Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: XBox & Coinops  (Read 5693 times)

EssexMame

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 03, 2024, 10:52:05 am
  • Mame Weekender
XBox & Coinops
« on: April 04, 2017, 05:13:58 am »
Can anyone point me to a beginners guide to Coinops (version 8 the current one, I believe)?

I've seen many for sale on eBay, and obviously (cheaper) unmodded ones too. Is the mod a simple one or does it need certain games to do it as I've read etc? Prices of modded vary wildly - what to look for/avoid version/install wise?

I've worked out I need a (working!) XBox console, with 1 or 2 controllers and the leads (component a preference?), with a working/refurbished drive belt (assume this was a common fault) to play the original disks (I have Halo only!) and something to be able to play arcade (Coinops, which version - 8? Massive/Premium/Lite/?), Amiga (as well as the "normal" NES/SNES, Sega etc. and ZX Spectrum and the like too)
Oh and XBMC for films also.
UnleashX / EvoX - the GUI? Which to get?

A lot to ask I know! Is it complex to set up and worth the £50 or so extra to unmodded (with a bigger HD and installs already done)?

Drnick

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2023, 01:19:48 pm
  • Plodding Through Life
Re: XBox & Coinops
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2017, 08:12:46 am »
Hello again.

I would just spend the money for a unit with bigger hard drive and installs already done. (I see plenty on Ebay, 160GB or bigger should be fine).

Unfortunately I don't have coinops on my old xbox anymore as original large hdd died otherwise I would happily give you mine.

If you want to mod it yourself there are a number of ways of doing it.  My preferred method was a specially created usb key and controller convertor along with splinter cell. Then it was a case of getting a compatible hard drive and setting it all up.  It was a bit of a PITA but once done worked fine. 

If you do want to have a go at doing it yourself I may still have a spare working Xbox under the bed, drop me a PM.

Thanks.

EssexMame

• Offline Offline
  • Mame Weekender
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2017, 10:33:43 am »
Hello again DrNick. How is the bar top ??

Still got nowhere with my build. Moved the half-cut wood with me to a new house so still hoping!

As you can see though, I'm just concerning myself with playing the games for now.

I think I'll follow your advice and get a pre-installed one. 160Gb one for £50. Includes 2 controllers, CoinOps 8 and XBMC etc etc.
seems CoinOPS 8 massive means it has certain emulators (Amiga) anyhow.
Needing Splinter Cell and a few other bits would put the prices of one to do it myself (as well as finding them in the first place).
Once I have it, is it easy to put more games on (FTP via XBMC?)
Is 160Gb enough for adding, say, Xbox games themselves? I'd not need films locally for XBMC (on NAS)
What of front end - easy to reinstall/set up a new one as/if needed?
This is the one I'm looking at:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/122418159555?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Believe CoinOPS8 Massive is 85Gb so leaves another 85Gb for whatever. Other emulators?

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 07:58:32 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2017, 11:13:46 am »
You won't need any other emulators.  Can't imagine you'd need more than another 30-40GB space to copy over the few Xbox games still worth playing.

thomas_surles

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 19, 2023, 07:20:00 pm
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2017, 11:23:08 am »
Hard drive swap is easy. I use unleash x with a 500gb hd. But i dont use emulators, i just store xbox games on mine and they take up alot of space.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2017, 11:53:03 am »
Whatever tool I used didn't partition my drive correctly, I think it turned a 160GB into a 120GB.  Even with CoinOps 7 on there, plenty of space for Burnout 3 and Gauntlet Dark Legacy.

EssexMame

• Offline Offline
  • Mame Weekender
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2017, 05:59:51 am »
Hard drive swap is easy. I use unleash x with a 500gb hd. But i dont use emulators, i just store xbox games on mine and they take up alot of space.
If I want to increase the 160Gb drive once I have it, is it a case of copying from that to the newer (e.g. 500Gb) drive?

What is a "lot" of space of the games? From what I could gather, "CoinOPS 8 Massive" is 85Gb, leaving 70Gb or so free of a 160Gb drive. Halo is a largish Xbox game, and is 3.7Gb? Is that about right? So, I'd get 25 or so games on there? I didn't have an XBox so no nostalgia attached to it, I think I'd play Halo and a few of the other rated ones only. Copy/in out of course possible as I play/don't want anymore. Assuming that is simple to do of course! (FTP via XBMC? Copy in via a NAS drive perhaps?)

Also, of the emulators installed it seems there aren't many games in some cases (e.g. Amiga). So, potentially more to be added (though I guess some removed when not needed also). Is that possible/simple to do?

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2017, 10:08:36 am »
Well, Xbox games shipped on DVD, so at most they're going to be 9.4GB.  They're also piss-easy to trim content on, I used to find the video for the cinematic intros, delete it, and rename a copy of something else to the same thing.  (intro.bik replaced with a copy of rarelogo.bik or whatever)  That'd usually knock a gig or so off everything.

thomas_surles

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2017, 02:32:22 pm »
Well, Xbox games shipped on DVD, so at most they're going to be 9.4GB.  They're also piss-easy to trim content on, I used to find the video for the cinematic intros, delete it, and rename a copy of something else to the same thing.  (intro.bik replaced with a copy of rarelogo.bik or whatever)  That'd usually knock a gig or so off everything.
I think you meant 4.9gb

thomas_surles

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2017, 02:37:29 pm »
If I want to increase the 160Gb drive once I have it, is it a case of copying from that to the newer (e.g. 500Gb) drive?

What is a "lot" of space of the games? From what I could gather, "CoinOPS 8 Massive" is 85Gb, leaving 70Gb or so free of a 160Gb drive. Halo is a largish Xbox game, and is 3.7Gb? Is that about right? So, I'd get 25 or so games on there? I didn't have an XBox so no nostalgia attached to it, I think I'd play Halo and a few of the other rated ones only. Copy/in out of course possible as I play/don't want anymore. Assuming that is simple to do of course! (FTP via XBMC? Copy in via a NAS drive perhaps?)

Also, of the emulators installed it seems there aren't many games in some cases (e.g. Amiga). So, potentially more to be added (though I guess some removed when not needed also). Is that possible/simple to do?

If you wanted to upgrade the hdd a second time you would have to do it the same way as the first time and lock it to the xbox.
Yes Ftp is the way to go. You can do transfers by flash drive with an adapter but usb 1.0 takes FOREVER.
Removing unused emulators is as simple as just deleting it.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:59:21 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2017, 03:12:55 pm »
Man I've still got to pickup a new xbox.  Repairs are piling up. 

I actually think that most xbox games are around 5-6 gigs.  It was very late in the xbox's lifecycle that games started taking up a full disc. 

EssexMame

• Offline Offline
  • Mame Weekender
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2017, 04:12:52 am »
Thanks all. I've ordered the 160Gb, 2 official controllers & leads, for £50. Should arrive today though I'll only get to try it out at the weekend anyhow!

thomas_surles

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2017, 04:18:47 am »
If you see an option in the menu to unlock your hard drive, DO NOT DO IT. I made that mistake before and now ithat xbox is in a console parts box. I did eventually steal the dvd drive from it to fix another xbox, so not a total loss.

Drnick

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2023, 01:19:48 pm
  • Plodding Through Life
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2017, 07:18:05 am »
Hello again DrNick. How is the bar top ??

Still got nowhere with my build. Moved the half-cut wood with me to a new house so still hoping!

As you can see though, I'm just concerning myself with playing the games for now.

I think I'll follow your advice and get a pre-installed one. 160Gb one for £50. Includes 2 controllers, CoinOps 8 and XBMC etc etc.
seems CoinOPS 8 massive means it has certain emulators (Amiga) anyhow.
Needing Splinter Cell and a few other bits would put the prices of one to do it myself (as well as finding them in the first place).
Once I have it, is it easy to put more games on (FTP via XBMC?)
Is 160Gb enough for adding, say, Xbox games themselves? I'd not need films locally for XBMC (on NAS)
What of front end - easy to reinstall/set up a new one as/if needed?
This is the one I'm looking at:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/122418159555?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Believe CoinOPS8 Massive is 85Gb so leaves another 85Gb for whatever. Other emulators?

Glad to hear you are concentrating on the game playing.  I almost feel sad for Doctonicade,  All those hours building it and then i had at most maybe 10 Hours play.  For me its more about the build of something then enjoying it afterwards.  I spent last spring/summer digging out the back garden putting in a 6ft retaining wall (Made of railway sleepers). Built a shed, decked it all out.  I haven't spent more than 2 nights out there since completing it :)  This year I plan on finishing the top half of the garden and building a new jukebox to go in the shed.