Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Well, why not try this out...  (Read 3255 times)

Ninja69Assassin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 28, 2017, 11:59:37 am
  • I pay for everything I refuse to pay for...
Well, why not try this out...
« on: March 25, 2017, 02:38:43 pm »
Good morning everyone!

Name is Michael, I'm a total DIY misfit and going to attempt to build a 60-n-1 arcade machine. I have a few questions I'm trying to nail down in a single post.

Currently, I'm going with a 8 way zippy stick, 3 button (red,yellow, blue) 2 player start buttons, a 2.25 trackball, and a 19in 4:3 lcd monitor - something from Dell.

Questions I'm trying to narrow down...

The control panel, I've managed to figure out the buttons and stick but can't figure out the way to flush the trackball. Is there an ideal thickness I should use for control board? Using 3/4 ply on rest of cabinet. With 3/4inch the buttons do okay and the joystick is okay (short but okay) - darn ball in a ball is a headache.

Where is the world is the power switch on the 60-n-1 jamma power supply piece? I'm feeling like I need a plug to go into a wall somewhere...

Bezel...under or over the plexiglass - been seeing information all over the map on this one.

Angle of the monitor? Going upright cabinet, 23inches wide not including 3/4 in sides.

Any opening help is welcome - been watching boards for awhile and jumping off now!

Photos is all of me randomly seeing how it goes. When I said a DIY misfit....I was not kidding. Just cutting a line straight is a problem for me....no woodshop in HS, office job, etc.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 02:58:49 pm by Ninja69Assassin »

Nephasth

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 11:02:52 pm
  • Bitches love Centipede
Re: Well, why not try this out...
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2017, 02:53:53 pm »
1. It's a 60in1... don't bother with a ---smurfing--- trackball.
B. There are a variety of power supplies you could use with a 60in1. Post a pic of yours.
Third - It's your build, do what you want.
Precisely 33 1/3 degrees. No more. No less. Don't ---fudgesicle--- this up.
%Bartop

JDFan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2017, 03:28:29 pm »
The control panel, I've managed to figure out the buttons and stick but can't figure out the way to flush the trackball. Is there an ideal thickness I should use for control board? Using 3/4 ply on rest of cabinet. With 3/4inch the buttons do okay and the joystick is okay (short but okay) - darn ball in a ball is a headache.

Since you mention it being 23" wide - you could buy a metal Control panel made for a 60in1 type setup for about $35 shipped ( http://www.ebay.com/itm/Multicade-Control-Panel-w-2-1-4-trackball-hole-f-Pacman-Galaga-Arcades-More-/331157615590?hash=item4d1a8833e6 ) Since the trackball is designed for a metal CP and this would also fix the joystick depth !
Specs from listing  :
- Trackball size 2 1/4 Inches , no adapter plate needed for Happ 2-1/4 Inch trackballs PN: 56-5500-11

- 23 Inches Wide panel
- uses standard size ball top joysticks
- Extra button holes for multi game play
- Durable Powder Coating finish
- 16 Gage steel design

Dimentions: 23 Inches wide by 6-7/8 deep (584mm by 175mm)
Shipping wieght 6 Lbs.

Where is the world is the power switch on the 60-n-1 jamma power supply piece? I'm feeling like I need a plug to go into a wall somewhere...

The Power supply is the thing that plugs into the wall and th +12V and +5V lines from it go to the Jamma connector !

Bezel...under or over the plexiglass - been seeing information all over the map on this one.
Usually Under !

Angle of the monitor? Going upright cabinet, 23inches wide not including 3/4 in sides.

Up to you as it will vary depending on height of cab and placement of monitor - Just test mount and adjust to get a good viewing angle.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 03:30:54 pm by JDFan »

Ninja69Assassin

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2017, 03:33:05 pm »
Okay, so I probably need to buy another part because nothing I have included in the package has any shot of plugging into a wall.

JDFan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2017, 03:45:32 pm »
Okay, so I probably need to buy another part because nothing I have included in the package has any shot of plugging into a wall.

You just need to cut an extension cord ( to use the wall plug and then attach the 3 wires from the extension cord to the Power supply inputs - then the Power Supply +12V and +5V wires go to the 60in1 through the Jamma connector.
FOr example this power supply you would connect the 3 extnsion cord lines to the bottom 3 connections labelled  ( FG AC/N and AC/L )

FG is Field Ground
AC/N and AC/L are the other 2 inputs (live/hot and nuetral)

« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 03:52:37 pm by JDFan »

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 04:47:42 am
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2017, 03:58:13 pm »
Like JDFan said, connect a standard electrical cord to the AC and FG screws near the bottom of your power supply.

- Black wire = hot

- White wire = neutral

- Green wire = ground (connect to FG)

"FG" = field ground/frame ground = ground your metal parts (coin door, trackball frame, etc.) here to prevent static buildup and possible ElectroStatic Discharge (ESD) damage to your electronic parts.

Scott

Ninja69Assassin

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2017, 08:36:53 pm »
I see, I've got so much more to learn but think I've found the right place.

Not trying to be that guy, but this is all foreign and when I think I get it, I lose it. I kept seeing power on button like the photo and had a different expectation of how it'd hook up.

I run the power to this thing and a cord from this thingy to the wall - got it :)

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 04:47:42 am
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2017, 09:23:51 pm »
I run the power to this thing and a cord from this thingy to the wall - got it :)
That's called an IEC power inlet.

Read more about how to wire it and what type of fuse you need at https://web-beta.archive.org/web/20150928061832/http://newwiki.arcadecontrols.com:80/index.php?title=Wiring#IEC_Fused_Power_Inlet_with_a_Lighted_Switch.

The wall outlet to IEC power inlet cable comes in on the left side of this diagram (Socket) and the right side goes to your switching power supply. (Cabinet Power)

Scott

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2024, 06:19:27 pm
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2017, 05:23:12 pm »
Those 60-n-1 use 4 way controlled games. Don't get the 8 way joystick - get a 4-way.

Haze

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 04, 2023, 08:30:02 am
    • MAME Development Blog
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2017, 05:34:57 pm »
Those 60-n-1 use 4 way controlled games. Don't get the 8 way joystick - get a 4-way.

Have you tried playing Scramble with a 4-way?

I guess people giving advice like this is why the only times I've actually seen 4-way sticks have been in completely inappropriate cases like this one.

I've seen very pretty cocktail tables, where clearly a lot of love has been put into the actually table, inexplicably running these god-awful 60-in-1 boards, and even more inexplicably with 4 way sticks thrown in them, presumably because somebody designing the cabinet for mass production thought they were more 'retro' when really those sticks only apply to a small subset of the games.  Almost as if aesthetics, and 'retro-ness' trumped playability in the design process, clearly no understanding of the actual games.

The 60-in-1 etc. stuff is junk, but making it unplayable junk while still taking money off people is an extra level of scamming them.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 05:37:01 pm by Haze »

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2017, 11:53:06 pm »
I have found the more honest builders install the 4-way and then turn off the 8-way and analog games. Those games are fewer in number and have more sound issues than the 4-way ones do.

I guess people giving advice like this is why the only times I've actually seen 4-way sticks have been in completely inappropriate cases like this one.

I've seen very pretty cocktail tables, where clearly a lot of love has been put into the actually table, inexplicably running these god-awful 60-in-1 boards, and even more inexplicably with 4 way sticks thrown in them, presumably because somebody designing the cabinet for mass production thought they were more 'retro' when really those sticks only apply to a small subset of the games.  Almost as if aesthetics, and 'retro-ness' trumped playability in the design process, clearly no understanding of the actual games.

The 60-in-1 etc. stuff is junk, but making it unplayable junk while still taking money off people is an extra level of scamming them.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

Ninja69Assassin

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2017, 03:09:46 pm »
I'm learning a lot in a short amount of time. Didn't like first cabinet I cut so I did it over, like this one more - debating what size monitor to put in in though.

Any good links to the montior backing, mounting, and covering? Putting pieces together but information overload.

Few new progress pics also. Next piece I'm doing is cutting front, back, and panel. I've used 3/4 ply so far...thinking of 1/4 for rear to save weight - thoughts? Also, I've read posts on using a router to mount the joystick or trackball....is that regular or plunge router?

paigeoliver

• Offline Offline
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2017, 12:19:23 am »
Lets talk about weight savings.

I am a 380 fat dude that has a pretty bad limp.

I could carry a plywood cabinet with an LCD down the basement steps by my self. Any 2 random 13 year old boys could bring it up or down, no problem. No need to try to cut weight by skimping on the back panel.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

CheffoJeffo

• Cheffo's right! ---saint
  • Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 02, 2024, 01:02:45 pm
  • Worthless button pusher!
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2017, 09:10:35 am »

I don't think Haze is far off the mark here regarding playability.

I run two 60-in-1s -- one classic 4-way Wico only and one 8-way Wico with trackball.

If I had to choose between them, I'd choose the 8-way with trackball without much hesitation.
Working: Not Enough
Projects: Too Many
Progress: None

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:58:22 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2017, 10:17:03 am »

Have you gained 150 pounds in the last 10 years??

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2017, 11:36:52 am »

I think you should bet him $20 to lose it, and not pay him afterwards.   :lol
If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2017, 11:40:06 am »
You didn't actually lose it.

:cheers:

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2017, 11:59:09 am »
You didn't actually lose it.

:cheers:

I did at the time, but unfortunately crept back on.  Next time I should read the fine print on your offers.  :lol

380 is easy to lose, but must put a toll on your heart.

Why a 60 in one?  Why not a cheap PC and some legal roms?

CheffoJeffo

• Cheffo's right! ---saint
  • Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 02, 2024, 01:02:45 pm
  • Worthless button pusher!
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2017, 12:03:18 pm »
Dave Foley is your man.  He will get you some low cost legal games.
Working: Not Enough
Projects: Too Many
Progress: None

paigeoliver

• Offline Offline
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2017, 12:50:55 pm »
Basically yes.

I think you should bet him $20 to lose it, and not pay him afterwards.   :lol

Cynicaster

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 22, 2021, 12:12:55 pm
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2017, 02:00:01 pm »

I've played a few 60-in-1 machines out in the wild and I have always been a bit taken aback by how bloody awful they are compared to playing on my MAME cabinet at home.  Crappy sounds, glitchy games, and yes, 4-way sticks paired with game lists containing lots of 8-way titles. 

Next piece I'm doing is cutting front, back, and panel. I've used 3/4 ply so far...thinking of 1/4 for rear to save weight - thoughts?

Not a very good idea, IMO, especially for the back panel.  The back is structurally quite important, to keep the cabinet sturdy.  With a flimsy 1/4" back, I'd be worried about the cabinet being wobbly.  On that note, don't forget to glue-and-screw during assembly. 

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2017, 02:00:56 pm »
Basically yes.

Ouch, man.  That midwest food scene is brutal.  I crept up over 300 when I lived in St. Louis.   :embarassed:

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:19:17 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2017, 05:57:44 pm »
I LOLed
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2024, 06:19:27 pm
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2017, 08:48:25 pm »

You make a good point in that not all the games on a 60-n-1 are 4 way games, but nearly half are. Only a dozen are so are 8 ways. The rest use 2 way and a couple use trackball. If anything, a "small subset" is for 8 way games.

See how I said that without sounding like an ass? Take notes Haze. I don't think it was completely inappropriate advice. I think it was advice given with me making some assumptions in that he wants to play 4 way classics.

paigeoliver

• Offline Offline
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2017, 10:04:18 pm »
Basically yes.

Ouch, man.  That midwest food scene is brutal.  I crept up over 300 when I lived in St. Louis.   :embarassed:

50 of it happened when I met my wife and quit smoking, the other hundred came when I went from being an active hotel maintenance man who walked up and down hallways all day long to a stay at home father.

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2017, 10:39:18 pm »
I LOLed

It is one of my most favorite ark-isms to date.