Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: 23-24 inch monitor  (Read 4731 times)

AlexFLA

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 25, 2017, 08:44:04 pm
  • What are you waiting for? Christmas?
23-24 inch monitor
« on: March 29, 2017, 02:32:32 pm »
Please don't judge me as I have a question about 24 inch wide screen LED IPS monitor.. I know it's not 4:3 and not CRT.
I'm building a bartop (desktop) cabinet. My only requirement for the monitor (besides being at least 22-23 inches) is control buttons on the front. I layed my eyes on Dell SE2416H as it fits my bill, but it doesn't have VESA mount. I originally wanted to attach the monitor to the screen panel and use the stand, but in case I change my mind I would like to have VESA mount as well.

Do you guys know any other monitors that have buttons on the front? I'm not planning on constantly changing any settings but just in case I need to adjust something or even turn the monitor on/off, use auto adjustment etc, I don't see how it is possible to do with all other monitors with buttons behind or on sides.

My bartop arcade draft is attached.

05SRT4

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:13:46 am
  • Check out my Pow Pow
Re: 23-24 inch monitor
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2017, 06:20:10 pm »
I usually end up de-casing these LCD monitors when using in bartops. The front panel is usually on a long ribbon which can be moved just about anywhere. I wonder if you de-case it if some VESA holes will be there hidden. I couldn't find anything on google but VESA adapters for that monitor.

mourix

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:53:16 am
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2017, 09:20:54 am »
Buttons on the back or side might actually be even more handy as there will be glass/plexi in front of the monitor. If you need to adjust something, just open the back door and press the buttons!

ed12

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2018, 03:44:39 pm
  • it is what it is..."Nobody Said It Was Easy"....
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2017, 11:36:16 am »
if u remove the inner back panel to gain access to the stand screws
the vesa mount is right there
the mount is hidden by access panel cover

ed
Shipping something from the U.S. to Canada for repair/exchange?  Please use USPS to avoid (additional?/excessive?) shipping charges.  PM me if you have any questions.

ugleymatt

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 11, 2022, 12:13:37 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2017, 05:34:22 pm »
I usually end up de-casing these LCD monitors when using in bartops. The front panel is usually on a long ribbon which can be moved just about anywhere. I wonder if you de-case it if some VESA holes will be there hidden. I couldn't find anything on google but VESA adapters for that monitor.

How easy is it to de-case a LCD, and what advantage does it give you? Wondering if its something for me to consider with my bartop build.

05SRT4

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:13:46 am
  • Check out my Pow Pow
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2017, 06:32:43 pm »
I would recommended trying it, there's gotta be some hidden VESA mounts in there.

Its not that hard, maybe google or youtube it and get a good idea, Usually there are some  screws or its all clipped together. Just keep any tools away from the LCD display, dont want any scratches.

The advantage is more space, if there are mounts or if you possibly find any other screw holes that can be used it would be more solid build.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:06:39 am
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2017, 11:23:54 pm »
Sometimes the VESA mounts are covered by plastic or a sticker -- the corner holes weren't originally there.

Scott

AlexFLA

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2017, 11:56:50 am »
It looks like most Dell monitors have VESA mount hidden behind the stand. However, I decided to go with a different monitor as Dell has 6ms response time (not sure if I will be able to notice it, but there are quite a few monitors with 2ms).

AlexFLA

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2017, 10:12:54 am »
I decided to use this monitor in my build: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-25-ips-led-hd-monitor-natural-silver/5029703.p?skuId=5029703. It was on sale for $149 just a few days ago. It doesn't have vesa mount but I decided to use the stand. Also, my primary reason was that this monitor is very thin and I could fit 10X8X8 sub behind it in my bartop arcade. I'm going to start a new topic in Project Announcement section soon.
Just a side question about the frame. As my cabinet will be 24" wide, this monitor will leave me with approx. 1.5" on each side (I'm also going to cover the bezel) and I'm hesitating between cutting a rectangle in 24X24 piece of plywood or attaching narrow pieces on each side. What would be the best solution? I'm concerned about how straight my cuts would be if I decide to cut the hole vs using pre-made 1.5" pieces of wood.