Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Finished! *** EVH Build ***  (Read 11449 times)

NIVO

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 08, 2022, 12:32:13 pm
  • danny_galaga is my mail man.
    • N.A.M.E. - arcade cabinet project
Finished! *** EVH Build ***
« on: March 28, 2017, 09:20:30 pm »
Not much in the details to give you just yet. Parts are arriving daily and I begin the build shortly. Its time I build again for myself for once. Just a placeholder announcement at this time. GAME ON!
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 07:29:00 am by NIVO »

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+45)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:37:53 pm
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
Re: New Bartop coming soon!
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2017, 04:35:28 pm »
 :pics

NIVO

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2017, 06:40:23 pm »
you betcha, all the way through if i can remember to keep thee ole camera handy. hell i cant find my keys half the time lol.

NIVO

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2017, 11:27:49 am »
ok here are some packaging pics. Unfortunately the large carton was damaged in a few spots. The good news is, when you buy from a quality company with high standards, you also get high quality protection of your item(s). As far as I can see there is no apparent damage to any of the parts inside. Again, this would have been trash if it wasnt for Haruman packing it so well. +Eleventy  :cheers:

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2017, 11:32:21 am »
Holy cow, looked like they might have kicked that one a few times.  Glad it made it safe.   :cheers:

NIVO

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2017, 11:33:51 am »
thanks to your packing no doubt hehe. Cuts looks razor clean on the pieces ive looked at so far. Top Notch! Got some more pics coming of some of the guts too.

NIVO

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2017, 12:01:34 pm »
Some of the parts going in:

Boss P45.4C 4" speakers. These are 4 way and full range. Obviously not cream of the crop here, but will sound pretty darn good compared to cheap assed $3 paper cones.

Drok TDA7297 mini amp(these are great amps if you have never tried one. Good clean sound for a small amp)

1 1/2" Trackball -- this was a helluva find. Purchased a translucent extra and will have to mod this housing to light it. Shouldnt be any trouble at all. Tested it out quick and dirty on the desktop and should make for some decent gaming with a small footprint. A two finer push or flick of your thumb and youll be the Saturday night Coors Light bowling champ in no time!

3TB HDD and a 275GB SSD for storage. Can also add more HDD if needed down the road.

I contracted Malenko to build me up some artwork from scratch and damn if he didnt do a killer job. I wont reveal any of it until the build is near done/done though. But wow, im extremely happy  :applaud:

STPcore did the printing for me, and if you havent used him for this service you may want to check him out. Again my thanks Ken! Great job pal!  :cheers:

Guess thats all for now folks I'll keep updated when I have some progress to show for.

thomas_surles

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 19, 2023, 07:20:00 pm
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2017, 02:35:54 pm »
Holy cow, looked like they might have kicked that one a few times.  Glad it made it safe.   :cheers:

NIVO

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2017, 03:05:53 pm »
I guess I forgot to state the build im using from Haruman. I will be building the bartop out of the Ultimate Widescreen Kit. I've picked up a new Asus VC239H Slim Bezel Black 23" from Newegg for the monitor. IPS panel(better viewing angles) and the slim bezel was ideal. At 21" width I have minimal spacing and near bezel-less for almost full screen width to make use of that 23" interior space.

Also went with a LED light strip for the backlighting of the marquee area. Only need to terminate the end with a molex connector and im all set for that.

The plan is to get an all in one panel built utilizing a two player layout as well as a trackball and spinner. From my early calculations it wont be an issue. Updates to come later......
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 03:32:29 pm by NIVO »

Richie_jones

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 10, 2024, 02:04:21 pm
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2017, 05:33:19 pm »
Any updates?

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

NIVO

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2017, 07:07:28 pm »
still receiving parts. I did get this today from the UK.....................thanks a bunch Andy!

NIVO

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2017, 07:11:25 pm »
got the new mobo in too. and a new cpu cooler.

ASRock 970M Pro3 mATX mbo

AMD FX-8150

Cryorig M9a cooler

Corsair Dominator DDR3-2133 2 x 8gb

currently will go with an old 9500GT gpu, but that will almost definitely change. Guess thats about it for now.

Vidiot

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 10:00:17 am
  • John 3:16
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2017, 05:51:43 pm »

1 1/2" Trackball -- this was a helluva find. Purchased a translucent extra and will have to mod this housing to light it. Shouldnt be any trouble at all. Tested it out quick and dirty on the desktop and should make for some decent gaming with a small footprint. A two finer push or flick of your thumb and youll be the Saturday night Coors Light bowling champ in no time!

So where can you find a trackball like that? Any name or model numbers to look for?

NIVO

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2017, 06:36:24 pm »
it was found on ebay as a new oem part pull from a kiosk actually. Input Technologies is the name of the product.

NIVO

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2017, 04:57:22 am »
orkie dorkie....now for some eye candy. I ordered from the good folks at Paradise Arcade Shop and received my order middle of last week. I've just been extremely busy and hope to schedule some time to get this thing going soon! Sanwa JLW which is probably my all time favorite joystick are whats going in the build. Thought I'd dress it up a bit and get some cool ball tops as well.

Richie_jones

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 10, 2024, 02:04:21 pm
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2017, 11:41:44 am »
Has the bartop kit arrived yet?

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2017, 12:56:07 pm »
Has the bartop kit arrived yet?

He's had it for quite a while now. 

NIVO

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2017, 07:30:24 pm »
yep, just havent time to start. Working 16 hour days right now, but am going to try to get some time scheduled as soon as I can.

NIVO

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2017, 03:43:10 pm »
Just minor progress here, but here is the very bottom back panel. 2 Neutrik panel mount pass through ports - 1 USB 3.0 and 1 USB 2.0.

On the very left is a very small power button I recessed to help prevent accidental bumping in to it.  Woot!

Time to get some more of the tedious things done.........

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 12:46:35 am
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2017, 05:56:36 pm »
Nice! These are the details that I tend to neglect.

NIVO

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2017, 07:28:27 pm »
Thx Ken.  Managed to knock out another panel today. This is the power switch/air vent panel

NIVO

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2017, 03:42:52 pm »
ok another update. I decided not to go with the super tiny trackball and going with a more conventional size.....the 2 1/4" Got one from Jason from ClassicGames for about $25 and he shipped very quick....thx a bunch Jason! You can get one from fleabay for about the same price give or take a few bucks. Its the one you see everywhere now that is green and red when a button is pushed. Green does nothing for this build so I asked Jason if it were possible to go red all the time. He said yes he's done it before, just make it so one button is pressed all the time(doesnt interfere with other controls or using your mouse/kybd at all). So..... WOOT! that made me a happy camper.

Now these trackballs come with a small 3 button harness as well if you choose to have dedicated buttons. In my case I am not having dedicated buttons to the trackball. So I decided to go a step further(like we do here at BYOAC) and MOD! Inside the harness are 4 wires. You have your black(ground) and red/yellow/white. Those represent left mouse/middle/right mouse. In my case I dont care which is which, all I need is ground and one of the three. I chose yellow. Cut the harness down to the length I need, stripped the yellow and ground, and tied together with a wire nut. Sure I could solder, but its not really needed here. To keep the mod even cleaner and set in place I drilled a small hole in the side casing and ran a wire tie through to secure it in place and keep it tucked down. Nice and neat little bridged connection with no extra harness under the panel to clutter things up!

The top of lid wont be used either. Im going to mount it underneath so the ball has clearance through the hole and plexi. The mounting hole shafts molded in are exactly the same height as the encoder wheels. So a simple 1 or 2 washers and I'll have clearance for it spin freely. More to come as I move along!

Apologies again if any pics in my thread are blurry, old camera and I'm no photographer  :banghead:

NIVO

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2017, 05:32:30 pm »
Well....I guess I can scratch that entry above this one hehe. I wont be using that 2 1/4" TB after all, I  will be going with the much smaller 1 1/2" listed near the beginning of the thread. I did some more thinking/testing/monkeying around and I decided to use the smaller. #1 I get more space to craft the panel. #2 I didn't REALLY like the spin on that 2 1/4". The small one actually uses proper roller bearings and spins for days. Plugged in to windows 10 the acceleration makes it fly everywhere, but should be no trouble in adjusting it in M.A.M.E. , so no worries. It is super sensitive but I gotta say I really love it. I clipped the 2 button wiring loom off at the pcb as I'll never use it that way.

So earlier I finally got that control panel routed. I must say it came out perfect, damn near CNC quality. I took it down 3/8" and then drilled the 1 3/4" hole using a forstner bit(spade bits suck). Now you might think taking that much material out of a 1/2" board is too much. I can assure you it is not. The tb weighs literally next to nothing and no screws will be used in the routed area. I'll post back once its mounted, but some angle aluminum bracket and wood inserts will do just fine. And with the plexi over the top of the panel, its just as strong and reliable as any other part of the panel will be.

NIVO

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2017, 03:28:56 pm »
Back with a quick update to mount the trackball in. Using some 1/2" angle aluminum and some 6-32 3/8" length wood inserts with 6-32 1 1/2 screws. Secure, tight, and lightweight.

NIVO

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2017, 05:45:21 pm »
The speakers have been mounted to the speaker panel. I used some nylon spacers to get the horn/tweeter off the surface of the wood and some good ole nylon lock nuts to tighten it all up. I'll probably wrap the opening between the speaker and the surface with some tape to block out light leakage from the marquee area as well.

NIVO

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2017, 04:42:39 pm »
starting to resemble something now  :applaud:  far right top "button" is no button at all.......it's a spinner  :afro:

more to come as things move along

Schnookums

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 04, 2020, 08:17:27 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2017, 01:52:03 am »
Boss P45.4C 4" speakers. These are 4 way and full range. Obviously not cream of the crop here, but will sound pretty darn good compared to cheap assed $3 paper cones.

Drok TDA7297 mini amp(these are great amps if you have never tried one. Good clean sound for a small amp)

I'm really glad you posted these, was the perfect solution for my arcade cab as well. Sound great, and for not a lot of money to boot.

NIVO

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2017, 01:19:29 pm »
glad they worked out well for you too Schnookums. Cant complain at all about them for the purpose(s) they are about to serve hehe.

NIVO

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
Re: New Bartop coming soon! *** EVH build ***
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2017, 05:41:33 pm »
Finally got the coin button panel done(less the wiring). Its in the first 3 pics below. Then you have the control panel all done(again less wiring). Like to thank Malenko again on the artwork, it came out even better than we planned imo. Also like to thank stpcore once again for the fine print work. It really is top notch and applied flawlessly. Thank you gentlemen very very much. I will show the marquee and side art once i get the cab near full assembly.

NIVO

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
Re: New Bartop coming soon! *** EVH Build ***
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2017, 02:34:48 pm »
wow, ok then. So......life happens and you don't get to work on your projects  :banghead: But here is a small update. I decided to mount the glass going just one step further and im using 1/2" x 1/2" angled aluminum to help give the glass some support. Its totally not necessary, Lee makes a damn good product. Its just something I wanted to do. But this way with the precut slot AND the brackets im in there solid. There also is enough space between the first forward hole of the speakers and the edge of the lower marquee bracket to put one across the top(which I have done). Its an exact fit for the 1/2" bracket. Dont have a pic of the top bracket but here is one for the side(s).

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2023, 11:39:06 pm
  • Build the impossible -"There is no Spoon"
    • DeLuSioNaL's YouTube Videos
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2017, 07:14:18 pm »
Subscribed.  :-)

DeL
Stop by my Youtube channel and leave a comment:

NIVO

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2017, 04:28:21 pm »
ok finally got the wiring done. The chinese wiring colors leave alot to be desired. So to clean up the spaghetti I just grabbed some wire loom and cleaned it all up. Even it looks messy I assure you its all channeled and neat, so its 5 seconds to get the connector you need in case of repair. All wire loom covers are cut to about 10" length and wire tied 3 times(1 at each end and a middle tie). Next you'll see a shot of the panel populated. And lastly, a shot of the panel lit up.

Not pictured here is the coin panel(some call it the front admin panel). Supplier sent a non led pcb version, and im awaiting the led version. The pcb's allow 20-button connection and of course 8 spots for 2 joysticks. So with 7 button per player and 4 admin buttons im at 18. Now there are 2 slots left of course, but rather than make a mess of wiring from the coin area I will simply wire all 4 to the 2nd pcb on the coin panel and run a USB lead. Just keeps everything a bit tidier imo. Need to terminate the led light strip for the marquee, mount the amp, wire it. Terminate and wire up the smart strip and lay out all the interior components/tie down the wiring. Install side art/marquee and t-mold. And that should be it for the build. Except for maybe adding some feet on the underside(not sure yet though, i'll weigh my options). And the lastly of course getting the software in and running and all mapped out. Updates to come!
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 07:26:22 pm by NIVO »

NIVO

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2017, 07:32:22 pm »
oh yea probably overkill of course, but i think im gonna pick up a GTX 1050 for the video(ti version not needed). At 2gb its more than enough, and very powerful for not using alot of power. No power cable to run  :cheers:

NIVO

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2017, 04:34:49 pm »
Last major hurdle done at this point. Monitor mounted!! I'll tape over that shiny ASUS logo and the LED before putting in the glass. Going with some dark smoked plexi to give it an even stealthier look. I did it on my jukebox, and my other arcades I've built. And I personally love how it looks. OK, more updates as I get along here.

NIVO

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2017, 08:22:27 pm »
Minor update here but I have the coin panel wired up and all together. Just need to glue it in the slot to the control panel. Using a 2nd encoder PCB to light up these 4 buttons. So, these will be recognized as either 2 game pads or 3. Will have to sort out how to get these buttons mapped at a later date, but a quick test mapping the coin buttons, MAME wanted to put them at the Joy 1 and 2 buttons(which is a big no no). So i'll get it sorted it out later. But I like the way the looks turned out for this panel.

Had purchased the GTX 1050 (Zotac brand) and was confident I'd have no issues, after all it is a very small card with no power cable requirement. But the bracket is literally 3/8" too tall and bumps into the back of the monitor. So to fix that I bought a PCIE 16x riser card to lay the card down in the slot. Also bought a PCIE 1x riser to lay the wireless card down to the floor with that ribbon extension.  I'll get some more pics as I get along. Later!

NIVO

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2017, 05:46:56 am »
well  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: pcie 16x riser card no workie. The shroud for the cooler doesnt allow me to use the card. If it were  1" to 1 1/2" taller id be good. So, I have now have a $120 brand spanking new GTX 1050 backup card. Ordered a LP GTX 1050 card which should fit perfect. Should get it today and will test fit, but I dont expect a problem.

NIVO

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2017, 03:01:02 pm »
The new card arrived, and fits in great. Even have a fat fingers worth of clearance left. Decided to leave off even the LP bracket as its not needed(it cleared as well). PSU fit no worries of course. Just have to plug everything together and velcro some stuff down and the pc is in.

NIVO

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2018, 12:27:40 am »
well things changed again, and decided to yank all the pc hardware. In its place is a Zotac Mini pc model Magnus EN1060K. Specs are Intel i7-7500, 8gb DDR4, GTX1060 6gb and a Crucial MX300 525gb SSD. Along with an external WesternDigital MyBook 5tb USB 3.0 drive. Specs are very beefy and runs anything I want. I will try and get pics up soon as time allows.

NIVO

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2018, 06:07:25 pm »
im not dead, dont put me on the cart. COnstruction is 95% finished. Hope to get pics out asap. Cya fellas.

NIVO

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
Re: Finished! *** EVH Build ***
« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2019, 07:30:57 am »
ok it took forever to get time to work on but its finished(minus finishing software setup for all systems I want on this.) My camera is junk so apologies for horrible lighting. They dont do this justice at all. But here it is: