Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Clear button illumination help needed  (Read 1830 times)

brihyn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 31, 2020, 04:29:27 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Clear button illumination help needed
« on: April 07, 2017, 09:33:31 am »
Hey all, need some help, and time's running out quickly for me to finish the cab.

My "customer" is wanting clear buttons on the CP that would light up to the appropriate colors on power own (basically i need RGB colors but the color will be static). IE, red for player one, blue for P2, etc.

I picked up the clear IL buttons from Paradise (https://paradisearcadeshop.com/il-psl-cv-transparent/1449-il-pslcv-translucent-white.html) and the RGB pads (https://paradisearcadeshop.com/button-leds/101-il-lumination-5vdc-rgb-led.html), but obviously the LED's i bought were wrong.
Paradise suggested the correct LED's (https://paradisearcadeshop.com/button-leds/100-il-lumination-rgb-5vdc-led-.html) but they're no longer in stock.
So what is my option. Paradise hasn't responded to emails and like I said, i'm quickly running out of time to get this thing finished.
Are the Pele rings an option? if so, does anyone have  a picture of how I actually install them? (I don't mind if just the outer ring is lit, i just need something lit up)
Are there other options from other vendors to light up the buttons I have?
I would even be ok (though it's not preferred) if I need to replace the buttons entirely with different clear buttons and LED's, but haven't found a suitable option available for concave buttons...
sooo...help me out...what are my options to get these things lit?

raph

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 11, 2022, 11:42:35 pm
  • Gradually adding bells and whistles to a stock cab
Re: Clear button illumination help needed
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2017, 01:27:57 pm »
Those LEDs will work. You need wire and depending what LED controller board you have, you may want connectors. If you don't have a controller board, then you can wire them straight to power tapped from the computer, but I have to admit I have never done that so someone else will have to reply.

There is a diagram here: http://support.paradisearcadeshop.com/support/solutions/articles/14000026298-5vdc-rgb-il-lumination-diagram

To get a red LED you solder just the red corner to one wire and the corner labeled g (where the power comes in) to another. For a blue, the blue and the g. For purple, blue AND red and the g. All four corners will get you white or RGB control, depending on how you connect the other end of the wires.

The other end of the wire plugs into your LED controller board. If you are doing single color, you connect only that wire to one terminal, and the g wire to power. A combo color like purple, you connect BOTH color wires to one terminal, and power to the g corner. For RGB, you connect power to g and each of the three colors to a separate terminal, and in software (such as LEDBlinky) you tell it which terminal is red, green, or blue. Then you can assign the relative levels of each to make all the colors.

The LED controller may use any of several different methods for connecting, though. Some use screw terminals, some use header pins. If it's header pins, you probably want to add connectors on the end of your wires, it makes life much easier.

If you have space on the controller board, I'd wire all of them and use software to set the colors; it's less complicated wiring, really.

To wire up a Pele ring, you go through basically the same process.

PS, I apologize, I may be the person who bought out the pre-wired LEDs.  ;D

brihyn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2017, 03:44:03 pm »
Thanks. Paradise sent me the same diagram, but mounting is more of the issue.
So, anyone have a picture of how to mount the Pele LED's?

raph

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2017, 03:52:47 pm »

raph

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2017, 04:04:06 pm »
Actually, I think I pointed you to images with the wrong LED. You have the square ones. Do they fit inside the button, like the round ones in the picture? If so, the process is the same.

If not, then they might be like the other ones which are out of stock, which go on the underside of the button. Those have a little slot so you can place then on the little tabs on the button bottom. For the ones you have, I'm unsure... hot glue, maybe?

brihyn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2017, 08:24:06 am »
Thanks for everyone's help.
First, Paradise was emailing me back after initially posting here...btw, their support is awesome for anyone not yet a customer. I'll be back!
Second, i needed to order an LED for a separate project, and found that ordering a batch of 300 mixed colors through Amazon was the best route. It finally hit me a couple of nights ago that if i'm already modifying the buttons, why not just drill a hole for the LED to mount in. Soooo...i'll be modding my own lights for these.

hellquib

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 18, 2021, 10:54:23 am
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2017, 02:45:34 pm »
I just got my order from paradise today and am looking forward to getting home and seeing them. to bad though they were short by 5 led's that i need to complete me cp. Thanks Raph, lol