Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Big Buck Hunter Pro Open Season KIT  (Read 7224 times)

SCking

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 12:31:32 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Big Buck Hunter Pro Open Season KIT
« on: March 30, 2017, 10:40:52 am »
Ok. So I got my hands on a BBHPOS arcade kitted machine. (Not a dedicated cabinet). All work ok but gun calibration was off and old CRT monitor had lost all red.  So I figure easy fix.  Go buy TV with VGA input and all is done.  Which I did.  Looks great. But no calibration at all.  Screen flashes white when I attempt to calibrate.  Nothing takes........

Resolution is 640 x 480    VGA

Thanks in advance!!! 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JimmyU

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 10:19:27 pm
  • I believe I can fly!
Re: Big Buck Hunter Pro Open Season KIT
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2017, 10:50:36 am »
Light guns don't work on LCD TV's.

SCking

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2017, 12:56:41 pm »

Dang!!   Thanks for info.  Any way to fix?  Adapters?  Or different style somewhat modern TV ??    Thanks again

aldub516

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 29, 2018, 03:32:46 pm
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2017, 01:04:11 pm »
my minimal gun knowledge from reading around here is that there is no perfect solution for lcd tvs and guns. Id assume there is no nearly perfect way to emulate it properly on a big buck machine even more so.. But again thats my limited knowledge on guns

Automark

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 24, 2023, 03:55:08 pm
  • Arcade in Spain ?
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2017, 01:04:34 pm »

omg, when I read your post I thought "no he didn't" but yeah

No, a lcd will never work, just fix your old CRT, that should be easy. Hope you didn't throw it in the dumpster

Automark

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 24, 2023, 03:55:08 pm
  • Arcade in Spain ?
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2017, 01:06:11 pm »
hm, just found this

! No longer available

SCking

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2017, 02:50:13 pm »
I still have CRT....  but I cut the cabinet down to get a more show room style machine.  So I am trying to go from this

To this.

Thanks

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:09:19 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2017, 03:29:13 pm »
hm, just found this

! No longer available

That video is absolute ---That which is odiferous and causeth plants to grow---.

jimmyfloyd

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 15, 2020, 12:30:21 pm
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2017, 10:32:33 pm »
Raw thrills put out two cabinets for BBHPOS: The 27" Upright and the Showpiece, along with 2 upgrade kits for this time. They each had different manual, which you can find here: http://rawthrills.com/manuals/

The Showpiece and the Upright, while they run the same game, they each use different peripherals. If your guns don't connect to a board which connects to the computer via USB, then the LCD most likely won't work for you.

I have no clue what you would need to make it work, but I did see that a lot of the part numbers were different.

SCking

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2017, 08:42:40 am »
It's def a bbhpos kit. The monitor/tv I'm trying to use is a 32" LED TV. Was wondering if anyone knew if another style of TV would work.  Plasma maybe? Or is the CPU, I/O, guns strictly for the old CRTs??   Any info is appreciated.  And also all info given so far is all greatly appreciated !!!!    I see the newer Model BBH around town using flat screen televisions.   

Ian

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2021, 01:50:35 am
  • "A day without Laughter is a day wasted"
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2017, 10:16:38 am »
It's def a bbhpos kit. The monitor/tv I'm trying to use is a 32" LED TV. Was wondering if anyone knew if another style of TV would work.  Plasma maybe? Or is the CPU, I/O, guns strictly for the old CRTs??   Any info is appreciated.  And also all info given so far is all greatly appreciated !!!!    I see the newer Model BBH around town using flat screen televisions.   

Light guns are strictly for CRTs only. I assume the newer bbh models have newer guns that come with some sort of sensors... kind of like a Wii remote.
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

jimmyfloyd

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 15, 2020, 12:30:21 pm
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2017, 11:55:34 am »

Do you have a picture of what you have? Since you mention you had the CRT, you most likely have the light guns, which as several people here have mentioned, will NOT work with anything but a CRT. The video that wa posted explains the theory and details of how the lightguns work.

In my previous response, I posted a link to the manuals for the BBH series. You can go there and look at the one for the 27" cabinet and the 42" cabinet to see the differences. At the end of each is a list of part numbers. You'll be able to determine which I/O board you have by matching the part number from it to that manual. There are also manuals for the 2 kits, so you may want to check there as well, since you say you have a kit in a non-dedicated cabinet. Once you know which of the 4 versions you have, you'll be able to better determine what you need. I assume that the Kitted versions are just CRT vs LCD versions like the 27" and 42" are.

With that said, I believe you probably have 2 options to get it to work:

1) Fix or replace the CRT for the cabinet. Since you've cut the cabinet already, you'll probably need to figure out how to mount it again.

2) Purchase all of the pieces needed to change over to the other version. This is probably going to be pricey, as you'll need new guns, gun board, I/O board, etc. The computer may also be different. I am not too familiar with what changed to be able to say for sure.

Light guns are strictly for CRTs only. I assume the newer bbh models have newer guns that come with some sort of sensors... kind of like a Wii remote.

This is correct. There is a new LED board shown in the Showpiece cabinet that I believe is the "sensor bar" for the new guns. The guns have separate part numbers between the versions as well.

ed12

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2018, 03:44:39 pm
  • it is what it is..."Nobody Said It Was Easy"....
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2017, 12:06:16 pm »
it fully depends on his black hawk computer and s/w loaded if he can up grade to lcd guns
as with most of there stuff it takes a bit to cross platform them
:ie: i/o board to gun/monitor type-i/o board to s/w loaded on the hard drive (even if the black hawk ) will take it ?
it is still 50/50 because of there nasty video card swaps

ed
Shipping something from the U.S. to Canada for repair/exchange?  Please use USPS to avoid (additional?/excessive?) shipping charges.  PM me if you have any questions.

SCking

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2017, 04:27:13 pm »
Ok.  Here are pics. 
I started with this......

Gutted it and put in a cabinet like this.....

Cut it down.  Now I have this......

Looks pretty cool.  But again no gun calibration.     

Here are the guts.....

Thanks again everybody !!! 

SCking

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2017, 05:09:20 pm »
To prove bad I/O board theory ( to myself ).   Hook up a CRT monitor.   And worked perfectly. 

Starting to think I put the carriage in front of the horse.........

SCking

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2017, 05:57:45 pm »
To prove bad I/O board theory ( to myself ).   Hook up a CRT monitor.   And worked perfectly. 

Starting to think I put the carriage in front of the horse.........

*disprove*

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 04:21:02 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2017, 08:46:24 am »
Cut your losses. Sell whatever you didn't saw apart. You are just going further down the rabbit hole.

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:05:20 am
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2017, 03:00:31 pm »
never in a milion years with this system work with an LCD/PLASMA/LED/CONVERTOR BOARD

it just doesn't work that way. THIS is how BBH works with arcade....

long story short, it uses the way the monitor operates to time a signal and to tell where on the screen you are pointing. LCD/PLASMA monitors don't operate in the same way. therefore the timing fails.

long story long, when you pull the trigger, the I/O board displays alternating white/picture frames for 20 frames (10 picture/10 white)... the timing is counted each white frame. the monitor takes 16.67 milliseconds to draw the white frame. 16.67 milliseconds for a picture frame, 16.67 milliseconds for a white frame... and so on. what portion on this 16.67 milliseconds it takes for the optical sensor in the gun to register light is where on the screen the gun is pointed. at most it compares 10 frames of white, but often only uses about 3 or 4 of them to accurately measure the position.

if you press and hold the trigger on the gun in the gun calibration test screen, you can see a graphical representation of what it's picking up, as well as how many frames it's using to get that position.

an LCD/PLASMA display displays an ENTIRE FRAME at a time there is no "drawing" of the screen. the screen updates in it's entirety every 5 (or so) milliseconds. the game thinks you are pointing at the extreme top left hand corner because it IMMEDIATELY senses light as soon as the frame is updated on the panel.

ed12

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2018, 03:44:39 pm
  • it is what it is..."Nobody Said It Was Easy"....
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2017, 03:41:56 pm »
thk -u shawn
thats exactley what i was trying to say
in short fourm of couse

ed
Shipping something from the U.S. to Canada for repair/exchange?  Please use USPS to avoid (additional?/excessive?) shipping charges.  PM me if you have any questions.

SCking

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2017, 04:46:12 pm »
I see.  Thank you everyone for the help/info !!!!   Please if any scientific breakthroughs occur in the near future PLEASE fill me in. Thanks again!!!   I'm off to go buy some wood glue....   hahahah