Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: FINISHED: Bartop Build using Haruman Widescreen 2p  (Read 20660 times)

rave0035

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 01, 2021, 11:02:21 pm
  • Disassemble First, Ask Questions Later...
FINISHED: Bartop Build using Haruman Widescreen 2p
« on: March 25, 2017, 09:58:23 pm »
UPDATE: We're gonna call this guy finished, despite needing a few finishing touches.  'Final' photos added here...

This is my second start at building a cab.  My first attempt got derailed by other projects and a second kid, etc...  :blah:

Now that my daughter is getting older, I'm re-motivated.  Since the woodworking what was deterred me the first time, I decided to find a kit to use.  I recently pulled the trigger on a Haruman Widescreen Bartop 2p (http://shop.harumancustoms.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=59&product_id=51) in black melamine.  It will be a few weeks before it arrives, but I thought I'd start a build thread in the meantime.

If anyone here has built one of these and have any recommendations on hardware, I'm all ears!

Project Specs (I'll update this list as I finalize decisions):

Cabinet
Kit: Haruman Widescreen Bartop 2p (http://shop.harumancustoms.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=59&product_id=51)
Graphics: Custom artwork created by Malenko based on my (awful) notes and sketches.  Printed by his guy on vinyl with air-release adhesive -- very easy to install.
T-Molding: 1/2" Black.  I need to get some 3/4" for the CP now that I've installed the plexi.
Bezel: Paint n' Plexiglass (installed monitor, marked and taped, several thin layers of semi-gloss black)
Marquee Lights: 12v LED Strips with 'wall wort' PS, wired using the UIO as a relay, so they can be controlled by LEDBlinky.

Control Panel:
Joysticks: Sanwa JLW-TM-8 type, ball top
Buttons: Ultimarc Classic RGB (CP), Goldleaf (admin panel)
'Extra' buttons n' switches: Fused power switch, arcade button for PC power switch
Admin Buttons: The green buttons use shift (on the admin panel).  Exit, Save State, Menu (goes to emul menu), Vol +/-, Load State, Save Slot, Pause, Reset.
Encoder: iPac UIO (REALLY great product)

PC and Peripherals:
PC Specs: HP Desktop w 6200 Intel Core i3 2100 (3.10 GHz) 4 GB DDR3 500 GB HDD Intel HD Graphics 2000 Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Monitor: AOC E2260SWDN Black 21.5" 5ms Widescreen LED Backlight LCD DVI Monitor (NOTE: I had this lying around.  Viewing angles are not great on this.  I would try out a few monitors if I had this to do again... the expense of getting this right is worth it.)

Audio
Amp: Pyle PTA1 15w Stereo Amp (http://www.parts-express.com/pyle-pta1-mini-2x15w-stereo-amplifier--310-2046)
Speakers: Boss BRS40 4" Full-Range Drivers

Software:
Frontend: HyperSpin
Emulators: MAME, ZNES (SNES), Kega Fusion (Genesis), FCEUX (NES)

The world is my oyster.   :applaud:
Mike
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 08:35:55 am by rave0035 »
You can't truly know how something works until you've ruined it by taking it apart.

mafiafan123

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 01, 2022, 01:13:01 pm
  • i'd buy that for a dollar
Re: Bartop Build using Haruman Widescreen 2p
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2017, 11:00:20 pm »
HaRuMaN kits are awesome I'm sure you will like it! Any ideas on a theme or what you would like it to run?

Pyle amps sound better than kinter to me check out the build I did using one of HaRuMaN kits

I'll be finishing it soon.

Also try theses speakers maybe or look into them they sound great and didn't break the bank

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001RNNX80/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_apa_u9Y1ybDT5P8EH

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 11:04:31 pm by mafiafan123 »

rave0035

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2017, 11:07:29 pm »
First things first - I need a PC to run with this.  I don't know how much room I've got to work with in the bowels of this thing.  If anyone here has experience, chime in.

I'd like to run Hyperspin. 
I'm frugal (read: cheap).
I'm looking to run MAME, Atari, NES, SNES, Genesis.  No arcade games newer than MK3. 

Think any of these would work?
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883282052
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA8VG3753653
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883283948

Mike
You can't truly know how something works until you've ruined it by taking it apart.

rave0035

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2017, 11:14:46 pm »
HaRuMaN kits are awesome I'm sure you will like it! Any ideas on a theme or what you would like it to run?

Pyle amps sound better than kinter to me....

Also try theses speakers maybe or look into them they sound great and didn't break the bank

Nice and thanks!  Audio restoration is my main hobby, so the Pyle is something I've got sitting around in a pile of gear.  I'll hack the volume pot so it's accessible from the cabinet somewhere.

For the theme, I really like simple retro designs.  I've got a creative friend helping me with some preliminary design ideas that I'll hopefully post soon.  I'm certainly not opposed to some kitchy wood laminate vinyl styles.  Not sure what I'll call it yet either.

Mike

05SRT4

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 04:31:35 pm
  • Check out my Pow Pow
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2017, 11:33:10 pm »

I'll hack the volume pot so it's accessible from the cabinet somewhere.

You dont really need to. Most encoders come with a shift function that will allow you to adjust the volume via buttons. I use the Ultimarc Ipac and have my buttons setup so when I press and hold the player one button down, Up and Down on the P1 joystick adjusts the volume.

Also on the note of using a refurbished PC, check your local craigslist/classifieds you may find the same kind of system for even cheaper.

mafiafan123

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2017, 01:05:08 am »
I had an old Dell XPS gen 3 and that would run everything and I'm sure plus more so I would guess most p4's will with at least 512mb ram and a cheap graphics card

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rave0035

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2017, 09:08:50 pm »
I've read quite a few posts about folks struggling with Hyperspin.  I don't need ALL the bells and whistles, but I'd like the

Still think I roll the dice with a P4 and a cheap graphics card?  I don't want to buy more computer than I need, but I would hate to get something that doesn't quite cut it, either.

RE: The control panel - what 'extra' buttons would folks recommend?  I'm considering adding Save State / Load State buttons, as well as a switch to flip between save states.  Other useful buttons I should be considering?

Mike

Ian

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2021, 01:50:35 am
  • "A day without Laughter is a day wasted"
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2017, 01:43:59 pm »
I've read quite a few posts about folks struggling with Hyperspin.  I don't need ALL the bells and whistles, but I'd like the

Still think I roll the dice with a P4 and a cheap graphics card?  I don't want to buy more computer than I need, but I would hate to get something that doesn't quite cut it, either.

RE: The control panel - what 'extra' buttons would folks recommend?  I'm considering adding Save State / Load State buttons, as well as a switch to flip between save states.  Other useful buttons I should be considering?

Mike

I have an exit button. That's about it. I did "hide" a tab and pause buttons on my machine so I can alter the controls as I need it and I tend to pause my games a lot. I guess everyone is different. But yeah I never really thought about saving or loading games. Don't think I would use that much at all.

Ian
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

Peabo

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2021, 05:00:21 pm
  • Pinball junkie
    • Virtual Pinball Build
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2017, 10:27:53 am »

Mike

I've used a couple of Haruman's kits, you'll want a micro atx or an itx board.  I'd stay away from a P4 due to the heat they generate.  I used an ITX board with an I3-2120, 4gb ram in the build I did for my brother.  It runs Hyperspin w/ Mame .162 and consoles up to dreamcast without an issue.  Anything in Mame before 1995 run without issue.  The power supply you use will be the biggest hurdle.

I use the Ipac 2 in most cases (rpi builds are the exceptions).  What buttons you use are up to you.  Coin, P1, P2 and pause are the only ones outside of player controls I've ever needed.  I use coin+p1 to exit/esc

rave0035

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2017, 09:30:59 pm »
Thanks guys.  Strongly leaning towards a refurb'd i3 unit since I can get one with an OS for much less than I could build one for. 

Newegg has a 2100 HD and a 2120 system that are relatively comparable, and both come with Windows 10 64bit.  Any thoughts?  Tough to tell what the PSU will look like...

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883282052
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883285711

Mike

05SRT4

• Offline Offline
  • Check out my Pow Pow
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2017, 11:03:31 pm »
Im sure the PSU will not be an issue. I was able to fit a Full ATX in the Ultimate widescreen kit.

Ive been using AMD APU A6 builds and they run Hyperspin well. I googled and its said the i3 is massively better so I think you will be fine with any of those.

Peabo

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2021, 05:00:21 pm
  • Pinball junkie
    • Virtual Pinball Build
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2017, 11:32:19 am »
The PSU on the small form factor units will have no problems fitting in the bartop

rave0035

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2017, 08:41:56 am »
Nice!  Ordered.

What monitors have folks used for this rig?

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 06:29:49 am
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2017, 09:09:44 am »
You kind of bought the wrong kit. If all of the games you want to emulate are pre-widescreen then you don't want a widescreen monitor. I am not sure how it would look to have a 4:3 monitor in that kit.

rave0035

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2017, 07:59:40 pm »
You kind of bought the wrong kit. If all of the games you want to emulate are pre-widescreen then you don't want a widescreen monitor. I am not sure how it would look to have a 4:3 monitor in that kit.
Sure.  Not a lot of 4:3 kit options for a 2-player bartop that I've found.  So -- I appreciate the input, but this is where I'm at.  An accurate reproduction machine this is not.

Not sure if I'll stretch a little or go live with the letterboxing... maybe I can design a killer bezel for the sides of the monitor to accommodate the black lines?
What have others done in this situation?

Mike

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 12:41:11 am
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2017, 08:03:37 pm »
Sure.  Not a lot of 4:3 kit options for a 2-player bartop that I've found.  So -- I appreciate the input, but this is where I'm at.  An accurate reproduction machine this is not.

Not sure if I'll stretch a little or go live with the letterboxing... maybe I can design a killer bezel for the sides of the monitor to accommodate the black lines?
What have others done in this situation?

Mike

Ugh, don't stretch. Pillarbox all the way.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

rave0035

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2017, 09:43:07 pm »
Ugh, don't stretch. Pillarbox all the way.
Deal.  I just fired up some games on my widescreen laptop... I will. not.  stretch!

Honestly, the pillarbox really isn't that big of a deal.  On the hunt for a decent widescreen at a good price.

Mike

heykool69

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 07, 2019, 02:18:33 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2017, 06:12:10 pm »

I'll hack the volume pot so it's accessible from the cabinet somewhere.

You dont really need to. Most encoders come with a shift function that will allow you to adjust the volume via buttons. I use the Ultimarc Ipac and have my buttons setup so when I press and hold the player one button down, Up and Down on the P1 joystick adjusts the volume.

Also on the note of using a refurbished PC, check your local craigslist/classifieds you may find the same kind of system for even cheaper.
Didn't know that.  Thanks for this helpful tip.

mafiafan123

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2017, 02:37:04 pm »
I'm using a 21in acer it fits like a glove.

Different kit though

You can always adjust the resolution and use hlsl in mame to make it like

rave0035

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2017, 09:38:42 pm »
LOTS of work to do with MAME and my ROMs, but Hyperspin seems to run well on the i3 PC.  Nice!

What NES, SNES and Genesis emulators do folks run with HS?

Mike

05SRT4

• Offline Offline
  • Check out my Pow Pow
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2017, 10:48:34 pm »
Ive always ran:

NES - Nestopia
Sega - Fusion
SNES - ZSNES

No specific reason, they just work for me so ive stuck with them.

mafiafan123

• Offline Offline
Bartop Build using Haruman Widescreen 2p
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2017, 01:26:42 pm »
LOTS of work to do with MAME and my ROMs, but Hyperspin seems to run well on the i3 PC.  Nice!

What NES, SNES and Genesis emulators do folks run with HS?

Mike

Ive always ran:

NES - Nestopia
Sega - Fusion
SNES - ZSNES

No specific reason, they just work for me so ive stuck with them.

* Correction I use the above except for ZNES I prefer Snes9x for some reason.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 01:28:42 pm by mafiafan123 »

rave0035

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2017, 05:43:12 pm »
Running into some challenges with HyperSpin and RocketLauncher.  The PC I'm working on is extremely bare-bones and has no network card... i.e. zero internet connectivity.

I need to install the MS .NET 2.0 framework on it for RL to run correctly, but I can't find an install package that will work without an internet connection.

Help?

Mike

rave0035

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2017, 09:28:07 pm »
WHOA.  Been lost down a Hyperspin rabbit hole.  I now understand why folks say it's a lot of work to set up... it's a lot of work to set up.   :dizzy:

I've got a Platinum HS acct and a Emumovies subscription, and have been hard at work getting my game wheels set, video, themes, etc.  Totally worth the effort, though.

I've decided to make this a Star Wars-themed cab... but with a little twist. 

We've got these killer posters (https://www.etsy.com/listing/97520079/star-wars-inspired-art-print-movie) framed in our basement, and I'd like to keep this motif going:

It's Star Wars done in the style of a 70's sci fi novel dust cover... bitchin'.  The wife asked if I could keep the color palate, so that's what I'm out to do. 

First step: Where can I find burnt orange, light blue, and olive green buttons???

Mike

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:26:41 am
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2017, 11:19:50 pm »
Where can I find burnt orange, light blue, and olive green buttons???
Ultimarc Goldleaf buttons are good for light blue.

If the orange and green buttons aren't the desired shade, you might be able to use white buttons and Rit dye.   ;D

Scott

rave0035

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2017, 09:02:48 pm »
Nice!  Are those decent buttons?  The blue and green are actually quite good... I wish the orange was a little more pastel and a little less neon.

Not a good idea to mix n' match buttons in a 6-button setup, right?

Considering a relatively minimalist design, and tastefully awesome use of faux-wood.  A few examples of inspiration below...

Stay tuned for more.
Mike

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:26:41 am
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2017, 09:52:18 pm »
Nice!  Are those decent buttons? 
Yes, Goldleafs are good buttons.

The blue and green are actually quite good... I wish the orange was a little more pastel and a little less neon.
Buttons are inexpensive and so is Rit dye.

What do you have to lose?    ;D

Another option is RGB LED buttons like these.

Not a good idea to mix n' match buttons in a 6-button setup, right?
Mixing and matching different types of buttons in a six button setup is usually not the best idea.

- Some buttons have noticeably different bezel profiles.

- Different button/switch/spring combinations require different amounts of force to press the button.

- Some buttons have "clicky" microswitches (like Happ buttons) and some have "non-clicky" switches. (Sanwa, Seimitsu, Goldleaf, GGG Micro-Leaf™, GGG True-Leaf Pro™)

Scott

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2023, 11:39:06 pm
  • Build the impossible -"There is no Spoon"
    • DeLuSioNaL's YouTube Videos
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2017, 11:22:45 am »
Have you considered Running Retropie since it's a Bartop?  They have a very small footprint and the Raspberry Pi 3 is powerful enough to run the games you want and then some.

Here's a Setup video on how easy it is:
! No longer available

Here's a video on HyperPie (which is based on the Hyperspin look):
! No longer available

Pair that up with two cheap Xin Mo adapters and you're in business.
https://www.amazon.com/Reyann-Arcade-Encoder-Joystick-Fighting/dp/B00UUROWWK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1497367253&sr=8-2&keywords=xin+mo

Plenty of options out there!   :applaud:

P.S. - I did a Haruman's customs review on my channel for the Mini-tendo bartop kit if you want to get an idea how to assemble it and such.

Good Luck!

DeL
Stop by my Youtube channel and leave a comment:

rave0035

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2018, 03:31:21 pm »
Digging this up because a recent PM reminded me I haven't updated this.

Cab is completed, running, and 90% complete.  Still need to do the artwork and the T-molding, and build a dedicated shelf for this thing, but otherwise all the remaining issues are just around tightening up the software and game-specific nuances.  A few photos below... sorry for their abysmal quality! 

I ended up using a small form factor i3, and it fit... although it's a tight squeeze in there, and I regret not upgrading to an SSD.  The Asus 22" monitor was a great choice - I did a custom bezel using my favorite 3/4 gloss black spraypaint, which matches the melamine exactly. 

I went with the Ultimarc iPac I/O, and I can't recommend this hardware or the company enough... it's been so slick.  The pre-rolled harness is also quite nice - I can see the appeal of rolling your own, but for something like this it made a ton of sense. 

I also ended up using Ultimarc's RGB buttons on top and I'm SO happy with them, despite the price.  Photos don't capture how beautiful these things are, and how nice they look on or off.  I've spend a fair bit of time with individual system setup and getting the cab colors right depending on the game, system, etc.  It's impressive!

Front panel buttons are goldleafs, which are nice buttons as well... no 'click' if that's what you're going after, and nice and short for a space like this.  One of the three admin buttons on each side is the iPac Shift... here's a picture of what my panel does.  Labels in red are activated using the shift function.  I've found this to be a very functional setup, and nobody ever messes things up unintentionally.

As for art, I still need to find someone to help.  Although I've jettisoned the Star Wars theme, I'm sticking with a retro-inspired stripes and faux-wood theme, although I'm totally out of inspiration for the CP.  Any thoughts or suggestions?

I'll update my OP as I have time with specs.  Thanks to this whole community for the wealth of info out there that's helped me get this thing running!  I run in a few hobby circles, and this is one of the most informed and supportive communities that I've come across.

Mike

« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 06:13:08 pm by rave0035 »

barrymossel

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 29, 2021, 11:25:52 am
  • Spectrum
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,157647.0.html
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2018, 09:40:54 am »
Your pictures don't seem to work. Might be a rights-problem...
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 01:42:30 pm by barrymossel »

rave0035

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2018, 09:16:30 pm »
Thanks for the heads up...

How 'bout now?

Mike

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 01:15:07 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2018, 09:27:17 pm »
Thanks for the heads up...

How 'bout now?

Mike

no dice for most of them. Why not just host them here?
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

rave0035

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2018, 06:43:41 pm »
Last try... stupid Google photos. 

Don't want to host here since my photos need to be resized and I'm far too lazy for that.

Anything?

Mike

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+45)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:50:16 pm
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2018, 08:10:10 pm »
Use imgur

rave0035

• Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2018, 06:14:22 pm »
Thanks for the tip on Imgur.  WAAAAAAAAAAAY slicker.

Updated.

Any Sunday evening inspiration for the CP?

Mike

busbeepbeep

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 14, 2024, 12:37:02 am
  • Just trying not to break anything
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2018, 09:11:32 am »
Can you access the volume control on your amplifier? Or can you control the volume thru software buttons?  I've built a similar Haruman kit, and also have one of those Lepai amps, but I'm not sure where to mount it. 

05SRT4

• Offline Offline
  • Check out my Pow Pow
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2018, 10:09:18 am »
Can you access the volume control on your amplifier? Or can you control the volume thru software buttons?  I've built a similar Haruman kit, and also have one of those Lepai amps, but I'm not sure where to mount it.

Depending on your setup you can map some buttons to control the volume.

busbeepbeep

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 14, 2024, 12:37:02 am
  • Just trying not to break anything
« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2018, 10:33:51 am »
I'm using a RPi3 running retropie and attract mode/hyperpie.    Running an ipac2 so I guess I'd have to find the software volume bindings for all the different emulators.

barrymossel

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 29, 2021, 11:25:52 am
  • Spectrum
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,157647.0.html
« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2018, 12:32:50 pm »
I'm using a RPi3 running retropie and attract mode/hyperpie.    Running an ipac2 so I guess I'd have to find the software volume bindings for all the different emulators.
Check https://www.reddit.com/r/RetroPie/comments/3fegw2/volume_control_from_available_arcade_button/ and https://retropie.org.uk/forum/topic/2377/control-volume-through-retroarch-with-keyboard