing is I still don't feel like I am anywhere near my limit for what I can deal with in my life right now, but I do think it is taking a toll.  There is a clock ticking away on how much longer I will be in my home (a home that I have spent 17 years customizing to fit my life), and while on paper I am figuring out my next moves, I think my subconscious is having a hard time with the idea that I won't live here soon.  I won't really know my new job for a few more weeks, or if all the benefits I will lose will be compensated for or not.  Despite all that (and a lot more), I feel like I could take on a lot more.  It seems my heart is not agreeing with me though, lol.

dkersten

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2017, 02:56:04 pm »
Is this your way of saying "Man up, snowflake." ?

fallacy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 23, 2024, 12:27:45 am
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2017, 04:30:21 pm »
Watch Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead. After watching it 6 years ago I still take it as gospel all you need to stay healthy is a none processed food diet, Daily 30-minute exercise to increase your heart rate and regular 8 house of sleep.
Half way through the documentary he talks to a fat truck driver that had the same condition he has, was on tons of medication and was getting close to death. He offered his help and ended up getting a call from him few months after the documentary and flew out to help; they showed him start his new diet and exercise and at the end he lost 200 pounds was off all his medication.

https://www.netflix.com/watch/70173634?trackId=13752289&tctx=0%2C0%2C2862905a2d3f6004fa18f2682abc1899304a07a9%3A953a374bf159c436afba3e85883116b5ea04b6f9

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2017, 06:02:25 pm »
Is this your way of saying "Man up, snowflake." ?

Nope, not at all.  It's a sincere suggestion, look up the symptoms of low testosterone and you might be surprised. 

dkersten

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2017, 01:04:55 pm »
So yesterday it was announced publicly, my family business was bought by a large publicly traded company along with a couple other companies like ours.  The announcement hasn't taken much weight off my shoulders though.  It is nice that I no longer have to hide it from all my co-workers and my kids and friends, but so far it hasn't changed much.
 There is some nervousness, some excitement, some dread, etc, but I still don't feel like this should be making my heart do gymnastics in my chest.

I'm wearing a holter monitor now, so I will know in a few days if this is something that needs further investigation/treatment or if it is just some heart palpitations from stress.  Last night sucked, I was tossing and turning all night, and having to be careful not to pull any wires off.  When I am having trouble sleeping, the only position that helps me get to sleep is on my stomach, and I couldn't do that with all the wires attached. 

Of all things, I had an anxiety dream about money.. it was really weird too, something about having written a check for like $38k and it bounced and I spent the money on other things and didn't know it didn't clear until someone showed up at my door asking me to pay the bill... It makes me wonder if I forgot to pay someone recently or something.  Money has been going out like water from a sieve, but I'm pretty sure I am covering all my bases.  Stupid dreams...

Found an apartment yesterday in a nice new and very modern complex, and it meets all my needs until the house is built and will allow me ample time to get moved.  Met the buyers for my house last night too, and got showered in compliments for the work I've done to the house.  And I have my first engineering meeting on the new house tomorrow, which I am excited for.  Aside from the heart stuff, I am actually pretty excited and looking forward to the next few months, yet I can't help but think this heart stuff is all anxiety related.

I guess my whole life I have experienced a balance - for every good thing that happens, no matter how much hard work it took to get it, there is an equally bad thing that has to happen to balance it out.  Perhaps this health issue is the balance for the culmination of a lot of hard work. 

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2017, 02:14:16 pm »
So you're all rich now?  Sweet.

dkersten

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2017, 04:57:16 pm »
So you're all rich now?  Sweet.
Define rich.

At best I am a little more comfortable than I was.  Someday there will be something to leave behind to my kids, but I'm not going to stop contributing to my 401k, and I probably won't be shopping for a Lamborghini any time soon, unless it is at a hobby store and the car is 1:24th scale.

In the mean time, I'm still waiting on my new job title and offer.  Still fairly chaotic despite months of planning.  I know I have about 3 years of work ahead of me, but I'm not certain it is the kind of work I want to spend 3 years doing or how much they intend to pay me to do it, lol.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2017, 05:05:04 pm »
Ah, I get you.  Rich enough to have a stainless steel fridge, not rich enough to fix the dent.

dkersten

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2017, 07:09:51 pm »
Ah, I get you.  Rich enough to have a stainless steel fridge, not rich enough to fix the dent.
You nailed it on the head.

pixel

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2017, 11:44:05 am »
You may not want to hear it...  but daily Meditation sessions should Drastically reduce and or completely eliminate your problem.

Best time for me... was 1hr before bed.  Should be quiet in house. Early morning is another good timeframe.

Start out lying down
 close eyes.
 Breath in thru nose.  Long, slow, and controlled breaths.
 Feel and be aware of the feeling of air moving in the body
 Count the seconds from 1 upwards... on how long it takes to fill completely

Exhale through the mouth.
 Feel and be aware of the feeling of air moving out of the body
 Count the seconds, from 1 upwards... on how long it takes to exhale completely

- As you count, I personally find it helpful to use the  "one-thousand"  pause.  So,  "one - onethousand,  two - onethousand... "  ...etc
 - I also found it nice to imagine drawing these numbers in the sand, as I counted them.

---

The more advanced version of this... is called a "Color Bath".   It was my favorite version, that had the greatest impact.

Same as above but with visualizations:

- Imagine breathing in colored smoke / energy / light
 - Imagine it slowly filling the body with this warm positive healing energy, much like liquid... from the nose up to the head,  then down the neck to the arms. Down the chest to the toes.

- When you exhale, pull the energy out in the same way... in reverse.  Feet upwards... ending thru the mouth.  Envision the smoke coming out as being dark, black... and as you are pulling the energy out... you are removing all of the negativity, stress, etc.. out of the body with it.

- Start with the color Red, and work your way through the full spectrum:

Red
 Orange
 Yellow
 Green
 Blue
 Purple
 White

Try for at least 5 min per color cycle change.   Thats at least 35 min. + a little to get into it... so about 45 min total.
 - Try not to move at all during the process.  If your body does not move for about 7 minutes... it will start going into sleep mode
 - If you can maintain your awareness, while the body goes to sleep... you have made it to a higher level.  Benefits will grow greatly, in time.
 - Do not miss a single day.  If you miss a day.. its like you slide backwards, losing all of your progress.
 - If you make it to about 2 to 3 months deep... a huge positive change will happen... and it will be Permanent.  You will develop "Quiet Mind",  a state of near-perfect silence and tranquillity, inside of yourself,  at all times.

- If you reached that state of progression... you can choose to stop all meditation,  and you will still retain this new-found level of inner peace.  Your quality of life will increase dramatically.

- At first... your subconscious mind will try to fight the process.  Its like a 20 undisciplined puppies, trying to pull you in every which way...
  It will make you feel like you are wasting your time
  It will make you feel like you itch and feel the need to move to scratch these itches
  It will try to pull your thoughts and attention to other things

Keep at it... and you will tame the inner beast.  Getting it to work for you, rather than against you.
 Also, being that the Subconscious mind controls the body... a greater connection to this... will aid in faster healing, and better health

- The more you do these... the more you get used to it.. the once long feeling sessions, feel like only a few minutes.. and are relaxing and enjoyable
 - Do not use music in these sessions.  Should be dead quiet.  White-noise at most.. such as fan noise.
 - As you do the energy movements..  in maybe the 3rd week... you will actually feel heat / warmth flowing into and through you. Down to the very cellular level...
 - Results are more of a Richter scale.  Staring out nearly invisible for a long while... and nearing the end... becoming Drastically impacting.

It was the best thing Ive done for myself,  to improve my life, period.  I cant recommend it enough.

Finally, a Recent Scientific Study of meditation effects,  used before and after MRI scans of the brain.
 The results showed that after their trials (one or three months?  cant recall),   the brain actually grew in connections, and density.  Age did not matter... the brain still changed... permanently.

Furthermore,  I personally believe prayer, is the corrupted and watered down version of Meditation.
 You may find, as I did... that a connection to the higher power... may occur,  when one is 'clean' enough.   Its an amazing feeling.  Real waking "Nirvana", even if fleeting...

You have nothing to lose, and everything to gain.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2017, 11:52:38 am »
Are you Xiaou2?

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2017, 12:37:32 pm »
Why didn't I think of mysticism? That's brilliant. Doctors are wasting their time. Just use the force.

dkersten

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2017, 02:11:21 pm »
Are you Xiaou2?
I thought the same thing, lol!

Why didn't I think of mysticism? That's brilliant. Doctors are wasting their time. Just use the force.
I'm not much of a believer in Eastern Medicine, but I don't discredit it completely.  I went through physiological changes back when I was struggling, and it was purely due to factors that in the simplest terms, were "all in my head".  Nothing physically altered my brain chemistry, but without question the depression I had was not just "the blues" where all I needed was to be cheered up.  It was a chemical imbalance that was not going to correct itself.  Even on my best days, I couldn't shake the weight I felt on my whole body.  If emotions can physically affect your body with lasting effects, why couldn't getting your emotions under control with something like meditation heal those effects?  In fact, ultimately it was the counseling that helped me get my chemical balance straight again, as well as making changes in my life that affected my emotional status.  For a time I used chemicals (prescription anti depressants) to help, but that stuff is like ibuprofen for a headache.. it will ease the symptoms but doesn't actually treat the underlying cause.  At best, using antidepressants (i.e. western medicine) just speeds up the process that counseling will fix.  Meditation is just another way to calm your emotions and heal your chemical imbalances, IMHO.

Thanks for the suggestions Pixel, I'm not sure I could do any kind of productive meditation, for me meditation comes in the form of reading a book, watching a movie, or getting out in the shop to work on some project.  My mind clears and I can let it wander during those times, not focusing on the things that stress me out.  If I sit in a room with no distractions I get antsy because I always feel there is a better use for my time.

I turned in my holter monitor today, I will have results next week.  Today has been better than yesterday, but it always gets worse at night.  I did sleep really hard last night, although I wasn't able to get to bed until after midnight.  The transformer outside was leaking and causing my house voltage to drop (brown out) and I ended up calling the power company and they sent a guy out right away, and ended up replacing the transformer pretty late.  I talked to the guy a little after midnight, but all my neighbors got a door bell to inform them the power would be off.  Oh well, they aren't going to be my neighbors for much longer.  After that I crashed hard despite all the wires, and the sleep did me good, all 6 hours of it, lol.

harveybirdman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 19, 2024, 12:40:25 pm
  • SHMUP'EM
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2017, 03:44:10 pm »
Are you Xiaou2?

SAINT!!!!!

GIVE US REP NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+100 hypothetical REP for PBJ!

pixel

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2017, 11:38:54 am »
Thanks for the suggestions Pixel, I'm not sure I could do any kind of productive meditation, for me meditation comes in the form of reading a book, watching a movie, or getting out in the shop to work on some project.  My mind clears and I can let it wander during those times, not focusing on the things that stress me out.  If I sit in a room with no distractions I get antsy because I always feel there is a better use for my time.

Im sorry man,  but this is exactly Opposite to meditation.

Meditation is Not letting the mind wander.  Nor is it distraction.

Meditation is a form of training and disciplining the Sub-Conscious mind.

The very fact is.. our minds are in fact... "Out of control",  due to our Subc. being completely undisciplined, and as a result... its like our minds are a bunch of puppies... pulling our thoughts all over the place, distracting us, disrupting our peace and full enjoyment in life (the present.  The "Gift")

We have grown to accustomed to accept this... but it does not have to be this way.   Just as you can train a puppy... as well as discipline an unruly child... via  "Time Out".

When your child gets up from time-out...  you have to place them back there immediately.  The child will fight you every step of the way.  If you let up... they will accept that you are defeatable / defeated.. .and continue to push their boundary's and bad behaviors.

You may have to sit them back there several times in a hour.   And when they repeat the behavior another time... you have to repeat the punishment... until.. it finally sinks in,  that you will not tolerate this behavior anymore.   That the result will always be the same. That they will have to change.   You have to break their bad intention willpower.  To Re-Program them.  To teach them proper discipline and behavior.

Your minds subconscious however,  is still at the child-like state.  Often running some very bad programs, that sabotage your very life, in many ways you do not even realize.   All of your best conscious efforts, can easily be submarined by the negative programs of the subconscious mind.

Meditation is the Time-Out tool.   However,  its a little more than just sitting there.  For the Subconscious mind... allowing it to wander free... is not punishment.  That is its freedom.    Instead,  you give the Subconscious mind a drone task.  Something it can not escape away from.   In meditation... that task is to focus on the internal feeling of the breath, counting the seconds, and the visualizations.

Together... all of these need constant work... and so the subconscious can not 'escape'.  Can not drag your thoughts away.  Its simply too busy.  The tasks also makes it easier for the Conscious mind, to snap it back to focus when it Tries to escape.

Just like trying to tame puppies... or a child...  it takes a lot of training time.   It does not happen in a single session.  And being that we have allowed this spoiled little child to develop to full adult-hood this way... its even longer a process than both said examples.  In this case...  maybe 2 to 3 months of daily 45 min - 1hr sessions.     If you skip a day... its even worse than the bad child example.  The mind immediately throws the training out the window... and discards it as it nothing was done.  But if you keep at it... the brain will eventually change.

The subconscious will finally turn from wild pups, to fully grown dogs that are sitting upright, quietly, with full attention, ready and waiting for your commands.   Old negative programs will be wiped out.  Health and peace of mind will change.  Perspectives will shift. Life will become easier, and more enjoyable.  The subc. will start seeking out things for you, to aid in your life... running more positive programs.

The conscious mind, will also gain more power and control.  Especially since, when you had it running full tilt, when the body was in sleep-mode...  you have linked it more to the realm of the subconscious mind.  You gain a better communication channel.  And so things work together so much better,  as a result.  You both merge on a greater level... rather than fighting each other.

Multi-Thousands of studies have been done on mediation benefits.. and the results are staggering.
You can choose to ignore them all... choose to believe that the science is  "Magic",  and cant possibly work... and or choose to
remain ignorant, and or repeat the same behavior... or..   you can take simple, easy, gamble.  One that pays 1 billion to 1,  and cost not a single penny,  if you lose.

Trust me, it will be the biggest and best thing, you could ever do for yourself.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2017, 11:43:36 am »
People like you are annoying. You spout pseud-science garbage all day, and act like everyone else is ignorant. Every person I have met that talks like you has been an insufferable jerk.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2017, 11:44:04 am »
Are you Xiaou2?

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 08:00:17 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2017, 03:17:41 pm »

Man, that is a really well crafted analogy that I'll be stealing. 

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:02:22 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2017, 04:37:10 pm »
Are you Xiaou2?
It's gotta be. New account...  3 posts.... same word patterns...
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

harveybirdman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 19, 2024, 12:40:25 pm
  • SHMUP'EM
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2017, 04:40:44 pm »
Are you Xiaou2?
It's gotta be. New account...  3 posts.... same word patterns...

Rumors of his death were greatly exaggerated...

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2017, 04:50:33 pm »
Hey, who here gets fatigued playing video games? Raise your hands.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2017, 04:58:29 pm »
Hey, who here gets fatigued playing video games? Raise your hands.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2017, 05:07:23 pm »
You sir, are a gem.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2017, 05:09:54 pm »
Steve, I hope it's you. I know we give you a lot of crap, but I hope life is treating you well.

dkersten

• Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2017, 07:00:07 pm »
We need a like button here..

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 08:00:17 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2017, 11:23:52 pm »
I don't care who it is, I don't take parenting/dog raising advice from arcade forums.  Just a guideline of mine.  That post is weird.

CheffoJeffo

• Cheffo's right! ---saint
  • Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 02, 2024, 01:02:45 pm
  • Worthless button pusher!
« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2017, 02:06:50 pm »
People like you are annoying. You spout pseud-science garbage all day, and act like everyone else is ignorant. Every person I have met that talks like you has been an insufferable jerk.

+1

I meditate every day and have for years. About the only true thing I saw in that post was that it is a practice and takes time. I rarely meditate lying down and, if I do is limited to body scans and relaxation before bed. I've never come across a teacher who would suggest it as way to start a practice.

As a dog-owner and parent, I don't get the vibe that the poster has ever had a dog or a child.

And it does read like Xiaou2 -- he's the only person here who uses ellipses more than I do. But this guy's shift key seems to work, so maybe not.

Let's put it to the test. NARCISSIST!

:afro:
Working: Not Enough
Projects: Too Many
Progress: None