Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: need advice of newer cards supported by GroovyMame and CRT emudriver  (Read 3960 times)

alex2005

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 20, 2023, 09:21:14 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
I've seen in the Groovymame thread that newer ATI cards are supported with CRT emudriver, and I am looking for one which has VGA output to plug directly into my Sega Blast City.
Which would be the best card choice, considering I currently have an ArcadeVGA5000 and worth the difference? What I see currently is that some Taito X2 games are a bit slow, despite I run on a Windows 7x64 with an I5 4690.

I would use it to play GroovyMAME but also some recent emulators, so the more powerful, the better.

Any ideas (Ive been always on the nvidia side of cards, no experience with ati...)

Thanks in advance!

mitsurugi

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2020, 01:46:41 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: need advice of newer cards supported by GroovyMame and CRT emudriver
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2017, 03:39:18 am »
I'm also interested, because demul needs a really powerful graphics card direct X 11 native. With my actual graphic card i have a bug with supermodeler, taito x games and some pc games running at half speed (problems with vsync). But im no sure what graphic card will need buy....

Thanks!

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 09:44:54 pm
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2017, 07:53:12 pm »
The AVGA5000 is based on a Radeon 5450, I believe, and you can get waaaaaay more power out of something newer, which won't help in MAME because MAME is all CPU. Anything from the R9 series should be great for Demul or Supermodel though. A DVI-I port with a DVI-to-VGA adapter is the same as a VGA port. The adapter is super cheap, obviously, and the DVI-I port is easier to find on newer or more powerful cards. Not every GPU listed as being supported necessarily has a DVI-I port though, so make sure to check. They often look the same as a DVI-D port though they're not meant to, which is digital-only, and won't work.

Any GPU that has more than one fan on it might mean you need to actively vent the cab, if the cab itself doesn't already have a fan. Passive venting probably won't be enough.

@Mitsurugi - I'm having some V-sync issues as well. Let me know about any fix. It's hard to search for V-sync on this forum as it's also the term used for Vertical Sync as part of the analog video signal. I know there's info somewhere about interlaced modes running at half speed, but I can't find it, and anyway I thought it had been solved.

haynor666

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 04, 2024, 03:20:27 am
  • retro maniac
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2017, 11:43:49 am »
I know there's info somewhere about interlaced modes running at half speed, but I can't find it, and anyway I thought it had been solved.

This was valid on pre HD5xxx serie but should not happen on HD5xxx and newer. For HD4xxx and older solution was set positive sync in modelines.

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 09:44:54 pm
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2017, 12:16:38 am »
For HD4xxx and older solution was set positive sync in modelines.

Much appreciated, I'll check it out.

haynor666

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 04, 2024, 03:20:27 am
  • retro maniac
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2017, 08:25:20 am »
Bear in mind that some arcade monitors will not work with positive sync.

In practice all my TVs works fine through UMSA adapter.

schmerzkaufen

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 03, 2023, 02:27:31 pm
  • Multiple Electronic Machine Emulator
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2017, 01:16:02 pm »
Sorry for the stupid Q but: among the cards that support FreeSync, are there some that are also valid/good for crt_emudriver ?
(assuming I'd want to build a setup that can be used for either a 15khz-crt configuration, or a 31khz-freesync one)